Modern Fans vs Rangers Da's

Dude, check your memory. They had already begun a league downward spiral. Losing and drawing quite a few. They even lost in-between the two legs.
You should do a bit of research on Leeds that season before they played us in the first leg game. Out of 17 games in all competitions they won 8 games, drew 6 and lost 3. It's fair to say that their season collapsed after we put them out of Europe

No one is disputing this.

Also the fact that certain countries can have four teams in the CL sections is not only preposterous it is simply unjust.

That is not the main point for me on this thread.

There are a great many on here and you just need to look at the condescending posts and the arrogant tones on the threads and you realise what seems like the majority on here think we are bubbling just under Europe's elite.

Mainly based on one fantastic Europa League run last season.

Let's wait and see what transpires on Wednesday before getting carried away with ourselves.
In relative terms this team is outperforming our 90's teams under Smith in Europe. We're beating teams with similar resources and have had some incredible results, both against teams of our level and those above us. When you look at the 90's we were regularly losing qualifiers against teams we should've been batting aside and when we did make the groups the results were incredibly poor, one season apart.

In terms of ability for me only James Tavernier gets into the OPs team, but there's so much more to football than a talented group of individuals. Our current run in Europe is the best I can ever recall, and I can go back a fair bit, I put that down to the tactical awareness, organization and discipline of our last two managers and respective coaching staffs.
Your point about our managers, spot on.
It has clearly made the difference. Two guys back to back who played their entire careers at the top level and often went deep into the CL or UEFA cup, also plenty of international experience.
This has to be one of the major factors of the uptick in our euro results these last three years.
Now look at how Walter Smith improved his results in Europe second time around. He had time to go away and see a different side to the game when down in England, then on the international scene, so Rangers ended up benefiting.

I doubt we are getting recent results with same players if for instance Derek Mcinness or such like were in charge.

In terms of ability for me only James Tavernier gets into the OPs team, but there's so much more to football than a talented group of individuals. Our current run in Europe is the best I can ever recall, and I can go back a fair bit, I put that down to the tactical awareness, organization and discipline of our last two managers and respective coaching staffs.
Add belief to this.

Beale has spoken about how after a few games in Europe him and Gerrard decided "Why don't we just go for it the way we do in SPFL games?".
I think we'd been guilty for many years of giving European teams too much respect but that's no longer the case. You can see that belief has carried into the team when you see the clip of Goldson in the tunnel against Leipzig and his rallying cry there;
"I don’t care who they are, what their name is, what they’re worth. They haven’t got a team like us. Come on, no respect. Lets go"

you're comparing squads with millions splashed on them with the current day squad assembled on a relative pittance.

also many of the players you name were involved in multiple euro disasters.

For what it's worth, i'm 52.
For what it is worth this Rangers Da is 64 and I was frustrated watching many of our big money signings not being in the squad on European nights because of the 3 foreigner rule that effectively meant we were watching our strongest team play in the SPL League rather than in Europe - the 3 foreigner rule got scrapped in 1996 after the BOSMAN ruling

Last edited:
In relative terms this team is outperforming our 90's teams under Smith in Europe. We're beating teams with similar resources and have had some incredible results, both against teams of our level and those above us. When you look at the 90's we were regularly losing qualifiers against teams we should've been batting aside and when we did make the groups the results were incredibly poor, one season apart.
The 90s teams under Walter were restricted by uefa’s 3 foreigner rule until the Bosman ruling 1996 so a fair comparison cannot really be made as many of our top players were not allowed to play at the same time because of this rule

Your point about our managers, spot on.
It has clearly made the difference. Two guys back to back who played their entire careers at the top level and often went deep into the CL or UEFA cup, also plenty of international experience.
This has to be one of the major factors of the uptick in our euro results these last three years.
Now look at how Walter Smith improved his results in Europe second time around. He had time to go away and see a different side to the game when down in England, then on the international scene, so Rangers ended up benefiting.

I doubt we are getting recent results with same players if for instance Derek Mcinness or such like were in charge.
Walter learned management from Jim McLean who took Dundee United to all kinds of glory that they never had or will again, and Graeme Souness who had 3 EC wins with Liverpool and played in Serie A and goodness knows how many honours through his career.

The improvement was more down to assembling a very good team and not having restrictions of 3 foreigner rule (5 of our starting 11 in the final being non-Scots) more than it was to do with his times managing Everton or Scotland alone. If he learned anything about European success down there it would have been from SAF in his 8 month spell at Man Utd.

How old does one have to be to be a Rangers Da? Or does being a Rangers fan and a Da make you a Rangers Da by default?

They were but remember there were only 8, then 16, teams in CL.

So we were playing against much better opponents.
Sparta Prague 1991
AEK Athens 1994
Bucharest 1995
Grasshoppers 1996
Gothenburg 1997
Strasbourg 1997

These sides are all a lesser standard to the sides we played in the EL run last season.

I’m happy to overlook losing heavily to Juventus or Ajax as they were two of the best sides in the world at the time, but can’t just ignore the absolute horror shows too.

Sparta Prague 1991
AEK Athens 1994
Bucharest 1995
Grasshoppers 1996
Gothenburg 1997
Strasbourg 1997

These sides are all a lesser standard to the sides we played in the EL run last season.

I’m happy to overlook losing heavily to Juventus or Ajax as they were two of the best sides in the world at the time, but can’t just ignore the absolute horror shows too.
Levski Sofia 1993

Sparta Prague 1991
AEK Athens 1994
Bucharest 1995
Grasshoppers 1996
Gothenburg 1997
Strasbourg 1997

We were pumped regularly, by pretty average teams.

We were pumped regularly, by pretty average teams.
Agree mate ,our European performances apart from 92/93 were shocking
For a couple of seasons we were among Europe's top spenders on fees and wages ,guys like Jonas Thern arriving on 40k a week and the return was poor.

Part of the financial problems that started was because Murray gambled every year spending big money each summer in the hope of getting the £10/12 million at the time for the C/L groups .

The amount of times we failed to get there cost us big time,during NIR I'm sure we only made the groups four times ?

Back