Middleton Languishing in the Hibs Reserves

A very underwhelming loan in all honesty.

I remember Gerrard disagreeing with his decision to join Hibs, he preferred that he went to the Netherlands on loan.

It looks like he should have listened to Gerrard.

He had the chance to go to NAC Breda who are challenging for promotion in the Netherland’s 2nd Division. But he’s stuck in the Hibs reserves.

Where does this leave Middleton at us?
I can't tell you where Middleton will end up, but Kamara "languished in Dundees reserves" long enough.

Jesus what a thread

He’s a year older than Dapo Mebude

He’s played up front himself in a Europa League game and just about scored a winner with 10 men.

Hes scored in Moscow

If he was a mentally challenged he would have his own tshirt and daily updates on his progress in the super-soaraway-sun

Was reading just about every post shaking my head until I read yours

I think Middleton has a chance to make it
I’ve actually liked what I’ve seen when he’s played
An when he plays games against people he’s a stick out
That must be a good sign surely

I heard he walked out on Hibs the weekend of the League Cup semi. Also Heckingbottom didnt seem to like young players as he did the same with Oli Shaw. he is more likely to get a chance with Jack Ross if he is applying himself.
Heckingbottom was an arrogant c unt but any player who walks out in the huff is a marked man. Middleton should apply himself over the next 4 weeks and possibly Ross will resurrect this loan.

Also, this thread is the perfect example of why our fans are absolutely awful for a young player.

The kid is what, 19 years old? Already written off.

Lad came in at 18 (18!) and looked great. He then lost confidence and struggled a bit. Overall, he had a very impressive first season, even scoring in Europe.

Yet a poor few months on loan and that's him written off.

Some posters on here are a joke.

He didn't publicly state he was against the Hibs move but he did publicly state he thought going to Holland would be a good move so reading between the lines, I would agree it points to Gerrard preferring the Dutch move

Preferring one thing and being against another are two different things.

I would prefer a meat fest to a pepperoni pizza but I am not against having a pepperoni.

A very underwhelming loan in all honesty.

I remember Gerrard disagreeing with his decision to join Hibs, he preferred that he went to the Netherlands on loan.

It looks like he should have listened to Gerrard.

He had the chance to go to NAC Breda who are challenging for promotion in the Netherland’s 2nd Division. But he’s stuck in the Hibs reserves.

Where does this leave Middleton at us?

Would he even get a game for NAC? surely they are better than Hiv's?

Middleton took the easy choice, not staying away from home etc/ pals.
Hastie, docherty and mcrorie took the harder road. Thats a black mark against him imo.
Not finished at Rangers, but going to be very hard for him to come back into the plans.

Maybe not a black mark but certainly a 'self inflicted' step backwards in his career !

Also, this thread is the perfect example of why our fans are absolutely awful for a young player.

The kid is what, 19 years old? Already written off.
Exactly. He's scored in the premiership, scored in Europe, is a stick out for Scotland. Give the boy a chance..

I would always question the criteria of "good enough" before knowing he isn't of that standard.

It often seems the criteria of good enough is that of Brian Laudrup when in reality a fucken truck load of players have played for us who ain't of that standard.

I liked what I saw of young Middleton when he was given outings last season.
Sure there was a lot of rawness in his game, but there was also a lot of potential and he had certain elements in his game that stood out, such as pace, finishing, determination and the ability to cross a ball.
This season I have only seen him playing for the Scottish under 21 team, where when he has been given a game, he has managed to be impressive.
More impressive indeed than players who have started ahead of him, which I found perplexing.

I won't be writing him off, however, I was also disappointed he didn't take the opportunity to go to Holland.
He certainly needs to get out from Hibs and find a loan to a more adventurous footballing side.

The people writing off a 19 year old kid need their head examined. Middleton might not make it, but to write him off this quickly, truly shows why we probably won't see many youngsters in the first team for a long time. A few bad games and people on here will be wanting them released. Truthfully I'd rather be giving Middleton or Hastie a shot than Ojo.

