Middleton Languishing in the Hibs Reserves

ClockworkOrange

Hibs was actually a good fit for him. That it's not worked out for him there suggests he's simply not good enough.

I also fail to see what would have been wrong in Hibs benefiting from one of our players - after all, he played in their draw with Celtic.

Square and compass

He is 19 and chose top flight football over playing lower league or reserve teams in Holland. I think Hibs was the braver choice as it carried signifcantly more pressure - it's just turned into a bad loan due to Hibs being an absolute riot.

Not to mention he moved to us from Norwich when he could easily have went to another English club.
I get your point,i like him but i know a few that think he is not rangers class.
I am only going as on what SG said that he should have went to holland.
Diferent type of football/ training/ lifestyle etc, so he would have learned far more there

Reactions: GF7

Est1872

He was bold enough to make the decision for himself against his gaffer's advice.

Got it wrong big time though. Made things harder for himself.

GF7

He was bold enough to make the decision for himself against his gaffer's advice.

Got it wrong big time though. Made things harder for himself.
Heckingbottom was hopeless to be fair. Hopefully he can make an impression on Jack Ross and get back in the side

dh1963

I thought he had promise, he was quick, direct and had an eye for goal. But very raw and inconsistent.

This hasn't worked out, but a different loan in January to a better club and he could still get the regular football he needs.

He might not make it with us, but he's only 19 and has time to develop and still have a good career.

The Harbour Master

He’s not good enough. He reminds me of Gregg Wylde, maybe just a little better, but ultimately no where near good enough.
There are a lot of similarities. Both had an initial positive impact when they were an unknown quantity however they are one trick ponies to an extent relying on pace and once you can nullify that threat there’s not a lot left. Middleton is still young and could develop but I doubt he will come close to making it with us.

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
Horrible thread this and disappointed with the views of most.
This kid was bursting a gut to be in the team last season and was constantly showing up well from the bench.
He earned his place in the team and got a wee run. Did well initially and then tailed off.
In the games he did play he showed enough to suggest he has something to offer moving forward.
I’m disappointed he was shipped out on loan, and would go as far as to say I’d rather bump Ojo back to Liverpool and bring him back.
He’s one of our own and has shown promise.
He really shouldn’t be written off yet anyway.

PortoyMortoy

He won't play any significant part for us going forward in my opinion. We've moved up a level.
We signed Brandon Barker just a few months ago so i'll disagree. Loans can be extremely hit or miss and judging a player on one when loan players are regularly the ones shafted when a team is performing poorly is harsh

DougieJones

At his best Middleton’s direct style wasn’t dissimilar to Kent’s - a few more years development and who knows? I still think he’ll come good but looking doubtful it’ll be with us.

Amstel

Middleton is Avery good player and can definitely get into the Rangers team next season. A loan deal hasn’t worked out at a rancid club he shouldn’t have went too. Means %^*& all. He’s a good player and can definitely make it at Rangers

Northampton Lodger

Saddens me personally to read this thread. The boy played in the same league as my son in the same villages in Northampton. Grew up Rangers daft because of his dad same as my boy. Have seen some of his tweets when he was a kid saying he was on his way up with his dad to watch a game and couldn’t wait to get to Ibrox.

A few years later he lives the dream and gets a chance , thrown in at 17/18 and lets no one down. Why do people feel the need to have a go saying he isn’t good enough. He is still just a teenager for ffs.

Laudrups Barnet

A very underwhelming loan in all honesty.

I remember Gerrard disagreeing with his decision to join Hibs, he preferred that he went to the Netherlands on loan.

It looks like he should have listened to Gerrard.

He had the chance to go to NAC Breda who are challenging for promotion in the Netherland’s 2nd Division. But he’s stuck in the Hibs reserves.

Where does this leave Middleton at us?
Middleton or Ojo...

Get him back and refuse to give those pricks any more of our players. He was a star in the early part of last season this fucking circus hibs have engineered has wasted a crucial year of his career and contract.

Hope he gets a good loan spell at a club that appreciates talent and makes his back into our squad.

Square and compass

Can you link us to where Gerrard said he should have gone to Holland?

You won't be able to, because he didn't.
I remember an interview, maybe he didnt come right out with it, but definately didnt look pleased and commented something.
Whatever he did or didnt he has made a mistake plus why as for our club, i would give most teams in Scotland nothing.
Maybe a Dundee or Ross County would have been better for game time.
Ultimately , if gerrard keeps progressing us, new investment, champions league money, then i doubt middleton will be here.
Our level of quality we have has trebled this past 3 years or so.

Laudrup's Right Foot

You don’t think Hibs’ travails, and the toxic atmosphere in the stands as they stumbled to defeat after defeat makes it infinitely tougher for a young, inexperienced loanee to succeed?

Okay then!!
If that puts him off then he’ll never make it with us given our home crowd even when we’re winning

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
I’d be stunned if he has any future with us. Even early doors he seemed to be sussed and wasn’t showing much more than being a kick and run speed merchant.

Est1872

I don't think anyone is being overly harsh on him.

Not being able to get a game for Hibs, and playing for their reserves does not point towards him lighting it up for us in the near future.

Likewise, it doesn't mean he won't one day. I'd say the odds are well against him, however.

Look at Docherty for example and all he achieved, and it still wasn't enough.

rinosprayer

Also, this thread is the perfect example of why our fans are absolutely awful for a young player.

The kid is what, 19 years old? Already written off.
Mental.

How many league games had Ojo or aribo played aged 19?

Less Glenn Middleton that’s for sure.

Est1872

Mental.

How many league games had Ojo or aribo played aged 19?

Less Glenn Middleton that’s for sure.
How many players have we loaned to a lesser SPFL club, where they have failed, only to return and rip it up for us?

No-one is willing him to fail. Merely stating the odds.

Blue Tack

Looks like it hasn’t worked out however for every “failure” out there I offer John fleck as Exhibit A for turning failure to success through hard work and perseverance .

rinosprayer

How many players have we loaned to a lesser SPFL club, where they have failed, only to return and rip it up for us?

No-one is willing him to fail. Merely stating the odds.

That’s true but how many players have we loaned anywhere who returned and did us a turn? I can think of 2 maybe.

Granted the odds are against him but I think it’s not so long since he looked a league above the level he was playing at to drop him so quickly. We really have to value our investments higher.

Pentasa

FF home of the most negative supporters on the Internet, As soon as someone posts a thread about a player the usual suspects pile in moaning and groaning if the player isn't the 2nd coming of Maradona in their first few games

And then proceed to prove they are right by mentioning another player they moaned about

wilso10

He is still a good prospect whether the lynch mob think so or not.

Whether he makes it here remains to be seen but he may.
He won't, and I think it's OK to say that despite his age.

Just an opinion of course but I just can't see him improving enough in the next 2-3 years, when really it'll be make or break with us, to have a longer term future.

Athletico Parsnips

FF home of the most negative supporters on the Internet, As soon as someone posts a thread about a player the usual suspects pile in moaning and groaning if the player isn't the 2nd coming of Maradona in their first few games

And then proceed to prove they are right by mentioning another player they moaned about
I work with a guy who is so negative. Beat Hearts 5-0 and all he spoke about was their keeper.
When I see him after any good result, he starts his sentence "aye but I still don't like.........."
Energy sapping bastard.