Missing a penalty then scoring the rebound

TN8

Is it just me or is this happening more and more in football these days? See Ward-Prowse has done it tonight for England.

I remember as a kid watching the Rangers Gold video and always looked out for McCoist doing it v them in the League Cup Final when Bonner saved the first attempt - and always remember thinking how rare it must be as it was one of the only times I'd seen it.

Is something changing in the way players are taking them or keepers are diving for them?

I think players are more aware and looking for the rebound

Probably because coaches are looking at the missed penalty stats

Keepers and statisticians providing them with the data on how that player takes penalties will allow for a much greater understanding of where the player is probably going to hit it, but it could still be nearly perfect and hit with a lot of power at an immediate guess.

With keepers being more rigorously checked for coming off their line, there are likely to be more rebounds converted.

First one that springs to mind is Makelele doing it for Chelsea. Last game of the season, title party and Makelele obviously hadn’t scored all season, Chelsea get a penalty in the last minute and the other players insist he take it because of how instrumental he’d been to the title success.

He hits an absolute shanner but thankfully followed up with the rebound to win 1-0

The first thing that goes through a penalty takers head is the stats. Which way the keeper dives normally.
The first thing that goes through the keepers head is the stats. Which way the taker hits it normally.
Science is killing our game.

Cowdenbeath's goal in the Scottish Cup against us in 2019 came from a missed penalty, another player put it away though.

gn20.png

there was also the one at Parkhead in the 80s, Woods saved from Fingers Miller, but left him with a sitter, which he easily tucked away.

Sorry, I mean he skied it right over the open goal, the wee shite :-D Maybe some laser pointers in his eyes?

The first thing that goes through a penalty takers head is the stats. Which way the keeper dives normally.
The first thing that goes through the keepers head is the stats. Which way the taker hits it normally.
Science is killing our game.
Whit?

‘Killing our game’

Whit?????

Super Ally against the filth league Cup final, the roar from the mhanks was severely drowned after boner saved only for Ally to slam in the rebound, quite delicious it was
In the Rangers end that day, I'm sure it was a Sunday.
The beggars end of the enclosure was pretty sparse too.
By the time their roar reached us, Super stuck the rebound away.

Back