Hastie, docherty and mcrorie took the harder road. Thats a black mark against him imo.
Not finished at Rangers, but going to be very hard for him to come back into the plans.
That would make sense, but home is Northampton for him, not Glasgow.

Firstly we should never loan players to hibs or assist them in any way .
Secondly , why did Middleton not listen to Gerrard ? Madness on Middletons part

We shouldn’t be doing business with them and he shouldn’t have asked to go there, mental from him. Absolute waste of time so far and can’t believe he knocked back spell on Holland for it.

Would add though if he doesn’t get game time now Jack Ross is there then it’s two different managers there who aren’t picking him, so he’s obviously not impressing them in training.

Lad came in at 18 (18!) and looked great. He then lost confidence and struggled a bit. Overall, he had a very impressive first season, even scoring in Europe.

Yet a poor few months on loan and that's him written off.

Some posters on here are a joke.
In what games did he look great last season?

Whilst I question his decision to go there, I’m in no way writing him off at us.

Think the club should maybe have a look through this thread and appoint some posters to football department in some capacity, clearly they can make expert, snap judgements on a players whole career based on what they’ve seen at 18 years old.

I liked what I saw of young Middleton when he was given outings last season.
Sure there was a lot of rawness in his game, but there was also a lot of potential and he had certain elements in his game that stood out, such as pace, finishing, determination and the ability to cross a ball.
This season I have only seen him playing for the Scottish under 21 team, where when he has been given a game, he has managed to be impressive.
More impressive indeed than players who have started ahead of him, which I found perplexing.

I won't be writing him off, however, I was also disappointed he didn't take the opportunity to go to Holland.
He certainly needs to get out from Hibs and find a loan to a more adventurous footballing side.

In the games I have seen he has probably been Scotland u21s best player. Direct, skilful and a constant threat. I wonder how he would fair on the right over the left, might be worth trying to training to play on the right and adapt his game.

The case of Middleton is an object lesson in reality for young aspiring footballers at Rangers - and other big clubs - who are expected to win things and compete for league titles. Young players like Middleton, who show up well in at the youth level, must, when given an opportunity in their club's first XI, be able to seize the moment and show through consistency of performance that they belong. This is a really tough thing to do, the pressure to deliver, not to let the side down is intense, that is why so few players succeed in making the transition from youth academy to the top flight.

Ideally, a club like Rangers would produce a few star quality players from their academy system, who will then be sold on for substantial profits, thus opening up opportunities for a new crop of high achievers from the youth academy.

I've seen enough of him to believe he can offer us something.

In a few years I expect him to be better than Jordan Jones.

Stupid decision to go there though.

Jesus what a thread

He’s a year older than Dapo Mebude

He’s played up front himself in a Europa League game and just about scored a winner with 10 men.

Hes scored in Moscow

If he was a mentally challenged he would have his own tshirt and daily updates on his progress in the super-soaraway-sun
And yet he can’t get a game for hibs

You’re making out that he was a regular top former in Europe for us

I’m basing my judgement on what I seen of him playing for us in general. A goal in Moscow doesn’t remove the countless woeful games he had for us.

It was a reason as to why he was put out on loan.

All about opinions. I don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for us, I don’t think he’d get a game for most SPL teams either. That he barely features for Hibs kind of backs that up given how they’ve struggled this season.

If you think he’ll become a top player for us, magic. Crack on

You don’t think Hibs’ travails, and the toxic atmosphere in the stands as they stumbled to defeat after defeat makes it infinitely tougher for a young, inexperienced loanee to succeed?

Okay then!!

He’s still young enough to turn it round. See Kent, R. for evidence of disappointing loan spells not being career ending.

However, I worry he’s the sort of guy that coaching and experience makes worse because it robs him of what makes him a rare talent - his directness. So few wingers nowadays are head down, past full back, cross from by-line. Consequently it scares the shit out of defenders who are used to showing guys into crowds.

His first few games last season his pace terrified teams. Then we started preaching shape and tracking back etc.and his season went backward.

