Modern Fans vs Rangers Da's

European comps changed - McCoist played against teams in the tournament actual who are the equivalent of the teams we play in the qualifiers.

Its a fallacy McCoist scored against better teams.

McCoist:

Bohemians, Ilves Tampere, Boavista, Dynamo Kiev, Gornik Zabrze x2, Steaua Bucharest, Valetta x 2, Red Star Belgrade, Leeds x 2, Alania Vladikavkaz x 3, Grasshoppers x 2 and GI Gotu x 3.

Morelos:

Osijek, Maribor, Rapid Vienna x 2, St Josephs x 4, Midtyjlland x 3, Legia Warsaw, Young Boys x 2, Porto x 2, Feyenoord x 2, Lincoln Red Imps x 2, Lech Poznan, Benfica, Royal Antwerp, Malmo, Alashkert, Sparta Prague, Dortmund and Red Star.
Take Leeds alone they were unbeaten in 19 months in the Premier League and were Champions. A far superior side to any that Morelos have played.

Remember who played in that Leeds side, they are without doubt one of the best we have played in my lifetime.

Two CL sides in Morelos' list Porto and Dortmund and 2 in McCoists, Dynamo Kiev and Leeds.

The rest are Europa at best and some dross in there too. Not much between them for me.

Now let's compare medals.

While I love Walter we should went with a more high profile and European manager during the 90s . It was a missed chance

Take Leeds alone they were unbeaten in 19 months in the Premier League and were Champions. A far superior side to any that Morelos have played.

Remember who played in that Leeds side, they are without doubt one of the best we have played in my lifetime.

Two CL sides in Morelos' list Porto and Dortmund and 2 in McCoists, Dynamo Kiev and Leeds.

The rest are Europa at best and some dross in there too. Not much between them for me.

Now let's compare medals.
You are making an arse of yourself here so will leave you to it.

This Rangers squad is the best we've had in terms of European results in my lifetime. Regularly punching above our weight and going toe-to-toe with some top teams.

Do you honestly think the team from my era lumped it forward? Just miss out Gazza and Laudrup n punt it up?
A lot of the time it was give it to Laudrup and he will pull something out the bag. I think our European results at the time showed we were tactically behind the continent. Not just Rangers btw but British football in general with it taking until 98 for a British team to win the CL.

I read more than post nowadays but could not resist after reading the thread on the Athletic's ideas on player types and the names for them.

The posts regarding Rangers da's incoming got me thinking. Are the players of my era, the 90's so far out of touch with the modern game and the way it is played just like supporters of that era?

Personally I think the players I watched in my twenties are far superior to the current Rangers squad.

So I will name my squad below and let the modern, more knowledgeable supporter debate whether my Rangers Da's side is better position by position than their modern equivalent.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

CH Gough Butcher Moore Brown

LB Robertson Numan

CM I Ferguson Gazza B Ferguson McCall

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

CF McCoist Hateley Negri Durie

4-4-2

In my opinion they would beat the current squad with ease, can you even imagine Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist and Hateley up against our current defence? It would be frightening. There are only two current players who would possibly make my squad, Tav and Morelos.

Keep it civil lads and dare I say it, respectful.
I'm a Rangers "Da". (awful patter)

Gordon Durie wouldn't get a sniff at our current team.

You having him ahead of Alfie is preposterous.
Sorry if that seems disrespectful.

I think you adapt to the circumstances you are in. I remember one of the Liverpool players from the late 70s / early 80s talking about how most of that side were pretty big drinkers, but got away with it because the other squads were doing the same.

Bryan Robson, probably the best English midfielder of his generation used to bevvy on a Friday night before matches and was usually still a stand out. If these guys were coming through these days they would still be as gifted, and also be model professionals as it's the only way they would make it.

There is no guarantee their bodies would cope with the demands though.

Some would, some wouldn't.

Somebody like Gazza for example. Would he make it to the level he did in the modern game? There isn't really a place for a maverick like him anymore

Edit - by maverick I mean somebody with his off field life and how it influenced him on the park. Not his football ability

Hearts, Motherwell and The filth results say otherwise.
What about Dundee Utd
Sorry, I thought we were comparing the 90s boys as they are against todays team in some kind of time defying spectacular exhibition!!

ok, so if we took most of the 90s squad and they came through today with modern coaching and diet etc, then yes I agree man for man they are better. We were buying the best of the best at the time though.
it is slightly more satisfying, imo, to see us do so well when we have assembled the team on a tighter budget and you actually see the players improving through coaching and tactics, rather than buying the finished articles at huge prices.
I'd rather win the League 75% of the time like we did then. Each to their own.

Wit?

Where did that Leeds side finish in the league season 92/93?

I'm a Rangers "Da".

Gordon Durie wouldn't get a sniff at our current team.

