Morelos doesn’t make Colombia Copa America squad

15 mins of game time in 5 games at the critical time for international managers making their decisions has undoubtedly killed his chances. Completely his own fault.

I think lessons will now be learned, sadly it won’t be us who benefit from him growing up and leaving the petulance behind.

He was played, simple as that, studs down the achilles and he reacted, next time he needs to go down.

Browns play acting also got him sent off, exact same as he did with Flanagan at the weekend.
Agree fully, deliberately fouled off the ball and reacted to that we tool brown.

To go from being in a 23 man squad to not being in a 40 man squad can only be down to indiscipline.

From 4th choice forward to 12th choice (at best).

Alfie has more or less always been yellow and red carded for incidents in Scotland that others don't, so I don't recognise this mhedia driven petulance nonsense. He's still very young and with plenty of time to make future Colombian squads.

At times but ge is aff his nut and causes his own bother a lot of the time.

Cant let him off blaming it on bias or poor refs. Majority of it is because he cant be trusted to behave himself.

Let's be honest here would you take him ? In a competition such as this red card can be damaging as your not playing that many games correct decision by the manager and he only has his himself to blame.

Intriguing to see what happens here Morelos wouldn't have expected this ... imo this means we need to sort his future out asap so we can properly prepare for his exit. I honestly don't think he will be here come the start of next season we now need to find the highest bidder with any extra add ons and sell and reinvest a good chunk of it into quality additions over the summer.

It's imperative this doesn't drag on especially with the Europa League Qualifiers upon on very soon and we need everyone physically and mentally prepared for it.

Must have come as a shock to him. I watched him dance about the pitch with his Colombia flag on Sunday.

Important thing now is that we manage his departure as well as possible and ensure we get our money with our value being met.

Not great for us if we're wanting to sell this summer, but another tough lesson for the guy and one he'll learn from.

He seriously needs to cut out his petulance or it's going to cost him.

Give us your all for another season, bring us a 55 or a trophy and you'll leave for a bigger league a hero.

Will he learn though?

He has thrown it away himself, along with a few extra million for us. Thanks but good luck to you at your next club Freddo.

Only got himself to blame, he would have been one of the last few selected even if he was picked but hardly playing for a month now made it easy to not
Yep, not picking up that red card and thus not having a strong end to the season, has cost him and will undoubtedly cost us, in terms of fee.

Morelos?

He absolutely was not a shoe in, that’s crazy talk.

He was a shoe-in for the 40, of course he was.

Morelos has ruined this for himself, and I would bet this is a tactic from Queiroz to solve his indiscipline. He is highly rated in Colombia but he isn’t needed right now; this is a way to make him a better player in the long run. It’s man management rather than disregard.

Not good news for us, as “not making the 40” is a cheap bargaining chip for interested clubs.

I'm not sure he was ever making it at all, to be honest. It's not as if his abilities went down as a result of being benched, and his discplinary record for Colombia is exemplary. Mad how much people took it for granted he'd be in the squad.

The young man needs to sort out his ill discipline. I know he’s targeted, but a good deal of it he brings on himself.

It’s a harsh lesson, but missing almost the entire business end of a season ain’t getting you selected for national squads. Teams need players they can absolutely rely upon.

He’s young. Plenty of time to learn but learn he must

The sending off at Parkhead has really fucked him, all eyes would have been on him that day and he made an arse of it.

On the flip side he may decide to knuckle down and stay here for another year and prove he’s learned his lesson.
Be good if he did stay but his interview suggests he fancies a new challenge. Who can blame him wanting to swap Scotland for France or Spain or similar?

He was a shoe-in for the 40, of course he was.

Morelos has ruined this for himself, and I would bet this is a tactic from Queiroz to solve his indiscipline. He is highly rated in Colombia but he isn’t needed right now; this is a way to make him a better player in the long run. It’s man management rather than disregard.

Not good news for us, as “not making the 40” is a cheap bargaining chip for interested clubs.

It doesn’t decrease his value.

It doesn’t inflate it, but it won’t decrease it from what it was.

I’m still struggling to forgive him for the red card at Parkhead after his indiscipline all season and how big the game was.

It was the final nail of the title race not winning that day.

Gutted for him but he did himself no favours with that sending off at the piggery. Managers will struggle to trust him.

You can imagine the mentally challengeds banging their keyboards with rage in pidgeon Spanish from behind a VPN using Google translate.

Heh ...Compadre. we doh knee no shtingking bashes. That Morelos is an animal que do we show the world with an aggressive footballer in our squad. I won't be supporting our national team of he is in it. So no selecto gringo Huns. Comprênde el Los hijo de puta.

Gutted for the wee man. He deserves to be there with his skill.

You forgot to call his mother for the couch that she is...

much of the forward players are wingers, to get a starting slot as a striker he'd have to beat Falcao, Bacca and Zapata.

Also, Izquerdo who cost brighton 14 million didnt get in either

don't really think it will do anything to his value, people will watch the Copa America for future stars but it's not like the European Championships or the World Cup for viewership outside the main country it's attracting

Zapata will more likely start in the Colombian team so the only thing Morelos could have really hoped for was a place in the squad. Falcao has scored 14 in Ligue 1 for a Monaco team who are still looking at the real possibility of being relegated

How come he never had a discipline problem before he came to this shit hole? How many of his red cards were actually down to his discipline, or refs being conned or just making shocking decisions? Last season it was Ryan Jack and look how that went.

