Middleton Languishing in the Hibs Reserves

A very underwhelming loan in all honesty.

I remember Gerrard disagreeing with his decision to join Hibs, he preferred that he went to the Netherlands on loan.

It looks like he should have listened to Gerrard.

He had the chance to go to NAC Breda who are challenging for promotion in the Netherland’s 2nd Division. But he’s stuck in the Hibs reserves.

Where does this leave Middleton at us?

Middleton or Ojo...

Get him back and refuse to give those pricks any more of our players. He was a star in the early part of last season this fucking circus hibs have engineered has wasted a crucial year of his career and contract.

Hope he gets a good loan spell at a club that appreciates talent and makes his back into our squad.

Can you link us to where Gerrard said he should have gone to Holland?

You won't be able to, because he didn't.
I remember an interview, maybe he didnt come right out with it, but definately didnt look pleased and commented something.
Whatever he did or didnt he has made a mistake plus why as for our club, i would give most teams in Scotland nothing.
Maybe a Dundee or Ross County would have been better for game time.
Ultimately , if gerrard keeps progressing us, new investment, champions league money, then i doubt middleton will be here.
Our level of quality we have has trebled this past 3 years or so.

You don’t think Hibs’ travails, and the toxic atmosphere in the stands as they stumbled to defeat after defeat makes it infinitely tougher for a young, inexperienced loanee to succeed?

Okay then!!

If that puts him off then he’ll never make it with us given our home crowd even when we’re winning

I’d be stunned if he has any future with us. Even early doors he seemed to be sussed and wasn’t showing much more than being a kick and run speed merchant.

I don't think anyone is being overly harsh on him.

Not being able to get a game for Hibs, and playing for their reserves does not point towards him lighting it up for us in the near future.

Likewise, it doesn't mean he won't one day. I'd say the odds are well against him, however.

Look at Docherty for example and all he achieved, and it still wasn't enough.

Also, this thread is the perfect example of why our fans are absolutely awful for a young player.

The kid is what, 19 years old? Already written off.

Mental.

How many league games had Ojo or aribo played aged 19?

Less Glenn Middleton that’s for sure.

Mental.

How many league games had Ojo or aribo played aged 19?

Less Glenn Middleton that’s for sure.

How many players have we loaned to a lesser SPFL club, where they have failed, only to return and rip it up for us?

No-one is willing him to fail. Merely stating the odds.

Looks like it hasn’t worked out however for every “failure” out there I offer John fleck as Exhibit A for turning failure to success through hard work and perseverance .

How many players have we loaned to a lesser SPFL club, where they have failed, only to return and rip it up for us?

No-one is willing him to fail. Merely stating the odds.

That’s true but how many players have we loaned anywhere who returned and did us a turn? I can think of 2 maybe.

Granted the odds are against him but I think it’s not so long since he looked a league above the level he was playing at to drop him so quickly. We really have to value our investments higher.

FF home of the most negative supporters on the Internet, As soon as someone posts a thread about a player the usual suspects pile in moaning and groaning if the player isn't the 2nd coming of Maradona in their first few games

And then proceed to prove they are right by mentioning another player they moaned about

He is still a good prospect whether the lynch mob think so or not.

Whether he makes it here remains to be seen but he may.

He won't, and I think it's OK to say that despite his age.

Just an opinion of course but I just can't see him improving enough in the next 2-3 years, when really it'll be make or break with us, to have a longer term future.

FF home of the most negative supporters on the Internet, As soon as someone posts a thread about a player the usual suspects pile in moaning and groaning if the player isn't the 2nd coming of Maradona in their first few games

And then proceed to prove they are right by mentioning another player they moaned about
I work with a guy who is so negative. Beat Hearts 5-0 and all he spoke about was their keeper.
When I see him after any good result, he starts his sentence "aye but I still don't like.........."
Energy sapping bastard.

What happened to all the chat he was coming back awhile ago? perhaps another loan jan

doubt he will ever cut it to be honest

Saddens me personally to read this thread. The boy played in the same league as my son in the same villages in Northampton. Grew up Rangers daft because of his dad same as my boy. Have seen some of his tweets when he was a kid saying he was on his way up with his dad to watch a game and couldn’t wait to get to Ibrox.

