Moaning about the transfer window-where is the cash coming from?

Is that someone taking an 8 game sample and comparing it with a 60 game average.
Pretty pathetic (or mentally lacking) to be honest.

Well no, its comparing our output based upon first 11 competitive fixtures last season compared to first 11 fixtures this season.

No-one is acting like a spoiled brat. We’ve been told for a number of years now that the model is to buy young, develop and sell for significant profit. Quite simply, on that front, the club have thus far failed. That’s where the money is supposed to be coming from to strengthen and keep the ball rolling. We also let a gilt-edged opportunity of CL income slip through our fingers this season by failing to put out a team good enough to compete in the qualifiers. Meanwhile as fans we’ve chucked money at the club left right and centre over recent years in particular.

But yeah, sit down, shut up and be grateful.
Have we sold numerous players at a loss?
No?
Then how is it a failure?

If I plant a tree tomorrow and hope to sell it in 20 years, am I failing year 2 to 19?

Take the cost of the last 5 transfers put all the money together and sign 1 quality player

I think that was the way forward

The free transfers we signed cost money they are not free as such
That would be an unbelievably reckless risk to take.

What if that player gets injured?
Or it just doesn't work out? They don't like Scotland or Gerrard leaves and the new manager doesn't like them.

Signings are ALWAYS a risk. There is no way to get a guaranteed thing. Just no way. Even the best player in the world might not settle and will want away. Who knows?

We are doing the right thing but the players need time and the support needs to be patient.

The idea that we can demand success and success will follow is just not reality.

I'm not excited either by them and your implied comments that we had a plan that didn't come together could be correct.

However if we never sold anyone and we didn't make the CL what were we supposed to do?
I do agree with you OP.

Not selling and not making the CL Is the bare facts of where we are, and were not in a bad place at all.

We need to remember though, we did bring in Wright, Simpson and Nnamdi ahead of schedule.

Id say bringing in the three players over the summer would have cost us circa 4-5 Million pounds.

Last edited:
Have we sold numerous players at a loss?
No?
Then how is it a failure?

If I plant a tree tomorrow and hope to sell it in 20 years, am I failing year 2 to 19?
How many of the young players we brought in have we developed and sold for a significant profit in Gerrard’s tenure?

I think the answer is close to zero.

So how is that approach working?

We were told that was the model. The OP queried where the money was supposed to come from to strengthen the squad. All I’m doing is pointing out the club’s publicly stated strategy. If we have sold no-one, have no money to strengthen and look like we’re struggling now with the players we have then I’d argue that it’s not working.

That doesn’t mean that it can’t or won’t work. I’m merely pointing out that right now it isn’t.

He’s perhaps not worded it correctly however, there is sense of entitlement within our support
The sense of entitlement comes with the territory. We are Rangers, the world's most successful football team. We do not go about our business hoping to win. We expect to win and demand that.

The sense of entitlement comes with the territory. We are Rangers, the world's most successful football team. We do not go about our business hoping to win. We expect to win and demand that.
With all respect mate you do pay attention to clubs resources and status and technical departments yeah ?

Part of the problem seems to be that we are not selling anyone.

In Gerrard's tenure Rangers have spent over £100m in transfer fees and wages but only brought in a very small amount in transfer fees.

It's all well and good saying players are worth huge sums but that doesn't mean anything until they are actually sold for a huge sum.

With all respect mate you do pay attention to clubs resources and status and technical departments yeah ?
Of course, but you show me a Rangers fan and I include myself in this, who doesn't expect to win every game. We have a level of expectancy that doesn't drop no matter who we play. Not saying its right but it's in every one of us and is what sets the club apart.

Spoiled fucking brats? we have backed the club to the hilt financially, tickets, merchandise, mygers, folk have left themselves skint to pay to watch the team, to call us spoiled brats is a nonsense and you can %^*& off with that comment
Maybe not spoiled brats , but champions ;) :) .

I know FFP rules were relaxed last season and tbh I haven't read into the rules of it all but my understanding of it is basically all clubs can only spend the money generated by the club. For people clued up on how it works, with the club needing the 10 to 15 million each season in soft loans pretty much tells us we are 15 million over budget. Does that mean moving forward to get us complying with the rules does it mean we in effect have to cut that money from somewhere?. A real Madrid cutting 10 to 15 million of there wage bill is nothing but for us it would have a catastrophic effect on our playing staff.

I think we are gambling on keeping our players to win the league and qualify for the CL Groups automatically. Given the guaranteed money, we will be in a much stronger position to either extend contracts and,/or make new signings.

We're the most successful team because of the standard of opposition.

Play a higher standard and it's a different story. Thats why we only have one european trophy.

Us and them are far too big for this league.

Those signings stretched the club further, more soft loans etc etc.

