Moments from games that were different than you thought you remember

One that got me recently was when Heart and Hand were doing the greatest games run down.

For the 2-2 Champions League game against Marseille, I could have sworn the McSwegan got the equaliser late on, not got the first to bring us back into the game.

Even checked wiki and UEFA site that night to make sure they were right, but somewhere still in my head its a late equaliser.
I'm the same with that one. Had this debate years ago & then Google proved me wrong

Mo Johnston's overhead kick against Cyprus. I was in the North Stand, towards the Rangers end and I could have sworn he hit it from closer to the angle of the 18 yard box. He was on the edge of the 6 yard box as it turns out.

Alex Miller's half volley at Parkhead from wee Bud's throw-in. In my imagination it was from about 20+ yards when in fact it was just inside the box. can still see it in my minds eye watching it from the Rangers end soaring in from well outside the box.

The 4-4 game against the Yahoos shortly before Wallace got the elbow was one I remembered as being on a cold, sunny day.

It wasn’t. It tipped it down.

When we beat the tims in the penalty shootout,after the celebrations,on the park,for a minute I couldn't understand why their were so many leaving before the trophy presentation.
Another was years before,we beat Kilmarnock away,and it was announced over the tannoy,they had drawn with Morton at the piggery, meaning we'd won the league, unfortunately Gemmell(s a bassa) scored in the 20th minute of added time.so we hadn't.

Gazza getting sent off at the piggery. For years I thought it was the game we lost 2-0 at new year but it was actually a 1-1 draw when negri scored and they equalised right at the end.

Jonas Thern's screamer v the vermin. Footage wasn't as readily available back then, me and my brother argued for years over it. He said it was from a clearance from a corner, I said it was a free kick we launched into the box from quite far out.

And now that I've sat and typed that I've forgotten again who was right! I'm sure it was me?!
I was searching for footage of this goal for years until i realised I'd wasted all that time looking for Stale Stensaas

Bit of a daft one but we all will all have them.

Scrolling through twitter this morning on the way to work and watched a video of Bert Konterman hitting his thunderbastard against the bheasts.

Over the years, my mind has somehow conditioned me to think it was from a lay off from a free kick and not a cut back from open play!

Any that come to mind?
I'm sure he scored against Dundee with a lay off from a free kick.
Although that went in the bottom corner.
I think!

Alex Miller's half volley at Parkhead from wee Bud's throw-in. In my imagination it was from about 20+ yards when in fact it was just inside the box. can still see it in my minds eye watching it from the Rangers end soaring in from well outside the box.

Full volley

Posted this before, but I remember a game at the piggery where Terry Hurlock straight from kick off makes a beeline for that bastard Grant and tears his shorts off. Grant has to go off after 8 seconds in his skid mark stained Ys to get new shorts. Cant find footage anywhere and fellow Bears look at me as if I am a Gerry McNee/Nikla Sturgeon hybrid when I ask them.

I was certain that we won an Old Firm game once and there was no controversy or moaning for days and weeks after it.

Probably mistaken though.

I was convinced we had only lost 2-0 to Ajax! it was only when I got back to the pub in Ruglen & seen the STV news the next day I found out it was 4-1!! (Space cake & Heineken Loyal)

For some reason, I thought kyriakos’ header v Porto in the 3-2 game was much further out than it actually was! I seen a video of the goals on here recently and I couldn’t believe it

Jonas Thern's screamer v the vermin. Footage wasn't as readily available back then, me and my brother argued for years over it. He said it was from a clearance from a corner, I said it was a free kick we launched into the box from quite far out.

And now that I've sat and typed that I've forgotten again who was right! I'm sure it was me?!
That's your brother gubbed, mate. It was a clearance from a free kick. My (then) Mrs and I had gone to northern Denmark for a break. She was up the duff with our first and had a tricky time with her family and needed some time away.

We stayed in a typically nice Scandi-style hotel and had a good lunch. So after 'a wee cuddle' she was snoring like a hippo and I clicked on the telly (sound muted) to see if I could find a Sports channel.

30 seconds in I saw this:

Not boasting much but it was only the 2nd best strike of the day ;)

I wasn’t at this game as I got married this day. 21 / 2 / 1981. We were away at Parkhead. As I was getting married at 4 pm I heard about the first 10 minutes on the radio. Rangers were leading 1/0 when the taxi arrived to take me to the Kirk. After the wedding walking out the Kirk I asked a friend what the score was. He said we lost 2/1. It was only 2 year ago that I found out it was 3/1.

