Michel Preud'homme

Indeed, but Heart and Hand summed it up perfectly.
The fans would probably forgive the board if the new man was 'a Proud Gers man' but fell short.

But certainly, there's no wriggle room if a foreign manager came in and failed. Just the way it goes sadly and the board would be slaughtered.

I disagree . Their last two managers have failed and the board are drinking in last chance saloon with this next appointment .

If Celtic march onto 10 with this board constantly making a pigs ear of managerial appointments , they're finished .

I disagree . Their last two managers have failed and the board are drinking in last chance saloon with this next appointment .

If Celtic march onto 10 with this board constantly making a pigs ear of managerial appointments , they're finished .

and you are correct. They need to play safe here unless it was a truly outstanding game changer appearing to take over.

and you are correct. They need to play safe here unless it was a truly outstanding game changer appearing to take over.
Playing it safe and only getting second will buy them little time before the fans see we're never gonna challenge under McInnes and call for his head as 10 in a row approaches. The board will be dragged out of Ibrox if they don't deliver us a manager that can win the league. So this whole safe bet thing isn't gonna wash when Celtic are about to win 10 in a row. We either go for it and be brave or settle for second, shitebags cause we didn't want to take the risk on a manager like MPH because it was the apparent "safe bet"

So did Warburton. What's your point? He failed to adapt and teams had us all figurer out. Warburton underestimated our league. Rodgers didn't know about the Scottish game, he may have watched it as a kid growing up but you think a manager in England would have time to watch Scottish football?

Of course he knew about the Scottish game, it’s daft to argue otherwise. He might not have watched a game every week but he will have watched old firm games and will have been looking at players as a manager of Reading and Swansea also being from NI he’d have known exactly what Scottish football is all about.

Of course he knew about the Scottish game, it’s daft to argue otherwise. He might not have watched a game every week but he will have watched old firm games and will have been looking at players as a manager of Reading and Swansea also being from NI he’d have known exactly what Scottish football is all about.
Right. Does he play a Scottish style of football?

No, we think he'll step up from the Sheep and win the league, stop putting words in the mouths of others.

Similar to how McLeish stepped up from Hibs and Motherwell and Walter Smith stepped up from Dundee Utd assistant.

I’m not saying McInnes won’t step up, but this sort of logic blows my mind.

McInnes’ potential success cannot be compared to Smith or McLeish due to their backgrounds anymore than Preud’homme’s can to Pedro or PLG. They are all different men. Unless we’ve got the results of in depth psychometric testing for all of them, then it’s ridiculous. They’re all individual. They’re all isolated events under very different circumstances. There is no comparison to be made from this angle.

I keep reading that we have to play it safe or he has to be this or that. What he needs to be is good. Yes, it would be preferable if he was Scottish/British, but I'm not seeing many options, in this category, who make me think he is the obvious candidate.

The best solution may be McInnes (who is a good manager), and until he is given the opportunity to manage a big club we'll never know, but I don't think we should be narrowing the field to any potential options. If we are then all that says to me is that we don't have the proper structures in place and we don't really have a plan.

As an afterthought I will use Pochettino as an example. Would the fans have been happy if we had signed him from Espanyol? He had a win ratio of just over 30%, was foreign - a dastardly Argie and couldn't speak English. Would they take him now?

He plays the best football the world has ever known according to the Scottish media, I tend to avoid watching them but from what I’ve seen it’s hardly revolutionary.
The answer is he doesn't play a Scottish style. And he's been a success. Yet... People want us to avoid foreigners cause they will want to play a different style from Scotland. Brenda seems to be managing, yet we should go back to the successful Scottish style of football under McInnes? Terrific.

Folk will be raging when they pass our 54 league titles. But you will have the McInnes lovers saying he is a pure Rangers man, man.

Depends on your definition of “safe”.

I’d consider a candidate who has turned clubs around, won leagues and cups with underdogs in similar standard leagues, had success in the same Euro competition, has worked as and under a DoF, won 6 manager of the year awards, and is keen to come as a much “safer” option.

But maybe I’m fucking nuts and it’s all about upbringing.

