Mikhitarayan situation

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I am surprised UEFA are allowing this...he is effectively banned from Azerbaijan due to his nationality.

Arsenal and UEFA have just accepted this it seems.

Will the Azeri FA be fined?

It seems very odd that there is such a casual acceptance.

If your not allowed in the country then you are not allowed sport is no exception

Then its for UEFA to sort it out. Either the player is allowed to play or the final is moved. It's a ridiculous situation.

Hypothetically, what if Spain, for example, said we are not letting Egyptian or South Korean's into the country any longer so Salah and Son will have to miss the CL Final. Its bollocks and UEFA should be flexing their muscles.

Yes but don't have finals held there then?
Good question but you can't predict these things like having an Armenian in the final + was probably part of UEFA trying to give something to smaller footballing nations

Last edited:
Madness for it to be held in Baku in the first place.

Just as well we didn't make the final, they wouldn't know what to do.

Then its for UEFA to sort it out. Either the player is allowed to play or the final is moved. It's a ridiculous situation.

Hypothetically, what if Spain, for example, said we are not letting Egyptian or South Korean's into the country any longer so Salah and Son will have to miss the CL Final. Its bollocks and UEFA should be flexing their muscles.
Unfortunately these Political matters will take precident over any sporting advantage or disadvantage +changing the location at such short notice would also be a huge problem for fans who have arranged travel and accommodation amongst other things

Unfortunately these Political matters will take precident over any sporting advantage or disadvantage +changing the location at such short notice would also be a huge problem for fans who have arranged travel and accommodation amongst other things

So, as @Earl of Leven has pointed out, why select countries with such political influences to stage the final? Would we have had the World Cup in Russia if they'd said they wouldn't let any British players in because Putin wisnae happy?

They shouldn't have been awarded it full stop.

The finalists were always going to be from England, Spain, Germany, Italy etc madness.

Brown envelopes probably

So, as @Earl of Leven has pointed out, why select countries with such political influences to stage the final? Would we have had the World Cup in Russia if they'd said they wouldn't let any British players in because Putin wisnae happy?
It's down to whoever pays the most when the bank balance is improved then morals and rights go out the window with UEFA

It's down to whoever pays the most when the bank balance is improved then morals and rights go out the window with UEFA

If we'd made it to the final only to be told one of our players wouldn't be allowed into the country this place would have been going mental. You included.;)

I thought UEFA had already said that they would sort it out?

If we'd made it to the final only to be told one of our players wouldn't be allowed into the country this place would have been going mental. You included.;)
Obviously I wouldn't be happy it's not as if I agree with Mikhitarayan missing the final due to it but UEFA won't give a rats arse who plays and who doesnt as they have got their paycheck

What muscles? This is a long standing political situation. UEFA should have considered this possibility before awarding them the final.

A Dutch team played a friendly in Qatar a few season back. One of their Jewish players was encouraged to stay home
Doubt that unless it was decision by the club.

Qatar has hosted table tennis, badminton and other Israel teams in sporting championships recently.

UEFA are quick to threaten sanctions against teams when they're thought to be subject to government interference. Surprised to see them take a back seat on this one, both UEFA, and Arsenal should be making more of it all.

It should be part of the application process. If the host nation/city is going to discriminate against anyone, players or fans, then it should be rejected as a host.
Spot on. If this is acceptable then what else? FAs in the dark ages who exclude groups of people should be uninvited from any federations they are part of.

Good question but you can't predict these things like having an Armenian in the final + was probably part of UEFA trying to give something to smaller footballing nations
They banned Yugoslavia from the Euros easily enough

A bit of due diligence and this would have been avoided

It should be a fundamental requirement that any country wishing to bid for a European final, or have their clubs enter European competition for that matter, needs to accept and allow the participation of any player who is eligible to play. No exceptions.

Azerbaijan and Armenia still have border skirmishes, if they don't want to allow people from a warring nation in I couldn't really care less.

Azerbaijan and Armenia still have border skirmishes, if they don't want to allow people from a warring nation in I couldn't really care less.
You're clearly and thankfully in then minority then. The situation is a complete joke. Imagine it was us and we were deprived of one of our best players due to the match being played in a shithole.

Qatar has banned UAE nationals. I don't think it's the other way around as yet

It has been the other way around for over a year now although has become slightly relaxed recently as far as I’m aware.

The GCC rounded on Qatar originally, not Qatar against GCC.

Arsenal should refuse to play. Chelsea should back them up by refusing. The FA should back them both up by saying move the game. If UEFA can't find an alternative, offer Wembley (or Spurs stadium if Wembley is not an option).

If UEFA refuse, the FA tell them they can forget about having Liverpool and Spurs playing in Madrid.

He is allowed there, he would be granted a visa. They just can't guarantee his safety so he is choosing not to travel.

You're clearly and thankfully in then minority then. The situation is a complete joke. Imagine it was us and we were deprived of one of our best players due to the match being played in a shithole.

It's far from a shit hole to be honest, but I'm sure you know better.

Countries like this should not be allowed to host finals it's as simple as that.

I know it's a long shot (a very very very long shot) but what would have happened had an Armenian team reached the final?

How can any country refuse to guarantee one individual's safety?

The final should be taken off them for that alone - for an event of this magnitude both teams should be offered as much protection and safety as needed.

Back