Michael Beal Tweet

Firstly, credit to him for commenting.

Secondly, it highlights the insanity of our recruitment in the summer. Murphy, Ojo, Jones, Candeias, Kent, Hastie and Barker all out and out wingers who were on our books at one point or the other this summer.

Kent has been moulded into this 10 so fair enough but why the need to sign so many wingers when that clearly won’t fit our system?

Not actually a fan of the 2 x 10's
I much preferred the way that we played last season, with 2 wingers, a 10 and 2 more holding midfielders.

Each to their own I suppose, even switch between the systems every so often.

Secondly, it highlights the insanity of our recruitment in the summer. Murphy, Ojo, Jones, Candeias, Kent, Hastie and Barker all out and out wingers who were on our books at one point or the other this summer.

Kent has been moulded into this 10 so fair enough but why the need to sign so many wingers when that clearly won’t fit our system?
I doubt we’d have signed Jones if we knew we’d end up with Kent.

Hastie is clearly one for the future.

I’m sure the gaffer expected more from Ojo.

I’m scratching my head about Barker but at least he was free

Some of those players you mention (Murphy, Kent and Candeias to an extent) are capable of operating further inside. Agreed with you on Barker and Hastie though.

Well our performance improved drastically when we switched to two number 10s in March didn’t it?

No need to be facetious, I was stating my own preference.

It hasn't done too well in January, has it ?
There have been games that it purely failed, Celtic at home this season was one of them, Hearts on Sunday is another.

I am saying we should switch between the 2.

Kent, for me, isn't a 10.
Aribo certainly is.

I much preferred Kent when he was on the wing, he isolated defenders more often and I personally thought he looked more dangerous. He has probs scored more goals from the "10" position tho so I see both sides of the argument

A couple of random thoughts:

1. Great to get MB's insight but I'm not sure SG will be at all keen for him to be discussing tactics/formations on Twitter.

2. Jake Hastie is probably a good fit for the narrow front three. Seems to do a lot of his best work cutting inside from the right. Glad it seems he'll be getting a chance.

There have been games that it purely failed, Celtic at home this season was one of them, Hearts on Sunday is another.

Aribo certainly is.
We've won 2 out of 3 games so far. Its not done too badly either.

Doesn't Beale literally say in the tweet that the system isn't as important as the players in it and that we lost, we didn't perform, it hurts and we move on ASAP?

That implies that it was a failure of players in the games you highlighted, particularly the Celtic one, as we played the same system in the LCF and on the 29th and played them off the park them in both games.

much as a like Beale, If the mentally challenged coach was coming out on twitter explaining systems after a defeat we'd be laughing at them saying they're in meltdown

A couple of random thoughts:

1. Great to get MB's insight but I'm not sure SG will be at all keen for him to be discussing tactics/formations on Twitter.

2. Jake Hastie is probably a good fit for the narrow front three. Seems to do a lot of his best work cutting inside from the right. Glad it seems he'll be getting a chance.

To be fair, there's nothing disclosed in his tweet that hasn't already been said either at Gerrard's press conferences, or Beale's interview with Rangers TV.

We've won 2 out of 3 games so far. Its not done too badly either.

Doesn't Beale literally say in the tweet that the system isn't as important as the players in it and that we lost, we didn't perform, it hurts and we move on ASAP?

That implies that it was a failure of players in the games you highlighted, particularly the Celtic one, as we played the same system in the LCF and on the 29th and played them off the park them in both games.
again, I'm not saying its not a good system, for certain matches, but so was Warburton's - it was his refusal to adapt that cost us.

Nice to see a member of the management team answer a fan question. It does, however, show how baffling some of our signings have been for wide players.

Aribo certainly is.

If you see what he says, he said players within are more important.

Both games missed key players for how we play.

Barisic, Kent, Morelos, Tavernier

To be fair, there's nothing disclosed in his tweet that hasn't already been said either at Gerrard's press conferences, or Beale's interview with Rangers TV.

Fair comment. My concern is not that he disclosed anything that would be of advantage to other teams. I just don't think Twitter is the medium for a member of the coaching staff to be discussing what went wrong on Sunday.

With the greatest of respect they don’t play like two number 10s. They are usually too far away from the single forward, and out wide. Tin hat on.

Kents goals at Parkhead and Tynecastle say different, they are doing exactly what they’ve be asked to. The reason you’re saying this just now is that the space is much more noticeable because Defoe primarily stays central whereas Alfie is everywhere and it works better.

Kent, Hastie, Stewart and Murphy are all comfortable playing the number 10 role mate.

Barker and Jones get stranger signings by the day and tbf Candeias left pre season and wasnt their signing.

Not actually a fan of the 2 x 10's
I much preferred the way that we played last season, with 2 wingers, a 10 and 2 more holding midfielders.

Each to their own I suppose, even switch between the systems every so often.

Even though we're a far better side this season and scoring more goals?

Strange analysis.

Aribo certainly is.

Well our coach says he is and he's scoring fairly regularly this season in the role.

Where would you say he was playing?

Well our performance improved drastically when we switched to two number 10s in March didn’t it?

maybe thats the problem we're too static and can't change , but when we do change teams can't handle us

Kents goals at Parkhead and Tynecastle say different, they are doing exactly what they’ve be asked to. The reason you’re saying this just now is that the space is much more noticeable because Defoe primarily stays central whereas Alfie is everywhere and it works better.
You’re probably right. But that’s the case every game with Defoe, so they need to have a look at the formation when he plays.

Kent, Hastie, Stewart and Murphy are all comfortable playing the number 10 role mate.

Barker and Jones get stranger signings by the day and tbf Candeias left pre season and wasnt their signing.
I agree Stewart is an adept 10. He has been criminally underused IMO.

Murphy and Hastie I would have to disagree with mate, I just couldn't see either as a 10.

For me this window is about securing a 10 who can shoot with accuracy and play killing passes.

Think Kent would be a much better winger than a 'Free 10'

Yet he got criticised for not scoring enough last season.

Now he is scoring a few big goals and the team are much improved.

The lad can't win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well our coach says he is and he's scoring fairly regularly this season in the role.

Where would you say he was playing?

19 games, 6 goals, 2 assists - hardly regular is it ?
He is a winger, its plain to see.
I feel like he goes missing in games playing there, just my opinion.

Back