Mikel Arteta reflects on his time with Rangers

ItsInTheNet

Mikel Arteta has opened up on his love for Rangers and Glasgow insisting he urges players to move to Ibrox if they have the chance.

The Spaniard is currently flying high as manager of Arsenal with the Gunners sitting top of the Premier League with just ten games to go.

But despite being fully concentrated on his London outfit, Arteta took some time to reflect on his time in Scotland as he revealed his transfer advice for those with an opportunity to join the Light Blues.

He told the Rangers Museum: “I thought Rangers would suit me so I made the decision to move.

“Everybody was very helpful at the club. I was young and knew it was a big move for me, I wanted to control the circumstances as much as possible.

In my opinion, the best way to do that was to feel settled and feel at home so my family came with me and gave me that security.

“They helped me in the process to adapt to a new culture and language and to play in a different league.

“I loved Glasgow, I always recommend it to people to move there if they have the chance. They will be surprised. It’s hard to find people as passionate as loyal and as open as the people in Scotland and Glasgow in particular.

“I always felt very welcome and I had the support behind me. I had a great time there. We went to New York that pre-season and it helped me as you spend a lot of time together and I got to know the players.

“I was very lucky as I had players that treated me almost like a father and son. I’m talking about players Ronald de Boer, Lorenzo Amoruso and Claudio Caniggia – I had a lot of help and they welcomed me into the group. From Day 1 I felt like I made the right choice."

On the intensity of the Old Firm derby, Arteta added: "I was shocked in my first Old Firm derby but I managed to score. The intensity, the passion and the atmosphere in the stadium was superb. I always say I have never played in derbies like this.

“The 3-3 game was a great atmosphere, lots of aggression, commitment and passion from the players. There are a lot of things that make the game special.

“We lost in Europe early on that season and that was disappointing but we concentrated on the other games and won the Treble. We had a big rival in Celtic and they had a good team who had played together for many years.

“But we won the first trophy by beating them in the League Cup and that sent a message that we wanted to win absolutely everything. That win gave us confidence and a boost for the rest of the season.

“It was special game at Hampden and a great experience for me. I was young and I knew that experience would serve me well. It was the first trophy of the year and we won it. The fans were happy and it was a special game for them as well.

“Some people were saying, ‘Why are you going to Scotland?’ but I am so proud I played there and so proud of what I learned there.

I had great moments and met some really nice people. I learned from big players and lived in a culture that for me was unbelievable.”

The stick he gets for the homesick line is unfair. Young lad wanted to get back to San Sebastian then changed his mind, happens.

Top man is Mikel. Hope he lifts the league.
I think it was a bigger boot in the balls at the time considering we had just lost BF that Summer after him putting in a transfer request AFTER signing a 5 year extension. We were also absolute horse shit in 03/04.

Terrific player though and some mighty balls to slot that penalty away

The stick he gets for the homesick line is unfair. Young lad wanted to get back to San Sebastian then changed his mind, happens.

There was an article in the Athletic that covered his time here at the weekend

de Boer raved about him.

“People said he couldn’t stand the physical part of the game, but I told people to give him time as I only learned what football really was at 20. He was a raw diamond, we just had to polish him,” says the Dutchman.

“In the beginning, it should have been 60 per cent Ferguson to demand the game and Mikel 40 per cent, but as his level progressed, by the end it should have been 60 per cent Mikel the playmaker as he had more skills.

“Barry was a tremendous player box to box but the real artistry was Mikel. They wanted to give Ferguson that role but that was a mistake in my eyes.”

The homesick exit and then appearing on Merseyside within 6mths soured things a bit; which is a real shame because he did well for Rangers and the having the balls to take that injury time penalty against Dunfermline instead of Ferguson speaks a lot of his character.
Very talented player - proper footballer.

He has ridden the managerial rollercoaster at Arsenal well… last September folk wanted him sacked, and now they are in with a more than decent shout of their first title in a long time.

Would be nice to think that we could cultivate some relationship with Arsenal where their youth players come to Rangers for a loan period and the bit of “toughening up” that Scottish football seems perceived to provide.

Last edited:
A very good player, who developed into a player simply too good for our league. That sticks in the throat somewhat, but it's just how it is.

Maybe the home-sickness thing was a silly excuse and he just wanted to play in a bigger league. HE was also very young and probably advised on what to say by agent, etc, so I think it's churlish to hold this against him.

Mikel always seems to speak well of us, despite his stay being relatively short. I hope he manages to win the title with the Arsenal.

de Boer raved about him.

“People said he couldn’t stand the physical part of the game, but I told people to give him time as I only learned what football really was at 20. He was a raw diamond, we just had to polish him,” says the Dutchman.

“In the beginning, it should have been 60 per cent Ferguson to demand the game and Mikel 40 per cent, but as his level progressed, by the end it should have been 60 per cent Mikel the playmaker as he had more skills.

