More reasons why Azerbaijan shouldn't have been awarded the EL final

giphy.gif

Excellent read. Non football reasons in play when allocating them the final. Nothing short of a disgrace.

To be fair the other two stadia - Seville and Istanbul - are nearly 30k less capacity which would create other problems. Uefa should insist that all finals are played in at least 50k capacity grounds, ideally 60k+

EDIT - I do appreciate that the OP concerns matters much important than Stadium capacity, this was more a general comment on future final venues.

To be fair the other two stadia - Seville and Istanbul - are nearly 30k less capacity which would create other problems. Uefa should insist that all finals are played in at least 50k capacity grounds, ideally 60k+

As Arsenal and Chelsea are only getting 6000 tickets each for fans, a 30000 capacity stadium would still be able to offer 18000 seats for sponsors and various hangers on/friends of friends etc.

I agree with Piers and Suzzana on GMB this morning...
If UEFA can't guarantee the safety of players and supporters then maybe BOTH teams should withdraw.

Play the game at Wembley - Re-emburse fans who have forked out to go to Baku already from the extra £££ made from a vastly increased attendance.

Imagine if we'd have got there to be told Alfie and sections of our support ain't allowed in?

UEFA - Just ain't fit for purpose.

Russia has been given finals yet they have committed far greater atrocities than Azerbaijan over the years. Heck, they even hosted the World Cup. They are at war with the Ukraine, having annexed Ukraine territory. This comes down to money, like so many of the other evils in the modern game. I don’t hear the English mhedia ranting and raving about the owners of man city and all their atrocities.

One is a corrupt, money hungry, borderline facist outfit. The other one is Azerbaijan
And the Champions League final next year is in .... Istanbul :D

Another bastion of transparency, equality and tolerance. People look back at 1936 and wonder who in their right mind would sanction the Olympics to be hosted by Nazi Germany but I bet if those guys could see into the future they’d be pissing themselves at the progressive level headed regimes of Qatar, Azerbaijan and Turkey hosting major sporting events

Olympics should always have been in Athens with the competing nations contributing annually to the facilities...one huge 'Olympic Park'.

They should wait until the quarter finals and then select a shortlist list of possible venues based on whose still there,there are 3 massive stadiums in London they could use and they send these two teams to Azerbaijan it’s bonkers

The theory is that these remote areas won't get any teams near a final any time soon so this way they get to see the 'stars' up close.

You have this then the brilliant idea to have the 2022 world cup in Qatar, no footballs governing heads aren't corrupt

Saw something about the Azerbaijan hatred of Armenia online and this guy got a mention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramil_Safarov

Azerbaijan military, murdered an Armenian at a NATO seminar in Hungary, sent back to Azerbaijan to complete his jail term and they greated him as a hero, released him, promoted him to Major, and gave him his back pay for his time in prison.

Russia has been given finals yet they have committed far greater atrocities than Azerbaijan over the years. Heck, they even hosted the World Cup. They are at war with the Ukraine, having annexed Ukraine territory. This comes down to money, like so many of the other evils in the modern game. I don’t hear the English mhedia ranting and raving about the owners of man city and all their atrocities.

At least Russia guaranteed the safety of players and amended the Visa requirements.

I wouldn't have gave it to them but they did much more to accommodate fans and players than Azerbaijan has.

Another ancient people who have been blown to the four corners of the World by pogroms and the coming and going of empires.

And of course officially you're not to mention the Holocaust the Turks carried out on them as it is so 'delicate' that the Turks won't even have talks with nations who openly state it happened.

The theory is that these remote areas won't get any teams near a final any time soon so this way they get to see the 'stars' up close.

I agree with sending tournaments to places that traditionally aren't big footballing countries but there has to be at least some infrastructure and reasons behind it. Baku is just a terrible choice for multiple reasons. There is literally not one good reason for hosting it from a fans POV.

I also suspect UEFA don't like large away supports and will try and further discourage them as the years go by. It's really just us Brits and the Germans...I can see UEFA eventually saying "Local Chelsea and Arsenal fans can attend this wonderful game in Ghana"...

(Tongue in cheek, I know Ghana is in South America)

Call me cynical. None of this was discussed before Arsenal and Chelsea, with their prima donna air of superiority, discovered they would have to go there.

The Bears amongst a dozens of other supports would not have batted an eye lid.

Russia has been given finals yet they have committed far greater atrocities than Azerbaijan over the years. Heck, they even hosted the World Cup. They are at war with the Ukraine, having annexed Ukraine territory. This comes down to money, like so many of the other evils. I don’t hear the English mhedia ranting and raving about the owners of man city and all their atrocities.
At least Russia guaranteed the safety of players and amended the Visa requirements.

I wouldn't have gave it to them but they did much more to accommodate fans and players than Azerbaijan has.
Unless you’re Ukrainian.

Russia has been given finals yet they have committed far greater atrocities than Azerbaijan over the years. Heck, they even hosted the World Cup. They are at war with the Ukraine, having annexed Ukraine territory. This comes down to money, like so many of the other evils. I don’t hear the English mhedia ranting and raving about the owners of man city and all their atrocities.

Unless you’re Ukrainian.
The people of Donbass want to be Russian, same with many Tatars in Crimea.

The people of Donbass want to be Russian, same with many Tatars in Crimea.
So that merits a hostile invasion by foreign troops, in what can only be described as an act of war? Where’s the democracy there?

Also, there may be a majority but it’s by no means everyone. What right do Russia have to do what they have done?

I also suspect UEFA don't like large away supports and will try and further discourage them as the years go by. It's really just us Brits and the Germans...I can see UEFA eventually saying "Local Chelsea and Arsenal fans can attend this wonderful game in Ghana"...

(Tongue in cheek, I know Ghana is in South America)

Ghana tell us your kidding.

