More VAR idiocy in Ligue 1

Sorry but I am now at a point where I think I can’t watch and won’t watch any league that implements this utter dross and farce of a system.

Monaco - PSG

checking the first goal for offside and it takes over 3 minutes - referee adds on 1 minute of injury time/additional time. Now not only are the fans being done here but that amount time impacts a game and either they stop the clock or they ditch it.

Secondly PSG get a penalty! Never a penalty - result PSG penalty! It’s just a total joke.

We should remember that VAR is in its infancy and is an evolving tool.

Remember how shïte and poorly responsive touch screens were at the beginning (digital cameras, phones, atms etc).
Now some of them you hardly even need to touch it..... motion is enough and response is rapid!

VAR is the way forward.

Which is the point of VAR. Bewildering that it wasn't used.

Correct! But VAR isn’t the issue in this instance. It’s how it was (or wasn’t) utilised.

Said on the other thread... it is the way forward and it will come good. All technology improves fairly swiftly and efficiently. VAR will be no different imo.

Last edited:

Remember how shïte and poorly responsive touch screens were at the beginning (digital cameras, phones, atms etc).
Now some of them you hardly even need to touch it..... motion is enough and response is rapid!

VAR is the way forward.

You serious

Correct! But VAR isn’t the issue in this instance. It’s how it was (or wasn’t) utilised.

Said on the other thread... it is the way forward and it will come good. All technology improves fairly swiftly and efficiently. VAR will be know different imo.
Nothing is ever perfect as VAR will not be but it it will be a damn site better than losing cups through offside goals.

yeah but it will mean an end to scottish refs cheating they will have nowhere to hide they will have to be honest and stop going out to corrupt our games and help the tims.

Haven't seen it but I'm assuming it wasn't deemed as a 'clear and obvious' error from the ref?

VAR is here to stay I just think they need to change the rules surrounding it in order to improve.

I even think they should stop the clock when there's a VAR review.

Nothing is ever perfect as VAR will not be but it it will be a damn site better than losing cups through offside goals.

Nicely put!

If we had VAR here, we’d highly likely have a trophy in our cabinet rather than it being in the tims cabinet.

I’m not a fan of VAR in its current form. However, it will get better, it’ll be utilised better and is the way forward.

VAR is the way forward.
Thats part of the worry.

Var on it’s 3rd season in Oz and it’s still shite. Taking passion out of the game. Oh ayegreat if you win a game because of it no so good if you get beat. End of the day it’s still about someone’s opinion. At this present time killing our game.

No matter how good VAR gets remember in this country it is the same old agenda driven refs that will make the decisions.

And this gets conveniently ignored at every turn. The statement above that we wouldn't lose cups through offside, nothing would change, it would be ignored, a minor talking point after the game then we move on.

It actually shows how moronic referees are across the board. Even with the support of multiple replays and angles, they still manage to apply the laws of the game on a hugely inconsistent basis and make glaring mistakes.

The offside law needs looking at, similar with handball, the technology works fine but the idiots making the decisions remain idiots.

It will be interesting to see how England review the set up during the summer. It has caused as much controversy as it has resolved this season.

A lot of wrongs have been corrected but equally there have been other obvious wrongs that haven’t been challenged.

‘And holding the game up for three minutes while they decide if somebody’s pube was offside or not is driving folks crazy.

But there is no doubt. It is coming. However anybody who thinks it’ll resolve all our issues with the refs is kidding themselves. There will still be huge questions over what is or is not acted on. At least they won’t be able to claim that they didn’t see stuff.

e.g. It would be harder for Clancy to give Juliet a penalty but deny Aribo the same. And browns new disciplinary record would make Alfie’s look positively angelic.

Haven't seen it but I'm assuming it wasn't deemed as a 'clear and obvious' error from the ref?

VAR is here to stay I just think they need to change the rules surrounding it in order to improve.

I even think they should stop the clock when there's a VAR review.
Agree. I’m warming to the whole idea of VAR. Its the way it’s implemented by some leagues at the moment that will take time.

The clock is another discussion completely. I think it should stop every time play stops and drop the half’s to 30 mins of play. Would cut out time wasting and injury time being wrong.

In it's current form, I've mixed feelings on VAR. Hopefully by the time (if) it reaches the SPL then it's a lot slicker.