We lose money in real terms and we pushed the boat out to win 55. Without a serious injection of cash via a big transfer or whatever then clearly the club can't keep stretching itself.
Stop making sense, it will never catch on here.

Spoiled fucking brats? we have backed the club to the hilt financially, tickets, merchandise, mygers, folk have left themselves skint to pay to watch the team, to call us spoiled brats is a nonsense and you can %^*& off with that comment
It’s exactly how some are behaving though.
I see you haven’t answered the op’s main question though.
How do you think we could have generated more income to fund bigger purchases?

You asked where the money was coming from and I pointed out various streams of finance. If we could afford £5m on Roofe last summer, £7m on Kent the summer before then there’s no reason we should have had to have been relying on free transfers from Sheffield United and Oostende this season of all seasons (when the pot of gold of CL money was there to be grasped).

The league would be classed as must win most seasons but this season more than any other. Win the league this year and we could be out of sight for years to come. Lose it (after being 25 points clear of them btw) and the fallout doesn’t bear thinking about.
It’s because we spent that money last year that we can’t afford it this year!
Also, we weren’t twenty-five points clear of them at the start of the season.
We didn’t get to carry points into this season.
That particular point is beyond childish.

The Board pushed the boat out to give SG the squad to compete and win the title-we managed that. SG has helped deliver that with European runs frankly beyond what we could expect.

I personally don't rate greatly what we've brought in this window but we've obviously tried to do the best within the budget.

However clearly as the likes of Roofe has shown you really need to spend cash to get an out the box player and you could argue his fitness record suggests he will never be our main man more an absolute quality option.

We are not cash rich, we can't spend loads and will need to continue to try and develop players-clearly the level that our players are at are not attracting offers due to a deflated market.

Time for some of our support to stop acting like spoiled brats and accept we've done pretty well overall.
Where is the cash coming from? Have you seen the price of the 3 strips (with a 4th to come), the ticket prices, the european game prices, the numerous castore ranges, the myGers prices, rangers tv subs, corporate prices etc? The fans are being fleeced.

we can accept that up until recently, our transfer activity has been spot on and commend the guys (which we do). But I think we are entitled to bemoan when performances are as flat as they are just now mate

I am concerned about our lack of sales as much as our lack of purchases.
That's obviously not anyone at the club's fault but the apparent lack of interest in our players is strange.

Not a great analogy but to answer your question yes your are failing. You should of planted trees previously so your harvesting every year not just year 20.
So anyone who plants their first tree, makes their first cask of whisky, develops a young footballer l, is a failure?
Because they didn't start their business in the womb?
Laughable.

I really don’t understand the financial plan from the club.
Our income during COVID must have been massive and not far off what it would have been without COVID ( euro gate receipts aside ) . Fans virtually filled the ground, decent euro income, putting staff on furlough and huge merchandising and yet we seem to be losing money all over the place. While it may have been massively risky and may have led to us losing the league last yet, from a business point of view you can’t say your skint then turn down £16m for one of your players.

It’s the failure by some to accept or just appreciate the obvious financial difficulties we face.

You hear it every week on here after a bad result. Last night someone was bemoaning our failure to spend money bringing in ‘3 or 4 quality additions to improve the first team.’

At the same time, not doing so does run the risk of the starting eleven getting stale. None of the new recruits have hit the ground running, although a couple of them have still to kick a ball yet.

I think this lack of quality infusion to the team sheet coupled with the heroic efforts of last season is what’s ailing us at present.

Whether we’ll ever find greater energy and fluidity or just stumble on sluggishly is a question we’re asking more and more as the weeks progress.

It’s frustrating, but we are where we are.

Of course there is, we are the most successful club in the world

I've seen folk this week leave themselves absolutely skint, and I mean proper skint the amount of money they have paid in the last 2 weeks to watch Rangers, it's what they do and accept they have to tap money to get by
That's true, but ultimately its still not enough. The top teams in Europe aren't out there spending massive amounts of money off the back of crowds and ST income. In that regard we are a bit of a relic from the past. Our commercial and TV income is very low, and that's what allows teams from across Europe to out spend us. Unfortunately, having 45k+ ST holders allows us to stand still, but without extended European football, regular transfer income or external investment then we will have a ceiling on the players we can attract and as a result, the quality of team we can put on the park.

We are not being managed properly as a business. Morelos, Tav, Goldson and Kamara should all have been sold and a fresh batch of replacements brought in or even better promote from within.

if we had got £18 to £20m for these players, it is a huge return for the management team to invest.

Also we need to get the players before they become too expensive and are hoovered up by English teams.

Clearly funds were CL dependant, the board imo can’t be faulted
Losing to Malmö was a huge blow as it stopped us buying the quality we so obviously need. The 56th title is every bit as important as the 55th. 55 was a huge emotional lift but 56 could deliver CL riches and set us up for years to come. We know that as do the Tims.