Guys like him can excel as throwbacks- even if he only plays 30% of games he can do some real damage as a one trick pony. In my opinion, turning him into just another wide midfielder isn’t doing him any favours.

He won't play any significant part for us going forward in my opinion. We've moved up a level.
Have to agree. Its a shame because he looked like a great talent. Hopefully he starts getting games and proves us wrong.

He is 19 and chose top flight football over playing lower league or reserve teams in Holland. I think Hibs was the braver choice as it carried signifcantly more pressure - it's just turned into a bad loan due to Hibs being an absolute riot.

Not to mention he moved to us from Norwich when he could easily have went to another English club.

Hibs was actually a good fit for him. That it's not worked out for him there suggests he's simply not good enough.

I also fail to see what would have been wrong in Hibs benefiting from one of our players - after all, he played in their draw with Celtic.

He is 19 and chose top flight football over playing lower league or reserve teams in Holland. I think Hibs was the braver choice as it carried signifcantly more pressure - it's just turned into a bad loan due to Hibs being an absolute riot.

Not to mention he moved to us from Norwich when he could easily have went to another English club.
I get your point,i like him but i know a few that think he is not rangers class.
I am only going as on what SG said that he should have went to holland.
Diferent type of football/ training/ lifestyle etc, so he would have learned far more there

Reactions: GF7
He was bold enough to make the decision for himself against his gaffer's advice.

Got it wrong big time though. Made things harder for himself.

He was bold enough to make the decision for himself against his gaffer's advice.

Got it wrong big time though. Made things harder for himself.
Heckingbottom was hopeless to be fair. Hopefully he can make an impression on Jack Ross and get back in the side

I thought he had promise, he was quick, direct and had an eye for goal. But very raw and inconsistent.

This hasn't worked out, but a different loan in January to a better club and he could still get the regular football he needs.

He might not make it with us, but he's only 19 and has time to develop and still have a good career.

I get your point,i like him but i know a few that think he is not rangers class.
I am only going as on what SG said that he should have went to holland.
Diferent type of football/ training/ lifestyle etc, so he would have learned far more there

Can you link us to where Gerrard said he should have gone to Holland?

You won't be able to, because he didn't.

He’s not good enough. He reminds me of Gregg Wylde, maybe just a little better, but ultimately no where near good enough.

There are a lot of similarities. Both had an initial positive impact when they were an unknown quantity however they are one trick ponies to an extent relying on pace and once you can nullify that threat there’s not a lot left. Middleton is still young and could develop but I doubt he will come close to making it with us.

Horrible thread this and disappointed with the views of most.
This kid was bursting a gut to be in the team last season and was constantly showing up well from the bench.
He earned his place in the team and got a wee run. Did well initially and then tailed off.
In the games he did play he showed enough to suggest he has something to offer moving forward.
I’m disappointed he was shipped out on loan, and would go as far as to say I’d rather bump Ojo back to Liverpool and bring him back.
He’s one of our own and has shown promise.
He really shouldn’t be written off yet anyway.

He won't play any significant part for us going forward in my opinion. We've moved up a level.
We signed Brandon Barker just a few months ago so i'll disagree. Loans can be extremely hit or miss and judging a player on one when loan players are regularly the ones shafted when a team is performing poorly is harsh

At his best Middleton’s direct style wasn’t dissimilar to Kent’s - a few more years development and who knows? I still think he’ll come good but looking doubtful it’ll be with us.

Middleton is Avery good player and can definitely get into the Rangers team next season. A loan deal hasn’t worked out at a rancid club he shouldn’t have went too. Means %^*& all. He’s a good player and can definitely make it at Rangers

Saddens me personally to read this thread. The boy played in the same league as my son in the same villages in Northampton. Grew up Rangers daft because of his dad same as my boy. Have seen some of his tweets when he was a kid saying he was on his way up with his dad to watch a game and couldn’t wait to get to Ibrox.

A few years later he lives the dream and gets a chance , thrown in at 17/18 and lets no one down. Why do people feel the need to have a go saying he isn’t good enough. He is still just a teenager for ffs.

Back