I keep reading that we have to play it safe or he has to be this or that. What he needs to be is good. Yes, it would be preferable if he was Scottish/British, but I'm not seeing many options, in this category, who make me think he is the obvious candidate.

The best solution may be McInnes (who is a good manager), and until he is given the opportunity to manage a big club we'll never know, but I don't think we should be narrowing the field to any potential options. If we are then all that says to me is that we don't have the proper structures in place and we don't really have a plan.

As an afterthought I will use Pochettino as an example. Would the fans have been happy if we had signed him from Espanyol? He had a win ratio of just over 30%, was foreign - a dastardly Argie and couldn't speak English. Would they take him now?

Good post, we simply do not know who would succeed and who would fail cv’s can only tell you so much. No one should be ruled out because of their nationality that is ridiculous.

There is no guarantee McInnes or MPH will be better than the other, nothing is guaranteed in football especially when it comes to picking a manager.

Making out McInnes can’t win the league because he’s only come second with Aberdeen is as daft as saying MPH won’t because he’s foreign.

Good post, we simply do not know who would succeed and who would fail cv’s can only tell you so much. No one should be ruled out because of their nationality that is ridiculous.

There is no guarantee McInnes or MPH will be better than the other, nothing is guaranteed in football especially when it comes to picking a manager.

Making out McInnes can’t win the league because he’s only come second with Aberdeen is as daft as saying MPH won’t because he’s foreign.
So if it's McInnes and MPH then go with the one who has a proven track record of winning trophies. Forget he is foreign.

Being foreign really shouldn't come into it. Just look at all the top clubs in the EPL, everyone of them has a foreign manager. Having said that they are proven managers. We should go for the best we can get regardless of nationality.

So if it's McInnes and MPH then go with the one who has a proven track record of winning trophies. Forget he is foreign.

His track record is impressive and should definitely be on the final shortlist and be interviewed.

But can you directly go on just trophies one vs McInnes, Standard Liège and Bruges won’t have had a budget a tenth the size of Anderlecht’s. The league simply wasn’t in play for McInnes at Aberdeen.

And it is an advantage that McInnes played for Rangers under Smith and Advocaat, knows all the players and everything about the Scottish game, even if it isn’t the be all and end all.

His track record is impressive and should definitely be on the final shortlist and be interviewed.

But can you directly go on just trophies one vs McInnes, Standard Liège and Bruges won’t have had a budget a tenth the size of Anderlecht’s. The league simply wasn’t in play for McInnes at Aberdeen.

And it is an advantage that McInnes played for Rangers under Smith and Advocaat, knows all the players and everything about the Scottish game, even if it isn’t the be all and end all.
Sorry, I'd take the guy who has a higher win % and the trophies to back it up over someone who has won %^*& all in comparison. Preud'homme I believe can lead us to the title, McInnes I don't.

Take into tactical knowledge, player development, spotting players McInnes has no attribute managerial wise superior to MPH. The only thing, if you want to call it a thing McInness has is he knows the club. According to Preud'homme agent, he knows Rangers and knows it's a massive club.

People said Pedro got it at Rangers. He knew the expectation, that wasn't Pedro's downfall. It was the results and his tactics that confused even the most loyal Rangers fan. That's what sealed Pedro's fate. He was foreign, he got what was needed to be a Rangers manager. He just couldn't produce his team to get results. Where Pedro failed at this, MPH would succeed in my opinion.

Sorry, I'd take the guy who has a higher win % and the trophies to back it up over someone who has won %^*& all in comparison. Preud'homme I believe can lead us to the title, McInnes I don't.

Take into tactical knowledge, player development, spotting players McInnes has no attribute managerial wise superior to MPH. The only thing, if you want to call it a thing McInness has is he knows the club. According to Preud'homme agent, he knows Rangers and knows it's a massive club.

People said Pedro got it at Rangers. He knew the expectation, that wasn't Pedro's downfall. It was the results and his tactics that confused even the most loyal Rangers fan. That's what sealed Pedro's fate. He was foreign, he got what was needed to be a Rangers manager. He just couldn't produce his team to get results. Where Pedro failed at this, MPH would succeed in my opinion.