Left thinking Klos had scored a header at Tannadice when i think it was actually Namouchi?

Watching the rangers archives most of the lower league stuff I feel like I’m watching for the first time despite being at every game

I always thought Amo's free kick in the 4-2 took two deflections. I was absolute sure of it and argued it did many a time.
Watched it the other day and saw it only took one deflection.

I was convinced that Laudrup’s goal in the 3-3 game against Them was hit from outside the area - he was closer to the 6 yard box than anything!

For years afterwards I recalled the Ehiogu goal at the Stade de Gadd as a late winner- not stoppage time late, but certainly last 10/15mins or so.

It was actually in the 50th minute.

Chris Woods penalty miss. Always been convinced it was in the 8-0 cup game against Stranraer in '89, not the European Cup game against Valletta in '90.

Remember against the Mhanks at Ibrox Goram kicking the ball off Di Canios back 3 times as he was walking away, Di Canio was going absolutely mental after the first one, Giram shrugged his shoulders and mockingly apologised only to do it again. Nobody round about me saw it as they were all looking back up the pitch. Now I’m not sure if it even happened once never mind twice or three times:oops:

edit
Now I’m thinking back I’m sure there was some footage of the incident but I think they only caught the last time he hit him:cool:;)

One that always sticks in my mind is Derek Johnstone's bullet header against Wales.

I always thoutght that was way further out than it actually was (someone on FF managed to find a clip a few years back). Still one of the best and most powerful headers you're ever likely to witness but not as far out as I'd always believed.
Yip as I recalled it he scored from just outside Mt Florida station!!

Remember against the Mhanks at Ibrox Goram kicking the ball off Di Canios back 3 times as he was walking away, Di Canio was going absolutely mental after the first one, Giram shrugged his shoulders and mockingly apologised only to do it again. Nobody round about me saw it as they were all looking back up the pitch. Now I’m not sure if it even happened once never mind twice or three times:oops:

edit
Now I’m thinking back I’m sure there was some footage of the incident but I think they only caught the last time he hit him:cool:;)
Definitely happened. Hit him twice

I watch games from the past that I attended but literally cannot remember anything about them, on the other hand there are games where I remember every detail.

It really is bizarre.
I seem to remember the good things that happen in games , like when we won at the paedodome and miko and kutnetzov scored but forgot they scored 2.Their mainstand fans were giving the board abuse.
My memory is really bad.
Again at their ground when Alex Miller scored late on I couldnt tell you who scored the other 2 goals but I do remember it was 2-1

My first ever trip to Ibrox, we beat Aberdeen one nil with a goal from McCoist.

Everything I remember isn't probably the way it happened. I was star struck, gobsmacked at how amazing Ibrox and the pitch looked under the lights. Every pass of the ball was dynamite.

In reality, we probably played average and nicked it.

McSwegans header v Marseille

I would have bet my life that it was outside the box he curled that header in from

In reality is was just past the penalty spot

I was right behind him in the West Enclosure and he DID curl it into the far corner with his head.

It was Roberto Carlos-esque.

One was the game where we beat Bayern at Ibrox on the way to Barcelona. In my mind this game was played under floodlights but a recent thread on here showed I was wrong.

edit
There is footage where you hear the crowd going berserk laughing at this happening but I don’t think Goram hitting him with the ball was captured anywhere... which is a great shame.

If it wasn't for the video footage, I'd have sworn that we were playing Partick Thistle when Gazza got booked for showing the ref the yellow card.

edit

;-)

Game against Motherwell in 2009 and Kris Boyd hit a half volley from about 25 yards out. At the game I was in the Club Deck and I honestly thought it was from 45 yards until I saw it later on when I got home.

The one that is always a bit strange for me is when people talk about the Kahn incident with Mols. Some people talk like its similar to Simpson on Durrant when in reality its a perfectly legitimate tackle.

The Nikica Jelavic goal in the CIS cup final.
I always thought it hit one post curled out over the line, hit the other post and then went in.
It actually hits the post curls out and crosses the line without hitting the far post.
Must have been drunker than I thought.

Same game. Davis goal. I thought it was a Carbon copy of the one at Ibrox, sliding in at back post to knock it in. Turns out it was a left footed shot from outside the box. Was stunned when watching it back :D

To this day I swear that when Duncan Ferguson went to head butt Willie McStay he did not actually connect with him. I vividly remember seeing daylight between their heads.

Back