Michael Beale

Some people are good at one thing, others are good at something else. It’s they way they interact that brings success.

Willie Waddell is the manager who lead us to our greatest ever triumph, but you’ll never convince me Jock Wallace didn’t have as much, if not more, to do with us winning the trophy that year.

It’s also worth remembering a manager does more than coach. In years past many a manager never set foot on the training ground

I thought this was well known. If you watch the digout throughout the game you will see players go to Beale for tactical advice. It's clear he is the man with the plan. Gerard clearly rates him and has chosen a management team that he thinks will bring him success. Thought has went into each of those positions. We are now structured to allow an individuals within that team to come and go and it will be interesting to see who goes with him. That will probably be down to how successful we are doing the next couple of seasons.

Don't think a guy behind tactics that consistently fail against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock will get the Rangers job unless that radically changes this season.

Michael Beale is known as a good coach, our tactics for playing teams we know are going to come on to us in Europe have been great. The tactics for breaking down the above teams less so.
I don’t think our tactics are bad we just need some variation when things aren’t working rather than continually placing faith in the same system regardless.

A good example is how we use Defoe. When he replaces Alfie we continue to play the same way and hope that he can nick one. Whereas, we should be changing to a completely different approach to suit Defoe, perhaps even going two up top.

If Gerrard’s a success then his entire backroom team will move with him to his next job. If he’s a failure then I don’t think anyone would want the tactician responsible for the failure to be the next manager.

I don’t think our tactics are bad we just need some variation when things aren’t working rather than continually placing faith in the same system regardless.

A good example is how we use Defoe. When he replaces Alfie we continue to play the same way and hope that he can nick one. Whereas, we should be changing to a completely different approach to suit Defoe, perhaps even going two up top.

Persisting with one idea that hasn't worked successfully more often than not against the same sides means it is bad idea in that context.

We've played Aberdeen 10 times under Gerrard, won 3. Played Kilmarnock 10 times, won 4. That's bad.

The only time we know if this is a good move Is when gerrard leaves, if he gets sacked this season for winning nothing it’s obvs not the right move. If it’s 3 years down the line and Gerrard’s kicked on and we’ve won leagues, cups etc then it’s a smart idea. All depends the circumstances of gerrards departure

I think it’s always been pretty clear that Beale is the tactics guy. He strikes me as more of a coach than a manager. I do wonder what McAllisters role is. I’m sure he can pass on a lot of experience but Beale seems to be a lot more involved than him (from the outside anyway).

It's not all that unusual.

This.

Some managers like to get on the training pitch a lot, some once or twice a week, others just on a a Friday, but many leave it to the coaches and always have done.

Some managers are ‘coaches’, and some are just managers.

Worked For Souness, Sir Walter, Alex Ferguson, Martin O’Neill, Kenny Dalglish, Brian Clough, just to name a few greats off the top of my head.

A feel good factor that has blown hot and cold. A year and half ago we won on hogmanay and yet in that time we've won nothing; yet after that match we should have had the platform to push on. I love Gerrard in so many ways, and want him to lead us to success, but we should have been doing better. Hopefully next year.

Yeah I must admit I wasn’t really feeling very good after new year when our arse was collapsing and we were going into every game with the real fear we might lose.

Persisting with one idea that hasn't worked successfully more often than not against the same sides means it is bad idea in that context.

We've played Aberdeen 10 times under Gerrard, won 3. Played Kilmarnock 10 times, won 4. That's bad.
Very poor statistics against the lesser clubs

The these days managers jobs is to coach the first team at training whilst assistant does the tactical homework on nxt opposition Gerrard must trust judgement to put that type of faith in him sign of good management team I've nvr wanted a manager succeed so much I personally think this year it'll come together and we will take league .

I think that's down to us not changing our shape during games

I agree I think problem is not changing shape during matches we come predictable an teams set up to frustrate us we need couple a quality players on bench to change shape

Yep, been saying it for a while but being married to the 433 is almost negligent.

another thing to its no surprise to me that the January fixtures are unreal with hard fixtures and thats without any cup games that may be squeezed in , fat liewell is hoping wheels come off january and bombard us with tough games

Tinfoil hat is on troops lol

It's a team of guys these days.

Gerrard is the most important as he is the face and his pull has helped us immeasurably in attracting players and our profile while he also takes the flak or praise. In short, he takes the pressure.

Beale and others, with input from Gerrard, do tactics and set pieces etc.

It's the same at all clubs. Walter left much of the training to McCoist and McDowell. Alex Ferguson hardly ever took training. Martin O'Neil didn't even go unless it was a Friday most of the time. It's just the way if it. Gerrard certainly isn't the one putting on drills etc.

And we'll continue to fail if we keep sacking managers after every setback, Stevie has brought the feel good factor back and improved us massively, we're closer to success than you think.
If the manager's fails then he will be sacked or he will leave. This season could be make or break for our manager.