UEFA are a vile organisation led completely by cash. Some of the decisions they make, purely for money, are utterly disgusting. Just a shame someone can't take the power away from them to make some of these decisions. There should be a minimum criteria for the host nations and cities. A vote should be held and if there are obvious things like players not going to be allowed into the country or their lives are in danger then simply put - that country is 100% out there and then.

UEFA have enough money to buy a wee enclave or territory, build 8 stadiums with Hotels, bars and restaurants and a airport with a wee monorail into 'town'
We shall name it...Blatteronia and will host all football tournaments and finals

I think there's a couple of issues - firstly the stuff with Armenia. if Armenian players are unable to play in the country then Azerbaijan shouldn't be allowed in UEFA competitions full stop. Let alone hosting the final.

The other point, however, would be about the location, and while Azerbaijan, Armenia, Khazakstan, Israel, etc are in UEFA they should all be able to apply for and host finals.

So that merits a hostile invasion by foreign troops, in what can only be described as an act of war? Where’s the democracy there?

Also, there may be a majority but it’s by no means everyone. What right do Russia have to do what they have done?
What about the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan by ourselves and them nasty Americans or the ethnic cleansing and slaughter of native Americans and the theft of their lands.
My point really is that every where you look there are wars and atrocities perpetrated by other more powerful nations,and your selective faux horror and outrage towards certain countries and not all is a bit nauseating to be honest.

What about the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan by ourselves and them nasty Americans or the ethnic cleansing and slaughter of native Americans and the theft of their lands.
My point really is that every where you look there are wars and atrocities perpetrated by other more powerful nations,and your selective faux horror and outrage towards certain countries and not all is a bit nauseating to be honest.
Where have I selectively excused certain countries? Your post makes no sense. I haven’t quoted you and it’s as if you are trying to quote another post, so little sense does your riposte make.

I have merely said, on this matter in yet another thread on the subject, Chelsea and Arsenal should be absolutely embarrassed at their woeful supports.

By your logic we should just stop playing football then as Britain have had an empire and invaded others or do we just turn a blind eye to it all (judging by your vehement defence of manchester city, I’m guessing the latter?)

If Rangers were in the final, the tickets would be like gold dust and the scramble would be incredible. There would be none of this complaining that the game shouldn’t be there. It’s obviously just too much to expect these pampered English clubs and their rich fans to be put out by having to travel further than France.

Where have I selectively excused certain countries? Your post makes no sense. I haven’t quoted you and it’s as if you are trying to quote another post, so little sense does your riposte make.

I have merely said, on this matter in yet another thread on the subject, Chelsea and Arsenal should be absolutely embarrassed at their woeful supports.

By your logic we should just stop playing football then as Britain have had an empire and invaded others or do we just turn a blind eye to it all (judging by your vehement defence of manchester city, I’m guessing the latter?)

If Rangers were in the final, the tickets would be like gold dust and the scramble would be incredible. There would be none of this complaining that the game shouldn’t be there. It’s obviously just too much to expect these pampered English clubs and their rich fans to be put out by having to travel further than France.
No actually that's your logic,every chance you get your banging on about owners of other clubs for alleged misdeeds of their countries.
I'm merely pointing out your hypocrisy,which is my point.
All the rest of your post is your usual pish, which is par for the course with you,and no doubt your of to the final of the CL with the rest of the pampered English club you follow on tv lol.

The old USSR used to participate in UEFA club and international competitions. After the break up of the USSR in the early 90s all of the newly independent former Soviet satellite states (including Azerbaijan) were all given UEFA membership, even all the "stans" from the east and they are about as European as the Outer Mongolians.

Last edited:
No actually that's your logic,every chance you get your banging on about owners of other clubs for alleged misdeeds of their countries.
I'm merely pointing out your hypocrisy,which is my point.
All the rest of your post is your usual pish, which is par for the course with you,and no doubt your of to the final of the CL with the rest of the pampered English club you follow on tv lol.
You don’t even make sense.

The owners of Man City are the country.

Anyway, at least by now we know that whatever you try and say, you clearly support man city.

Anyway, at least by now we know that whatever you try and say, you clearly support man city.

That’s like the modern day mentally challenged saying an opinion doesn’t count if you are a Rangers supporter.
It really is worrying the uncanny resemblance you have to all things poet.

Personally I think UEFA should just build a stadium final and teams complex - hotel , European walkway to the stadium decorated with iconic moments from past tournaments etc

Structured like the stars on a champions league ball for the outside , lighting up with both teams colours who are there , fan zones round about it to generate an atmosphere

A big 90,000 belter in Switzerland or where ever their headquarters are and play the finals there, everyone knows where to book for to pre plan , fans can get 30,000 fans each plus 30,000 for the corpy wankers ( it should be 40,000 each but wouldn’t happen )

Lol, the old it's ok to condemn one country's human rights record but not denounce the owners from other countries like America bombing and killing innocents but their blood money is ok?
As I said hypocrisy.
Told you before I support Chelsea, I go and watch them a couple of times a season and watch Linfield my local team I'm a season ticket holder with hospitality seats. As well as Rangers,so I actually support the clubs rather than behave like a jealous angry bloke on the internet.
Their are a few posters on here who know me well and will confirm who I follow.

Lol, the old it's ok to condemn one country's human rights record but not denounce the owners from other countries like America bombing and killing innocents but their blood money is ok?
As I said hypocrisy.
Told you before I support Chelsea, I go and watch them a couple of times a season and watch Linfield my local team I'm a season ticket holder with hospitality seats. As well as Rangers,so I actually support the clubs rather than behave like a jealous angry bloke on the internet.
Their are a few posters on here who know me well and will confirm who I follow.

I don’t think he’s ever been to Anfield, mate.

Last edited:
Back