It's hard to say just by looking at stats though. Pedro seems to be well liked from his spells in Mexico (Herrera worked with him before) and Qatar (Weiss seemed to like him) so he was obviously doing something right there. It's clear that for whatever reason he hasn't managed to get everyone on board and there were some in the dressing room who were happy (Candeias probably given his reaction to his goal against Hamilton) but it's looking more like some others didn't get it like Miller, Wallace and possibly Dorrans. I think Pedro made a huge mistake when he first arrived by having the players in 6 days a week for long sessions and making them all cancel their Summer plans by wanting them in earlier than had been agreed with Warburton. I think that really upset a number of them with the likes of Garner and Wallace having wedding plans. He's just come in too full on instead of gradually changing things. I think that was Pedro's downfall and the way Kiernan, Forrester, O'Halloran and others were treated wasn't very nice. Can't have went down well.

We need a manager that is going to come in and have the respect of the players and be a good man manager as well as knowing how to get results on the pitch. We need to get a winning mentality drummed into these players.

Warburton was too stubborn to change his approach on the pitch and couldn't handle being challenged about it. Barton out etc.

Caixinha seemed to be a bit more flexible in his tactical approach but also couldn't handle being challenged. Miller out, Wallace and others being asked to stay away. Trying to send a message which didn't work.

I'd be happy with Preud'homme being given a shot as long as he has the right character for the job and isn't going to be stubborn and unapproachable to the players. Would also like someone with knowledge and experience of the Scottish league to part of the team.

It's hard to say just by looking at stats though. Pedro seems to be well liked from his spells in Mexico (Herrera worked with him before) and Qatar (Weiss seemed to like him) so he was obviously doing something right there. It's clear that for whatever reason he hasn't managed to get everyone on board and there were some in the dressing room who were happy (Candeias probably given his reaction to his goal against Hamilton) but it's looking more like some others didn't get it like Miller, Wallace and possibly Dorrans. I think Pedro made a huge mistake when he first arrived by having the players in 6 days a week for long sessions and making them all cancel their Summer plans by wanting them in earlier than had been agreed with Warburton. I think that really upset a number of them with the likes of Garner and Wallace having wedding plans. He's just come in too full on instead of gradually changing things. I think that was Pedro's downfall and the way Kiernan, Forrester, O'Halloran and others were treated wasn't very nice. Can't have went down well.

We need a manager that is going to come in and have the respect of the players and be a good man manager as well as knowing how to get results on the pitch. We need to get a winning mentality drummed into these players.

Warburton was too stubborn to change his approach on the pitch and couldn't handle being challenged about it. Barton out etc.

Caixinha seemed to be a bit more flexible in his tactical approach but also couldn't handle being challenged. Miller out, Wallace and others being asked to stay away. Trying to send a message which didn't work.

I'd be happy with Preud'homme being given a shot as long as he has the right character for the job and isn't going to be stubborn and unapproachable to the players. Would also like someone with knowledge and experience of the Scottish league to part of the team.
JJ is still there. If anyone can command respect from players it would be a fomer world class goalkeeper in Preud'homme. The guy knows what it's like ti be one of the best in his positon. He'd get the respect from the players In my opinion.

Regarding Pedro, it was more that the players did not believe in him as time went on. I mean people was claiming Niko called Pedro a fraud after the Progres game. Pedro admitted he wouldn't go into the changing room after a match as an act of principle. Things that where strange. I think Miller was punished because if the whole leaking thing. Whether he was behind it I don't know. Pedro seemed convinced and took action. MOH deserved being loaned out because he didn't listen to Pedro, while still picking up his wages. Pedro got things wrong, nobody can deny that. His tactics where questionable, his formations was strange at times, player recruitment at times with Dalcio was strange. Substitutions, failing to adapt in a match when the opposite team was going to take control. And, ultimately the results where getting worse. That's what sealed Pedro's fate. Before Rangers, he had a pretty average record in terms if his wins % etc. Almost like similar to McInness. MPH does not have this issue, his record is the best we've been linked with by far.

It is all fine and well saying the directors are in last chance saloon. Who do you know who will step forward to buy out existing directors if they do fail ?

I hate the Bheasts winning anything never mind 10. I sincerely hope that we get this appointment right and that we have a manger who wins us the title/s.

