Middleton

If he's not going to be playing every week for Hibs then we should request he comes back to Rangers. He'll pick up more in the reserves and mingling with our first team than he will playing a bit part with Hibs. I also think he'll easily be one of the best players at Hibs so I would question the reason for leaving him out - perhaps his heart just isn't in playing with them or having a bunch of wanks as a support watching on either.

The one thing that struck me about Hibs when we played them was just how bad their defence is.

Their only option is to go for broke in every game and hope they score more than they concede.

On that basis alone Middleton should be getting a start every week.

It’s one of the arguments I always make when folk say to loan players to other SPFL clubs. For one thing the player, from the off, is up against it from the fans. If results aren’t going their way then the fans put pressure on the Manager to drop the loanee. If the Manager is under pressure he feels the need to appease the fans. Vicious circle.

Send them South, out of the spotlight. At least then we know they are being judged solely on their abilities,

Last edited:
Personally don't think he should have went to Hibs. Shit team, shit style of football in shite meaningless games(diddy team players don't put in any where near the same effort in games not involving us or them). We should also have %^*& all relations with Hibs after their 'exuberance' shite.

The Dutch loan might have been in the 2nd division but he would have had to develop as a person adapting to a new culture and coaching would have been a better standard than at Hibs. Dutch amateurs are more professional in approach and outlook than some top level teams here.

It’s one of the arguments I always make when folk say to loan players to other SPFL clubs. For one thing the player, from the off, is up against it from the fans. If results aren’t going their way then the fans put pressure on the Manager to drop the loanee. If the Manager is under pressure he feels the need to appease the fans. Vicious circle.

Send them South, out of the spotlight. At least then we know they are being judged solely in their abilities,
I’ve never understood this argument. What happens if the player that is on loan is the only standout in a poor performing team? I can’t see fans blaming their best player for poor results and wanting him dropped just because he is on loan.
Also, what sort of manager worth his salt drops a player because of fan pressure?

It was his decision and his decision alone to go there.

SG had preferred that he went to Holland.

Middleton has to deal with it.

I, like SG, question the lads decision.
The Netherlands you mean.

Holland makes up two provinces in the Netherlands, North Holland and South Holland. There are a total of 12 provinces.

If we’re talking about provinces, NAC Breda where he was meant to go, is in North Brabant. Not Holland.

I’ve never understood this argument. What happens if the player that is on loan is the only standout in a poor performing team? I can’t see fans blaming their best player for poor results and wanting him dropped just because he is on loan.
Also, what sort of manager worth his salt drops a player because of fan pressure?

A Rangers youngster on a Dev Loan is highly unlikely to be a stand-out player in a top division team, no matter how good a prospect they might be. Gerrard, to be fair, didn’t cave into it but there was huge pressure on Worrall from the fans last season. He was nowhere near as bad as some on here would have you believe. Coulibaly wasn’t long in getting the same treatment after a slight dip in form. Gerrard, unlike Higginbotham, wasn’t facing the sack though. Many fans just look at it and say why aren’t we developing one of our own rather than another teams players. If that is in Scotland and the loanee is a Rangers player then it escalates.

Put it this way, I actually think Middleton has the ability to be a better player than Jake Hastie. You might disagree, which is fine, but look at how their respective loans are going.

It’s up to him to roll his sleeves up and fight his way into the team. Aside the face we would rather he went to another club the experience will still do him good.

A Rangers youngster on a Dev Loan is highly unlikely to be a stand-out player in a top division team, no matter how good a prospect they might be. Gerrard, to be fair, didn’t cave into it but there was huge pressure on Worrall from the fans last season. He was nowhere near as bad as some on here would have you believe. Coulibaly wasn’t long in getting the same treatment after a slight dip in form. Gerrard, unlike Higginbotham, wasn’t facing the sack though. Many fans just look at it and say why aren’t we developing one of our own rather than another teams players. If that is in Scotland and the loanee is a Rangers player then it escalates.