This isn’t only a blow for Morelos but also for us financially at least.
If he was in that squad I reckon it adds a bit to his value.
As it stands I’m still 50/50 over him actually leaving as I don’t think many big sides will take a gamble on him based on this season, if he had another season goals wise like this season but cut out the red cards he could have his pick of most top leagues

How come he never had a discipline problem before he came to this shit hole? How many of his red cards were actually down to his discipline, or refs being conned or just making shocking decisions? Last season it was Ryan Jack and look how that went.

If we are being honest, in isolation (not looking at what happens to other players in similar situations) maybe 3 of his reds should definitely stand and the others could still be reds.
He’s shafted himself, if he were a victim I don’t think SG would have commented on it the way he did.

Selfishly, best thing yeah could happen.

Hope the manager sat him down and explained it was due to ill disciple, rather than ability.

Maybe the rocket he needed.

He’s got the world at his feet. Needs to screw the nut.

Also, now gets a full pre season and qualifiers with us, should be stay. Which is great!

Red cards/indiscipline aside, Morelos won’t play regularly for Colombia while he plays in Scotland.

When he moves on, he’ll have more of a future internationally.

It doesn’t decrease his value.

It doesn’t inflate it, but it won’t decrease it from what it was.

We would have got more had he made the squad. We would have got even more had he played and scored. It may have also brought other clubs to the table, increasing overall bidding.

It may not decrease his value from now - but it’s far from optimal - which is surely the planned time to sell him.

Not great for us if we're wanting to sell this summer, but another tough lesson for the guy and one he'll learn from.

He seriously needs to cut out his petulance or it's going to cost him.

Give us your all for another season, bring us a 55 or a trophy and you'll leave for a bigger league a hero.
Given his soundbites Yesterday,I think he's off anyway and I think we should take the money and run,hopefully with a sell on clause as well. The teams been excellent without him which was a concern,but it isn't now

We would have got more had he made the squad. We would have got even more had he played and scored. It may have also brought other clubs to the table, increasing overall bidding.

It may not decrease his value from now - but it’s far from optimal - which is surely the planned time to sell him.

Again, we said around £18-20m, I don’t think not getting called up detracts from that.

Colombia play a 4-3-3 with two wingers and a main striker, I thought he was 20% likely to make he squad at best with Falcao and Zapata absolutely miles ahead of him in that role with Muriel also comfortably ahead of him.

In regards to his transfer - I’m totally relaxed. I don’t think we expected to make the Europa groups this year, so the money from that means not selling him isn’t a problem. If we do sell him we’re loaded, if we don’t then we retain the best striker in Scotland - sounds very much like a win win to me.

The main Colombian newspaper has a bit on the list of 40 saying there are a few surprises. Apparently, Alfredo was one of only two players who went to Japan and wasn't selected in this list. They just say that the motives are not known.

It's a decent squad to be fair! People on here were getting a bit ahead of themselves in full spin doctor mode trying to make out he was a staple of the Colombia squad I think.

The main Colombian newspaper has a bit on the list of 40 saying there are a few surprises. Apparently, Alfredo was one of only two players who went to Japan and wasn't selected in this list. They just say that the motives are not known.

It's a decent squad to be fair! People on here were getting a bit ahead of themselves in full spin doctor mode trying to make out he was a staple of the Colombia squad I think.

Was always the case on here, I don’t think a lot of people really understand how strong they are in that department.

Their second choice (Zapata) has scored more goals than Ronaldo in Serie A this year, that’s what he’s up against. It might even be the case that he starts and Falcao is benched.

Again, we said around £18-20m, I don’t think not getting called up detracts from that.

Colombia play a 4-3-3 with two wingers and a main striker, I thought he was 20% likely to make he squad at best with Falcao and Zapata absolutely miles ahead of him in that role with Muriel also comfortably ahead of him.

In regards to his transfer - I’m totally relaxed. I don’t think we expected to make the Europa groups this year, so the money from that means not selling him isn’t a problem. If we do sell him we’re loaded, if we don’t then we retain the best striker in Scotland - sounds very much like a win win to me.

It's not the ''not making the squad'' that's the issue. He's not even made a 40 man pool, that is going to be whittled down to 20 odd for the actual tournament, when he's been in the last couple of squads and involved in some games.

It'll be a shock to him and a boot in the balls to be honest.

Maybe it will make him actually grow up a bit now, but we aren't going to get any benefit of that as he's offski.

It's not the ''not making the squad'' that's the issue. He's not even made a 40 man pool, that is going to be whittled down to 20 odd for the actual tournament, when he's been in the last couple of squads and involved in some games.

It'll be a shock to him and a boot in the balls to be honest.

Maybe it will make him actually grow up a bit now, but we aren't going to get any benefit of that as he's offski.

If it’s a boot in the balls to him, then great. He needs it.

He made a lady's front bottom out of Gerrard and all of us, the filth would have collapsed if we’d put them away that day.

I don’t think going to the CA and sitting on the bench for three weeks would have made a huge difference in all honesty though.

There’s another Copa next summer.

Hopefully he doesn’t blame his exclusion with playing in Scotland, although it’s likely a factor. His indiscipline will have cost him - a positive end to the season would have kept him in the manager’s mind.

It’s a strong squad. Exciting tournament ahead; looking forward to it.

Some absolute pish on this thread. The odds of Morelos actually going were always incredibly slim. Assuming that Colombia take 4 strikers in their actual squad, it was always going to be Falcao, Zapata, Muriel and Bacca.

Back