“Barry was a tremendous player box to box but the real artistry was Mikel. They wanted to give Ferguson that role but that was a mistake in my eyes.”

I thought he started that season on fire and even stood up well to Man Utd at Ibrox.

Suffered a couple of injuries then it all went to shite as the team fell apart.

A lot of the stuff around him was made up by Bain and Murray as well.

Our financial situation was coming to light not long after he joined and he was one of the few highly sellable assets. Early on, the rags here were linking him with moves away pretty much as he was in the door.

Him and his agent publicly refuted some comments Bain made about him.

I thought he started that season on fire and even stood up well to Man Utd at Ibrox.

He did. Scored a few goals as well.

Clearly he wasn't ready to be "the man" at 21. Especially when he was surrounded by utter dross compared to the previous season

Midfields of him, Stephen Hughes and Boab Malcolm. Yikes.

I actually feel for him that his emergence unfortunately coincided with Spain developing, arguably, the greatest midfield of all time and several top deputies.

He still should have been capped though.

Cracking player. Always loved seeing him do well and captain Arsenal. Terrible hair though.

We sold him for less than we paid.

Because he was homesick apparently.

Then finds himself in Merseyside a short while later.

He wanted out and we buckled.

He was tremendous away to Copenhagen to get us into the CL, think he won MoTM and was great in the home game against Stuttgart.

The second season for a young player must have been a mental turn around going from playing beside Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, De Boer, Caniggia absolutely flying to playing alongside Bob Malcolm and Ostenstad.

Did well for us, would like to see him link some of his younger players in with us too. Why not but only if they are ones that will progress. Hope he wins the League with The Gunners.

He went off injured at Parkhead with a sore shoulder after a collision with McGeady. Barely kicked a ball for us that second season. We probably expected too much from him, Ferguson gone, de Boer injured etc but I always felt the second season and then they way he left took away from a lot of the good he did in his first.

He went off injured at Parkhead with a sore shoulder after a collision with McGeady. Barely kicked a ball for us that second season. We probably expected too much from him, Ferguson gone, de Boer injured etc but I always felt the second season and then they way he left took away from a lot of the good he did in his first.
Bottled it that game I thought and it was predictable what was on the cards and soon he left for a cut price fee and ended up at Everton not long after.

He was never homesick imo.

Mikel Arteta has opened up on his love for Rangers and Glasgow insisting he urges players to move to Ibrox if they have the chance.

The Spaniard is currently flying high as manager of Arsenal with the Gunners sitting top of the Premier League with just ten games to go.

But despite being fully concentrated on his London outfit, Arteta took some time to reflect on his time in Scotland as he revealed his transfer advice for those with an opportunity to join the Light Blues.

He told the Rangers Museum: “I thought Rangers would suit me so I made the decision to move.

“Everybody was very helpful at the club. I was young and knew it was a big move for me, I wanted to control the circumstances as much as possible.

In my opinion, the best way to do that was to feel settled and feel at home so my family came with me and gave me that security.

“They helped me in the process to adapt to a new culture and language and to play in a different league.

“I loved Glasgow, I always recommend it to people to move there if they have the chance. They will be surprised. It’s hard to find people as passionate as loyal and as open as the people in Scotland and Glasgow in particular.

“I always felt very welcome and I had the support behind me. I had a great time there. We went to New York that pre-season and it helped me as you spend a lot of time together and I got to know the players.

“I was very lucky as I had players that treated me almost like a father and son. I’m talking about players Ronald de Boer, Lorenzo Amoruso and Claudio Caniggia – I had a lot of help and they welcomed me into the group. From Day 1 I felt like I made the right choice."

On the intensity of the Old Firm derby, Arteta added: "I was shocked in my first Old Firm derby but I managed to score. The intensity, the passion and the atmosphere in the stadium was superb. I always say I have never played in derbies like this.

“The 3-3 game was a great atmosphere, lots of aggression, commitment and passion from the players. There are a lot of things that make the game special.

“We lost in Europe early on that season and that was disappointing but we concentrated on the other games and won the Treble. We had a big rival in Celtic and they had a good team who had played together for many years.

“But we won the first trophy by beating them in the League Cup and that sent a message that we wanted to win absolutely everything. That win gave us confidence and a boost for the rest of the season.

“It was special game at Hampden and a great experience for me. I was young and I knew that experience would serve me well. It was the first trophy of the year and we won it. The fans were happy and it was a special game for them as well.

“Some people were saying, ‘Why are you going to Scotland?’ but I am so proud I played there and so proud of what I learned there.

I had great moments and met some really nice people. I learned from big players and lived in a culture that for me was unbelievable.”

