Michael Beale

midlandbear

Thinking about the long term here beyond SG eventually going back to take charge at Anfield.

I think only the blind (and lurking timposters) on here will fail to admit there is genuine progress been made year on year. That is by design and all with an eye on the bigger picture of long term stable superiority.
Do we think that the structure being built would be best taken on by someone who is central to it? Mick Beale hasn’t had a number one job yet but he definitely wants to be a manager eventually. Could this be a longer term strategy to continue the momentum?

We have been building something for over two years which now looks to be working. As a management group the dynamic is evidently bearing fruit.

Ive seen a few of these weird threads about "next up when Gerrard goes". Fùck all that, and let's see where we can go with him here.

We are really starting to show what is possible when you stick with a plan, back a manager, and invest sensibly in recruitment. If (ok when) we win the league under Gerrard you can bet your bollocks that he won't be going ANYWHERE without having a crack at the Champions League with Rangers.

No time for what ifs. Leave it for the poets to figure out who their next manager will be, the fucking cuntś

We have been building something for over two years which now looks to be working. As a management group the dynamic is evidently bearing fruit.

Ive seen a few of these weird threads about "next up when Gerrard goes". Fùck all that, and let's see where we can go with him here.

We are really starting to show what is possible when you stick with a plan, back a manager, and invest sensibly in recruitment. If (ok when) we win the league under Gerrard you can bet your bollocks that he won't be going ANYWHERE without having a crack at the Champions League with Rangers.

No time for what ifs. Leave it for the poets to figure out who their next manager will be, the fucking cuntś
I’m not getting ahead of myself and certainly not in any hurry to move on. I’m asking if we think it’s part of the clubs longer term strategy. Our board don’t seem the type to not be thinking about this in phases. So again, do we think the club have an eye on maintaining continuity from within the current setup?

Get where your coming from OP with regards to the future also agree with SouthLDNbear on Gerrard staying for the Champs league, hopefully next year. Keeping the ethos by promoting within is a good idea but Gerrard may want his main main with him when he leaves which touchin on southLDNbears post i dont think he will for another 2 or 3 years if we win the league this year. Personally i would stick with him if we dont as i dont by into all the 10 pish, moods are positive at the moment due to yesterdays excellent 3pts but we need to back it up by continuing to win against the rest of the league, aye we will drop points again this season but you dont want to do it straight after yesterday we need a run now. And to answer midland bear, i think its situational depending on who may be available for/or interested in a vacant Rangers managers job.

I’ve been thinking that too. When the day comes, it’s going to be a huge decision for him if Rangers see him as the next manager but he’ll have to face that situation one day if he wants to manage.

Prediction. 55 this season. UCL group stage qualification next season and title 56 in May 2022.
SG Liverpool boss start of 2022/23
season.
If Beale doesn’t go back to Anfield with him, he might be a candidate for our top job.
If this happens we can look forward to loans of some of Liverpool’s Brightest and best young players and possibly even for those experienced campaigners finding their way back to fitness.

Klopp will be at Anfield for a good number of years to come and there is nothing to say that Gerrard will fill the Liverpool job at any time. If however Gerrard leaves at some point then it's feasable that Beale could be offered the job, that's if the improvement continues on an upward curve

Thinking about the long term here beyond SG eventually going back to take charge at Anfield.

I think only the blind (and lurking timposters) on here will fail to admit there is genuine progress been made year on year. That is by design and all with an eye on the bigger picture of long term stable superiority.
Do we think that the structure being built would be best taken on by someone who is central to it? Mick Beale hasn’t had a number one job yet but he definitely wants to be a manager eventually. Could this be a longer term strategy to continue the momentum?
SG. Has another few seasons with us dont worry

We are really lucky to have Gerrard and his back room team, despite zoomers on here ripping them after a draw - they all do their bit.

I agree with others about Gerrard wanting CL experience with us.

I’d like Beale to be high on list when day comes. Would depend on whether he’d rather be own man here or important part of Gerrard team and Liverpool if he gets that job. Also, would depend on who Beale had as his team helping him if he’s number 1.

Last edited:
I believe Gerrard will still be around here for another few seasons yet. He will leave Rangers with umpteen honours in the bag. He will leave as a treble winner and he will have managed the club in the Champions League.

Gerrard will leave Rangers a legend and on Gerrards own time.

Enjoy him while he's here guys...

SG. Has another few seasons with us dont worry
If we can get into the cl group stages and winning trophys constant again he might not want to leave! theres few bigger clubs than us wait til he gets a feel of the stadium with the cl music on am getting goosebumps thinking about it :)

I'd be more worried that someone else poaches Beale before Gerrard leaves.

