More VAR idiocy in Ligue 1

An incorrect VAR call, depends what your talking about? I don't think it should be used for everything. Penalty decisions shouldn't be imo. Referee on field decision should how it's done. No amount of replays can change someones opinion of a tackle against someone else's opinion of the same tackle

Not sure if you're serious?

You don't think VAR should be used for penalty decisions? What if the referee doesn't see it fully, then gets the chance to review it on screen and sees it was in fact a penalty?

Yes, it was ridiculous. So let’s not accept it as though it’s a system brought down from Heaven by God.
It had nothing to do with VAR, it was handball. The VAR only told the referee it had happened

After the month we've had VAR cannot come soon enough. We've been on the end of horrendous decisions at Pittodrie, Hampden and Parkhead. These decisions can cost you titles.

And we’ve never benefited from decisions. Never. And VAR would still make bad decisions anyway. And any benefits from it are outweighed by the negatives. Yes, let’s sign up to it.

Not sure if you're serious?

You don't think VAR should be used for penalty decisions? What if the referee doesn't see it fully, then gets the chance to review it on screen and sees it was in fact a penalty?
If they changed the way they used it and allowed the ref to go to the monitor then aye that would be better. I just don't like the way the ref is giving a penalty against his original decision on the say so of the guy watching the monitor.

Debates by people that you've already cited as having an agenda, by which I've taken to mean people in the media and not the people making the decision.

Julien is objectively, fundamentally offside, regardless of what Sutton, the official at the time or you think.

And yet objectively, fundamentally wrong decisions get made on VAR.

And we’ve never benefited from decisions. Never. And VAR would still make bad decisions anyway. And any benefits from it are outweighed by the negatives. Yes, let’s sign up to it.

Our manager is desperate for it and others including McInnes have called for it too. I think it'll happen and hopefully for next season. One club seem to be against it, hmmmm, I wonder why....

Last edited:
Want this kind of football,go play it on a screen. If you actually go to football, I really dont see what the benefit of this is. The games being going for 150 years and this thing is the biggest threat to the enjoyment of the paying punter. Even the thought of holding back when your team scores, which is the most enjoyable part of being at the game is enough as far as I'm concerned and yes I do have an agenda against it. Ball over the line is enough technology for the great game.

Want this kind of football,go play it on a screen. If you actually go to football, I really dont see what the benefit of this is. The games being going for 150 years and this thing is the biggest threat to the enjoyment of the paying punter. Even the thought of holding back when your team scores, which is the most enjoyable part of being at the game is enough as far as I'm concerned and yes I do have an agenda against it. Ball over the line is enough technology for the great game.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think football is, and what it is for:

1. A game of human error, stories, narrative, mistakes.

2. A game of rigorous rule adherence.

I'm deeply ambivalent about the whole thing but some of the misinterpretations that people have about it are just bonkers.

A second watch should automatically start the second the referee indicates a stop in play or the ball is out of play. 30 seconds for a yellow card, 30 second per sub or whatever the rule is. This should be visible to the fans as well where possible.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think football is, and what it is for:

1. A game of human error, stories, narrative, mistakes.

2. A game of rigorous rule adherence.

I'm deeply ambivalent about the whole thing but some of the misinterpretations that people have about it are just bonkers.
It was always been about more than what just happens on the pitch to me. Family thing, made really good friends through it and plenty of other good rangers fans, especially when travelling abroad. Its actually a big part of my life and always has been for as long as I can remember.

I'm not against technology as such. Apart from the goal line ruling, I don't think it has a place in the game. Some of the great memories I have is going mental with my mates and guys I've never met before and have never met since,when we score,example, loverkrands in the cup final. Would have taken so much of that moment away if it was delayed to check if the goal was legit . It's all part of the package for me and as far as I'm concerned var is taking that aspect away from the game.

Sadly I expect its here to stay, but the game is losing something with the indrotuction of this.

Back