Morelos current form

Only when roofe is in central position

Total waste to have him out wide , offers little out there , needs to be played through the middle

I’ve said it before , it’s unfortunately proved a bad gamble not to take the money for Morelos last season, we won’t be getting that level of money for him again, so we’re stuck with formation all setup for him , yet his goal scoring record is poor, drops far too deep and we keep holding out for the hope he will start taking the chances / look like the player he was
How has it proved a bad gamble to not take the money for him last season? We won the league! Worst case scenario is that we sell for slightly less than the £17m that Lille offered. However, his value is more likely to increase if we qualify for CL group stage. He's tailor-made for European football so I think he'll score goals at that level.

I can't possibly see how it has proved a bad gamble to keep our best striker at the club.

He was never dreadful.

Honest to god , this must be the most negative football forum on the internet.

Top of the league by 6 points after 7 games (we all know Celtic are our only challengers) and in the semi final of the league cup.

Yet everyday we have poster on here saying our players are rotten, shite whatever.

Place is full negativity to the point where it's embarrassing
They have been starved of moaning for over a year, they need to get it out their system.

Our forward players are making far more mistakes and poor performances than the defence.

Due to the lack of goals the spotlight then shifts to the defence when in fact the final third is definitely the problem area.

'Defensive issues' are a red herring.
I think we need to be better in the final third but I'm not sure that the forward players are making more mistakes. We have been too safe going forward this season and a lot of our play has been in front of the opposition defence. I don't mind mistakes from our creative or attacking players as it usually means we have tried something.

Edit: I don't mind mistakes if it is a genuine attempt to create something, not sloppiness or something that's utterly ridiculous.

I dont like this seasons version of Morelos, bang average at best, zero hunger to get in the box and score goals, also hes had plenty of chances that's hes missed. He needs to get back to being a bully boy, sniffing out half chances and putting the ball in the net on a regular basis

Morelos had to miss starting a game within the last 10 days because of a hamstring tweak.

One of many players who hasn't had a proper pre-season trying to play through slight knocks to hit fitness and form whilst doing a job for the team.

Some folk need to reign in their bellyaching.

We just aren't quite at it all over the pitch. Morelos is sluggish. Roofe is still scoring regularly but isn't particularly playing very well. Hagi had a great impact against Livi but was as bad as anyone at Dundee.

We are just so lacklustre all over the pitch just now. Nobody is playing well consistently.

It shows you how important Kent is for us. We don't quite look as fluent in the final third this season and he has been injured and carrying knocks for most of the season. That's no coincidence.

I think we need to be better in the final third but I'm not sure that the forward players are making more mistakes. We have been too safe going forward this season and a lot of our play has been in front of the opposition defence. I don't mind mistakes from our creative or attacking players as it usually means we have tried something.

Edit: I don't mind mistakes if it is a genuine attempt to create something, not sloppiness or something that's utterly ridiculous.
On mistakes, I guess I am meaning sloppiness, poor movement, poor ball control, losing possession, not troubling the keeper, weak shooting, lack of composure etc.

We have seen loads of this this season from our players in the final third.

That is far more of a concern to me than any defensive issues we may have mate.

He has added a lot more to his game in the last couple of years, his link up play and the way he drops deep to allow others to run into space is an essential part of our system

There is no doubt he has lost a bit of an edge to his game. He used to be extremely physical and dominant which you don’t really see now. When he improved his discipline he also seemed to lose a bit of his spark.

He is maybe at the stage now where he needs to move to a stronger league to give himself a new challenge

What did we win in 2019/20?

The Alfredo of 2020/21 changed his role and helped us win the league and our EL section. He's playing in a similar role this season and we're top of the league. He's sacrificing the amount of goals he scores on Gerrard's instructions for the good of the overall team, plus the team is set up differently, which also impacts his goal scoring.

We didn't fail to win trophies because the way Morelos played though. Our issue then is that was relied on him for absolutely everything and if we was off the boil then we struggled.

