Michael Beale

Was Beale ever discussed for our job. I’m sure if he felt ready the board wouldn’t have kkown

He is further from the Liverpool job at Villa than he would have been here and competing.
I actually believe this as well. The Rangers job is a helluva lot closer pressure and expectation wise to managing Liverpool than a job like Aston Villa ever will be.

Its a lot of pish people thinking he had to somehow pit his wits against EPL managers to progress to the Liverpool hotseat, but he seems to have swallyed that belief.

Beale is from Mottingham and Charlton's training ground in at the Uni Campus about a mile from there (I think). Maybe a nice one for him to cut his teeth.

I hope he gets a managers job and succeeds.
He comes across as a really knowledgeable guy who doesn't forget his time at Ibrox.

I must say though, if he goes, SG will need someone in because Gary Mac, as much as he seems a decent bloke, appears to do heehaw and looks like he has minimal input, if any.

Serious question, is it Gio, or Voss, or Makaay, or a combination of the three? We all knew and understood the dynamic of Gerrards management team down to Culshaw on set pieces etc. but I don’t think the fanbase knows much about how Gio’s operates.
Interesting point
Don't watch so much of Gio's interviews as I find him very boring but from what I have seen Gerrard spoke much more about his team and appeared more enthusiastic about sharing the credit around.
I have never heard Gio talk about what his guy's do
Not that it matters so long as it works but an interesting contrast in personalities

I wish him and Gerrard well, but I think we have seen Since they left how one dimensional they Led us in their time at the helm. They had 433 with Morelos up top and no real alternatives bar the Motherwell game we tried 352 in. It’s been the same at villa as well, plan a done well, plan b is plan A but not as good.

Teams who want to win things need to be flexible, given how he reacted on twitter to criticism at times I don’t see it going well if he manages

Interesting point
Don't watch so much of Gio's interviews as I find him very boring but from what I have seen Gerrard spoke much more about his team and appeared more enthusiastic about sharing the credit around.
I have never heard Gio talk about what his guy's do
Not that it matters so long as it works but an interesting contrast in personalities

I dont think Gio really takes credit tbh, he pushes that on to the players.

Serious question, is it Gio, or Voss, or Makaay, or a combination of the three? We all knew and understood the dynamic of Gerrards management team down to Culshaw on set pieces etc. but I don’t think the fanbase knows much about how Gio’s operates.

From what I've read, Vos is the details guy. Gio and Makaay are jacks of all trades, do a mix of man management and coaching. But Vos is the tactics boffin of the group. Gio has worked with a number of coaches both as a player and as a coach. He was Koeman's assistant at Feyenoord for a bit too.

Gio, from what I've read is very well rounded as a coach in his own right. He worked for 5 years in the Feyenoord set up, before making the step up to be the main man. Many people in Holland speculated that Paul van Gastel was the brains of operation during his time at Feyenoord, but I'm beginning to think that was perhaps overplayed because he didn't join Gio at Ibrox and Gio has adapted to that just fine.

I wish him and Gerrard well, but I think we have seen Since they left how one dimensional they Led us in their time at the helm. They had 433 with Morelos up top and no real alternatives bar the Motherwell game we tried 352 in. It’s been the same at villa as well, plan a done well, plan b is plan A but not as good.

Teams who want to win things need to be flexible, given how he reacted on twitter to criticism at times I don’t see it going well if he manages
Would question how flexible City and Liverpool are TBH

From what I've read, Vos is the details guy. Gio and Makaay are jacks of all trades, do a mix of man management and coaching. But Vos is the tactics boffin of the group. Gio has worked with a number of coaches both as a player and as a coach. He was Koeman's assistant at Feyenoord for a bit too.

Gio, from what I've read is very well rounded as a coach in his own right. He worked for 5 years in the Feyenoord set up, before making the step up to be the main man. Many people in Holland speculated that Paul van Gastel was the brains of operation during his time at Feyenoord, but I'm beginning to think that was perhaps overplayed because he didn't join Gio at Ibrox and Gio has adapted to that just fine.

The City group also wanted to keep Gio involved with them.

