Michael Bridge talks rangers transfers on sky sports

Another big advantage we'll have over knewco come next season.

I would guess about 4 pre-contract signings meaning we don't need to spend as much on transfer fees in the summer window when money will be tight any money we do have can be targeted at players with that extra bit of quality.

We could really get miles in front if we play our cards right

Bringing in young players on a bargain is definitely a solid strategy while they flail around and pick up the next Duffy or Barkas, throwing multi-millions down the drain in the process

Also we have the benefit of having just seen a class guide from them on the easiest way to %^*& up from a position of strength, so hopefully we at least dont do that

Recruitment is key. That mob have wasted all the profit from Tierney on nonsense such as Duffy, Ajeti, Barkas and Kilmala. It’s crucial we don’t make the same mistake.
when the media talk of their amazing recruitment, what they are actually referring to is transfers that happened about 7 years ago and getting lucky with Dembele & Edouard. everything in between has been horrendous, utterly glorious

Not sure how they are going to spin it but they need a revolution in there organisation to get a modern setup established , plus a couple of seasons to get it working properly . That’s IF they do it right .

%^*& them . Forever . I hope they crash and burn .

In the SPL a player is only good business once you actually get them sold for a lot more than you paid for. You can't say Kamara has been good business until we actually sell him.
Yes you can.

He’s been pivotal to our success in Europe and a potential league title come May. That in itself generates a shit load of cash which has been great from a “business and commercial” point of view.

That’s like saying Davie Weir wasn’t good business because we didn’t sell him for a fee :D

Last edited:
Recruitment is key. That mob have wasted all the profit from Tierney on nonsense such as Duffy, Ajeti, Barkas and Kilmala. It’s crucial we don’t make the same mistake.
Agree getting big fees can help but if you are selling your better players and replacing with flops and not strengthening overall results will suffer and your assets will depreciate. We are seeing this happen now. Gerrard has had some signings that did not work Grezda, Sadiq Stewart and others but for every Rangers signing that did not work out under Gerrard you can easily name 2-3 for Celtic during same time frame(or perhaps not as they are loaned out or hardly played).

Yes you can.

He’s been pivotal to our success in Europe and a potential league title come May. That in itself generates a shit load of cash which has been great from a “business and commercial” point of view.

That’s like no saying Davie Weir wasn’t good business because we didn’t sell him for a fee :D
100% agreement here even if Kamara ran his contract down and left on a free he has paid 50k fee and wages in his overall performances easily.

In the SPL a player is only good business once you actually get them sold for a lot more than you paid for. You can't say Kamara has been good business until we actually sell him.
How is signing a player that would now be in a different universe in terms of what we could afford to bring in for £50k not good business?

This is one of the most mental takes I have ever read mate

Really?

So you don’t consider Rod Wallace to have represented good value in his time here?

Absolute drivel, have you even thought about what you have just said. Getting a player for peanuts isnt good business, who has been amazing for us both in the league and Europe for a paltry 50k isn't good business, heard it all now.

The best bit about that clip is Sky can’t speculate, because there are no leaks at the club. The can only chat about the facts.

its truly impressive the way Ross Wilson and the club go about transfers now.

Sorry, mate, but that's pish. If he left tomorrow for nothing his performances would still mean he'd paid back the £50k transfer fee many times over.

So if we punt him now for let's say 100k that will be 100% mark up in investment not a bad return in that sense, any takers for Kamara say 100k ?
It has been mentioned my many bringing that signing forward by 6 months for 50k was a masterstroke and one we are looking to follow ie get them in allow settling period and hit to close season as part of a team.

Ridiculous.

You obviously missed the fact we are unbeaten in the league and Europe and hes been quality.

We have had our moneys worth 50 fold even if we let lim go for free.

Which we won't.

That’s just rubbish we never sold Ian Ferguson or John Brown, Goram or McCoist i could go on ,all where bought at a very reasonable price whose contribution to Rangers was much more than had we sold them.

when the media talk of their amazing recruitment, what they are actually referring to is transfers that happened about 7 years ago and getting lucky with Dembele & Edouard. everything in between has been horrendous, utterly glorious
Those mystical transfers...
Yes a couple of good ones, that time has past. Only the average to complete dross left now as we will see in the summer when all the down grades kick in.

I think due to covid a bigger emphasis will be placed on good pre contract signings i don't think well spend big on terms if transfer fees maybe one or two on fees unless we're having to replace anyone. We're in such a good place with our squad right now and with Ross Wilson dealing with transfers we knoe who ever comes in will fit into our system and the way we play wont be signing square pegs for round holes unlike them across the city

I really hope we've identified replacements for any key players that leave - kamara, morelos, Barasic have all been linked with moves. I'm not saying they'll all definitely leave but if they were to, even the way the market is they'd command decent money, and we'd need replacements able to hit the ground running. The pre contract young player route is all well and good, we should be taking advantage of it when we can but not solely dependent on it. TBH the way we've gone about our business lately Im sure weve got a few names in mind for those positions or for any others we might lose.

Agree getting big fees can help but if you are selling your better players and replacing with flops and not strengthening overall results will suffer and your assets will depreciate. We are seeing this happen now. Gerrard has had some signings that did not work Grezda, Sadiq Stewart and others but for every Rangers signing that did not work out under Gerrard you can easily name 2-3 for Celtic during same time frame(or perhaps not as they are loaned out or hardly played).

Sadiq a back up striker or loan: Nothing ventured, nothing lost.

Harsh on Stewart too. A player signed on a fee to benefit the squad rather than the whole team and fill the bench in European games due to being homegrown. I genuinely don't think he ever really got a chance to impress, but his signing was all about providing cover and competition for minimal outlay. Successfully achieved in my books!

Genuinely think the only failed signing for Gerrard has been Grezda, in that he flopped in his displays and attitude and ultimately lost us money without having contributed in the field.

Taking into account the unarguably successful acquisitions of McGregor, McLaughlin, Katic, Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Barisic, Kamara, Davis, Arfield, Kent, Hagi, Defoe and Roofe (plus what look like sound investments in Itten, Bassey and Aribo) and we have been absolutely blessed!

What a time it is being a Rangers fan. I still can't believe how quickly it has turned around, but Boy am I loving it. So a massive thanks to all that has made it possible.

Novo in that bracket as well he scored some pretty important goals that generated us a lot of money.
Forgot about novo.
Ally at 15 years which equates to 20k per annum on a transfer fee cannot be beaten.
Before my time as i was born in 66, a older fan said it was colin stein who was the best based on the transfer fee and just in general. He rated him higher than Ally.

He has been very full of praise of us in the last few shows he has done. Getting great coverage for the way we are playing, our media team and our transfer activity. On the way back to the top and the long may it continue.

Kamara has been a great signing from a footballing perspective, but you can't really say it has been great business until we actually sell him for a high price.

There is so little money in the SPL shirt sales and TV money probably hardly covers players wages.

Boumsong is a great piece of business that springs to mind, signed for free and sold months later for £8m.
Stop digging. Let it go quietly. :))

Latest posts

Back