But let's get real, there are currently no alternatives to our current owners.

We are at this point lucky to have men willing to put up their own hard earned cash.

We are not going to have a Russian Oligarch or Sheik invest billions. We would not even be allowed to have someone like Dermott as if he was our owner his business dealings would make him not a fit and proper person.

Our board took a club over that had been raped and pillaged. They freed us from Spivs and I will be eternally grateful to them.

We cannot compete with English Championship sides in terms of wages or fees.

The board have tried a different approach to try and make us competitive and sadly on both occasions it has failed. We lost valuable time under Ally where we could have played our youths and developed a team of youngsters and not wasted those years signing washed up players like Boyd.

We have it appears sadly wasted money on Pena, but it is hardly the money we wasted on Flo.

The sad fact is we have played a high risk game buying players such as Pena who were an expensive option if they failed but a master stroke if they were a success. Pena was the Poundland Guillit but at over £2m. Sadly you mostly get what you pay for and as much as I dream of us buying Messi, it ain't happening and we are now raking round looking for a bargain.

The problem for the board is that they needed to put in place a long term infrastructure that is sustainable, hence the scouting announcement and our youths playing best in England and Europe.

We have to make £2 work at producing same results that £10 can do across city. No longer can we say we will spend £10 for every £5.

Easy on here to say deliver or else. Or else what ? The board has to resign and then what?

Only good news is that the bheasts believe the mhedia and think they are world beaters. The gap is not as big as they want us to believe.

Here is hoping for an inspired appointment.

It is all fine and well saying the directors are in last chance saloon. Who do you know who will step forward to buy out existing directors if they do fail ?

I hate the Bheasts winning anything never mind 10. I sincerely hope that we get this appointment right and that we have a manger who wins us the title/s.

But let's get real, there are currently no alternatives to our current owners.

We are at this point lucky to have men willing to put up their own hard earned cash.

We are not going to have a Russian Oligarch or Sheik invest billions. We would not even be allowed to have someone like Dermott as if he was our owner his business dealings would make him not a fit and proper person.

Our board took a club over that had been raped and pillaged. They freed us from Spivs and I will be eternally grateful to them.

We cannot compete with English Championship sides in terms of wages or fees.

The board have tried a different approach to try and make us competitive and sadly on both occasions it has failed. We lost valuable time under Ally where we could have played our youths and developed a team of youngsters and not wasted those years signing washed up players like Boyd.

We have it appears sadly wasted money on Pena, but it is hardly the money we wasted on Flo.

The sad fact is we have played a high risk game buying players such as Pena who were an expensive option if they failed but a master stroke if they were a success. Pena was the Poundland Guillit but at over £2m. Sadly you mostly get what you pay for and as much as I dream of us buying Messi, it ain't happening and we are now raking round looking for a bargain.

The problem for the board is that they needed to put in place a long term infrastructure that is sustainable, hence the scouting announcement and our youths playing best in England and Europe.

We have to make £2 work at producing same results that £10 can do across city. No longer can we say we will spend £10 for every £5.

Easy on here to say deliver or else. Or else what ? The board has to resign and then what?

Only good news is that the bheasts believe the mhedia and think they are world beaters. The gap is not as big as they want us to believe.

Here is hoping for an inspired appointment.

If Celtic get to 10 in a row and the board are continually making a fist of managerial appointments there's no doubt the support would turn on them big style .

The parallels with us and 1990s Celtic are all too obvious .

If the board are determined to go British with a firm Scottish football knowledge and are turning down foreign managers then they deserve all they get should it go tits up once again.

Depends on your definition of “safe”.

I’d consider a candidate who has turned clubs around, won leagues and cups with underdogs in similar standard leagues, had success in the same Euro competition, has worked as and under a DoF, won 6 manager of the year awards, and is keen to come as a much “safer” option.

But maybe I’m fucking nuts and it’s all about upbringing.

I lean toward appointing McInnes and I think he should have the job rather than Pedro. They should have McInnes appointed by now imo. They haven't appointed him and seem to be doing interviews. That's all well and good however having taken that route it seems ludicrous to not interview MPH because he's foreign.

If you're going to interview, speak to all of the the best candidates.