You having him ahead of Alfie is preposterous.
Sorry if that seems disrespectful.
I don't he's in the squad from the 90s and I think it would be McCoist and Hateley as first choice.

Alfie was in his Columbian Da's baw sack in the 90s.

I did say him n Tav would be the only two from our current team to challenge for a squad place.

I'm a Rangers grandda, so I must be one of the least informed people on here.

For every old guy you hear shouting "Get it in the box" or such like, there will be another 99 old guys like me that understand the way football works today.

It is always the way that the younger ones think the older generations' teams were inferior due to outdated methods, and to a certain extent, that is true. There is no doubt players today are much fitter.

One thing is certain though, the average Scottish player of today is nowhere near as good a footballer as the players I watched in the 1960s and '70s. We have really regressed as a footballing nation., we have not embraced new methods and have been paying the price for years.

McCall from 1991 when he was bombing forward and joining the attack, even scoring goals would thrive in this side.

McCall from 1994-1998 who didn’t do that… not so much.
Interestingly (for me anyway) I had a look through which shirt numbers Stuart McCall wore for Rangers.. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
I don't think he would just as I think Baxter would've been out of place in the pace and physicality of the 90s. It is a pretty facile argument mind trying to drop a player from one era into another.

I'm a Rangers grandda, so I must be one of the least informed people on here.

For every old guy you hear shouting "Get it in the box" or such like, there will be another 99 old guys like me that understand the way football works today.

It is always the way that the younger ones think the older generations' teams were inferior due to outdated methods, and to a certain extent, that is true. There is no doubt players today are much fitter.

One thing is certain though, the average Scottish player of today is nowhere near as good a footballer as the players I watched in the 1960s and '70s. We have really regressed as a footballing nation., we have not embraced new methods and have been paying the price for years.
Agreed.

I don't he's in the squad from the 90s and I think it would be McCoist and Hateley as first choice.

I did say him n Tav would be the only two from our current team to challenge for a squad place.
Alfie would "Challenge" but Durie is actually in your squad.

My point stands.

From the early 90s to now I'd go;

Klos

Numan Moore Gough Tav

Albertz Gio VB I Ferguson Reyna

Laudrup

Hateley

Kent wouldn't start but he'd be in and around any squad

I don't think he would just as I think Baxter would've been out of place in the pace and physicality of the 90s. It is a pretty facile argument mind trying to drop a player from one era into another.
It’s one of those conversations that some people get really animated about but is a nonsense really… you can’t take someone from one era and do anything other than imagine them into another.

For what it’s worth… this Rangers squad has me at a point in Europe where I am very comfortable that they could navigate through most ties. There’s a really nice blend of ability, athleticism, discipline and belief in themselves.
Our mid-90s team were terrified when we got into Europe - we were dependent upon a few players having a stormer just to stay in the game.

Advocaat’s team of 1998-2000 were similar to the current one in their overall ability to compete in these matches.. arguably the better players but struggled to get beyond group stages.

Comparing eras in what is a continually evolving sport is essentially a pointless exercise in my view. You look at the intensity and pace of most games now and compare it to 30 years ago and it’s like a different sport. And 30 years down the line from now it will also likely be a very different game.

Of course technique and skill is universal but it’s very difficult to compare players with that context. Add in natural nostalgia fans have for specific times in their lives and the rose tinted specs aspect and you end up with a minefield.

wild.

how do you explain them being p*sh in the league in the months before we met them?

you thought it was like now eh, and we played those games before the season really started
They were unbeaten for 19 months before we met them including in the Premier League.

I was at both games and my memory is still fine. The press down there gave us no chance at all because they were so good. We gave them a goal start in the first leg n still blew them away.

After those games their decline started.

Tactically, fitness & recovery seem the biggest difference. You could argue the 90's team had a few more talented players. Meaning the top 2 or 3 talented players were in the 90'a team

They were far superior to any team we have played recently. You pointed out there finishing position that season. I'd say we caused that.
The EPL back then was not the all conquering financial juggernaut it is now. Leeds were a decent team but that was it. We probably had a higher turnover than them at that point. Compare that to the disparity in finances between us and Dortmund or Leipzing. It's a world of difference.

Rangers da patter is chronic.

Imagine getting a slagging from some wee dick who’s likely got a girly haircut and no hair on his bollocks.

Levski Sofia, AEK Athens, Auexerre, Grasshoppers, Gothenburg?

The very best teams, really? The Champions League? Really?

It was a different game then. Those teams were crammed full of their country's best players.

Nowadays none of the top 30 or 40 players in those countries stay in the league past 21.

Grasshoppers mid 90s were a very good team.

Alfie would "Challenge" but Durie is actually in your squad.

My point stands.
Ah I see, I'm not sure how much Alfie would like being a squad player. I think he likes being the main man. We may find out this season.

The only thing I don't like about Alfie is that he has never played a good full season for us.

Sometimes through injury which is fine.

Others through attitude which is not.

Back