MLS - Football Innocence?

Superrangers

I have watched the odd MLS game recently.

Obviously not the standard of European leagues but players play hard but generally fair and the fans try their best.

Is it like a blast from the past, innocence compared to the more money-oriented and cynical European leagues or am I mistaken?

One of my fav leagues. Yes the quality isn't the best but agree both teams just get on with things. Hardly any diving and the game usually flows.

Great league for betting on goals

Just as I type this 1-0 Philadelphia

:)

One of my fav leagues. Yes the quality isn't the best but agree both teams just get on with things. Hardly any diving and the game usually flows.

Great league for betting on goals

Just as I type this 1-0 Philadelphia

:)
Not sure I would agree.

Red Bulls are 0-0 and I need a first half goal.

:mad:

Touted Alphonso Davies as a player Rangers should look at a few years ago. Now playing with Bayern.

Same goes for the Korean guy they have signed......looks a player.

I haven't sat down and watched a full game this season but I watch the weekly review show highlights package they upload to their YouTube channel.

The standard is decent, the infrastructure in terms of stadiums, etc is good and they have a good mix now of young up and coming players as well as the bigger name, older stars (Ibrahimovic, Rooney, etc).

A bit off topic but I went to a Florida city game last year whilst on holiday and although the football wasn't as intense the whole match day experience was fantastic, brilliant for families and as the OP stated it felt more innocent and much less cynical than our game.

Sky lost the rights to Premier Sports? Saw Freesports had a game last night was the Red Bull game the last game sky will show?

I saw Portland Timbers in 1986 when I visited Oregon. From memory, I think their coach was from Glasgow! Still have a wee soft spot for them, even if they sometimes play in (dark) green and white! Their bitter rivals are Seattle Sounders. The MLS version of us and them!

I attended the Orlando v Montreal game last week and very much enjoyed the experience. Football was not the best but it certainly was entertaining (goals and red cards).

Lovely stadium they have too as well as enthusiastic fans.

I have watched the odd MLS game recently.

Obviously not the standard of European leagues but players play hard but generally fair and the fans try their best.

Is it like a blast from the past, innocence compared to the more money-oriented and cynical European leagues or am I mistaken?

Agreed i enjoy watching the MLS games if they are on

Might not be up there with Spanish, English leagues but it beats our crap.
I was at an Orlando game last year whilst on holiday and said the exact same thing plus apart from going to Ibrox it beats the match day experience in Scotland by a mile

Manufactured Football sorry Soccer always seems all a bit contrived.
Fans try their best but a just don't think they get it.

Manufactured Football sorry Soccer always seems all a bit contrived.
Fans try their best but a just don't think they get it.

Fight! And Win!

B17-D8987-CE20-41-DB-8-E15-F86-B79-EFB94-B.jpg

Reactions: SSR
:D:D

Been to a couple of MLS games Actual football can be ok to watch.
It's just the whole setup.

I think they 'get it' more now than even a decade ago and certainly 20 years ago.

You're starting to see some of the fan's in America be influenced by the European Ultra's scene in terms of having singing sections, tifo displays, pyro, banners, etc pre game.

Tbh (whilst they're nowhere near as passionate) some of it looks more organised than the shambles we're seeing at Ibrox just now with the UB's in the huff and refusing to sing over the club's refusal to give them prime seating or help them expand.

It's fucking crap, and I can't take it seriously especially when real salt lake named their lineup based on their favourite pizza toppings.

Bunch of fannies can't go and f.uck right off

It's fucking crap, and I can't take it seriously especially when real salt lake named their lineup based on their favourite pizza toppings.

Bunch of fannies can't go and f.uck right off
as opposed to the hammer throwers and the dumps they play in in our backward wee country .

Admittedly not seen much of it for a few years but the quality used to be absolutely dreadful.

In saying that, if the other american sports are anything to go by, you know the Americans will nail the match day experience as it grows.

MLS is my favourite league to watch as a neutral. Standard is getting better year on year (except San Jose Earthquakes who remain crap)

I don't get how sometimes teams play league games against sides in the other division. How is it fair if you play the best side from the east and another team plays the worst?

Fight! And Win!