We didn't fail to win trophies because the way Morelos played though. Our issue then is that was relied on him for absolutely everything and if we was off the boil then we struggled.
Yes, and now we've changed the way that we play, which means we don't rely on him so much, particularly as he's not in the same positions to score as many goals, so the whole team benefits but Morelos doesn't score as many as his role has changed.

I’m actually more concerned with Roofe
I'm a massive fan of roofe and always said if he is fit he should start but i agree its jist not working for him or alfie just now. The ball isnt sticking with either of them and they are not getting in behind the defences enough.

I'm a massive fan of roofe and always said if he is fit he should start but i agree its jist not working for him or alfie just now. The ball isnt sticking with either of them and they are not getting in behind the defences enough.

They both scored in the same game like less than a week ago.

They both scored in the same game like less than a week ago.
I know that but you cant be telling me either of them are in top form just now. I also understand its hard playing against the packed defenses we come up against but we know they can play better. Hopefully it clicks again this week for them both.

Yes mate. I hold all the cash and dictate where it goes ;)

The demand for the lad will clearly have dropped.

As will his value.

We'd be getting nothing like £16m if we were selling today.

There are certain opinions that must never be aired on here. Alfie playing crap is one of them. In my opinion no one is buying Morelos at the moment.

There are certain opinions that must never be aired on here. Alfie playing crap is one of them. In my opinion no one is buying Morelos at the moment.
Agreed mate.

I certainly don't feel any clamour from the outside to start any kind of bidding war for the lad. I'd say that ship had well and truly sailed.

If he wants his move to a top league then he will really have to go on quite a run of top form. Right now, i'm not seeing that.

Lille's £16m will prove to be absolute peak imo.

Seems to have slimmed down a lot and maybe lost a bit of his power and strength.

Linking the play really well and spreading the ball wide. I think he's doing fine and his goal last week v livi and assist at the weekend will do him the world of good.
His physique has changed a lot since 2019. Back then he had the strength but also the stamina and sharpness. He was way more trim. I think that plays a big part in all honesty. The talent is still there as his assist on Saturday shows.

Is he fat or not?

A shadow of the Alfie that put Porto & Feyenoord to the sword IMO.

Nice assist on Sunday but am not that keen on seeing him outside the box, including on the wing!

He looks a bit sluggish to me & we need the old Alfie back firing on all cylinders if we’re to get out of the EL groups.
Lost the wee burst of pace.
Antwerp at home when he put the ball right, he went left, squared for Kent, goal.
Someone post it?

I agree with that too, although thats probably more a midfield issue.

Yes. This was aimed at our generally slow methodical build up play. We very rarely catch teams out with fast attacking play. Just about every move we make involves Goldson.

Morelos used to ragdoll defenders?

Look where that got him ,how many red cards, with his combative style. I'd say Morelos is maturing , less likely to be sent off now and more of a team player ie the assist on Saturday .

Some folk on here just love a moan and we are top of the league too FFS

He's not been the worst but has a lot more to offer — we used to be able to just chuck a ball up to him and he'd run a mock but that's rarely the case for the last while.

I think it’s probably more down to a lack of service than anything, really not getting any clear cut chances created for him, his link up and general play has been good imo

Morelos used to ragdoll defenders?

Look where that got him ,how many red cards, with his combative style. I'd say Morelos is maturing , less likely to be sent off now and more of a team player ie the assist on Saturday .

Some folk on here just love a moan and we are top of the league too FFS

To be fair his general discipline issues come more often because he is often poorly refereed and reacts, which happened on Saturday, the fiesty bit of him is still there

He was more "active" in his earlier days with us, but it was often without any purpose, there is a lot more logic and sense to how he plays football now, some of the big switches of play he has across the park are absolute class, a skill he didn't used to have in his locker at all. His general style of play has changed since he first arrived, far more logical football player now.

I don’t understand these comments about Roofe to be honest. He looks like scoring in any domestic game we play.

His finishing hasn’t been great in recent weeks and that seems to be his main strength. Hitting shots straight at the keeper constantly.

Problem with playing Roofe, Buff and Hagi is that none of the three have the pace to trouble defenders. They have to be able to make a yard of space and be clinical when they get a chance which they aren’t on current form.