Put it this way, I actually think Middleton has the ability to be a better player than Jake Hastie. You might disagree, which is fine, but look at how their respective loans are going.
Not getting the point in your last sentence VB. I thought JH’s loan was going well and the Rotherham fans were raving about him.

Hibs should never have the privilege of taking one of our players on loan. Development or not give them nothing

It was his decision and his decision alone to go there.

SG had preferred that he went to Holland.

Middleton has to deal with it.

I, like SG, question the lads decision.

I can see why he chose Hibs. He has mates already there from the Scotland 21s and perhaps didn't fancy going abroad, away from his family, for a year.

Breda is a cool little place though.

Not getting the point in your last sentence VB. I thought JH’s loan was going well and the Rotherham fans were raving about him.

That was exactly my point mate. Hastie isn't under pressure from fans with a beef against his patent club, unlike Middleton. For me that plays a part, however small, in relieving the pressure on him and allowing him to perform to his best. Rangers loanees in Scotland, for me, run the risk of becoming the scapegoats for poor results - which might, and I stress might, be the case with Middleton at a Hibs.

Hastie’s loan is going well. No question. Jury’s out on Middleton's but he showed in his cameo today that it’s not down to lack of ability.

That was exactly my point mate. Hastie isn't under pressure from fans with a beef against his patent club, unlike Middleton. For me that plays a part, however small, in relieving the pressure on him and allowing him to perform to his best. Rangers loanees in Scotland, for me, run the risk of becoming the scapegoats for poor results - which might, and I stress might, be the case with Middleton at a Hibs.

Hastie’s loan is going well. No question. Jury’s out on Middleton's but he showed in his cameo today that it’s not down to lack of ability.
Got your point now and agree. cheers.

From speaking to hibs supporting friends. He’s not had a massive impact there and the manager insists on playing as many zcMs as possible (either Mallon or Allan on wing)

I can see why he chose Hibs. He has mates already there from the Scotland 21s and perhaps didn't fancy going abroad, away from his family, for a year.

Breda is a cool little place though.
I hear what you are saying mate. I guess just sometimes going for the easy option is just not always the best option.

If I was him I would have taken SG's advice.

Far too early to judge properly but if forced to pick now, I’d rather Middleton than Barker to be honest.

It should be remembered the boy is only 19, hadn't played first team football until last season, and still lives with his parents in Pollokshields.

You can't guarantee a player on loan playing every game.

That's not how football works.
I have been told that some of the top EPL clubs apply a 'penalty' system for clubs who take their players on loan. The loaned player is guaranteed to play an agreed number of games, injury permitting, but if fit and they don't play then a penalty fee has to be paid. That is a good way of getting young players the development experience they need at that point in their careers.

Holland makes up two provinces in the Netherlands, North Holland and South Holland. There are a total of 12 provinces.

If we’re talking about provinces, NAC Breda where he was meant to go, is in North Brabant. Not Holland.
You should get a holiday for that

I love the lad but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for his decision making to be questioned and maybe even his desire to improve as a player.

Was a baffling move.

He’s taken the easy option by staying at fcking hibs and learning fu<k all off them when he could of spent the year learning how the Dutch do it and proving his ambitions to the manager and fans.

Can’t help but feel disappointed in the lads choice.

There’s been plenty said when we’ve supposedly had to play loan players for so many games. We can’t force teams to play loan players.

Every day is a school day.

The Premiership is a much superior level to the Dutch second tier.

His problem is that Heckingbottom is an idiot, who’s team have no shape. Once Hibs sack him, Middleton will be fine.

Young player chooses a loan move at a relatively decent club close to home to get regular football. Shocking I know.

Alternatively, young player ignores advice from legend of the sport (who happens to be his boss) and chooses not to test himself in a league more suited to his talents and likely better for his development (personal & professional) for the safe option of a team always likely to be in a struggle.

Back