Michael Beale's Rangers switch sparks Simon Jordan to question integrity as he rails against 'bloody managers'

Surely not the same Simon Jordan who went through 6 managers and 4 caretaker managers in the space of nine years ?

Mind that time you told Steve Kember he had a "job for life" at Crystal Palace and you sacked him after 23 games ?

"Simon had said I’d have a ‘job for life’ at Palace, and when he offered me the manager’s role on a permanent basis after covering Trevor’s departure, I thought: ‘Let’s give it a go.’ This was 2003/04. We started off really well by winning the first three league games and a League Cup match...We were facing Wigan Athletic away in a televised 12:30 kick-off. Bags packed, we left Beckenham at half-past-12 the day before and didn’t get to Wigan until half-past-nine that night. You can’t blame anybody for that, but we had to keep calling to get dinner delayed and, after such a tiring journey up, the boys had an early start the next day.We looked dreadful and went 2-0 down within 30 minutes. I knew then it was over. I looked up to the Directors’ Box and could see Simon on the phone. On Monday morning, it was: See you later. The job for life didn’t last very long."

I struggle to believe that any chairman said you have a job for life. I suspect there was more to that conversation and I think Kember is making it so that he looks the best out of the two. If this is genuinely what was said I believe alcohol was probably involved and if Kember actually believed that then he is a very stupid man.

I think he is right to call Beale out on this. I think QPR fans and players will be right to as well.

The FF spin doctors are up early today.

His comments don’t look great if he leaves for us as expected. Getting pictures taken in the Louden and down PRW when our current manager was under a lot of pressure in his role (with some of the support touting Beale as a replacement) was a bit snide also.

We all understand the lure of Rangers much more than any ‘outsider’ ever will, but we can’t hide from the optics either.

He didn’t just turn the Wolves job down, he did an interview talking specifically about loyalty :))

Add in his appearance at Ibrox when Gio was still in position and isn’t a good look if we’re being honest.

It’s all just meaningless noise, but people are going to go to town and run with it for a week or so for any number of reasons and agendas.

Its also naive of Beale to talk the way he did about the Wolves job a few weeks ago and then contradict that for the Rangers job.

Beale hasnt got the job yet and maybe he wont take it but soundbites like 'job to do' and 'all in' when talking about QPR are bound to be thrown in your face when you consider leaving for another club a month later.
I don't think he was expecting Rangers to come for him, he was probably told to say it for PR

Walter said the only job he would have left Scotland for was us,

Managers will have their dream jobs

I keep trying to talk myself around to the idea of Beale becoming our new man, but somehow I just can’t feel anything other than a bit deflated by the appointment.

I don't think he was expecting Rangers to come for him, he was probably told to say it for PR

That’s 100% right, but it’s probably best not to leave yourself open to attack by naively talking about loyalty the way he did.

Some PR spun variation of ‘I thank Wolves for their interest but the job wasn’t right for me’ prevents this.

I personally don’t care one iota about the noise that’s coming, but he’ll be best to tread more carefully when he comes up here and has to deal with our scumball media.

Rightly or wrongly, too much of our support are still influenced by them so he would do well to avoid inviting any unnecessary pressure.

I struggle to believe that any chairman said you have a job for life. I suspect there was more to that conversation and I think Kember is making it so that he looks the best out of the two. If this is genuinely what was said I believe alcohol was probably involved and if Kember actually believed that then he is a very stupid man.

I think he is right to call Beale out on this. I think QPR fans and players will be right to as well.
Your first and last lines are both correct, there is no loyalty in football. If a manager under performs he’s getting sacked and if they perform well they’ll get other job offers.

That’s 100% right, but it’s probably best not to leave yourself open to attack by naively talking about loyalty the way he did.

Some PR spun variation of ‘I thank Wolves for their interest but the job wasn’t right for me’ prevents this.

I personally don’t care one iota about the noise that’s coming, but he’ll be best to tread more carefully when he comes up here and has to deal with our scumball media.

