Michael Mols - from player to fan

mdingwall

Administrator
utxIqjE.jpg

A true Ranger through and through.

My da met and spoke to him in a McDonald’s, asked him to sign a napkin of all things and the dafty went and accidentally binned the napkin with the fuckin tray :rolleyes:
My mother was in the same ward as his wife at the SGH, so there is a far chance Nino & I are born on the same day!.

My favourite player of the recent era. I actually met him when I was in hospitality at a game a couple of seasons ago and got my photo taken with him. In the photo I look absolutely deranged because I was so happy.
Same, people go on about his turn etc, beyond that he was a complete striker. Able to score a wide range of goals and his touch was absolutely superb.

He's right up there with players like Gazza and Laudrup for me

One my favourite ever. He was still great after his injury albeit there' no doubting what a massive blow it was to him of course but the team too.

I remember one day at Ibrox versus Dunfermline he turned Scott Wilson inside out with a sublime piece of skill.
Wilson proceeded to take a yard long divot out the turf in trying to recover.

Through a friend I’ve been lucky enough to get to know Mikey really well over that past few years & have attended a few games with him & his friends when they come over. He’s an an absolute gem of a guy who genuinely loves the club & the fans. I know he’ll be desperate to come over & join in the celebrations when we bring home 55.

My cousin was his next door neighbour in Newton Mearns and Reyna also living across the road. I was forever asking for signed stuff. When I eventually met Mols years later I mentioned about my cousin and the first thing he said was about the requests. A wonderful player to watch. that turn was majestic!

Top quality player. Strong and technically able.

Fantastic ability to turn opponents, and so hard to dispossess.

Was so dissapointed when he incurred that terrible injury -- I can only speculate the heights he would have reached if it were not for that.

One of the most exciting players I’ve ever saw playing for us. A truly fantastic striker. I hate Oliver Kahn for what he did.

Great player, robbed of his best years by that horrendous injury.
Recently seen footage of him, Arthur Numan, Albertz and I think Ally Dawson from a Rangers supporters function in Australia. He's definitely one of us, as are the others. Once a Ger.....

The support adored him but it was so obvious he loved the club and the fans just as much.
What a striker he was, it was tragic he got that injury because who knows how far we could here gone with him up front that season.

I have always said he would have been the best player ever to have played on these shores. I was nine when we signed him and recall watching a VHS recording of his debut in Finland against FC Haka. His two goals are still in my mind's eye 20 years on. Then the goal at Hearts and four past the Goalie at Ibrox. An unbelievable talent.

I have always said he would have been the best player ever to have played on these shores. I was nine when we signed him and recall watching a VHS recording of his debut in Finland against FC Haka. His two goals are still in my mind's eye 20 years on. Then the goal at Hearts and four past the Goalie at Ibrox. An unbelievable talent.
Quite how he was only linked with us and Sheffield Wednesday at the age of 29 will never make sense. These days that wouldn't happen but even 20 years ago that is baffling.

Remember being at the Aberdeen game when there was thousands of Utrecht fans had come over for the match.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure that as soon as Mols signed for us, the Utrech fans immediately created a Rangers supporters club and had the largest membership of any club straight away?

Last edited:
One of those ones you wonder how he ended up playing for Utrecht till he was 29. However, if I’m being totally honest he gets romanticised about an awful lot.

People base their opinion on him from 19 games, rather than the following 130 that he played.

I can understand that because of how skilful he was, also the hope that we had of challenging for European competition stemmed from his signing.

He was the missing piece of the jigsaw & tore Cannavaro/Thuram apart, then inflicted the same treatment on Bayern & PSV.

I think if he was a better finisher & remained fit he may have moved onto a big club after a year, that said it worked out in a funny way cause he contributed massively in 02/03.

Seems a thoroughly nice chap who played his part in some great Rangers success.

You just wonder what could have been.

Last edited:
Remember being at the Aberdeen game when there was thousands of Utrecht fans had come over for the match.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure that as soon as Mols signed for us, the Utrech fans immediately created a Rangers supported club and had the largest membership of any club straight away?

07-C4-DCF4-345-A-4916-A67-A-6-BBB52-B12-AEC.jpg

A young Dirk Kuyt reminds me of Gary from friends :))

First game I seen him was against Haka. I was like holy shit this guy is tremendous.
Didn't know a thing about him before it was announced that he'd be signing. Saw his last game for Utrecht before he joined us - looked amazing and was carried off the pitch on his teammates shoulders. Clearly a class act and respected by his teammates.

Had it not been for that injury, he would have been one of the greatest ever to wear the shirt.

If it wasn't for that injury in Munich, I believe he would have been one if the Rangers greats. Never seen a player who could bamboozle defenders like he could. What a player and what a shame he suffered that injury. Saying that, he still had a great rangers career, but could have been spectacular. Just loved michael mols!!

One of those ones you wonder how he ended up playing for Utrecht till he was 29. However, if I’m being totally honest he gets romanticised about an awful lot.

People base their opinion on him from 19 games, rather than the following 130 that he played.

I can understand that because of how skilful he was, also the hope that we had of challenging for European competition stemmed from his signing.

He was the missing piece of the jigsaw & tore Cannavaro/Thuram apart, then inflicted the same treatment on Bayern & PSV.

I think if he was a better finisher & remained fit he may have moved onto a big club after a year, that said it worked out in a funny way cause he contributed massively in 02/03.

Seems a thoroughly nice chap who played his part in some great Rangers success.

You just wonder what could have been.
I've yet to see another player who had such an impact as Mols did in those 19 games though.

Any time I see him, I'm the same as you - I wonder just what he could have went on to do for us.

I've yet to see another player who had such an impact as Mols did in those 19 games though.

Any time I see him, I'm the same as you - I wonder just what he could have went on to do for us.
Negri? I think Mols was a far superior player and agree that it’s very much a case of what might have been, but Negri’s first half season was unreal from a goal scoring perspective.

Kind words from a great Rangers player.
I just love it when players just 100% get the club, and more importantly the supporters. Clint Hill for a more recent example. He never player here for long, but will be fondly remembered for giving his all.

My favourite all time. Remember at the fun fair once years ago. He met fans and a wee mate of mine wanted to go on one of the rides with him. He said "ill sign autographs young man but I can't go on them, ill have a shake going on the team cups" lol took it he hates rides.

Back