Another team might also see him as a #1 or a richer side might want to money whip him to do the #2 job. Either offer would be impossible for us to match so unless he felt some sort of loyalty beyond the wage then we'd be in shtook.

If Ross Wilson isn’t already planning his succession then he isn’t doing his job. I’d guess Beale is in his thoughts. We seen with Rodgers ditching the filth how strong the pull of a decent EPL managerial job can be. I’m not saying Gerrard would walk given the chance, but we need to be prepared for it

If SG was to leave for the Liverpool job then MB would 100% be away with him. That is probably their dream jobs and not even us could stop that.

I also wouldn't be 100% happy to give MB the top job at such a crucial stage of our comeback. Let's just hope we win the league this year and then enjoy them while their still here.

I saw an interview with Beale recently when he stated his goal since he was 20 was to be a Manager at 40 but he's not so sure now. I think he is happy in his role and works well within the current structure. The different jobs have different requirements and who's to say he would be as good a Manager as a Coach. He likes to be in the middle of things.

When the time comes, if he is interested, he should certainly be considered.

I think liverpool are not winning the league this year, especially with vvd now injured. And i also think klopp may leave on his own terms at the end of this year, he will never get the sack but he may not have the hunger for another shot at the pl.

I hope the question is not asked next year . And yes beale will be in the running and id have no problem with it all.

If Ross Wilson isn’t already planning his succession then he isn’t doing his job. I’d guess Beale is in his thoughts. We seen with Rodgers ditching the filth how strong the pull of a decent EPL managerial job can be. I’m not saying Gerrard would walk given the chance, but we need to be prepared for it
I think that the only job SG will move for is Liverpool. Same as the magnificent bas*ard.

Especially in Europe, SG is showing the necessary promise as a manager. Undoubtedly this is due in part, a very big part, to his backroom team. Provided we win the league with Stevie, Liverpool will see him as the obvious choice to replace Klopp. I also think that, when SG goes, his team will follow. With the possible exception of Gary McAllister, who might relish the chance to be No. 1 like Walter.

Upside is that I don't see Klopp going anywhere for a while yet. Let's go!

Well said.

Too many were demanding instant success and desparate to jump of the SG train at the first hill. It is clear for all to see that something long term is being built at Ibrox, something that will carry on after SG does leave.

For me, a life long Bear nearing 60 years old, the footballing side of the club is way more professionally run than at any time in my life.

Like almost every journey, there has been and there will be knocks along the way but as far as I can see, it is only onwards and upwards under SG.

The longer we have SG and the rest of the staff the better we become.We,ve made great strides not only on the football field but our profile off it.Its central to attracting players, when people see the progress in European competition and the comprehensive victory on Saturday.We simply have to hang onto Steven for as long as is possible.

Prediction. 55 this season. UCL group stage qualification next season and title 56 in May 2022.
SG Liverpool boss start of 2022/23
season.
If Beale doesn’t go back to Anfield with him, he might be a candidate for our top job.
If this happens we can look forward to loans of some of Liverpool’s Brightest and best young players and possibly even for those experienced campaigners finding their way back to fitness.
We've been down that particular road with Liverpool, it was a real mixed bag.

As regards Beale being a possible successor to Gerrard, I'd urge caution. He's quite obviously a very talented coach, but that doesn't always translate into being a good manager.

An interesting post, however we can only speculate as to Beale's own ambitions. History is littered with talented coaches who's personality and ability made them ideal for that specific role, likewise many who took the step up, and failed. If and when Gerrard leaves following a successful stint here, I'd like to think we'd be appointing someone with a proven record.

Beale will follow Gerrard wherever he goes imo.

He'll end up replacing Gary MaC as Assistant too.

Gerrard will only leave us if we are winning titles, and if that's the case then in a neutrals eyes, it'll be to a "better club". Can't see Beale passing up taking his coaching up another level. Especially if it's in the EPL.

No disrespect to the OP. This is a thread to be raised in a couple of years. I'm not thinking about Gerrard leaving for a while yet.

Not for me. I think what's working well for us at the moment is having a figurehead, motivator, and man manager backed by strategists, analysts and tacticians. I doubt Beale is that figurehead a club our size thrives on and could he transition towards that kind of role without sacrificing what he does well in the backroom role.

Reactions: fmp
If we can get into the cl group stages and winning trophys constant again he might not want to leave! theres few bigger clubs than us wait til he gets a feel of the stadium with the cl music on am getting goosebumps thinking about it :)
Liverpool or a fall out with the board will be the only 2 reasons he will leave. Cant see him leaving to go to any other club. Rangers and Liverpool both mean something to him

I’m not getting ahead of myself and certainly not in any hurry to move on. I’m asking if we think it’s part of the clubs longer term strategy. Our board don’t seem the type to not be thinking about this in phases. So again, do we think the club have an eye on maintaining continuity from within the current setup?
Do you think Beale is staying here if he's offered a number 2 type role at Liverpool?

