Met Jim Goodwin

Do you wear gloves to dispense fuel?

• Yes, I’m like Jim Goodwin

Votes: 77 21.4%
  • No, I’m not a peanut vendor

Votes: 283 78.6%

• Total voters
Are people pouring the diesel over their hands or something?! WTF is going on in here.
Spot on mate. I've been driving for about 25 years (petrol and diesel), never used a glove once and I am still alive :D (and I'm usually quite OCD)

I originally wore them because I hate the smell on my hands and I'm a bit OCD. I know one guy who works for a petrochemical company and another who works at Grangemouth refinery. Both wear gloves when filling their car and when I asked them why, they both said pretty much the same thing - would you handle any other chemicals without gloves? They're there for a reason!

Are you mad mate...just grab a handfull from the garage dispenser (usually the bin) and stick a pile in your rear door card for when they've run out. A worthwhile investment for free.
It’s bandits like you that steal them all
meaning the dispensers are usually empty that makes this necessary:rolleyes:

I thought I bumped into Chico Marx once in RS McColls, then I realised that it couldn't be him as he died in 1961. Mistaken identity is very easy to do you know.

He's clearly no fan of us and was a dirty bastard as a player, but he seems to have his head screwed on and looks like he'll make a good career coaching.

That’s all well and good but how the fu.ck are folk managing to spray diesel on themselves in the first place.

I’ve had a diesel nearly ten years and haven’t spilt one drop on myself. Lift the nozzle, put in wee hole, fill up, shake off, gently lift out and put back in holder. No problem.

It’s your wives I really feel sorry for.
I've never spilled any but whoever has used it prior certainly had. The amount of times I've picked the nozzle up and it's saturated with diesel is far more than it should be.
There's no getting away from the fact that a large minority of the population are morons.

Last edited:
Less than two hours ago. ASDA petrol station, Robroyston.

Said to Accie Junior as we pulled up “that’s the St Mirren manager”. The lad’s easily impressed, so he was straight out the car saying hello and asking him questions. Jim took it in good humour, to be fair. When my lad said he trained with Clyde, Jim said so did his son.

But here’s the weird thing. He was wearing one of those disposable see-through plastic gloves to dispense his fuel. Who does that? I suppose the kind of guy who keeps his beard as neat as he does...

I do this. It keeps the diesel from irrating your skin and the smell usually last for a few days even if you wash hard.

No brainer mate.

This is probably the biggest 24 hour period of fame and publicity the guy has ever had........ over a petrol station glove!! :D

His headstone: "I wore the glove"

A 5 pager on the St Mirren manager "filling his tank" (no peanut-vendoring euphemism implied). :D

This must be the biggest retail story on FF since Alan Smith was spotted in Homebase for the 348th time. :))

Full disclosure: yes I sort of have a beard, no I do not wear gloves to use a petrol pump. Those disposable gloves can really help someone with some types of OCD or contamination anxiety to get through their day.

I’m a bit of a stats guy.

This thread. Just meant as a throwaway, but:-

345 poll votes
167 replies
About 80-20 to the good guys in the poll.

But 40-odd likes for the first post by a peanut vendor, compared to 20-odd likes for the OP. There must be something people can do about that...

It’s bandits like you that steal them all
meaning the dispensers are usually empty that makes this necessary:rolleyes:
You should see the smile on my face when I go to the dispenser and it’s empty. Open door, spare glove out and on. And fill.

I do this. It keeps the diesel from irrating your skin and the smell usually last for a few days even if you wash hard.

No brainer mate.
The smell of diesel usually lasts a few days?
That's just nonsense. It's only oil. Any detergent (soap, fairy liquid etc), and you're good to go.
I bet you've got lovely soft hands.
I'm not criticising, just saying it's different for folks. There are some out there (bricklayers) who handle cement. And no, I'm not a brick-layer, but diesel? come on ffs.
anyone who uses gloves to dispense fuel is a fuckin pussy.
My nana used to build a fire (parafin fire lighters and coal) and thought
nothing of it. Lived till she was 99, (close but no cigar Bella).

The number of idiots who overfill and by virtue of doing so, cover the nozzle, dispenser and rear wing of said vehicle is staggering. Petrol, 95/97 Ron evaporates, Diesel doesn’t hence why there’s a difference on the pump handle being covered. %^*& having a heavy oil over your hands because the mouth breather before thinks it clicking off is to keep them awake.
Ogh, this also.

Gloved Up Loyal

Last edited:
Back