Modern Fans vs Rangers Da's

They were unbeaten for 19 months before we met them including in the Premier League.

I was at both games and my memory is still fine. The press down there gave us no chance at all because they were so good. We gave them a goal start in the first leg n still blew them away.

After those games their decline started.
Dude, check your memory. They had already begun a league downward spiral. Losing and drawing quite a few. They even lost in-between the two legs.

It was a different game then. Those teams were crammed full of their country's best players.

Nowadays none of the top 30 or 40 players in those countries stay in the league past 21.

Grasshoppers mid 90s were a very good team.

Were they? Were they "very good" though?

Or were Rangers, just a bit of a nonsense in Europe and rightly mocked by them TBH for looking like, a bit of a joke when playing them away

Last edited:
Ah I see, I'm not sure how much Alfie would like being a squad player. I think he likes being the main man. We may find out this season.

The only thing I don't like about Alfie is that he has never played a good full season for us.

Sometimes through injury which is fine.

Others through attitude which is not.
I just have a huge bee in my bonnet when it comes to Gordon Durie.

The centre forward who scored in two games in the entire TIAR season wouldn't get a sniff at any elite select side of mine.

They were unbeaten for 19 months before we met them including in the Premier League.

I was at both games and my memory is still fine. The press down there gave us no chance at all because they were so good. We gave them a goal start in the first leg n still blew them away.

After those games their decline started.
They beat Liverpool in the Charity Shield, Cantona knocking in a hat-trick and he looked in great form.

He was away within weeks of the matches against Rangers though and clearly something behind the scenes changed dramatically over the start of the season.
From watching a documentary about Leeds winning the title, they were totally focussed on it and it led to the situation afterwards where nobody really knew what was next… they got lost.

I was a keen follower of English football at the time and I really feared the Leeds midfield would overrun Rangers over the 2 matches.. fortunately not!

No it's no they were unbeaten.

images

I may be reading the OP incorrectly, so apologies if so, but is the argument here that we had better players in the past so that means fans who were around back then know more about the game?

At best, it looks like two completely separate questions - how much has the game changed, and how good is the squad listed compared to our current one.

Football changed in a big way in the 90s, and it had already been evolving (just a little slower, everything sped up when travel became so much more accessible) before that. It's impossible to compare eras, there's too big a difference.

Take one of the most famous goals of all time, Maradona v England. These days, we'd be saying that the England players were lazy in their defending and tracking back, but that was just how the game was played then.

That squad would take 5 off our current players. That's not a slight on today's team either.

I’m 45 but I identify as a 21 year old minus the stupid clothes,
That’s how it begins.
I’m going on 65 and my wife says I behave like a 10 year old.

As Rangers Das being out of touch with the modern game my first rule in football is “ kick him and then we’ll see how good he is”.

There's many players from that era that could play in the modern game and a lot of them surpass our current squad.
I would certainly bite your hand off for a Goram, Laudrup and Gascoigne in the team.
As for having a Gough or Numan in the defence today absouletly.The latter were way better than any of our current squad and absolute athletes.
For midfield forward pressing power, excitement when on the ball and shooting ability no one in the current team can compete with Albertz. Watching him destroy teams particularly celtic was a joy.
Certainly a lot of names in there that dominated the domestic game and to be fair budgets are totally different.
As for Eurpean football, hopefully we will see how they do at the Champions league level. If we play against the actual winners of the Bundeliga,Siera A or La Liga etc then I think that we could well see a bit of a similar embarrassment occuring from the current team I'm afraid but I hope not.
But getting back to your central theme, yes they could easily play in the modern game and I don't think that the football that is played today is so vastly different to the 90s that it makes any real difference on the pitch.
As for Rangers das it is as someone said pish pater.You could be a Rangers da for decades and see multiple teams.The football from the 90s onwards to the 2030s is not going to change that much.
The football from the 90s till today when it comes down to it has not changed drastically.Take the first game of the season, it was just as much as a slog as in similar games in the 80s,90s, or 2000s.

Last edited:
The EPL back then was not the all conquering financial juggernaut it is now. Leeds were a decent team but that was it. We probably had a higher turnover than them at that point. Compare that to the disparity in finances between us and Dortmund or Leipzing. It's a world of difference.
Quoting my own post here as I've looked into this

Season 91/92
Turnover
Rangers - £12.989m
Leeds - £8.568m

Wages
Rangers - £6.418m
Leeds - £4.055m

It's wild revisionism to think we shouldn't have been beating them. Folk down South might have expected them to win but that's typical English fitba arrogance. Stick us in the Premier League at that time and we'd have been challenging for the title.

I think folk forget just how much the finances in the EPL have changed over the years. If you go back to those days we had a turnover that was similar to or higher than Man Utd's at the time. We weren't some plucky underdogs.

Were they? Were they "very good" though?

Or were Rangers, just a bit of a nonsense in Europe and rightly mocked by them TBH for looking like, a bit of a joke when playing them away
They were certainly very good compared to any Swiss team now.

They were never elite but not some laughable minnow.