And we'll continue to fail if we keep sacking managers after every setback, Stevie has brought the feel good factor back and improved us massively, we're closer to success than you think.
Let's just forget that we have collapsed two seasons in a row in January.

Seeing what Lafferty is saying there about how behind the scenes Beale is the man when it comes to the tactics etc, says gerrard is a great manager but Beale is the brains of the management team and reckons he could step up and there would be no change. Is Beale our long term manager.
For me,absolutely.

it's always been known he is the tactician behind gerrard ,hes the man in the stand most times looking down on the action

It's make or break for the whole coaching team this season.
The way we played in the first half this season was immense at times.
The fallout after the winter break seems unexplainable. They coaching team and the players need to do it over the course of the season this time.
Otherwise I'd imagine we are starting all over again with a new management team again.

Being clued up tactically is worth little if you can’t command the respect of the players and get them to run through brick walls for you, so in that respect I see nothing (at this point) to suggest Beale should ever be our permanent manager. It’s impossible to know how good of a man Manager he is when Gerrard is the guy who’s responsible for that aspect now. Add to that the tactical side isn’t exactly brilliant either, we’re so utterly predictable.

Had heard he was the tactical man before. If its true questions should be asked. His tactics make Kent frustrating as hell for me. Nearly every time he comes inside and runs into traffic. Really good on the break but think when the season was called he was still on 0 assists in the league, shocking statistic for a number 10. Think everybody reckons Hagi would be better central as well but plays as a right sided number 10

We are still struggling domestically.
True but, a helluva lot less.
We‘ve came from hopeless when he first arrived to hopeful after season one to expectant half way through season two before it went wrong.
I‘m expecting further improvement this season, throughout the season and for us to win the league.
Twelve months ago I could only hope for this.
It isn’t the hope, as some have said, that hurts.
It’s the expectancy.

So what ex-manager do you think would have turned it around??

Let's not rewrite things here - SG was nearly out the door before CV19 took hold. He better have us hitting the ground running and if we see any of that early 2020 form then the natives will quickly grow restless.
That is a massive assumption with, I guess, zero evidence to support it.

I honestly don’t know how you could make such a statement. The harsh reality is that if the season had continued and our domestic form throughout the second half of the season had continued with it, it would be extremely unlikely that Gerrard would still be in the job. He has an awful lot to prove.

The OP was about Beale being the tactician in the management set up, no one is saying sack SG. Maybe we need to look at our tactics though, we are one dimensional and stuck to a formation that every team in Scotland has worked out.

We have to be more flexible if we want to be successful in this country.
And yet, we have finished the season over twenty points ahead of all these teams who have us sussed!

I honestly don’t know how you could make such a statement. The harsh reality is that if the season had continued and our domestic form throughout the second half of the season had continued with it, it would be extremely unlikely that Gerrard would still be in the job. He has an awful lot to prove.
Nobody knows if this is the case or anywhere near being the case.

And yet, we have finished the season over twenty points ahead of all these teams who have us sussed!

Yeah but that includes something like only winning half our SPL games after the break and going out of the Scottish Cup to the worst side in the league. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, and we can certainly outspend Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, of which our record against both sides is absolutely piss poor.

People are going to have to work overtime to defend these lapses if and when they’re repeated for a third season in a row.

Yeah but that includes something like only winning half our SPL games after the break and going out of the Scottish Cup to the worst side in the league. Not exactly a glowing endorsement, and we can certainly outspend Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, of which our record against both sides is absolutely piss poor.

People are going to have to work overtime to defend these lapses if and when they’re repeated for a third season in a row.
If that’s a reason, can we expect to finish ahead of the scum?

True but, a helluva lot less.
We‘ve came from hopeless when he first arrived to hopeful after season one to expectant half way through season two before it went wrong.
I‘m expecting further improvement this season, throughout the season and for us to win the league.
Twelve months ago I could only hope for this.
It isn’t the hope, as some have said, that hurts.
It’s the expectancy.
Sounds like triplets on the way :oops: (I like them in silver ;))

Yeah I must admit I wasn’t really feeling very good after new year when our arse was collapsing and we were going into every game with the real fear we might lose.
That game in 2018 should have given us a lot more belief; it could have been more than 1-0. If Beale is the man responsible for how we played in that game, and the corresponding game the following year then he knows his stuff, but after watching that game AS Live at the weekend I'd forgotten how good we were that day, and it niggled me that since then we haven't won anything. We proved that on our game we are more than a match for anyone in this league. What went wrong, twice after the break in the season, is anybody's guess, but that it happened a second time is poor. I really hope this is Gerrard's year, because there has been glimpses that we can do something; maybe all it needs is one or two players added who'll take the lead more in the dressing room and on the park.

Last edited:
Not all coaches make good managers. Depends on his ability to man manage and be "the boss" rather than a mate of the players. Also, how he handles the media attention and fan attention etc. All very different to being a good tactician behind the scenes.

Back