A few years later he lives the dream and gets a chance , thrown in at 17/18 and lets no one down. Why do people feel the need to have a go saying he isn’t good enough. He is still just a teenager for ffs.

The only thing to be sad about is the ill informed dross on this thread. Glenn is one of us. EVERY player has their journey, his current experience is just part of that.

Let’s hope he’s read each and every one of the timmy apologist comments on this thread an comes back to ram it down every one of your plastic expert throats.

Fickle would be a softer description.
I’ll just call it straight up stupid. Who was the last player in world football to have truly linear progress as a prospect?

We set these guys up to meet a standard that they can never possibly meet, and then we berate them when they fail. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy and it’s fucking stupid.

It's hardly a surprise that a 19 year-old on loan winger has struggled to make an impact in a rank rotten Hibs team with a bawbag as a manager!
Maybe he'll get a chance to play in a new system under Jack Ross or maybe he will have to move to another club in January.
He's shown more than enough to be given extra time to develop regardless.

Think it's a personality thing.

I'd jump at the chance to play abroad and soak it all in. Some folk just can't leave home.

The other side of it is he could be getting more game time in the league the team he wants to play for plays in.

Hibs reserves however is the worst of both.

Looks like he's went backwards if he can't get a game for them. We have an abundance of wingers ahead of him. A player I had high hopes for. May still do it. Moving to them was a silly decision.

I'm 50/50 on him.

But why did we loan him to those (unts other than he could damage the bigger (unts?
With Kent here now...I think it's not gonna happen for him here,

Think it's a personality thing.

I'd jump at the chance to play abroad and soak it all in. Some folk just can't leave home.

The other side of it is he could be getting more game time in the league the team he wants to play for plays in.

Hibs reserves however is the worst of both.
His two options were the 2nd tier of dutch football or play for a club in the Scottish Premiership with goals to finish in one of the European spots. If he turned down a chance to play in the Eredivisie it's one thing and i would be a little annoyed at him turning it down but that wasn't a option. Im more annoyed at Hastie turning down the chance to play for Zurich to go play in League 1

Completed wasted opportunity, I'd take him back as soon as possible and see if we can get him out on another loan with a club willing to play him. He is only 19 and looks like he has a bit of potential about him, definitely wouldn't let him go.

The minute he chose Hibs over the managers wishes, he lost his Rangers career.
By god it’s annoying reading this over and over on this thread.

You realise that for him to go to Hibs, the manager had to accept the loan offer, yeah? Middleton didn’t just rock up there because he fancied it.

If Gerrard didn’t want him there, he wouldn’t be there.

By god it’s annoying reading this over and over on this thread.

You realise that for him to go to Hibs, the manager had to accept the loan offer, yeah? Middleton didn’t just rock up there because he fancied it.

If Gerrard didn’t want him there, he wouldn’t be there.

So Gerrard was lying when he said he'd rather have went to the Netherlands?

I don't doubt that ultimately he agreed to it, he obviously did. But he can agree to a deal while trying to advise a player to take another option. That will happen with nearly every move a player makes, especially when a young player is involved. The manager will always have a preferred option for a player and in this case it was clear that Hibs wasn't his first option.

What would Gerrard achieve from forcing Middleton to go to Holland when he doesn't want to?

So Gerrard was lying when he said he'd rather have went to the Netherlands?

I don't doubt that ultimately he agreed to it, he obviously did. But he can agree to a deal while trying to advise a player to take another option. That will happen with nearly every move a player makes, especially when a young player is involved. The manager will always have a preferred option for a player and in this case it was clear that Hibs wasn't his first option.

What would Gerrard achieve from forcing Middleton to go to Holland when he doesn't want to?
Speaking ahead of Sunday's showdown with Paul Heckingbottom's team, Gerrard said: "Glenn has decided he wants to go to Hibs on loan so that will happen after the weekend.

"He will go get some experience and play some regular football. He was really close to going to Holland. Super close.

"But last minute Hibs have shown some interest that he has looked into himself and decided he wants to go pursue that. It was his decision."

Show me where Gerrard says that.

