Moments from games that were different than you thought you remember

ALittleBitOfTheBubbly

Bit of a daft one but we all will all have them.

Scrolling through twitter this morning on the way to work and watched a video of Bert Konterman hitting his thunderbastard against the bheasts.

Over the years, my mind has somehow conditioned me to think it was from a lay off from a free kick and not a cut back from open play!

Any that come to mind?

One that always sticks in my mind is Derek Johnstone's bullet header against Wales.

I always thoutght that was way further out than it actually was (someone on FF managed to find a clip a few years back). Still one of the best and most powerful headers you're ever likely to witness but not as far out as I'd always believed.

:)) Loads of them.

Always remember players dribbling past one or two men more than they actually did.

Long range goals always from further out than they were.

AND I will always argue that my version is right;)

I always thought Colin Stein jumped up on the fence after he scored at Easter Road in 75 to win us the league but he never did.

John Greig long range thunderbolt on my birthday at Ibrox v Motherwell.
Must have been about 1974 or 1975.

I always thought he was near the halfway line, turns out it was a mere 35 yards.

An ian Redford lob against Dundee utd in a league cup semi final.
Always had it in my head it was from the half way line.Was it feck...lol.still a great goal though.

One that got me recently was when Heart and Hand were doing the greatest games run down.

For the 2-2 Champions League game against Marseille, I could have sworn the McSwegan got the equaliser late on, not got the first to bring us back into the game.

Even checked wiki and UEFA site that night to make sure they were right, but somewhere still in my head its a late equaliser.

Scrolling through twitter this morning on the way to work and watched a video of Bert Konterman hitting his thunderbastard against the bheasts.

Over the years, my mind has somehow conditioned me to think it was from a lay off from a free kick and not a cut back from open play!

Any that come to mind?
Gazza's penalty in the 3-0 game to win the league.
I've actually "cured myself" by watching it to death, but for years up until about 2005 when I started seeing videos of it online I thought he put the penalty to his left.

One that always sticks in my mind is Derek Johnstone's bullet header against Wales.

I always thoutght that was way further out than it actually was (someone on FF managed to find a clip a few years back). Still one of the best and most powerful headers you're ever likely to witness but not as far out as I'd always believed.
Same here, would have bet my life it was further out.

Brian Laudrup cutting inside from the left wing and smashed a right foot shot in off the post at Fir Park in December 1995. Turned out he did hit the post but it rebounded back out, hit the goalie's face and rolled back into the net.

Kamara ripping the piss out of Brown in the 2-0 game end of last season. Didn't realise it was in the run up to Arfield's goal

Not something from a game but it always surprises me just how many people will tell you that Mo Johnston signed for Rangers on the 12th of July.

When we thought we had equalised against the scum. Took about 15 minutes before we realised we hadn’t.

the goal where Alfredo nips the ball off the keeper and puts it away . would have sworn it was at Ibrox .

There was a thread the other day about a game v the sheep from 1980 when Bud stood on McMaster's neck. I firmly remember sitting in the Centenary Stand watching it but on the video in the thread the Centenary Stand is flattened. No idea where I was sitting now, I was 9 at the time.

I was convinced that John Greig conceding a penalty in a cup final with a diving against the filth save happened in the 0-4 defeat in 1969. it was actually in our 3-2 win in 1973.

Hadnt realised the move for our first goal at the piggery started at our corner flag. Could only remember alfie out right with the lay off, think it was the next day before I seen it again and got to appreciate what a sublime move it was

Any that come to mind?

I seen this goal before and had exactly the same apart from that in my mind it had gone in off the underside of the bar. I could picture it clear as day as well, strange.

Going back to the home game (0-0) v PSV in 1978, before we won 3-2 in the away leg.

Although the home game finished 0-0, my recollection was that Tam Forsyth went on an amazing run breaking through the centre of their midfield/defence - ended on one on one with their keeper before missing a great chance.

I would only have been 13, no idea if this actually happened or if it's a figment of my imagination.

There are many, many, moments in games, results in games and when games happened that this bear gets mixed up.
There is a name for this but I can’t remember that either.

in the other thread about long distance goals, i remember hateley hitting it from 40yards with the ball slowly rolling towards goal it bobbles up over the keeper, it was nothing of the sort. 40yard hit that went under the keeper.

When we thought we had equalised against the scum. Took about 15 minutes before we realised we hadn’t.

Was this a game in the 90's when Davie Robertson "scored"? I remember the TV at the time had the game showing as 1-1 and hadnt realised the game had restarted from a free kick for the scum??

I'm sure Jock Brown (edit it was Gerry McNee) was the commentator too and after a few minutes they showed the scoreboard and realised their error.

The Nikica Jelavic goal in the CIS cup final.
I always thought it hit one post curled out over the line, hit the other post and then went in.
It actually hits the post curls out and crosses the line without hitting the far post.
Must have been drunker than I thought.

Was this a game in the 90's when Davie Robertson "scored"? I remember the TV at the time had the game showing as 1-1 and hadnt realised the game had restarted from a free kick for the scum??

I'm sure Jock Brown (edit it was Gerry McNee) was the commentator too and after a few minutes they showed the scoreboard and realised their error.
Yes that's the one,watched it in the bowling club and couldn't hear McNee saying it had been disallowed.
Only later someone noticed the scoreboard,everybody must have still been celebrating and never noticed there hadn't been a kick off to restart the game.

Was at the last cup final against the filth & said to my mate when was the last time Rangers scored up at the Rangers end against the tramps at Hampden? I was convinced that it was Jelavic & to make matters worse I was at the game too. My mate says no Jelavic scored up the Celtic end. I didn’t believe him, when I watched it on YouTube when I was in the stadium I couldn’t believe it, funny how despite being there I had convinced myself otherwise.

Werder Bremmen hit the bar when it was a magnificent save.
Weirdly had the guy not have gotten such a good connection on the shot he would have scored. He literally put it the only place where it gave mcgregor a chance of getting enough on it to deflect it onto the bar. Taking nothing away from Allan.

Edu last minute against Lisbon in 2011. Came out the ground that night certain it was Papac that tapped it in. Only a few days later when I watched the highlights I seen it was Edu.

Jonas Thern's screamer v the vermin. Footage wasn't as readily available back then, me and my brother argued for years over it. He said it was from a clearance from a corner, I said it was a free kick we launched into the box from quite far out.

And now that I've sat and typed that I've forgotten again who was right! I'm sure it was me?!

in the other thread about long distance goals, i remember hateley hitting it from 40yards with the ball slowly rolling towards goal it bobbles up over the keeper, it was nothing of the sort. 40yard hit that went under the keeper.
Against thistle at firhill? Oops just seen the other thread, that's not how I remember it at all....

I was convinced it was from well outside the box too

In my first Old Firm game (in 1979) Roy Aitken was sent off for a chest high challenge on Ally Dawson. For years I had remembered it as a challenge on John MacDonald until a conversation with Stephen Millar on Rangers archives.

I was sure Goram had an amazing save v Bucharest at Ibrox like the pierre v h one. Cant find it anywhere. Maybe I imagined it lol

Any that come to mind?

This is actually the goal I was going to post about before I read your OP.

I was young at the time and near the front of Hampden which may be the reason for this but: I was certain he scored that goal from just outside the centre circle in their half.

If you asked me for £1 million where the ball was hit I'd say just outside the centre circle and get it wrong.

Orjan Persson's bicycle kick from the edge of the box. At the match, it looked like a rocket that went straight from boot to top corner.
It stayed that way in my mind until I saw it a few years ago and it swerved as much as Nakamura's one against us.

Back