His dynamics with SG remind of the Souness/Smith partnership. I would hope to see him as our next manager.

Michael Beale central to creation of a well-oiled machine
Rangers won the Old Firm derby through cohesion with credit owed to the first team coach, writes Paul Forsyth

Tuesday October 20 2020, 12.01am, The Times

In the build-up to the Old Firm game on Saturday, Connor Goldson was among those who got wind of the Celtic team. He had heard the rumour that Odsonne Édouard would miss the match and that young Stephen Welsh would make only his second appearance in the Celtic defence.

It seemed unlikely, as Goldson admitted yesterday. “I got on a coach and I had a message from one of my best mates down south who plays for Doncaster and he said Welsh was playing and Édouard wasn’t. I said ‘yeah good one, we’ll see when we get there’. Obviously, when we got there, the team was true.”

As the world now knows, it had been leaked on social media on Friday night. By the following morning, it was everywhere, much to the disgust of their manager, Neil Lennon, who has since promised to root out the mole. Pity the guilty party when Celtic’s manager identifies him.

None of which is to say that it had any effect on the outcome of the season’s first derby, won at a canter by Rangers. Speaking on talkSPORT yesterday, Goldson, 27, insisted it gave his team no advantage and that nothing in their pre-match preparations had changed.

Steven Gerrard, their manager, would have been foolish to let a rumour, which may have turned out to be a hoax, distract him from the job at hand. Instead, he concentrated on the shape and principles that have been so effective in recent months, and was rewarded with a comfortable 2-0 victory.

“Even in our pre-match meeting, we thought Édouard would play and we thought [Christopher] Jullien would play,” Goldson said. “A few of us saw the team but we didn’t really believe it. We know that in an Old Firm [derby], you can never trust anything that comes out. One day someone is injured and the next they’re playing. Listen, every player wants to play in an Old Firm. Whether they are injured or not they’ll try and get through it, so we went into the game thinking Jullien and Édouard would play.”

There was maybe a late tweak, and perhaps one or two additional words of advice, when the teams were officially submitted, but Rangers have come much too far to be basing their gameplan on an opponent’s weakness. On the contrary, they have a system and a playing style, that with the odd variation, works for them week-in, week-out.

As the fallout from the derby continues, one of the recurring themes has been the maturity of Gerrard’s well-drilled side. Whether they have better players than Celtic is a matter for debate, but each of them buys into the team’s philosophy and knows his job.

A “well-oiled machine” has become the cliche that best describes Rangers, whose team at the weekend were all signed during Gerrard’s first two seasons. To them, that 4-3-3 shape and all the responsibilities that come with it, are second nature.

It has dispelled early suggestions that Gerrard, 40, would bring to Scotland only the personality and profile needed to manage Rangers. He has all of that in spades, but his team are much more than a group of individual talents, inspired by one of the game’s greatest players.

That there is a sophisticated strategy, a clear vision of what they are trying to do, is a credit not just to Gerrard, but to the management team he appointed. His first-team coach, Michael Beale, will have been quietly purring about the recent appreciation of their tactical work. He is the one who gets in among the players, tightening the nuts and bolts.

He is highly-rated on the training pitch. When the Brazilian, Rogério Ceni, came to England for a coaching course, he saw Beale take a session with Liverpool Under-23 team and, after a lengthy discussion, asked him to be his assistant manager at São Paolo. The former Charlton Athletic winger spent seven months there.

When he returned to Liverpool, Gerrard was in charge of their under-18s. Pretty soon, they were heading north to Rangers together, where they put in a recognisable template, influenced by their education at Anfield. Overlapping full backs, midfielders providing them with cover, narrow wingers: all have become hallmarks of a Rangers team that is impressing the purists.

Maurice Ross, the former Rangers full back who is now reserve team coach at Motherwell, yesterday spoke of the regime that is bringing the best out of Gerrard’s players. “Do you ever see Rangers’ midfielders sprinting because they’ve been caught out of possession?” he asked. “Never. They’re constantly jogging, they’re just in perpetual motion because they’re all in sync. They’re always so calm. For me, they’re the best-coached team in the Premiership.”

Some of Rangers’ best displays have been in big games. They have now outplayed Celtic in three consecutive derbies. Gerrard has suffered just five defeats in 35 European ties, form he will be keen to maintain in Belgium on Thursday, when his team play Standard Liège in the Europa League group stage.