Been a disastrous decision for the boy going there, would have been better in Holland or England.

he was in limbo, too good for the reserves but not quite ready for the first team. We need to get him back and repair the damage this loan has done as he is a very good player.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's showdown with Paul Heckingbottom's team, Gerrard said: "Glenn has decided he wants to go to Hibs on loan so that will happen after the weekend.

"He will go get some experience and play some regular football. He was really close to going to Holland. Super close.

"But last minute Hibs have shown some interest that he has looked into himself and decided he wants to go pursue that. It was his decision."

Show me where Gerrard says that.

Gerrard on Middleton to NAC Breda:

""Fair play to him going for such a challenge. That will be good for his development, playing for a team challenging in front of passionate fans.""

Gerrard on Middleton to Hibs:

"But last minute Hibs have shown some interest that he has looked into himself and decided he wants to go pursue that. It was his decision.""

What do you think looks more positive? It's quite clear that NAC Breda excited Gerrard more than him going to Hibs.

All those saying he isn’t good enough need to remember he is still young and the purpose of a loan move is to go and play regularly and improve.

He has shown signs of being a top quality player with his directness, ability to beat a man and he can score from distance as well.

Shame it hasn’t worked out at Hibs but hopefully he can get another loan move in January and get a run of games.

If he cannot force himself into a Hibs 11, he's not a good enough player to make our 18-21 man squad.

Simple as that.

Sink or swim.

Middleton needed taking out of the spotlight after the first season, as he didnt have the all round game to keep a place in the Rangers first team. His problem wasnt that he was a shit winger, more so he had only attacking threat (watch kent defensively, hes positionally excellent and a lot of times we nick the ball on the press, he is heavily involved).
He went as an attacking option in a hibs team that is struggling badly. If your jobs under pressure, then i dont blame heckingbottom dropping him for someone whose all round game was more developed. They took him on loan thinking that the overall squad was good enough that his defensive frailties could be develoed while they concentrated on how good he was attacking, but they are scrapping a the wrong end.
I think its more a case of wrong club. I dont write off the player. You could point to plenty boys that made bad choices for loans and spent seasons warming the bench, next move is a key one. More than likely if Ross doesnt fancy him, he comes back in January, gets the confidence back up in the reserves (where he was a standout last season) and goes again. Boys only 19, already has first team experience with us.

This thread is exactly the reason why I said we, as a support, do not provide the right environment for youngsters to really make the breakthrough.

Please remember that Ryan Kent did not set the heather alight in previous loans.

Let's not write Middleton off just yet FFS!

I wish we had installed penalties in this loan for lack of games. These clubs who generally have a hatred for us can further f*** us over by damaging our youth with no repercussion. Makes no sense.

I think this is another sign that we're back to where we should be - no more agonising over bringing guys back from loan because the 11 aren't doing the business.
We also seem to have a settled starting 11 as well, bar one or two positions.
Happy days.

He's 19, this is the whole point of loans, a learning experience.

Harry Kane made 13 appearances for a Championship club at 19, mainly off the bench. 2 years later he was EPL top scorer and young player of the year.

Just because Middleton has made his debut early doesn't mean he doesnt have planty of time to make the grade.

Look at Barjonas, made his debut at 18, fell out of the first team squad, had a couple of pretty poor loan spells and is now getting rave reviews from the manager.

Anyone writing him off right now is an utter moron.

A lot of people having a go at his decision to go to Hibs who are playing in the SPFL against going to the 2nd tier in Dutch football is mental.

He could stay here, have an impact at Hibs and become a starter for them who wouldn't be able to play against us but could damage teams we are competing against.

He is a young boy and needs nurtured, we have seen many times before that people develop at different rates, a player could be a bang average player at 23 and when 24 hits develops in to a cracking player. Gerrard had faith in Middleton last year and the wee yin was pivotal in Europe for us.

Maybe instead of discarding players as pish when they hit a bad patch we could stick by them and help them through the bad patch?

I would say he has made a James Blunt of his career. Typical Scottish mentality of wanting to stay at home.

Compare to Morelos leaving Columbia for Finland as a teenager.

Until our young players get out and experience different cultures they will never get better

Back