Last edited:
If Celtic get to 10 in a row and the board are continually making a fist of managerial appointments there's no doubt the support would turn on them big style .

The parallels with us and 1990s Celtic are all too obvious .

If the board are determined to go British with a firm Scottish football knowledge and are turning down foreign managers then they deserve all they get should it go tits up once again.
If the board go British and we knock back MPH we will not stop 10 in a row. Unless we have someone equally as good as MPH linee up that we don't know about. And if we don't stop 10 in a row and the tims keep getting CL money, they'll surpass 54 and dominate us for years and years till they have an off season ans we somehow claw the title back.

Is RFCLegend the infamous Mr Grumpy from earlier in this thread I ask myself? Mr Grumpy goes 'all in' on MPH and gets banned and, lo and behold, RFCLegend appears 'touting' MPH just as strongly.

If you are one and the same, congratulations on improving your manners. if you're not - then I apologise RFCLegend.:)

Oh, and I agree, MPH has an impressive record.

Outstanding candidate.

Had no idea just how good his record was until I checked into it.

Has done fantastic with some mediocre sides.

A no brainer in my book, but after Pedro it seems the board are unwilling to take what they see as another risk.

Not that I see it as a risk really but I guess who ever comes in should have our full support.

That proves absolutely nothing. I can write aliens have invaded Earth, sky sports understands. It means nothing. They're in the dark also, just reporting thinga to make you click it since its a big story.

Ah but you'd be telling the truth...

xgfpkk.png[

The fans won't forgive the board if they fail a third time. Questions will be asked and rightfully so. They'd be out the club if get this wrong. The fans will demand it.

Absolutely. They just have to get it right.

If McInnes comes and fails everyone on here will be slaughtering the board for not going for a manager with the CV of MPH.

If they go for MPH and get it wrong then they will be slaughtered for not going for McInnes.

Personally I think dismissing someone out of hand because of the language on their passport is absolute madness. I also think giving McInnes the job over MPH borders on insanity.

I get you don't trust lads on FF or the media. But end of the day, we'll end up with a British manager. The club can't afford to make another mess of things.

Heart and Hand Podcast summed it up well. They'd board would not get away with messing up appointing a foreign manager and not making inroads, lesser risk homegrown, even if again there's a slight failure.

Club will play it safe.

This "play it safe with a British manager" stuff is LUDICROUS. Why do we keep referring to British options as a "safe bet"?
What makes anyone think that a British manager will perform any better and be less sackable in a short timeframe than anyone else?

Lunacy!!!

This is not the time for someone who does not know our game as we can't afford another Pedro . We need a Scottish /British manager to steady the ship and take us to the next level...No more experiments!

Last edited:
This is not the time for someone who does not know our game as we can't afford another Pedro . We need a Scottish /British manager to steady the ship and take us to the next level...No more experiments!
And who do you think Scottish-British in the names thats been branded can take us to another level ?none i can see imo

Absolutely. They just have to get it right.

If McInnes comes and fails everyone on here will be slaughtering the board for not going for a manager with the CV of MPH.

If they go for MPH and get it wrong then they will be slaughtered for not going for McInnes.

Personally I think dismissing someone out of hand because of the language on their passport is absolute madness. I also think giving McInnes the job over MPH borders on insanity.
Agreed mate. They have to get this right. The board shouldn't be naive and get us the man who has the better qualities and redord to back it up. There is Only one man who has a record of it.

The level of ambition by some of our fans has dwiddled badly. Seriously, imagine bears accepting Derek McInnes in our glory days, expecting him to take us back to champions.

Oh FFS. You said "I can write aliens have invaded Earth". As a joke I said you'd be telling the truth using a Mhank as an example.
Sense of humour bypass for you it seems.

By "our game" do you mean emmm football? They play it loads of places mate - most to a better standard than we see in this country

Caxinha failed because he is an awful manager Scottish football didn't out do him

He plays the best football the world has ever known according to the Scottish media, I tend to avoid watching them but from what I’ve seen it’s hardly revolutionary.

This.
Very good going forward from what I hear (as I generally only watch goals against them), but largely untested defensively - unless you're Kilmarnock and you score against them with as simple a 1-2 as you're ever likely to see.

Back