More cuts at the Herald and Evening Times

They are rightly taking advantage of the Government's scheme. It is designed to assist Companies who are on the breadline.

Chris will be happy, these other two scribes will be scrapping and scurrying about looking for titbit Shite to put to print.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works there who will lose a significant portion of their income due to what is going on.

Forgive me if I take no pleasure from this news.

"Shops are closing. Newspaper sales are falling. But we’ve chosen to keep our online journalism free because it’s so important that the people of Glasgow stay informed during this crisis.

To help us get through this, we’re asking readers who can afford it to contribute either £3, £5 or £8 a month to the Glasgow Times.

If you choose to sign up, we’ll also take away all the adverts – and deliver a digital version of the print paper to your device.
Click here to help Save Your Times: www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/subscribe"

Chris Jack, who covers Rangers for the Herald and Evening Times, is the highest profile victim of the lay-offs at the two papers. He has been put on the UK Government furlough scheme and will be paid 80% of his salary by the UK Government for the next three months. There are now only two sports journos covering for both the Herald and Evening Times, Graeme McGarry and Matthew Lindsay. And they have also had their salaries slashed.

No surprise Jack was singled out by the rabid SNP supporting hierarchy in there.

this is a company, and there are many, taking advantage of the government paying staff wages.

Shame about Chris Jack losing his job only real articles a read from the paper because it was Rangers related.

I know Matthew Lindsay well we were members of the same golf club played a few rounds with him. Was a good guy but recently appears to be taking the hollicom coin nowadays with the tripe he has been putting his name to probably the only reason he is still there.

Last edited:
Sad for Chris but he writes with a balance and quality that others in the MSM could only dream of.
Newspapers as we know them are heading for the dustbin.
Pretty sure there is a brighter future ahead for Chris.

ETutrDVWAAEWtxg

Scandalous.
Wow !!
Is that for real ??

No way man.

While I have sympathy for Chris, and generally don't like to see folks lose their jobs I am overcome with apathy regarding the future of these two rags. Would be happy to see the demise of these propaganda pamphlets. In short fck them.

Chris Jack, who covers Rangers for the Herald and Evening Times, is the highest profile victim of the lay-offs at the two papers. He has been put on the UK Government furlough scheme and will be paid 80% of his salary by the UK Government for the next three months. There are now only two sports journos covering for both the Herald and Evening Times, Graeme McGarry and Matthew Lindsay. And they have also had their salaries slashed.

No surprise Jack was singled out by the rabid SNP supporting hierarchy in there.

From the ACAS website, Furloughed workers
The employer needs to get agreement from the employee to do this, unless it’s covered by a clause in the employment contract. They also need to select employees in a fair way to avoid any discrimination.

Just saying like.

No different to the other red tops in their click bait, e.g. 'violent assault outside popular Rangers bar'.

On a day when no football is on and nothing to do with the bar.

That news group really has a problem with orange walks as well going back years but given their nationalist bias it's to be expected.

Too right.

I'd love to see these vicious organisations go out of business.

If you think the standard of football journalism is bad right now (and it's fucking terrible up here) then it's likely to get even worse. Expect more click bait shite and stories lifted directly from forums with no actual journalism.

WTF you been for the last 25 years?

:eek::eek::eek:

If you think the standard of football journalism is bad right now (and it's fucking terrible up here) then it's likely to get even worse. Expect more click bait shite and stories lifted directly from forums with no actual journalism.

it can't get any worse

Shame for Chris but journalism is dying. Until traditional written journalists begin to move with the times they are going to be a dying breed.

Hopefully Chris Jack can go on to better things.
As for the rest your time is running out, tick tock.

I'm surprised the Evening Times is still going.
My flatmate worked the herald / evening times back in the mid 90s. They wanted to bin the Evening times then but thought there would be a backlash from the 'oh the banter' brigade that would affect heralds sales so chickened out of it. The last time I bought the evening times is was about half full of small ads selling fridges, bikes and dogs.

Papers ran by poets its no shock they pick Chris! How dare he write or even think to write positivity about Rangers the club they all wanted dead so f.ucking bad.... whilst all the dirty rattlers have free reign to print the shite we see in a daily basis! They will be rhabid dhogs now that Dave King has stepped down writing more lies and doom. Good luck Chris i hope you find your feet and get back soon.

"Shops are closing. Newspaper sales are falling. But we’ve chosen to keep our online journalism free because it’s so important that the people of Glasgow stay informed during this crisis.

To help us get through this, we’re asking readers who can afford it to contribute either £3, £5 or £8 a month to the Glasgow Times.

If you choose to sign up, we’ll also take away all the adverts – and deliver a digital version of the print paper to your device.
Click here to help Save Your Times: www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/subscribe"
Shower of chancers that’s a subscription membership

The print press is nearly dead.

There is a growing vacuum waiting to be filled.

The club should be exploiting this by completely overhauling its own media operation.

They could recruit Chris Jack for a start. There‘s loads of guys on here who’d love to write about the history of the club and counter the increasing anti-Rangers bias of the past few decades.

The alternative is allowing BBC Scotland to have even more influence.

Back