Michel Platini The Player

And for those who never saw him, what a player he was. An attacking midfielder with an excellent goalscoring record he was the star player in the famous French midfield, le carre magique, of the 1980's. In France he is still thought of as their best ever player - correctly, imo.

The French are aboslutely right to think so, and that´s some accolade considering the amount of fantastic players they´ve had over the years.

He was brilliant but to see him running about at Heysel with his top off and beating his bare chest speaks volumes about him as a person.
Scumbag!

One of my favourite players. A French team that didn't quite make it in the World Cup, losing their nerve twice against the Germans.

A terrific midfield with Tigana, Giresse and Fernandez. And they had brilliant strips 82-86.
Patrick Battison at the back and Didier Six up front

Honestly thought that he would do a great deal of good in his UEFA role - how Wrong I was .

The greatest French player ever, for an attacking midfielder his goalscoring figures were phenomenal, better than 1 in 2 for club and country.

Numbers don’t always tell the whole story. Zidane was the classiest footballer I have ever seen.
Great player who has a legitimate claim to be France's 2nd best ever.

Easy to think of him as the best if you are under 40 though.

Do you know - I can't even admire the player he used to be due to the absolute piece of shit arsehole he became. Not even worth remembering.

Just passed that barrier the other week.
Understandable then that you would think ZZ.

MP was at his peak from when you were a foetus until about age 6.

France Football magazine (hugely influential at the time) had a poll early 2000's (peak ZZ) and MP still won it.

Just watched the official the 82 and 86 World Cup videos (Connery and Caine)

How a player like that can turn into what he is is beyond me.

Watched the 86 one on Amazon the other night, anywhere to watch the 82 one online? Cheers.

Understandable then that you would think ZZ.

MP was at his peak from when you were a foetus until about age 6.

France Football magazine (hugely influential at the time) had a poll early 2000's (peak ZZ) and MP still won it.

IMO Platini is the greatest French player I've seen

You know threads like this crop up and you realise what truly world class players are. Platini is certainly in there. I dont want to upset people but when I seen the thread the other day on what world class players we have had play for us some of the names suggested were incredible, honestly good players as they were as the old saying goes they couldn't even lace the boots of the true greats?

Watching the footage, I forgot that he didn't seem to need any run-up for a dead ball! fantastic player, piece of sh*t as person!

On this day in 1982 Platini signed for Juventus:

EW3Ya8QX0AMh7aj

Absolutely brilliant player. Zidane was probably more skilful all round, but it's hard to argue that he was more effective than Platini.

The French side of the 80s reminds me a lot of the Brazil side of the same time with Socrates and Zico, in terms of trophies eclipsed by teams from both nations that came later, but IMO still the far far better side to watch.

I thought with this title he’d been caught shaggin.

Platini's wife is supposed to have had an affair with his teammate, Larios, which unsurprisingly is suppsed to have caused a lot of problems within the French squad.

Back