Rightly or wrongly, too much of our support are still influenced by them so he would do well to avoid inviting any unnecessary pressure.
He does need to be careful, hopefully he's aware of that

It's similar to Gerrards, do I look like I'm going anywhere comment regarding Newcastle

Managers say these things to stop headlines I guess

Which is exactly what Smith did. If Beale had said 'Ill only leave QPR just now to head back to Rangers', even jokingly, then people couldnt really complain.

Simon Jordan loves himself so much. He's trying to be a shock jock that gets clicks, tweets, phone ins etc

TalkSports entire business model it seems.

Cundy claiming that Neymar wouldn't get a game ahead of Mason Mount ffs.

I do want Beale to be the manager and think it's gonna happen, but his interview after he decided to knock back Wolves is going to be hard to get around as he went full-pelt on the whole loyalty and integrity stuff and that was about a month ago :D

Was there an issue with "loyalty" when Beale left Villa to go to QPR?

As proved only a year ago, people get upset when a football coach/manager leaves to go to a job that they feel is a better opportunity or environment. Only time tells if that is correct.

As long as all due process has been followed in making any approach there is absolutely no issue with someone moving during their contract.

One assumes that Jordan made sure no hiring or firing of any employee under contract happened in his time at Crystal Palace...

No point complaining. If Beale comes here and is a success then we can be certain he’ll be back down the road as soon as an EPL job comes calling and we’ll have a few months of threads about him being a snake etc

This is modern football and the only true loyalty is in the stands.
The only thing certain in football is the SFA / SPFL adulation of bheasts f.c.

There is little loyalty for those who work in football. For all Beale was saying he was definitely staying at QPR till the end of the season, had his run of poor form continued , QPR would likely have sacked him long before then.

Jordan is right to call out Beale in this instance.

Beale left us, Villa and could now leave QPR a month after pledging allegiance to them after interest from Wolves.

4 jobs in a year is not a good look.

I don't mind Simon Jordan at all. Speaks his mind and doesn't suck off every guest like Jim White does who is painful to listen to

Beale talked about showing loyalty after rejecting the chance to take over at Wolves just over a month ago.

Simon Jordan has questioned Michael Beale’s integrity now he's on the verge of leaving QPR for Rangers.

The former Ibrox coach is expected to replace Gio van Bronckhorst after the Dutchman was sacked on Monday. Beale was part of Steven Gerrard’s coaching team that won the Scottish Premiership title in 2021, going unbeaten for the entire league campaign. The 42-year-old left with Gerrard and Gary McAllister for Aston Villa just over a year ago, before accepting the R’s offer to become their new head coach last summer.

Wolves approached Beale about taking over from Bruno Lage after he was sacked, but he turned the chance to swap Loftus Road for Molineux. Speaking after he knocked back the Midlands club, Beale said: "Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don't give it to receive it back but I think if they're the values you live by then at times when you're put in a position then you have to be strong by them."

Now talkSport pundit Jordan has called Beale food seemingly being ready to perform a 180 on those principles just over a month later. And the former Crystal palace owner railed against modern managers, insisting none of them are prepared to “earn their stripes”, before moving on to a bigger job.

“I’m perplexed why you would want to be so strident in your view about integrity and 35 days later that’s now changed,” Jordan told talkSport. “I remarked on social media that I hope Sod’s law doesn’t kick in and he loses his next game straight out of the bag and he didn’t. He’s then gone on to lose his next four or five games. People will say perhaps he’s facing some pressure at QPR in a couple of games’ time if he doesn’t win those games.

“Going to Rangers at this point is such a big risk because Celtic have got such a good hold of the league. Postecoglou is in such good nick. These bloody managers need to earn their stripes and should not be jumping at the first opportunity. This time I think he’ll find himself out of the door.”
True - unless Michael beale had a clause in his contract that said - if Rangers come calling then I will be offski

Theres a difference between being offered the Wolves job and the Rangers job. Especially when Beale clearly loves the club.

