Michael Ball interview (Everton podcast)

Eugene Fraxby

A decent listen this https://soundcloud.com/gregok/the-michael-ball-interview

Also talks about signing for Rangers and at about 28 minutes he mentions Murray telling him that Rangers and the bheasts had it agreed with UEFA that they'd be moving to the EPL in 2 seasons.

I've heard of Murray using that as a selling point when signing big names before. Do we think there was anything in it at the time? Or just another Murray lie? I reckon the latter more likely...

Money talks, but moving teams from one league to another would open a massive can of worms.

File under bullshit

Any player moving on that basis without having a clause written into their contract in case it didn't happen is mental.

Wouldn't believe Murray if he told me it was June this month.

I loved MB.

He paid to play for The Rangers.

There's only one or two professionals that can make that claim. Sone Aluko is another I think.

He actually paid out if his wages just to play for us.

Loved that.

And that was then less money for him for fags and booze in Ashton Lane ;)

The segment about his time at Rangers is quite interesting. Just goes to show where we were around 2000/2001 - a different level. The guys that host the podcast seem genuine fans who are interested to hear about Rangers being on a different level to Everton. It was quite amusing when he discussed about how everyone (fans included) were on your case if the ball went higher than two feet off the deck during Advocaat's time.

I'll probably listen to the rest of it another time to hear if he criticises Advocaat for hooking him a Parkhead.

For what it’s worth, around 2000-2002, I think Sky were trying to engineer a way to have Rangers and Celtic competing in the English Premiership.

I’m sure they were talking to an open door with Rangers and Celtic and the top team EPL Chairmen about it. The lower EPL side and the FA would have been violently against it.

Whether Murray said this to players as a hook to get them to sign, or whether Murray was being played along somehow is an interesting question.

Ball has told this story before. I can well believe that Murray believed it. The Celtic board didn't attend the 2002 Scottish Cup Final as they were in England trying to convince EPL clubs to back a move.

You have to think the clubs had received a come-on of some kind but the EPL cooled on the idea.

I loved MB.

He paid to play for The Rangers.

There's only one or two professionals that can make that claim. Sone Aluko is another I think.

He actually paid out if his wages just to play for us.

Loved that.

A point some posters on an earlier thread seemed unaware of. In any subsequent media I've seen, MB has always been very complimentary about RFC, notwithstanding his lack of opportunity on the park.

A point some posters on an earlier thread seemed unaware of. In any subsequent media I've seen, MB has always been very complimentary about RFC, notwithstanding his lack of opportunity on the park.

It showed true professionalism Brant, a trait sadly lacking in our mercenary players of today. Sadly the lure of filthy lucre can ruin a player.

Back