Mikel Arteta

Seen he is being linked with the Arsenal job. Doubt they will go for him though. Got me thinking, is he worth a gamble ? Very highly rated coach under Pep Guardiola who knows Scottish football and played at a very high level. Also he must have very good contacts.

I accept that we can't really afford any more gambles and I have championed Neil Warnock in other threads but while firing a rocket up the teams arse and bringing in some experienced players will improve us a good bit, will what Warnock brings be enough ?

We are so far off at the moment and without major cash available maybe some more radical thinking is required ? i.e Arteta/ Graham Potter gamble. It is a big gamble and would either be massive hit or massive fail.

What say we bears ? Also was thinking Sam Allardyce might be available in the Summer going by the Everton fans reaction to him last night. If we are going old school route he might be a shout if we can afford his wages.

You answered your own question at the start of paragraph 2... we don’t need another gamble at this stage. In the future I’d love to have rangers bring in exciting young managers, but now it needs to be a solid manager with the experience to get us up to speed.

Seen he is being linked with the Arsenal job. Doubt they will go for him though. Got me thinking, is he worth a gamble ? Very highly rated coach under Pep Guardiola who knows Scottish football and played at a very high level. Also he must have very good contacts.

I accept that we can't really afford any more gambles and I have championed Neil Warnock in other threads but while firing a rocket up the teams arse and bringing in some experienced players will improve us a good bit, will what Warnock brings be enough ?

We are so far off at the moment and without major cash available maybe some more radical thinking is required ? i.e Arteta/ Graham Potter gamble. It is a big gamble and would either be massive hit or massive fail.

What say we bears ? Also was thinking Sam Allardyce might be available in the Summer going by the Everton fans reaction to him last night. If we are going old school route he might be a shout if we can afford his wages.
Arteta is untested. No thanks. Allardyce is on about £6m contract.

Arteta has a decent reputation but it would be a massive gamble by Arsenal which I can't see them taking.

I think he will be happy to sit with Pep for another couple of years.

For us, I would prefer an established manager rather than a rookie, someone who is not mates with the players - someone that commands respect and isn't afraid to kick their arses if things aren't going well.

Even if we wanted him, his salary at Man City will be miles more than we can afford. And much less than Arsenal would offer him if the rumours are true.

Arteta is untested. No thanks. Allardyce is on about £6m contract.
Said before big Sam went to Everton we should have offered him an affordable wage but as an incentive/bonus a percentage of the champions league money if he got us into the group stages.
If reports are to be believed we’d get £30m could’ve offered him £7.5-10m if successful

One simple question - if he didn't play for us, would you even ask the question?

One simple question - if he didn't play for us, would you even ask the question?

No. I'm not for an untested manager coming in but when I thought about it he is very highly rated and could be revolutionary for us. The fact he has played for us takes out a tiny bit of risk and means he would maybe be more open to coming.

Honestly don't think he would be a bad appointment. The modern game is based style of football, tell me one reason why Warnock or big Sam would win our league with their style of football?

Aye, we have gambled the last few, but what was their reputation prior to their appointments? I think someone "like" Arteta should be in the mix for our position because they would bring something more. We should be looking forward in the game and the way it's played. Warnock, Big Sam etc shouldn't even be mentioned with us

No. I'm not for an untested manager coming in but when I thought about it he is very highly rated and could be revolutionary for us. The fact he has played for us takes out a tiny bit of risk and means he would maybe be more open to coming.
He played mostly in the EPL. He'd either want a job in England or Spain

He couldn't get out of Glasgow quick enough due to "homesickness", yet moved to London months later. We need stability and experience. He offers neither

Said before big Sam went to Everton we should have offered him an affordable wage but as an incentive/bonus a percentage of the champions league money if he got us into the group stages.
If reports are to be believed we’d get £30m could’ve offered him £7.5-10m if successful

Very slim chance we’d make the Champions League and the £6m at Everton is guaranteed, regardless.

Michael Arteta drove to Mintys house in the middle of the night in tears saying he was homesick and begged him not to stand in the way of his move back home. Minty granted the young Arteta his wish. Months later Sociedad loaned him to Everton and he was back in the UK where he has been ever since. Homesick my arse. 1 year under Pep means nothing, I also think he lacks the stature to command a dressing room. No ta.

Last edited:
Allardyce comes with one of the biggest back room team in the premiership as well as pay packets.
No chance for me unfortunately.

Stay down there earning mega money with little pressure, learning from Pep and working with De Bruyne and Aguero or come up here for much less money, a huge amount of pressure to work with Andy Halliday and Lee Hodson.

Hmm, I wonder what he'd do if we approached him.

I have to agree with most of the comments....No More Experiments!
We need a rock solid tried and tested experienced manager...no question!

Very slim chance we’d make the Champions League and the £6m at Everton is guaranteed, regardless.
It would be up to big Sam to make it happen or lose the money.

As I said this was my thoughts before Everton came in for him.

And I don’t necessarily mean big Sam but someone like him. If they believe in their talents then you never know. If they succeed they get a good bonus plus no doubt a bigger club might look at the progress.

He couldn’t wait to get out of Glasgow last time round. Don’t think he’ll be in a rush to come back.

Back