Last season, Rangers’ weakness was their inconsistency against lesser opponents. With that at the forefront of their minds, Goldson knows it will take more than a convincing performance against Celtic to bring the club a trophy.

“Old Firms are the hardest games but at the same time they are easier because you don’t need to get everyone up for them. This season against the other teams we’ve been a lot better. We need to carry that on. I can see there has been a mental change within our changing room that winning an Old Firm game isn’t enough. Hopefully we can back it up and by the end of the season we can celebrate.”

If Gerrard leaves to take over Liverpool and Beale takes over Rangers, then it would have been after a very successful period for the club. Great result at the weekend and very promising start to the league this season. That is it really, as harsh as that sounds, but the consistency now will determine how successful their time at Rangers will be.

Do you think Beale is staying here if he's offered a number 2 type role at Liverpool?

Gerrard will take GM with him as number 2, so he would be looking at a similar first team coach role if he went.
Do you think the Rangers Managers job is less attractive than a coaching job at Liverpool?
Michael Beale doesn’t have the same attachment to Liverpool as SG and he wants to be a manager. I would argue that the transition would be perfectly poised for him and he may not get a better opportunity.

Gerrard will take GM with him as number 2, so he would be looking at a similar first team coach role if he went.
Do you think the Rangers Managers job is less attractive than a coaching job at Liverpool?
Michael Beale doesn’t have the same attachment to Liverpool as SG and he wants to be a manager. I would argue that the transition would be perfectly poised for him and he may not get a better opportunity.
I don't know Beale personally. So I don't know.
That's why I asked.;)

Announce Beale and McCann as our next management dream team.

I think it might be a bigger attraction for someone like Michael Beale to try out his philosophy as a coach in the Premiership with the opportunity to build it around some of the world’s best players, and see how it works against the standard of opposition down there.

Well said, too often our fans go from light jogging to sprinting.

Be it when a new player comes in a plays two decent matches in a row or when we beat the poets or a stubborn team away from home.

SG is learning as we are progressing, I don't think he is the kind of guy to rush in or out of thing's and I also feel our management group is solid, having each others back 100%, you can see it bleeding into the team.
Team spirit I feel, is the 12th man a lot of the time and I feels ours has grown over the past couple of seasons from the managements groups foundation.

We're becoming stable and we are polishing our armour so as to speak, which is something we've severely lacked since coming back into the top league.

Gerrard will want a shot at the champions league at least once if not more, he aint's getting a chance of that with the kind of teams he's been linked with, but if he can do well in the CL then the teams after him will be of a lot higher standard

The thing folks seem to forget is that Gerrard's choices ain't money motivated, a challenge is what makes him tick, he loves the pressure, in his own words, it gives him a buzz and he loves it.

I'm only looking at us winning the League for now. If Gerrard moves on after being successful I reckon most of that backroom staff will go with him. I do expect a chance that Gary Mac might stay back and possibly have the chance of being our Gaffer. Only is Stevie is successful mind you.

No.

Personally I feel Gerrard will only go when he has taken us as far as he thinks he can. There’s still a fair good bit to go in this respect though and I can’t wait to see what we achieve at his peak.
I really hope we can see a Gerrard Rangers team in the champions league.

Personally I feel Gerrard will only go when he has taken us as far as he thinks he can. There’s still a fair good bit to go in this respect though and I can’t wait to see what we achieve at his peak.
I really hope we can see a Gerrard Rangers team in the champions league.
When Souness left , very few wanted Walter as the manager as a big name was wished for by the fans.
It was quite surprising at the time that he got the job but Murray was correct in this instance to give him it. Because we are the back water of Scotland, we need a name to attract players.
Most players out there today wont remember mcallister playing either.

Don't think Gerrard would take the Liverpool job without Beale tbh.

Beale created this system and works on it everyday with the players and Gerrard picks the team. It wouldn't be the same if Beale wasn't by his side imo

We have Gerrard under contract for another 3 and a half years so I wouldn't be too worried just yet - however it is inevitable he will move on from us eventually but part of the beauty of the excellent work Gerrard has done is that the Rangers managers job is now infinitely more attractive than it was when he took over.

Management is a team, Steven is the figurehead of that team, but he relies heavily on the team and will want to take the team to his next role.

Regardless of the outcome of the league, he has been a success. His management team have coached the players incredibly well and is making them all better and more tactically astute. You can see the different with the shite that they are less than the sum of their parts. TLB takes players and makes them worse through poor coaching and tactics.

if he wins the league with his comparative budget then it will be an amazing feat, but first and foremost, he made Rangers into Rangers again.

Reactions: fmp
Back