Birthday Kerd Pish from a player who done the dirty on us

Being honest I had mixed feelings about him by the time he left us

I don't think anyone can argue much about his talents - & his performances at his subsequent clubs prove that
& although his overall contribution during his time with us was very positive I still felt let down by the manner he left us

I know this article doesn't exactly wipe the slate clean - but it's still positive & I believe he's realised that playing for us was a big part of his learning curve early in his career

Best of luck to him - & I really hope he guides Arsenal to the title - if for no other reason I'd like to hear the excuses from Pep, Howe, Ten Hag etc.

I think what irks people about Arteta is that we manged to make a loss on a young player who went onto have a great career though no fault of our own.

I remember him playing for PSG at Ibrox the year before he signed and he was outstanding.
All the talk is pre match was abour Hugo Leal.

Came away from the game thinking Leal had run the game only to watch it back and realiae it was Arteta.

Then to find out he was joining that summer. Some coup.

Arteta looked like he was going to be feasibly the best player we had ever signed during his first few months with us, the clocks went back, it got dark, wet and muddy and he chucked it until the last few weeks of the season.

He was just shite in his second season.

The homesick exit and then appearing on Merseyside within 6mths soured things a bit; which is a real shame because he did well for Rangers and the having the balls to take that injury time penalty against Dunfermline instead of Ferguson speaks a lot of his character.
Very talented player - proper footballer.

He has ridden the managerial rollercoaster at Arsenal well… last September folk wanted him sacked, and now they are in with a more than decent shout of their first title in a long time.

Would be nice to think that we could cultivate some relationship with Arsenal where their youth players come to Rangers for a loan period and the bit of “toughening up” that Scottish football seems perceived to provide.
What makes you suggest it was instead of Ferguson.
He’d taken over as penalty taker after Ferguson had missed two at Dundee.

I think what irks people about Arteta is that we manged to make a loss on a young player who went onto have a great career though no fault of our own.

I remember him playing for PSG at Ibrox the year before he signed and he was outstanding.
The first time I’d seen Ferguson outplayed in Europe.

Can picture him as a future Rangers manager. Think he's got the passion, character and knowledge to do well with us. Might be a few years away yet though if he manages to win the prem... ha

What makes you suggest it was instead of Ferguson.
He’d taken over as penalty taker after Ferguson had missed two at Dundee.
That’s exactly what I mean - Ferguson had been taking them all season then after the 2 misses it was Arteta taking them.
The Dundee game was 2 or 3 weeks earlier so Arteta was the penalty taker instead of Ferguson.

And he had a penalty kick in injury time that absolutely needed to be scored because nobody knew what would happen next at Kilmarnock so it was vital to score as many goals as possible at Ibrox.

Those days are long gone.

A very good player, who developed into a player simply too good for our league. That sticks in the throat somewhat, but it's just how it is.

Maybe the home-sickness thing was a silly excuse and he just wanted to play in a bigger league. HE was also very young and probably advised on what to say by agent, etc, so I think it's churlish to hold this against him.

Mikel always seems to speak well of us, despite his stay being relatively short. I hope he manages to win the title with the Arsenal.
This.

An ex player who always speaks highly of our club.

That’s exactly what I mean - Ferguson had been taking them all season then after the 2 misses it was Arteta taking them.
The Dundee game was 2 or 3 weeks earlier so Arteta was the penalty taker instead of Ferguson.

And he had a penalty kick in injury time that absolutely needed to be scored because nobody knew what would happen next at Kilmarnock so it was vital to score as many goals as possible at Ibrox.
The chronology of the time is as you post.
I read it as an attempt to have a kick at Ferguson.
My apologies if this isn’t accurate but, there was no need to mention Ferguson in that line.
He wasn’t the penalty taker so Arteta didn’t take instead of Ferguson.

The chronology of the time is as you post.
I read it as an attempt to have a kick at Ferguson.
My apologies if this isn’t accurate but, there was no need to mention Ferguson in that line.
He wasn’t the penalty taker so Arteta didn’t take instead of Ferguson.
It really wasn’t a kick at anyone - not sure how you’ve convinced yourself that could be the case… just an observation that he hadn’t been the regular penalty taker all season and too on a huge responsibility in a big match.

Certainly beats the opinion that Arteta was a bit of a shitebag.

It really wasn’t a kick at anyone - not sure how you’ve convinced yourself that could be the case… just an observation that he hadn’t been the regular penalty taker all season and too on a huge responsibility in a big match.

Certainly beats the opinion that Arteta was a bit of a shitebag.

Arteta would've taken the penalty at Tynecastle if he hadn't been subbed at half time

Arveladze took it when Barry was still on the pitch that day. To no ones surprise, he missed as well.

Arteta would've taken the penalty at Tynecastle if he hadn't been subbed at half time

Arveladze took it when Barry was still on the pitch that day. To no ones surprise, he missed as well.
in my memory, he wasn’t good from the spot for Rangers.