He used to be brilliant in one v ones down the line, shoulder-to-shoulder with the defender. Watch the highlights of Gerrard’s first season and the 5-1 against St Johnstone at Ibrox as an example (it popped up on Rangers archives page the other day). Another one I can think of is the LCF and he bullied their defence.

I don’t care what anyone says, he simply doesn’t do it now, and I don’t buy the argument about it getting him sent off in the past, most if not all of those were for petty retaliations of sort.

He used to be brilliant in one v ones down the line, shoulder-to-shoulder with the defender. Watch the highlights of Gerrard’s first season and the 5-1 against St Johnstone at Ibrox as an example (it popped up on Rangers archives page the other day). Another one I can think of is the LCF and he bullied their defence.

I don’t care what anyone says, he simply doesn’t do it now, and I don’t buy the argument about it getting him sent off in the past, most if not all of those were for petty retaliations of sort.

*cough* Bitton *cough*

He was never dreadful.

Honest to god , this must be the most negative football forum on the internet.

Top of the league by 6 points after 7 games (we all know Celtic are our only challengers) and in the semi final of the league cup.

Yet everyday we have poster on here saying our players are rotten, shite whatever.

Place is full negativity to the point where it's embarrassing
In the 2nd half of the 19/20 season he was dreadful.

Ffs It's negative now to talk about previous seasons?

I agree, even when he gets chances he’s just not taking them. Due to the role he plays he gets fewer chances than before and he needs to be more clinical. If we ever want to sell him for a decent amount of money we will need him to start scoring again at some point like the way he used to.

I love him but he’s looked to have slimmed down in weight and in strength, he just doesn’t role defenders every week like he used to. I much prefer the Alfie of the first half of the 19/20 season to anything we see nowadays. As someone else said I used to go into a game thinking Alfie would score, now I don’t expect it, due to his poor finishing/getting on the end of so few chances.

Last edited:
Is he fat or not?
I nearly replied yesterday, but didn't, to the first post you quoted as he clearly hasn't slimmed down, if comparing with 2019. A quick look at footage and pictures show you that. It's quite obvious really.

Is he fat ?

I don't think fat people ever pull the Rangers jersey over their head, unless i'm mistaken, but he's definitely bulked up. It's maybe nothing to do with it but there's no denying the change. For me there's a general lack of sharpness that's taken the edge off his game and made him less dangerous in and around the box. Love Alfie though and the talent is still there for sure. He'll help us to more silverware.

Alfie is not firing on all cylinders but is still working hard for the team. Don't think he is 100% fit (carrying slight hamstring strain). I notice Colombia have 3 fixtures in October Internationals, personally hope he goes nowhere and stays to recover his form and fitness.

I think the issue lies with the full team not allowing Morelos to pick up form.
Also I don't think dropping back and linking play suites his style of play best but his assist did set up the winner last week so I like to think of the "drop" in performance is more as a sacrifice to help the team than him playing poorly...

How has it proved a bad gamble to not take the money for him last season? We won the league! Worst case scenario is that we sell for slightly less than the £17m that Lille offered. However, his value is more likely to increase if we qualify for CL group stage. He's tailor-made for European football so I think he'll score goals at that level.

I can't possibly see how it has proved a bad gamble to keep our best striker at the club.
What could the club have done with £16million?

whatever happens, we’ve done well from the Morelos transfer to us given when we paid for him and good moments he’s brought us, but we should’ve cashed in, he’s nowhere near the player he was

and as for his current valuation, people are crackers if they think anyone is going to offer 16million for him on the form of the last 18months when his goal scoring record is poor, he looks overweight , disinterested seems to have family dramas / charity project on his mind (& when allowed will be missing to go back & forth to South America to sit on the bench for Columbia

What could the club have done with £16million?

whatever happens, we’ve done well from the Morelos transfer to us given when we paid for him and good moments he’s brought us, but we should’ve cashed in, he’s nowhere near the player he was

and as for his current valuation, people are crackers if they think anyone is going to offer 16million for him on the form of the last 18months when his goal scoring record is poor, he looks overweight , disinterested seems to have family dramas / charity project on his mind (& when allowed will be missing to go back & forth to South America to sit on the bench for Columbia
Looks like this has been lifted from Kerrydale Street on the Odsonne Edouard thread...