Jordan does make a couple of decent points but his overall argument is a bit muddled and missing the proper context.
And that makes him a candidate? If that's the case there are thousands of candidates on here

Simon Jordan gained a reputation from being outspoken and going against the grain. Now he is being paid to play up to that reputation for the purposes of infotainment. It’s why guys like Sutton and Roy Keane have jobs as well.

Never fails to amaze me the amount of people that get themselves upset over these type of people. They are paid to stir up drama and create a talking point (just like this thread has done.)

As for Jordan, he is coming from the position of having owned a football club. His book is a great read. He walked into Crystal Palace and the place was full of wasters from top to bottom. Some of his dealings with managers has probably left a bad taste in his mouth. Steve Bruce telling him he’s going nowhere and loves the club one week then away to Birmingham the next telling him he hates Palace and London.

We know Beale has a special bond with Rangers but lets not kid ourselves that if a better offer for him comes along, he will take it. What better means is subjective and different for the individual. For Gerrard it was Villa, for Barry it was Blackburn. For Beale, better than Rangers might mean a return to Chelsea or being offered £200k a week from Al-Hilal

Everything Michael Beale is being quoted as saying is before the the possibility of moving back to Rangers , it's quite obvious Jordan and his ilk don't recognise the size and pull of Rangers , or maybe don't want to admit were bigger than most EPL clubs.

Is this the same Simon Jordan that was invited by his friend to go into the mobile phone business?

The same Simon Jordan who deserted his friend to set up a rival mobile phone company?

Is this the same Simon Jordan that is giving football mangers a lecture about loyalty?

Right you are Simon.

Jordan is comparing apples and oranges, Wolves job v Rangers job for Beale are two different animals.

Jordan knows this, of course.

That's my point, that interview is null and void when the Ranger's job is offered, it becomes a moot point .
I don't think that is the case at all. If you say out loud that you are staying in a job because of loyalty and integrity and 4 weeks later are walking out of that job for one you personally prefer, you have thrown your loyalty and integrity out the window in favour of personal preference. I have no problem with him doing that at all, and I think the interviews were probably just him regurgitating the soundbites every manager throws out there but it obviously opens him up to the criticism he has received over it. His actions are him saying he is loyal right up to the point he wants to do something he sees as better. The literal definition of loyalty and integrity would be him turning us down to see out his job with QPR, which it appears he does not want to do.

I don't think that is the case at all. If you say out loud that you are staying in a job because of loyalty and integrity and 4 weeks later are walking out of that job for one you personally prefer, you have thrown your loyalty and integrity out the window in favour of personal preference. I have no problem with him doing that at all, and I think the interviews were probably just him regurgitating the soundbites every managers throws out there but it obviously opens him up to the criticism he has received over it.
Your take , so fair enough, I see it as Beale being offered his dream job a few weeks after the interview.

I don't believe he could turn it down, and certainly not to sustain integrity because of a nothing interview.

Fact is, we could all be wrong and Beale isn't the man , after all.

That's my point, that interview is null and void when the Ranger's job is offered, it becomes a moot point .
It doesn't really. He mentions the importance of integrity, and asking for his players and everyone in the club to go 'all-in' as he has. He says that he has a commitment and "You have to be loyal to the words you’ve used" when in relation to the commitment. It's not like it was a couple years ago.

As I say I do like Beale and am hoping he comes but the words he said in that interview are going to be dissected in the public domain and will be brought up if he gets linked anywhere else as we wouldn't be able to trust what he says.

He's inexperienced and in hindsight he's probably wishing he never said all that, but QPR fans already are all over it 24/7 now.

It could end up being a big part of the reason there's a delay as he'll know he's burning all his bridges there.

It doesn't really. He mentions the importance of integrity, and asking for his players and everyone in the club to go 'all-in' as he has. He says that he has a commitment and "You have to be loyal to the words you’ve used" when in relation to the commitment. It's not like it was a couple years ago.

As I say I do like Beale and am hoping he comes but the words he said in that interview are going to be dissected in the public domain and will be brought up if he gets linked anywhere else as we wouldn't be able to trust what he says.