Never has a member of back room staff enjoyed such fanfare. I’ll be eternally grateful for what Gerrard and his management team did for our club but can’t say I’m the least bit interested in whether Michael Beale works for a no mark Premier League team or a no mark League 1 team.
Good for you, now off you pop out the thread and let everyone else have a big boy discussion

Such a car crash of a job, owner is fucking bonkers.... 46 games to get up... Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich etc all in the league - I hope he doesn't take it!

Whether you like it or not, we are not where we are without Gerrard. He transformed our club from fighting it out with Aberdeen for second place, to winning the league, and being a European force again. The team that just fell short of winning a second European trophy was ultimately a Gerrard team. Stop acting like a jilted lover and move on.
Europe this year

Played 19

Gerrard 8 games, 2 wins 4 loss 2 draws

Gio. 11 games 5 wins 3 loss 3 draws

But we’ll ignore that record because, reasons

Europe this year

Played 19

Gerrard 8 games, 2 wins 4 loss 2 draws

Gio. 11 games 5 wins 3 loss 3 draws

But we’ll ignore that record because, reasons

We also ignoring that we did all this with what is ultimately Gerrard's players?

I've already said on different threads that we don't make the EL final with Gerrard.

I’m not really getting why most here are super impressed with this management teams tactics compared to the previous regime. The previous regime won the league at a canter and this regime blew a good lead.

So I assume we are talking about winning games in Scotland when the league was already gone, or it’s based on the great European performance. It has to be remembered the previous regime built this team that has been great in Europe, always did well, and were improving by the year in that arena. However the current regime has definitely stepped that up a level in Europe. The proof will be in the week to week performance in Scotland - and the jury is still out on that.

It was Vos who made the switch v Dortmund apparently.

Will be interesting to see his progress, and also Gerrards, if this becomes reality.
To my mind, Gerrard was always mainly a figurehead at Ibrox. In fact, he said himself that Beale was the coach / tactician. If Beale leaves, I'll be interested to see if Gerrard decides to replace him and, if so, with whom. If he doesn't replace him then - for better or worse - we'll get a clearer idea of his own coaching / managerial skills.

I’m not really getting why most here are super impressed with this management teams tactics compared to the previous regime. The previous regime won the league at a canter and this regime blew a good lead.

So I assume we are talking about winning games in Scotland when the league was already gone, or it’s based on the great European performance. It has to be remembered the previous regime built this team that has been great in Europe, always did well, and were improving by the year in that arena. However the current regime has definitely stepped that up a level in Europe. The proof will be in the week to week performance in Scotland - and the jury is still out on that.

People are impressed because the players have literally come out and said publicly that Gio and his team are great tactically. It took a while for them to get used to his style but they are enjoying their football under him. That's a good sign.

He's also managed to bag his first trophy at Ibrox already and was a penalty shoot out away from guiding us to our first European trophy in 50 years. He did this with a squad that he's barely been allowed to tweak or add to. Also visible improvement in players like Bassey and Lundstram. Not to mention the turnaround in form of Morelos and Aribo at points this season under him.

That's what people are impressed/excited about with regards to Gio and Co.

Whether you like it or not, we are not where we are without Gerrard. He transformed our club from fighting it out with Aberdeen for second place, to winning the league, and being a European force again. The team that just fell short of winning a second European trophy was ultimately a Gerrard team. Stop acting like a jilted lover and move on.
I don't discount the fact that Gerrard and his staff dragged Rangers' standards back up to where they should be, and I'm grateful for that. But after they all moved to AV, the team became Gio's team. It took some time for the players to adapt to Gio (and his staff)'s ideas - and that's why we lost the league - but it wasn't "Gerrard's team" that was a penalty kick away for the UEL. It was Gio's team.

I like Beale but he really did drive the cult of the assistant more than most TBH

Most managers these days seem to change coaches and assistants around them pretty often

Ferguson done it pretty often, recruitment of coach like with players is just an important part of the job of being a manager

People are impressed because the players have literally come out and said publicly that Gio and his team are great tactically. It took a while for them to get used to his style but they are enjoying their football under him. That's a good sign.

He's also managed to bag his first trophy at Ibrox already and was a penalty shoot out away from guiding us to our first European trophy in 50 years. He did this with a squad that he's barely been allowed to tweak or add to. Also visible improvement in players like Bassey and Lundstram. Not to mention the turnaround in form of Morelos and Aribo at points this season under him.