I think we are gambling on keeping our players to win the league and qualify for the CL Groups automatically. Given the guaranteed money, we will be in a much stronger position to either extend contracts and,/or make new signings.

Agreed, the budget is burst with Covid ground closures and we have tried to wheel and deal. Time will tell if the players work out.

Win this league as the renewal in summer will be much more extensive. Davis and McGregor could easily retire or diminish. Kamara and Goldson need to sign up or be sold. Arfield is coming to the end of his too level ability. That's before we have a bid for anyone such as Alfie, Paterson, Hagi, Kent.

It's nothing to be fearful of if we prepare well in advance but at the same time that champions league money would go a long long way to making it easier.

We’ve gambled by not taking the money for Morelos (15mill) and Kent (12) and reinvesting in playing squad, thinking we’d get more as the players would improve and the fact they were key players / big part of the team at those times

sitting now and that 27million looks a long way away after the Malmö game especially

Slow start. Yet to get a settled team due to several factors. Covid, suspensions, injuries etc. We should have strengthened the first 11 but it's far from the doom n gloom that half this site would lead ye to believe fs!
Still top of the league but injuries are the biggest concern

Reactions: CF4
What was the net transfer spend this summer?
We stopped the 10 no need to invest in the squad now.
It’s thinking like this that put Celtic in the position to lose 10 in a row.

Meanwhile we’ve signed a bunch of Bosmans that look like they would maybe improve the B team, but do absolutely nothing for the first 11.

Last edited:
Agreed, the budget is burst with Covid ground closures and we have tried to wheel and deal. Time will tell if the players work out.

Win this league as the renewal in summer will be much more extensive. Davis and McGregor could easily retire or diminish. Kamara and Goldson need to sign up or be sold. Arfield is coming to the end of his too level ability. That's before we have a bid for anyone such as Alfie, Paterson, Hagi, Kent.

It's nothing to be fearful of if we prepare well in advance but at the same time that champions league money would go a long long way to making it easier.

Goldson will be gone on a free. I think if he was going to sign he'd have signed by now.

I don't blame him one bit either because we have virtually allowed him to do as he wishes. We have handled this dreadfully.

When you are running at a £14m loss, the idea you're happy to let a multi million pound asset walk out the door for nothing because he's one of the manager's favourites is bonkers.

Even getting £5/6m for him would've given us a fighting chance of replacing him correctly. Now we're doing it with zero cash for him and all our eggs in the "win the league or else" basket.

I just don't get our thinking on it.

The Board pushed the boat out to give SG the squad to compete and win the title-we managed that. SG has helped deliver that with European runs frankly beyond what we could expect.

I personally don't rate greatly what we've brought in this window but we've obviously tried to do the best within the budget.

However clearly as the likes of Roofe has shown you really need to spend cash to get an out the box player and you could argue his fitness record suggests he will never be our main man more an absolute quality option.

We are not cash rich, we can't spend loads and will need to continue to try and develop players-clearly the level that our players are at are not attracting offers due to a deflated market.

Time for some of our support to stop acting like spoiled brats and accept we've done pretty well overall.

I mean the board have been very open about our model. We need to need to buy players at a certain price point, develop them, move them on for a profit and re-invest a percentage of the profit.

For whatever reason we haven’t managed to find buyers for our top assets and accordingly had very little money to spend this window.

There is not much the club can do about that.

It is absolutely spot on. Although I'd go further and say spoiled idiots. You think buying a season ticket and mygers should guarantee success?

As a club we have been told that we are going to be using a buy to sell model and have to become self sufficient. There has obviously been interest in some of our players, yet we’ve knocked it back. Whether that’s because the bid was too low or we value the player too high, who knows.

The last player we sold for over £1M was Josh Windass. This is a figure that other Scottish clubs don’t seem to have any bother getting for their players, so why do we find it so difficult? Having to pay players off and letting them go for undisclosed figures probably due to embarrassment.

It’s one thing wanting to keep players who might help the club win more, but there’s also the risk of 1) not winning even by keeping them 2) them getting injured 3) just playing shite and losing all their value.

Kamara is the only player that we have that’s worth a decent amount and probably won’t drop in value. Morelos and Kent’s value could go either way depending on injury or what mood they’re in. Barisic doesn’t look half the player that was supposedly going to sell for £20M.

Meanwhile we have Davis as a first pick, playing more than he should & Goldson who hasn’t signed a contract yet as our main CB.

We’re not going to win the Europa League any time soon, so what are we holding onto these big assets for? The start we’ve made this season has been very underwhelming. We need to bring in money in order to freshen up the squad to try and make progress. Right now it’s all looking like “ah, we won the league, let’s put our feet up”.

I can see why we banked on the idea of this squad winning a title and possibly pushing for the CL, it made a lot of sense even at the time, still does now re the league and being competitive in the Europa League.