He's inexperienced and in hindsight he's probably wishing he never said all that, but QPR fans already are all over it 24/7 now.

It could end up being a big part of the reason there's a delay as he'll know he's burning all his bridges there.
Which ever way you look at it, being offered the Rangers job trumps the lot, I do get your take though.

I'm guessing Jordan also knows why Beale would be changing his position, makes great radio to make him squirm, I suppose.

Which ever way you look at it, being offered the Rangers job trumps the lot, I do get your take though.

I'm guessing Jordan also knows why Beale would be changing his position, makes great radio to make him squirm, I suppose.
Yeah we both know it's because it's us , that's the reason he wants to come. He has a connection to us and probably feels he's got unfinished business. Unfortunately, that interview is damaging at both levels as not only will it piss them off down there , it will make it hard to take what he says as the truth while he's here as he was extremely convincing and detailed about loyalty, integrity and staying put there.

As I say he'll regret it currently and it could even stop this happening. I hope not as he's the real deal in terms of coaching.

Beale talked about showing loyalty after rejecting the chance to take over at Wolves just over a month ago.

Simon Jordan has questioned Michael Beale’s integrity now he's on the verge of leaving QPR for Rangers.

The former Ibrox coach is expected to replace Gio van Bronckhorst after the Dutchman was sacked on Monday. Beale was part of Steven Gerrard’s coaching team that won the Scottish Premiership title in 2021, going unbeaten for the entire league campaign. The 42-year-old left with Gerrard and Gary McAllister for Aston Villa just over a year ago, before accepting the R’s offer to become their new head coach last summer.

Wolves approached Beale about taking over from Bruno Lage after he was sacked, but he turned the chance to swap Loftus Road for Molineux. Speaking after he knocked back the Midlands club, Beale said: "Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don't give it to receive it back but I think if they're the values you live by then at times when you're put in a position then you have to be strong by them."

Now talkSport pundit Jordan has called Beale food seemingly being ready to perform a 180 on those principles just over a month later. And the former Crystal palace owner railed against modern managers, insisting none of them are prepared to “earn their stripes”, before moving on to a bigger job.

“I’m perplexed why you would want to be so strident in your view about integrity and 35 days later that’s now changed,” Jordan told talkSport. “I remarked on social media that I hope Sod’s law doesn’t kick in and he loses his next game straight out of the bag and he didn’t. He’s then gone on to lose his next four or five games. People will say perhaps he’s facing some pressure at QPR in a couple of games’ time if he doesn’t win those games.

“Going to Rangers at this point is such a big risk because Celtic have got such a good hold of the league. Postecoglou is in such good nick. These bloody managers need to earn their stripes and should not be jumping at the first opportunity. This time I think he’ll find himself out of the door.”
He is correct

He’s probably right, Beale has shown little loyalty and has jumped ship multiple times in his short career for “better” offers.

I don’t think loyalty really came into it with Wolves either, he just played to the galley when really it was because it wasn’t the right opportunity for him.

His “loyalty” doesn’t fill me with confidence. He’d do the same to us again, he has no problem putting himself first.

I'd be absolutely delighted if he did the same to us again with the league title in the cabinet.

He's not wrong but tbh Beale was probably given soundbites to say anyways.

Regardless I think he could've future-proofed it better. "I appreciate the interest from Wolves but I have to reject the offer and will remain at QPR".

Then "When Rangers came along it's a hard job to turn down and it's a club that's extremely close to my heart and my family loved it up there in Glasgow. QPR was a fantastic club with a great support and I am forever grateful for the opportunity they gave me, which I believe I showed by turning down wolves to stay. However Rangers is a one in a lifetime opportunity for me and moving back to Scotland is something my family would like to do, there was no way I could ever turn down the fantastic opportunity."

Mentioning loyalty in any way shape of form in 2022 football is mental talk. Nobody is loyal these days. There's very few players/managers even over the past few decades with true loyalty and even then I don't think the clubs would have been so loyal to them had things not went down as planned.

