Michael Laudrup

Wonderful, Such similar running styles between the two Brothers, How close did we come to uniting them at Ibrox? I remember paper talk at some point.

One of the greatest footballers to ever play the game, up there with Platini and Zidane. For some reason very underrated these days. He was also Iniesta’s idol which can be seen in a few of the dribbling moves that he’s taken from Laudrup. Michael Laudrup’s ability to dribble, see and play perfectly weighted defence splitting passes was incredible. The fact that he’s played for both Barca and Real and is still respected and adored by both sets of fans speaks volumes too.

Mind you he’s still only my second favourite Laudrup.

I remember being around 13/14 and a CL quarter or semi final was being played in the 90s on ITV.(I think it was RM v Juve?)

All of my mates were at the door to come out and play World Cup and I stayed in because I knew Michael Laudrup was playing.

Either that makes me a sad football geek bastard or him one of the greatest players of that time.
Or both of course.

Are the Laudrups the two best footballing brothers/relatives of all time? Too young to have seen either but cant think of any other pair of relatives who were both on their level

Just my opinion.
Raul was asked who was the best player you played with. He answered... Michael Laudrup.

A great player, one of my earliest memories of international football was watching betamax videos of the '86 world cup highlights. Michael Laudrup always sticks in my memory due to the daft way the commentator pronounced his name 'Ma-kay-ell'.

Anyway as good as he was I'd still go with ZZ too. Couple years ago FourFourTwo done a 'Galacticos' piece. Ronaldo, Figo, Roberto Carlos and Zidane. Quote from Roberto Carlos:

“Only Zidane would say that Zidane was not the best. We would joke about the fact that he was the only one who didn’t think he was the most skilful player of his generation"

Some accolade in that company. Good debate to have in fairness, both absolute geniuses.

Are the Laudrups the two best footballing brothers/relatives of all time? Too young to have seen either but cant think of any other pair of relatives who were both on their level

Thorgan and Eden Hazard both played very well for Belgium tonight. Eden would need to achieve the sort of success that Michael had at Barcelona in the next four or five seasons - and I don't think there's anything stopping him from hitting that level with his ability. Football has almost completely changed from the early 90s but Hazard will be fitter, faster and work harder than Michael Laudrup if you ignore the natural ability argument that's hard to quantify across different eras. Thorgan looked every bit as impressive as Eden but I don't know if he'll be as good - much like as good as Brian was that's no slight on him. He's at Dortmund and could easily push on based on that performance earlier. I think the De Boer brothers are also likely to be two of the highest performing brothers in the game.

I remember being around 13/14 and a CL quarter or semi final was being played in the 90s on ITV.(I think it was RM v Juve?)

All of my mates were at the door to come out and play World Cup and I stayed in because I knew Michael Laudrup was playing.

Either that makes me a sad football geek bastard or him one of the greatest players of that time.
Or both of course.

A hipster when you were 13. Well done.

Thorgan and Eden Hazard both played very well for Belgium tonight. Eden would need to achieve the sort of success that Michael had at Barcelona in the next four or five seasons - and I don't think there's anything stopping him from hitting that level with his ability. Football has almost completely changed from the early 90s but Hazard will be fitter, faster and work harder than Michael Laudrup if you ignore the natural ability argument that's hard to quantify across different eras. Thorgan looked every bit as impressive as Eden but I don't know if he'll be as good - much like as good as Brian was that's no slight on him. He's at Dortmund and could easily push on based on that performance earlier. I think the De Boer brothers are also likely to be two of the highest performing brothers in the game.

The Neville's

Baresi's brother being an Inter stalwart always seemed like it was designed for a future trivia question.

Serie_A_1979-80_-_AC_Milan_v_Inter_Milan_-_Giuseppe_and_Franco_Baresi.jpg

18 caps for Italy and 6 trophies. Not quite as good as his brother but still probably good enough for inclusion in any debate on the best footballing brothers.

Giuseppe's daughter also played for Inter:

376605-3b263396e7ae966435fc3bf3fd79ee9acbfc48a2f9e2e60446b192cd3b5473f9.jpg

Michael Laudrup, imo is the greatest player Europe has produced in the last 50 years. Yes even better than Zidane.

If he was English, French, German or Italian he'd have been a world legend.

That’s a decent shout mate.

I personally think Zidane shades it, but I can definitely see the argument.

Michael Laudrup is one of my favourite players of all time.

I’d put him right up there alongside Messi, Ronaldo, fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Zidane. He was a magnificent footballer.

Michael was a level above even Brian, but what a pair of talented footballers. They were both a joy to watch, and I’m just happy I saw one of them in a Rangers jersey.

Brain Laudrup was absolutely world class his brother was on another planet one of the greatest to ever play the game.

If you want to talk about poise technique the ability to walk past players and that wee one two shuffle a player who could do it all with both feet!!

They don’t make them like that anymore.

Here's a wee video of their old boy. Only 90 secs long, but you can see it....

Michael is one of the greatest of all time,wasn’t it Micheal who played in his last el Classico for Barca and helped them to a 5-1 victory,he then signed for Real in the summer and in his first el Classico with them,he helped his aside to a 5-1 victory

He was truly amazing and we where in talks to sign him at one point,just before he retired I think.
And who can’t forget the story of the Rangers fan who approached him after a game with a danish team national top,and asked him to sign it,telling him he was a bear,Michael signed the top
‘Best wishes Michael Laudrup’
WATP

Was he completely two footed?

From the videos I’d say he was naturally right footed, but could use his left equally as well to pass and shoot?

Wonderful, Such similar running styles between the two Brothers, How close did we come to uniting them at Ibrox? I remember paper talk at some point.
It never came close.
Players of Michael Laudrups calibre don't play in Scotland.

Back