B17-D8987-CE20-41-DB-8-E15-F86-B79-EFB94-B.jpg
That gets trotted out by the haters every MLS thread. Yes the guy is a dick, but he’s not representative of MLS in general. There are plenty good supports in MLS, including many who would put Scottish football to shame with their genuine passion and enthusiasm, and particularly being vocal for the full 90 minutes. The clubs are also far more involved with supporters in general from pre match entertainment (fan zones) to catering food and drink in the stands. They also have dedicated family sections where no booze is sold to allowing supporters groups to fire off non-toxic smoke bombs which are supplied by the clubs and triggered by the Capos

Quite a few decent players too, on very reasonable wages I might add, although that’s about to change looking at the likes of Almiron. Although Newcastle paid a pretty penny for his services Atlanta didn’t exactly pick him up on the cheap. However being able compete with European sides for the brightest players, albeit for a season or two whilst they prove themselves. Having said that there are still plenty of bargains to be had. I’m interested to see how this youngster Akinola performs in Toronto. Young, fit and strong. He scored a cracker last weekend, simply by refusing to be bullied off the ball. As I said though,he’s still young and got it all to prove. Nevertheless it’s a market we should definite be looking at, not only for young promising Americans, but the league seems to be drawing a lot of talent from the entire CONCACAF region. It is also attracting talented South Americans who are maybe a level down from the likes of Messi, Falcao, Rodriguez, etc

Last edited:
I don't get how sometimes teams play league games against sides in the other division. How is it fair if you play the best side from the east and another team plays the worst?

There's 24 teams in the MLS split between a Western and Eastern Conference with 12 teams in each.

You play each team in your conference twice (22 games) and you play each team in the other conference once (further 12 games). So there's 34 games in the regular season.

The top 7 in each conference advance to the play offs (14 teams) with the two teams that won their conference given a bye so that the 12 remaining teams play each other in knockout ties (not sure if it's home and away or just one game) so that the winning 6 teams advance to join the 2 that got a bye in the quarters. Then 8 teams becomes 4 becomes 2 for the MLS Cup Final the winner of which is the winner of the League.

Atlanta are the current Champions but lost their best player Miguel Almiron to Newcastle. Frank de Boer took over as their manager but as of last weekend hasn't won a League game yet.

There's 24 teams in the MLS split between a Western and Eastern Conference with 12 teams in each.

You play each team in your conference twice (22 games) and you play each team in the other conference once (further 12 games). So there's 34 games in the regular season.

The top 7 in each conference advance to the play offs (14 teams) with the two teams that won their conference given a bye so that the 12 remaining teams play each other in knockout ties (not sure if it's home and away or just one game) so that the winning 6 teams advance to join the 2 that got a bye in the quarters. Then 8 teams becomes 4 becomes 2 for the MLS Cup Final the winner of which is the winner of the League.

Atlanta are the current Champions but lost their best player Miguel Almiron to Newcastle. Frank de Boer took over as their manager but as of last weekend hasn't won a League game yet.

IMO Josef Martinez was and is their best player. A goal machine who could play in top European league no problems. Almiron great though.

Op is a pretty fair assessment of the MLS in my opinion. Decent level and everyone seems to try their best.

Me and the fam have tickets for the dynamo home game in a couple of weeks, $7 a ticket :).

Minnesota Utd has a custom built football stadium opening here this season. Just can’t get fired up for it though. My main problem is the hipster doofus ultra wannabes that are everywhere here now. They’re cringeworthy and some of the garbage they spout is unbelievably embarrassing. No thanks.

This stadium is unreal.

I know they pack it out but it’s a venue not a studium. It’s very dark and dingy even with the wee roof open. If Spurs had that exterior and Atlanta had Spurs interior then they’d both be on to something.

Minnesota Utd has a custom built football stadium opening here this season. Just can’t get fired up for it though. My main problem is the hipster doofus ultra wannabes that are everywhere here now. They’re cringeworthy and some of the garbage they spout is unbelievably embarrassing. No thanks.

You watch they last couple of cup replays at Ibrox from the stands on periscope?

Some of the comments... Talk about cringeworthy :)

Anyway, yes MLS defo lacks passion of football back home but i know where i’d rather tale my kids.

Back