To be fair, given his record, I don't think he could look, even when forced to take a penalty.

FBS
So true after all it's a Dutch player we are talking about. There was a theory that Dutch players thought penalties were too easy so didn’t practice them as anyone could score them. Hence Cryuff's famous pass to the side penalty.

:)) :)):))

So true after all it's a Dutch player we are talking about. There was a theory that Dutch players thought penalties were too easy so didn’t practice them as anyone could score them. Hence Cryuff's famous pass to the side penalty.

:)) :)):))

There was a Channel 4 documentary called I think the Art of the Penalty.

It was basically a study of why teams fail after England had been knocked out of two competitions.

A few things like don't let your usual penalty taker take the first one. It leaves the least confident one with the most stressful one (the fifth) and England lost twice on that. Once with a player who had never taken a penalty before.

Oh and practice , practice , practice. England had the idea that you couldn't simulate the pressure so why practice.

It turned out that England had actually a good record in scoring in percentage terms. It's just that they came up against the Germans who were the best. They also practiced.

Highlight though was the sustained rant from the Dutchman who was convinced that they could lose to the 'Canadian Women's Team'. They had lost every shootout they had went into at that point.

Tells you how good Spain were at the time, he never got a single full cap.

Claudio Cannigia took him under his wing when he arrived, what a player to learn from.

de Boer raved about him.

Yeah, Mikel got that role, then off he went 6 months later.

Glad he got over the home sickness so quickly though.

Just remember, Arteta always denied he was homesick. We all assumed he was at it at the time, but given what was going on, and how we were quite often mislead by the regime at that time, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case again.

From an article at the time

However, perhaps with an eye to the downsizing already apparent at Ibrox, Barcelona had a clause inserted in the agreement which stated that Arteta would automatically return to them should the next payment not be made timeously. A spokesperson for the club last night confirmed that aspect of the sale.

This may go some way to explaining why the Scottish champions are currently allowing the captain of the Spanish Under-21 side to return to his homeland. Rangers chairman John McClelland and the club's director of football, Martin Bain, have insisted that Arteta, who was signed at a time when many at Ibrox had assumed that club captain Barry Ferguson would not be signing a new contract, instigated the move.

They argue that, at a meeting with Arteta's representative, Miguel Santos (whose name, incidentally, does not feature on FIFA's list of licensed agents), Santos claimed that his client was pining for a return to Spain, and that he was also unhappy at having to concede the position in central midfield to Ferguson.

''We then asked [Santos],'' said Bain on June 13, 'Does this mean Mikel now wishes to move on?' His agent replied 'Yes,' and that he would like to work with the club to find a suitable new deal that would benefit the player. It was then agreed that the agent would attempt to find a new football club in the next few weeks.''

McClelland added: ''He has indicated to us that for personal reasons he would probably rather be back in his home country. He's a valuable player for us and, from that point of view, it is not something we planned to have happened. He cost us (pounds) 6m and we definitely don't want him to go on the cheap.''

This version of events was refuted by Arteta himself, who said: ''I have always said I'd love to play back in Spain and I don't think that is a secret, but I am very happy in Scotland. I am not homesick. Scotland is a wonderful country and I am enjoying every second I have been here.

''Right now, I don't have any intention of leaving Rangers. I have never said I will be leaving Rangers tomorrow or next month. I have never said I want to leave the club.

''I have no reason to go but I will do anything the club believe is best. If they decide to sell me, I'll have to see if I'm interested in going.''

However, Arteta, who made 34 league and cup appearances last season, had softened his stance by the weekend, when he claimed: ''Glasgow Rangers are in a complicated situation and need money. We are going to look at the options to find one that suits everyone.''

Arteta's agent has held talks with La Liga side Atletico Madrid, but if the need for a cash injection is indeed the central motivation for moving the player out, then Atletico's offer of Romanian midfielder Cosmin Contra and Bosnian defender Misrad Hibic in return for the Spanish playmaker will have little appeal for Rangers.

The latest twist in thisa particular tale suggests that Rangers' financial problems are perhaps more bracing than has been claimed.

Certainly, recent reports that the honorary chairman and majority shareholder, David Murray, is prepared to provide manager Alex McLeish with an emergency war chest of up to (pounds) 20m does not sit easily with the ongoing cost-cutting at the club.

Before McLeish replaced Dick Advocaat 18 months ago, an entire first-team midfield, Claudio Reyna, Tugay, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, and Jorg Albertz, had been sold. Since then Tore Andre Flo, Billy Dodds, Andrei Kanchelskis, Scott Wilson, Russell Latapy, Tony Vidmar, Dariusz Adamczuk, Tero Pentilla, Arthur Numan, Claudio Caniggia, and Lorenzo Amoruso have been pruned from the wage bill, with Bert Konterman about to join their number.

Back