And this gets conveniently ignored at every turn. The statement above that we wouldn't lose cups through offside, nothing would change, it would be ignored, a minor talking point after the game then we move on.

You sound like a paranoid tim.

They simply couldn't ignore the offside goal in the final fs.

The France penalty against Croatia summed it up. It's to give a cloak of respectability to bad decisions and bad officials.

I'm amazed that our club, and some of our fans, think it would work in Scotland.

People sticking up for it amazes me. It has added nothing to the game.

I still think the crowd should be able to watch decisions on the big screens as in Rugby. If you are at home you can watch the replays time and again so the only people who are in the dark over the decision are the people who have paid good money to get into the stadium and the players. That is crazy to me.

That is just not true. Many bad decisions have been corrected.

Many, many more decisions go unchanged or wrongly given.

There have been a good few stonewallers that weren't given even after looking at it through VAR because it "didn't reach the bar of clear and obvious".

It's making football unwatchable.

People sticking up for it amazes me. It has added nothing to the game.

The amount of debate around VAR decisions is conclusive proof that the system doesn't work. It does not offer a definitive answer like goal-line technology goes. It creates ambiguity, affects the spectacle of the game and the celebration of goals with no significant benefit. It's an appalling system.

yeah but it will mean an end to scottish refs cheating they will have nowhere to hide they will have to be honest and stop going out to corrupt our games and help the tims.

What a load of nonsense.

With all due respect, this is just a lazy opinion. VAR and the process also offers refs many outs. Whether it be not changing their mind or overturning something even when the evidence is staring them in the face.

That is just not true. Many bad decisions have been corrected.
Yes but football flows. It is nothing like a set piece game (American Football, rugby etc). Also it is emotional because goals are hard to come by (not 98-94 like basketball). People don't want to stand for 4 minutes to see if their team has actually scored. AND crucially most decisions are not clear and obvious, but instead rely on 10 replays from every angle...NOT what anyone wanted or thought they were getting.

Yes but football flows. It is nothing like a set piece game (American Football, rugby etc). Also it is emotional because goals are hard to come by (not 98-94 like basketball). People don't want to stand for 4 minutes to see if their team has actually scored. AND crucially most decisions are not clear and obvious, but instead rely on 10 replays from every angle...NOT what anyone wanted or thought they were getting.

Agree with all of this.
Seen a game between Valladolid and Real Madrid last season and Valladolid scored a goal and place went bananas, ruled out by VAR, scores again place went slightly less mental.....ruled out by VAR.
Scored yet again and the stadium hardly celebrated. Waited till it was given the all clear by VAR. That’s not what football is about.

VAR is the way forward.
Its not the technology thats the problem.

Agree with all of this.
Seen a game between Valladolid and Real Madrid last season and Valladolid scored a goal and place went bananas, ruled out by VAR, scores again place went slightly less mental.....ruled out by VAR.
Scored yet again and the stadium hardly celebrated. Waited till it was given the all clear by VAR. That’s not what football is about.
That's my worry with VAR and if it wasn't for bent officials like Clancy I'd be against it. If they showed some sense and punished refs like this I'd say leave VAR. If we had VAR in that game it would have been interesting to see how he justified his decisions. I actually suspect he'd only have looked back at decisions that might have been detrimental to Rangers. He didn't care who knew he was cheating. To think the media thought he was good tells you all you need to know.

Of course my hope is that the rubbish refs get their decisions right with this, and that bent refs are driven from the game. In Scotland I'm not so sure this would happen.

The question or debate for me is will it clean up the game in Scotland?

You sound like a paranoid tim.

They simply couldn't ignore the offside goal in the final fs.
They already are ignoring the offside goal in some cases.

Quite a few pundits have described it as "inconclusive" after seeing the replays. That's all it needs for the on field decision to stand.

Do away with it bar offside and handball. A man at the ground flags missed offsides and handballs nothing else.

Set a clear and simple precedent for how offsides are called with var and sort out the handball rule then keep it to simple fact based evidence like goal line technology and it will work just fine.

Everything else should go the old fashioned way.

When that is established and works well, maybe then it can be enhanced further. Atm its too much too soon but its being implemented like practice at the highest and most costly/expensive level of the game which shouldn't be allowed.

Back