They were certainly very good compared to any Swiss team now.

They were never elite but not some laughable minnow.

watching Swiss sides recently is just making me less impressed by the goal record Itten had when playing in that league TBH, being better than them isn't much to shout about

Re Grasshoppers, they sure as hell weren't one of the "very the best teams" as was mentioned earlier, they were a budget European side who a side build like ours on paper should have been dealing with easily then

Naturally more gifted players or not the current team would run the 90s team into the ground for all the reasons listed in this thread so far. You stick the modern team in that era with all the advantages of modern football and they’d win 15 in a row. Likewise if you take the 90s teams and give them modern edges in the present day.

Talent only takes you so far, the demands of the game now means talent doesn’t go quite as far as it once did.

Quoting my own post here as I've looked into this

Season 91/92
Turnover
Rangers - £12.989m
Leeds - £8.568m

Wages
Rangers - £6.418m
Leeds - £4.055m

It's wild revisionism to think we shouldn't have been beating them. Folk down South might have expected them to win but that's typical English fitba arrogance. Stick us in the Premier League at that time and we'd have been challenging for the title.

I think folk forget just how much the finances in the EPL have changed over the years. If you go back to those days we had a turnover that was similar to or higher than Man Utd's at the time. We weren't some plucky underdogs.
I posted on a thread yesterday that we were arguably the biggest club in Britain at that time. We played the scum on a Saturday in a reserve match at Ibrox and I’m sure the only attendance in Britain that beat it that day was Old Trafford.

Sadly as the EPL has grown into the monster it is today and the massive gap in finances that leads supports of lesser EPL clubs to think of us as some minnows they dwarf.

The game has changed and continues to evolve. You put any old school approach up against Pep Guardiola and it would be embarrassing.

Enjoy the game and appreciate that it's changed.

It's too difficult to even try to compare eras. Goalkeepers are now expected to be sweepers. Centre backs are expected to be footballers, 30 years ago they were expected to be gladiators. Wingers used to be for setting up goals for others, they're now expected to be goalscorers. Forwards used to play in pairs.

What a fukin battle Gough v Morelos would be though B-)

The current guys earn at least two or three times the wages and have just reached a European Final. We have just sold a player for double our record outlay too.
Not every year, but most years we played in European Cup. Wonder how that lit would’ve faired in Uefa/ Cup winners cup

The 9 in a row group of players for me were far superior to this group.

As they should have been though considering the relative spend on both squads.

I think Tav would maybe get in, but a peak Gary Stevens was a terrific player too.

Other than that I would struggle to make a case. Even Morelos isn’t replacing McCoist or Hateley.

I posted on a thread yesterday that we were arguably the biggest club in Britain at that time. We played the scum on a Saturday in a reserve match at Ibrox and I’m sure the only attendance in Britain that beat it that day was Old Trafford.

Sadly as the EPL has grown into the monster it is today and the massive gap in finances that leads supports of lesser EPL clubs to think of us as some minnows they dwarf.
We were. I can understand younger folk not realising but I can't understand how folk who were around at the time are creating a myth that somehow Leeds were a massive team. They weren't in comparison to us. No one in the First Division, as it was then, was bigger.
We had a higher wage bill than Man Utd ffs.

Take Leeds alone they were unbeaten in 19 months in the Premier League and were Champions. A far superior side to any that Morelos have played.

Remember who played in that Leeds side, they are without doubt one of the best we have played in my lifetime.

Two CL sides in Morelos' list Porto and Dortmund and 2 in McCoists, Dynamo Kiev and Leeds.

The rest are Europa at best and some dross in there too. Not much between them for me.

Now let's compare medals.

That Leeds side were described by Alex Ferguson as the worst PL champions he had ever seen.

The EPL back then was not the all conquering financial juggernaut it is now. Leeds were a decent team but that was it. We probably had a higher turnover than them at that point. Compare that to the disparity in finances between us and Dortmund or Leipzing. It's a world of difference.

The game has changed and continues to evolve. You put any old school approach up against Pep Guardiola and it would be embarrassing.

Enjoy the game and appreciate that it's changed.
Why would it be embarassing? Pep is managing top level so would they embarrass the great Milan side containing Gullit and Van Basten for example?

I really don’t think they would.

A better team, the one I named were a team of winners

They did I was there, it was the Champions League though, against very the best teams. If we make it this season I'm sure it could happen too.
They were guilty of the exact same parocihialism that has seen Celtic clean up domestically and become an embarrassment in Europe over the last decade. They were as far away from winners in Europe as you can get, one decent season aside.

I'm not so sure about the generational thing. I tend to see the support and the people around about me at matches tending to like the same things. Funny thing is my grandpa was definitely a 30's and 40's man, my dad was a 50's early 60's Rangers team man.

I was brought up mainly with Grieg, Parlane and Johnstone. I know things changed because my earliest memories of Ibrox in the late 60's and early 70's - maybe much longer is the ball swishing from one touchline to the other with a fair best less midfield control.