The most loyalty we can expect from managers and players these days IMO starts and ends at the beginning/end of a season. If Beale stays with us and leaves at the end of a season, no ill will. If he runs off like Gerrard, then there'll be some distaste towards him.

I keep trying to talk myself around to the idea of Beale becoming our new man, but somehow I just can’t feel anything other than a bit deflated by the appointment.
I am the same as you bro. I am underwhelmed and want to be so wrong. I do remember long before the online keyboard warrior era being similarly underwhelmed when we replaced Souness with his assistant. Not sure many of thought that was genius. The great Sir Walter did not work out too badly Maybe we get it right again.

As for Jordan’s comment, he is directionally right. Gerrard was disloyal to us, and Beale would be the same to QPR if he comes. He shouldn’t have taken the morale high ground over the Wolves job, so just because he may want to be here doesn’t make it right. There is no loyalty in any club and manager relationship, or indeed fans and manage as we showed only too well with Gio as a support.

Anyone is free to ply there trade wherever they like ,it may be an inconvenience to the likes of Jordan ,but those are the rules and Qpr will be compensated ,I suppose he has been a paragon of virtue in all his business dealings or as is more likely the case another hypocrite.

Jordan knows next to nothing about our League and how it operates. The obese Aussie has also had a free run at the SPFL and has been chronic in Europe, despite spending a fortune.

This has played out like this:

Beale takes QPR job.

Beale is approached by Wolves. Clearly he'd jump at the chance to move but Wolves don't give him the assurances he needs about transfer money, etc.

He gives a fairly lazy interview to QPR TV about the importance of loyalty - he can't at this point say, "Aye, I'd have taken the job if they'd given me more money, but now I'm stuck with you lot."

Rangers come in for him, a job he can't turn down, and it looks like he's off.

If I was a QPR fan, it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth. In fact, it's not an awfully lot different from what Gerrard did to this.

Ultimately, Beale must have thought he'd have taken the Wolves job and didn't think the Rangers job would have become available.

There's very little loyalty in football usually
That's true. I think we're all grown up enough to accept that these players / managers are only loyal if they're paid enough.

However, I do think you need to also be careful what you say. Beale is new to management so his interviews are going to come back to haunt him.

“Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don’t give it to receive it back but I think if they’re the values you live by then at times when you’re put in a position then you have to be strong by them.

I have been all-in here and I have asked other people to be all-in so I can’t be the first person to run away from the ship.”

This is one of the quotes that have QPR fans losing it and to be fair we'd be the same. We still going about Gerrard do I look happy quote.

If Jordan doesn't know the difference between offered the Wolves job and the Rangers job he shouldn't be in football.

Beale loved his time at Rangers and being the manager would be his dream job.if he is offered the job then he has been succesful in his ambition to manage the club he has already been at and loves.theres a massive difference being offered the wolves job and being offered the job to manage Rangers which is his ultimate goal.

Who also have coaching qualifications & have experience in Brazil, at Chelsea/Villa & QPR?
Brazil ... sacked after 6 months
Chelsea ... coached mainly under 7 and under 9s
Villa ... 3rd in command ... 6 months
QPR ... nearly 6 months ... win rate 40%

Sound like our kinda manager? I'll give him ... 6 months seem to be about his limit.

Not for me guys ... but i'm open to being convinced otherwise.

You would think after someone like Gerrard said 'When Rangers call you get a special feeling' they would start to understand.
You don’t think that was just a sound bite too?

Folk fall for all this ‘Rangers-itis’ bullshit all the time. It’s all about money and prestige. Loyalty belongs to fans and an extremely small number of players and managers. It’s that simple

Brazil ... sacked after 6 months
Chelsea ... coached mainly under 7 and under 9s
Villa ... 3rd in command ... 6 months
QPR ... nearly 6 months ... win rate 40%

Sound like our kinda manager? I'll give him ... 6 months seem to be about his limit.

Not for me guys ... but i'm open to being convinced otherwise.
Beale out!

Back