That's what people are impressed/excited about with regards to Gio and Co.
Yes I get that Europe was great - but if all these players are as improved as you say, and the tactics better, then why didn’t the team win the league? The sum of the parts domestically didn’t look as impressive as last year - so I’m not really buying all the noise that tactically we are much better. A 25 point gap is a pretty good ‘tactic’ from the previous regime.

Yes I get that Europe was great - but if all these players are as improved as you say, and the tactics better, then why didn’t the team win the league? The sum of the parts domestically didn’t look as impressive as last year - so I’m not really buying all the noise that tactically we are much better. A 25 point gap is a pretty good ‘tactic’ from the previous regime.

Last year was one of our greatest ever league campaigns. We didn't lose a game. That can't be your yard stick for a normal season, it's not realistic. Our dip in from January to March was deeply disappointing and everyone at the club has since acknowledged that.

It's not the fans claiming we are better and more flexible tactically now. It's the players that are saying it. That's why people are repeating it.

I think Gio will go from strength to strength. It took Gerrard time to rebuild us. Gio's rebuild should be far easier.

Reason #1: Gerrard left us in the lurch, and the players had to learn what Gio and his staff wanted. And that - perfectly understandably - took some time.

Reason #2: We didn't just "lose the league"; like it or not, Celtc won it. Yes, we did worse than last season, but Celtc did far better than last season. This season, we got 89 points - 13 points fewer than last season. But 89 points would still have seen us comfortably beat Celtc, if they hadn't improved. Last season, they finished on 77 points. This season, they got 16 points more.

I have it from the horses mouth (Beale himself) that it’s in his plans to return to us one day. I will watch with interest as his career progresses but he loves it here and wants to come back at some point.
If that's the case he better do a damn good job at wherever he goes and not use us eventually as a launch pad to get to some English giant such as Southampton. Frankly his potential return makes me nervous.

I think Gio will go from strength to strength. It took Gerrard time to rebuild us. Gio's rebuild should be far easier.

Gerrard mentioned that the base fitness had to be improved after first pre-season. He also mentioned that the tactics worked on one at a time, but by the 2nd preseason they had that base and could build on that. Gio has a good base line there with fitness and tactics, should hopefully be a lot easier.

Been a coach for a long time now learning his trade. Surely has the urge to be his own man soon.

Where do you genuinely go with Villa - 7th place and a tilt at the Europa Conference?

A domestic cup would be a great achievement.

He’ll end up spending a fortune on average players.

How long did it take gerrard to get it right in Scotland

It's not gonna happen for Gerrard at Villa really is it?
He'd be better off going to Charlton with Beale ,as Beales number 2.
He'll get the sack at the vile next year of they ain't in the European places by Xmas .
A club that lives in 1982

I actually believe this as well. The Rangers job is a helluva lot closer pressure and expectation wise to managing Liverpool than a job like Aston Villa ever will be.

Its a lot of pish people thinking he had to somehow pit his wits against EPL managers to progress to the Liverpool hotseat, but he seems to have swallyed that belief.
Pretty sure being able to get the better of EPL managers gets you more credit in the bank than breaking down a bank of 10 men in Scotland and the tactical geniuses such as Jim Goodwin and Mark McGhee

How long did it take gerrard to get it right in Scotland
Not really comparable as he inherited a crapfest of a team that had to be totally rebuilt. He survived because we could all see the improvement year on year. Different scenario from taking on a team who had cantered to the league previously and had a six point lead.

Signs of improvement from Gio domestically lately in the league but when it was too late. I’m just not buying the better tactically argument because of that 12 point swing, and a massive turnaround from last season.

Completely agree with this - Michael Beale is a very popular coach…he has published a lot of coaching drills and is well thought off, however it seems to be a failing of modern coaches to play one way only (see Bielsa, Flange, Gerrard, Warburton to name but a few) - I hope if he goes to Charlton he’s a success and is flexible - maybe Gerrard is domineering when it comes to the system he wants to play, so we’ll find out what Beale is like when he becomes his own man

I recently worked with a guy who is a current scout for Chelsea, but used to work for Liverpool. He knew all our coaching staff personally, he told me Beale is indeed the tactical brains in the group.

Back