They managed to get £15-18m for him in the last year of his contract even though he looked like he couldn't be bothered all of last season. Morelos has played a massive part in delivering the most important title in our history and could yet increase his valuation.

What we could've done with £16m is hard to say. A player of Veerman's calibre plus a cheaper replacement for Morelos maybe, but there would be no guarantee either would prove to be as successful as what Morelos was last season.

Looks like this has been lifted from Kerrydale Street on the Odsonne Edouard thread...

They managed to get £15-18m for him in the last year of his contract even though he looked like he couldn't be bothered all of last season. Morelos has played a massive part in delivering the most important title in our history and could yet increase his valuation.

What we could've done with £16m is hard to say. A player of Veerman's calibre plus a cheaper replacement for Morelos maybe, but there would be no guarantee either would prove to be as successful as what Morelos was last season.
The comparison with edouard could go round the houses debating that but what I’d would say is that to increase Morelos value he should’ve been always taking the penalties to get his goal scoring record up lift his scoring stats / improving his finishing / boost confidence levels (& generate us a bigger fee when he is sold)

And if your argument is Tav is better striker of the ball from penalty spot then I would say why haven’t rangers coached Morelos to improve his finishing to get him to be the first choice penalty taker?

i would have to go along with Kris Boyd, the main man striker should be demanding the penalties to build up the goals tally

what will be interesting when Morelos goes is whether we persist in the same formation / just try and get another player to do that role,

I’d have liked to have seen change in formation to see if roofe and Itten as a 9 & 10 playing centrally with Kent free role how that would’ve worked

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.
If he was played as what he essentially is a penalty box striker which he came as instead of a deep lying player to play the ball off for others then we would get the best from him.

The comparison with edouard could go round the houses debating that but what I’d would say is that to increase Morelos value he should’ve been always taking the penalties to get his goal scoring record up lift his scoring stats / improving his finishing / boost confidence levels (& generate us a bigger fee when he is sold)

And if your argument is Tav is better striker of the ball from penalty spot then I would say why haven’t rangers coached Morelos to improve his finishing to get him to be the first choice penalty taker?

i would have to go along with Kris Boyd, the main man striker should be demanding the penalties to build up the goals tally

what will be interesting when Morelos goes is whether we persist in the same formation / just try and get another player to do that role,

I’d have liked to have seen change in formation to see if roofe and Itten as a 9 & 10 playing centrally with Kent free role how that would’ve worked
Why is Tav a better penalty striker of the ball when he shat out from taking the last one and Roofe buried it.

Why is Tav a better penalty striker of the ball when he shat out from taking the last one and Roofe buried it.
I wasn’t arguing for Tav taking the penalties, the strikers should be taking the Pens for me, Morelos 1st then Roofe

but I will say , I didn’t like the way Gerrard controlled that, the players should know who’s taking it before the start of the game , shouldn’t be any debate / argument on the pitch /or placing the captain in a situation where he has to make allowances for another player taking over his responsibility (If it is his responsibility as selected by the manager to be on the pens

Won’t happen but I’d like Rangers to pull all their players out of the upcoming internationals. They all need a break and time to recover, let the little niggling injuries heal etc.
Selfish yes absolutely but I only care about Rangers being honest

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.
I think he offers more playing a deeper role.
He is a lot more involved in the games and not waiting for the through ball.
If he never scores again but continues with the fantastic link up play I will be very happy.

His assist v Dundee was sublime and if it had been Messi played that ball the press would still be creaming their panties.

I think he offers more playing a deeper role.
He is a lot more involved in the games and not waiting for the through ball.
If he never scores again but continues with the fantastic link up play I will be very happy.

His assist v Dundee was sublime and if it had been Messi played that ball the press would still be creaming their panties.
Wow

Back