I could still quite easily see this group winning the league which would be massive to us and offer a sounder place to trade the squad out from.

I have paid a fortune this, and last season, ST for myself, MyGers to boost points, strips for me and kids, Euro packages etc and so on, I did it consciously knowing we were never going to bring in a player for 4 or 5 million pounds.

The board have stretched the deficit as far as it could go, there was always going to come a time when the spend had to stop to some degree. I would be fascinated to know what cost and level of player was expected on the basis of such things?

A lot of our previous business was supplemented by soft loans of people who will as businessmen lost a small fortune during Covid

I really haven't seen much if any posters expecting the board to sell the stadium deeds to fund new signings.

Thread just screams you trying to find faults in fans expectations. The same fans who have went to the wallet time and time again when asked.

The same fans who were promised an exciting summer by Gerrard.

As usual on here, you have taken a tiny minority view and inflated it for your own thread starting objectives.

We have started the season poorly despite being top of league and most sensible people are mildly concerned ar the form and lack of quality brought in.

There will always be some lunatics moaning about everything.

There are some genuine concerns. Should we not speak about those?

It’s because we spent that money last year that we can’t afford it this year!
Also, we weren’t twenty-five points clear of them at the start of the season.
We didn’t get to carry points into this season.
That particular point is beyond childish.
It’s not beyond childish at all. If we lose the league this season after they’ve gone through a massive rebuild and after finishing 25 points clear of them last season then there will be serious questions asked of our board, management team and players and rightly so. I’m not saying we definitely will lose the league but there’s no way we should be after being so far ahead of them coming into this season.

It’s not beyond childish at all. If we lose the league this season after they’ve gone through a massive rebuild and after finishing 25 points clear of them last season then there will be serious questions asked of our board, management team and players and rightly so. I’m not saying we definitely will lose the league but there’s no way we should be after being so far ahead of them coming into this season.
According to some that argument only washes when its us who have overturned the large points deficit

Record shirt and merch sales - from the clubs mouth not made up.

Record ST sales

35k Mygers

50 commercial partners

100 sponsors on kit

a season and a half of donated money from the fans.

3 really decent Europa runs

Won the league and blew the chance at CL

If we don’t have money, why not? that’s a question for the board I suppose
It'll be clear in the accounts when they come out but you can guarantee we're still losing a fair bit. The only way us or the scum will be able to spend decent transfer fees is by generating them from sales.

It'll be clear in the accounts when they come out but you can guarantee we're still losing a fair bit. The only way us or the scum will be able to spend decent transfer fees is by generating them from sales.
Surely the fact we are still leaking money like a sieve is something that needs addressed? How long is that sustainable for? Why is it still happening despite all the things i pointed out?
The fans can’t do any more, we are bent over with the price of tickets compared to other clubs, we buy merch in record numbers, took up mygers etc

Surely the fact we are still leaking money like a sieve is something that needs addressed? How long is that sustainable for? Why is it still happening despite all the things i pointed out?
The fans can’t do any more, we are bent over with the price of tickets compared to other clubs, we buy merch in record numbers, took up mygers etc
It's an issue but it's what we as the fans demanded and it's what the club needed. We had 1/3 of the income of the scum a few years ago and building up a squad capable of winning the league was going to take years of losses. That was the plan all along and it was the only way to win the league. Now that we've done that it'll need addressed but you can guarantee there will be massive threads on here with folk losing their shit if we're selling players and replacing them at a fraction of the price to that we break even.

Firstly, we aren't going to lose the league.

But just listen to yourself. Do you know how much money that mob have spent in comparison to us in the last few years?

We had absolutely no right to finish 25 points ahead of them - but well done, you've managed to take that achievement and use it AGAINST us.

You are beyond parody.

We can control only twelve of another clubs points.
We can do nothing about the other 102 they play for.

It really is, in Scotland teams have often utterly shit the bed the season before and turned around a huge deficit the season after, Rangers and Celtic are rarely far apart due to their ability to dominate so many games.

We won the league by 21 points the season before O Neil arrived,
Celtic finished about 30 points before the season before McLeish won his first title. 17 points before his second.

There is nothing new in a huge gap being followed by a close title race the season after in Scotland.

Last edited:
It's an issue but it's what we as the fans demanded and it's what the club needed. We had 1/3 of the income of the scum a few years ago and building up a squad capable of winning the league was going to take years of losses. That was the plan all along and it was the only way to win the league. Now that we've done that it'll need addressed but you can guarantee there will be massive threads on here with folk losing their shit if we're selling players and replacing them at a fraction of the price to that we break even.
It all comes down to Malmö really. Win that and yeah we had another tie to come through but that could have got us out this hole and with the prospect of CL the next season as well would have set us up for a few years. All ifs and buts obviously but that’s the price of the teams failure

Back