Michael Owen as a pundit

Davie Weir

At the Leeds game yesterday when talking about their goalkeeper he said, 'I remember watching him when he was about 16 at Leeds' academy. 'He just looked the part. Leeds were dominating the game that I watched.'He hardly had a touch, but you know when you just see someone thinking "he's got a chance"? Just by his appearance, the way he spoke, positioned himself.'

The bizarre part of this all is that the goalkeeper in question Illan Meslier only signed for Leeds in 2019 and was playing for Lorients second team at 16 :D

Another mental screw up from Owen who’s great punditry includes quotes like these…

7cf84f50ffd712975316e10f01ea9048.jpg

DuYdoUwWkAELzw4.jpg

images

Just an utterly unlikeable guy. Terrific player when he still had pace but that gimpy celebration rubbing his hands together, absolutely taking the pish out of Newcastle, signing for Man U. And that's before his horrendous commentary that would get football stopped.

Couldn’t the likes of James Richardson and Gabriel Marcotti be more involved with English football? There seems to be a lot of presenters and pundits who really aren’t any good.

Andy Gray is badly missed too,

He claimed gazza turned up at madrids reception with a pair of football boots to get a game when he was on the drink at 38 yo. There's no pictures of it and gazza has never said it I don't think. It was when gazza was at at one of his lowest points so he's not done it as a laugh. Owen said he wasn't in a stable mind. I don't think that happened but why would he make up something like that.

Guys a total fanny I remember seeing a clip of him running about the BT sports studio celebrating Barcelona scoring a last minute winner.

Reactions: VGM
Guys a total fanny I remember seeing a clip of him running about the BT sports studio celebrating Barcelona scoring a last minute winner.

Imagine seeing Prso running about a Croatian studio if the scum scored a last minute goal in Europe.

Just an utterly unlikeable guy. Terrific player when he still had pace but that gimpy celebration rubbing his hands together, absolutely taking the pish out of Newcastle, signing for Man U. And that's before his horrendous commentary that would get football stopped.
He had tremendous pace, and knew where the back of the net was, & was lethal.

His fitness & pace deserted him, never really hit the heights in la liga, although Ferguson knew he could do a job & think was a very shrewd signing for them, & he did do a job while there (when fit).

Punditry is not his bag whatsoever though.

He had tremendous pace, and knew where the back of the net was, & was lethal.

His fitness & pace deserted him, never really hit the heights in la liga, although Ferguson knew he could do a job & think was a very shrewd signing for them, & he did do a job while there (when fit).

Punditry is not his bag whatsoever though.
One of the most bizarre stories of modern football. Started off like the brightest prospect in the game and had a sensational few years then descended into injury and eventually obscurity. Even with the injuries he had it seems strange he became so irrelevant and was lucky desperate clubs kept paying him huge wages in the misguided belief he could somehow recapture his youthful days.

A bit like Gareth Bale you get the feeling he never really loved football quite as much as he was good at it which is a real shame. You can see hes followed that up into punditry where he rarely says anything remotely interesting or insightful, just generic nonsense in exchange for being a name on the coach.

Being thick as mince and personality vacuum may not help.

For someone as good as he was I doubt he any club he played for considers him a Legend or remembers him with great fondness and that is ultimately rather sad.

I was in Chester for a job interview a few years back and who should pass me in the street but Michael Owen. The look on his face said he knew that I thought he was an @rse. :D

Last edited:
Is it his sister that is a reporter/ pundit on sky? Maybe no relation, but either way she is more knowledgeable and communicates better than him.

I will buck the trend here and say I don't mind him. He is maybe not the brightest, and a little on the dull side, but he seems fairly harmless to me. Plenty more people in this world more deserving of my hate than him.

Reactions: VGM
He just seems like he's not fan of the sport that made him a millionaire. Quite bizzare

Back