The team of the 90's and the Advocaat era, Walter's 2nd term, are also definitely my teams too, as is the current one. Possibly I'd say players must be fitter now, with less individual flair. however, I think that one thing that characterises the team now is positioning - and also ball winning from tackles. I like this current team a lot.

Players are certainly more fitter than they have ever been, having said that there are more injuries as a result of that.
Do you think so? I'm sure we used to have loads of injuries back in the day. I wonder if injuries get noticed more with all the analytics they have now. We also used to get players "playing with painkilling injections" before (Barry always springs to mind) - don't really hear of that now.

The current squad would beat the 90's team if you dropped that team into the modern era. I'm not saying the current squad has more talent than the 90's squad. But they would beat the vast majority of teams of that era due to how football has evolved, the technology, sport science, recovery.

I read somewhere modern day footballers cover 50% more ground than they did 30 years ago.

I read more than post nowadays but could not resist after reading the thread on the Athletic's ideas on player types and the names for them.

The posts regarding Rangers da's incoming got me thinking. Are the players of my era, the 90's so far out of touch with the modern game and the way it is played just like supporters of that era?

Personally I think the players I watched in my twenties are far superior to the current Rangers squad.

So I will name my squad below and let the modern, more knowledgeable supporter debate whether my Rangers Da's side is better position by position than their modern equivalent.

GK Goram Klos

RB Stevens Porrini

CH Gough Butcher Moore Brown

LB Robertson Numan

CM I Ferguson Gazza B Ferguson McCall

RM Laudrup Steven

LM Albertz Durrant

CF McCoist Hateley Negri Durie

4-4-2

In my opinion they would beat the current squad with ease, can you even imagine Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist and Hateley up against our current defence? It would be frightening. There are only two current players who would possibly make my squad, Tav and Morelos.

Keep it civil lads and dare I say it, respectful.
Gio and Reyna and Albertz were better than Ferguson and McCall, if you’re just talking ability.

Laudrup wasnt a RM or a winger.

He was given free reign.

Stevens, Robertson and Numan are every bit of the modern day full back.

Durrant LM?????
Watched Robertson get absolutely destroyed by Frank Rijkaard (which most folk did) but he wouldn’t be in my team as the best, Numan was much better.

The term Rangers da’s was invented on Twitter for all the horny auld bassas who sleaze over the young lassies who put up pics of themselves for attention from said horny auld bassas.

IMO

You only need to look at the repeated calls to sign a big target man or play 2 up top to see how many fans haven’t really moved with the times.

That being said it goes both ways, some of the modern fans are a nightmare in the way that they’ve become Americanised and don’t really gauge players or performances with their eyes anymore but rather off stats trotted out which often dont tell the full story.

Watched Robertson get absolutely destroyed by Frank Rijkaard (which most folk did) but he wouldn’t be in my team as the best, Numan was much better.
Robertson was fast. Its about the most you could say about him.

Wasnt the greatest defensively and delivery wasnt anywhere near Numan or Borna.

I'm realising with each passing season that the technical aspect of the game is increasing. It is much more a tactical game than it was for the players mentioned in the OP. An example (off the top of my head) is we would batter teams like Alania 7-2, I don't think we see scores like that anymore as minnow teams are much more technical.
I did prefer it in the 90s to now but then that might just be age.

you're comparing squads with millions splashed on them with the current day squad assembled on a relative pittance.

also many of the players you name were involved in multiple euro disasters.

For what it's worth, i'm 52.
Im 38 and find the euro exploits of the teams of my youth weird when I look back.

Apart from 92/93 we were hopeless until possibly the season we beat PSG to get post Xmas Euro fixtures.

What I will say is that the modern players conditioning would play a massive factor in any outcome, even though the previous generation were more technical and skilful.

We never played anywhere like the number of European games back then that we do now.
Kind of irrelevant, its not like Morelos goals have came across significantly more games.

McCoist scored 21 in 52 in Europe
Alfie has scored 29 in 58 in Europe (without factoring in his 4 goals in 6 games for HJK).

The benefit of being slightly older is that we have enjoyed watching so many Rangers teams and players coming and going. So maybe the younger fans should respect our judgement and opinions a bit more rather than calling us Rangers Da's which is pathetic patter.

Sorry but that’s a lot of absolute nonsense. Wasn’t technically as good as Numan but he was a fantastic player for us.
He was a greatly effective player for us but he wasnt fantastically gifted.

He was a poor defender exposed regularly in Europe. He was a poor crosser of the ball but got round that with pace.

Robertson sat in an arm chair for a load of his career with us IMO, run as fast as you can up and down and distract folk while that magic b*stard in front of you does sh*t

We wouldn't be a measurably better side if he was put into our team tomorrow over either LB, would get pelters on here most weeks IMO

The benefit of being slightly older is that we have enjoyed watching so many Rangers teams and players coming and going. So maybe the younger fans should respect our judgement and opinions a bit more rather than calling us Rangers Da's which is pathetic patter.

I think the rangers da patter is mainly aimed at guys who shout “for %^*& sake get it in the box” when Borna takes a touch at the half way line, as opposed to ALL older fans.

Back