Milan 93-94 defence

Bumplittledipper

I have just heard an astounding bit of trivia. I dont know if this is well known nowadays or not but in season 1993-94, AC Milan won the title scoring only 36 goals in 34 games. The feat largely accomplished by a Baresi led defence that conceded only 15 goals. What makes this even more amazing is that two teams (Atalanta Bergamo and Udinese) were relegated having scored 35 each.

It made me think how that must have been for the fans, barely a goal a game then shut up shop. Still, a wins a win I suppose.

Last edited:
I have just heard an astounding bit of trivia. I dont know if this is well known nowadays or not but in season 1993-94, AC Milan won the title scoring only 36 goals in 34 games. The feat largely accomolished by a Baresi led defence that conceded only 15 goals. What makes this even more amazing is that two teams (Atalanta Bergamo and Udinese) were relegated having scored 35 each.

It made me think how that must have been for the fans, barely a goal a game then shut up shop. Still, a wins a win I suppose.
Sounds like the standard people on here are holding us to when they go mental at us conceding.

I have just heard an astounding bit of trivia. I dont know if this is well known nowadays or not but in season 1993-94, AC Milan won the title scoring only 36 goals in 34 games. The feat largely accomolished by a Baresi led defence that conceded only 15 goals. What makes this even more amazing is that two teams (Atalanta Bergamo and Udinese) were relegated having scored 35 each.

They won 19 games.

14 of them by 1 goal.

5 by 2 goals.

Also lost 3-2 to Sampdoria in what was considered a crazy game.

They went into the CL final as underdogs against Barca. Won 4 nil.

I have just heard an astounding bit of trivia. I dont know if this is well known nowadays or not but in season 1993-94, AC Milan won the title scoring only 36 goals in 34 games. The feat largely accomplished by a Baresi led defence that conceded only 15 goals. What makes this even more amazing is that two teams (Atalanta Bergamo and Udinese) were relegated having scored 35 each.

Almost as good as our defence last year.

13 goals conceded in 38 games :p

Amazing stat!!!!!!!!!!

The Milan team of the early 90’s was fantastic. They trounced Barca 4-0 in the ‘94 final but then met that fabulous Ajax team of ‘94-95 in the group stages and lost both games. Then met Ajax again in the final and lost. I’m not dismissing AC Milan but more just praising that Ajax team. Won it undefeated.

My memory as wonky as it of Italian Football back in the 90's was that it was boring as f.uck but the goals were amazing to watch.

AIK won the Swedish title in 1998 with the lowest number of goals scored in the whole league.

Yes, even the teams that were relegated scored more than the champions.

Yeah.

A lot of people still lazily assume Italian football is full Cattenacio, but it’s an incredibly entertaining league with lots of goals.
Defences aren't good enough any more to play the Cattenacio system. Plus the offside rule isn't the same so you can't really rely on it.

As well as their incredible domestic league record that season, they also kept 11 clean sheets in 13 Champions League games.

The Italian league at that point was by far the best league in the world. Makes that defences achievement all the more impressive imho

My memory as wonky as it of Italian Football back in the 90's was that it was boring as f.uck but the goals were amazing to watch.
Pretty much, although you always had a few games a season that would end up mental, first Italian game on channel 4 was 3-3, Sampdoria v Lazio

Still love watching 90s goals from Serie A

The Milan team of the early 90’s was fantastic. They trounced Barca 4-0 in the ‘94 final but then met that fabulous Ajax team of ‘94-95 in the group stages and lost both games. Then met Ajax again in the final and lost. I’m not dismissing AC Milan but more just praising that Ajax team. Won it undefeated.

That Ajax team was sensational. Played some of the best football I have ever seen.

Doesn't get the credit it deserves because it was broken up so quickly.

Went to the Milan Legends game around the time of our going to the 3rd Division.
Saw a number of those legendary guys and whilst they were not the force they once were, you could still see the class.
Maldini took a long cross on his chest and without the ball hitting the deck, struck a 40 yard pass to one of his team mates and my brother in law and I just looked at one another in amazement. Pure class.
That said, Super found a gap between the same defence to head in the only goal of the game:)

Went to the Milan Legends game around the time of our going to the 3rd Division.
Saw a number of those legendary guys and whilst they were not the force they once were, you could still see the class.
Maldini took a long cross on his chest and without the ball hitting the deck, struck a 40 yard pass to one of his team mates and my brother in law and I just looked at one another in amazement. Pure class.
That said, Super found a gap between the same defence to head in the only goal of the game:)
As good a CB as Baresi was, McCoist was every bit as good as a striker.

Used to love Saturday mornings watching James Richardson sitting in a mediteranean cafe translating the Corriere Dello Sport for us.

Loved the Sunday afternoon commenators too.

This defensive philosophy is what initially put me off Italian football.
Coincided with Italian football being shown on a Sunday afternoon on Channel 4 and it was super boring with hardly any goals.
Only really used to enjoy it when Gazza was playing.
However, after seeing Italy at this year's Euros, I'm a convert and they are now a fantastic attacking side.

Back