Morelos doesn’t make Colombia Copa America squad

He has plenty of time in his career to fight his way into the squad. Don't know if the red cards had an effect but hopefully this and him losing his place in our team is a bit of a wake up call.

Just my take on it, not based on anything other than opinion.

His agent will drill it in to him he has to leave as the reason he didn't get called up was because he plays in Scotland. Convinced this will be the narrative.

Reality tho is poor discipline and perhaps just not doing enough when called up will be why he hasn't made it.

Love the guy, but honestly think this is certain to add more weight to him leaving. I just hope it's on the right terms for the club.

He's potentially cost us the win and potentially the league with that sending off. The one game we needed him most and the one game it'll have been hammered home to him before hand that he had to keep the head given his previous indiscipline.

We could've be going into the last game of the season needing to score more than them. This is bigger than Alfredo.

Let's get whatever the fee is and strengthen all over.

I’m still struggling to forgive him for the red card at Parkhead after his indiscipline all season and how big the game was.

It was the final nail of the title race not winning that day.

We weren’t really in the title race at that point and the only reason we were in it as long as we were was because of him. He team mates didn’t have the bottle when it mattered.

Not surprised in the slightest. The red cards have definitely cost him, but i also believe its because of where he plays his football.

We weren’t really in the title race at that point and the only reason we were in it as long as we were was because of him. He team mates didn’t have the bottle when it mattered.

Agreed .

It’s the same as people saying “ Worral cost is the title “ with one slip at Kilmarnock .

No one mistake or slip cost us the title . It’s a collective effort over 38 games and its nonsensical to say one red card or one mistake cost the title . You could argue losing last minute goals at pittodrie and Motherwell cost us more .

Some absolute pish on this thread. The odds of Morelos actually going were always incredibly slim. Assuming that Colombia take 4 strikers in their actual squad, it was always going to be Falcao, Zapata, Muriel and Bacca.

I’d be shocked if Muriel or Bacca got much game time in that squad, never mind Morelos.

They might get a start against Qatar in the second group game, but that’s about it.

11 strikers were selected ahead of him? It's a stretch to call him an international if he doesn't even make the top 11 forwards.

Could be a defining moment for him and us- straight away his value drops. I hope he has the mental fortitude to redouble his efforts and make it to the highest level. We should ensure a good selling on clause.
Why does his value drop his value last week was not dependant in getting in the Columbian squad so why all of a sudden has it dropped?.

It's not the ''not making the squad'' that's the issue. He's not even made a 40 man pool, that is going to be whittled down to 20 odd for the actual tournament, when he's been in the last couple of squads and involved in some games.

He's had a handful of minutes in friendly matches where they take massive squads in order to give fringe players a bit of game time and a taste of what international football is about. He's up against established guys like Falcao, Zapata, Muriel and Bacca who have 166 caps between them. Zapata has the least of them with 7, but he's scored 27 goals for Atalanta this season.

He's had a handful of minutes in friendly matches where they take massive squads in order to give fringe players a bit of game time and a taste of what international football is about. He's up against established guys like Falcao, Zapata, Muriel and Bacca who have 166 caps between them. Zapata has the least of them with 7, but he's scored 27 goals for Atalanta this season.

He’s a 21 year old whose played in Finland and Scotland, folk need to chill out.

His value is the same as it was this time two weeks ago, end of story.

Gutted for the wee fella but time is on his side he is what 20/21? Strikers with his strike rate don't come cheap if he keeps up his scoring form either here or somewhere else he will get called up again.

That will just confirm to Alfie he needs to move to a better league in order to fulfill his international ambitions.

How come he never had a discipline problem before he came to this shit hole? How many of his red cards were actually down to his discipline, or refs being conned or just making shocking decisions? Last season it was Ryan Jack and look how that went.

I have heard this point rasied before and it genuinely does make me think, because the refs in Finland must be shit.

I don't think Morelos play on the park is dictate by narrative from referees or what other players do - it is driven from him being an evil wee bastard in the best way possible and simply seeing his job as a profesional player to win, by any means - he pushes that more than what most see as "accepted" in the same way Suarez and Costa for example do, is what it is i take no issue with it but it does get a player noticed.

I have no issue with how he acts on a park - but can also see his style of play does push limits.

If he moves to England next season for example, he will be an oft spoke about player in the media because of his style of play.

Some absolute pish on this thread. The odds of Morelos actually going were always incredibly slim. Assuming that Colombia take 4 strikers in their actual squad, it was always going to be Falcao, Zapata, Muriel and Bacca.

Yep. This is sadly the reason.

There are, quite simply, better players than him in the squad. Nothing to do with indiscipline.

What I'm reading, from a Colombian based journo, is that they want to have a look at Ibarguen & Yairo and since they've seen Morelos recently there is no need to call him up as he wouldn't be in the final squad. It's also mentioned that his disciplinary record is a concern.

Queiroz is holding a press conference today (I think) so we should find out the reasons why.

Edit: I will add that it is still seen as a suprise that he didn't make the 40 man squad.

Last edited:
I think he will be genuinely surprised and gutted at his exclusion from the preliminary squad it’s a huge deal for the South Americans.

Big summer for him if the bids Alfie and his agent are expecting do not materialise, i.e. don’t meet our valuation, it will be really interesting to see how he reacts as i think in his mind he has already left, could be a major head fcuk.

They have some good players to pick from so he was always going to be unlikely - even if he had a slim chance. He's got plenty time to work himself in there though.

That said, he hasn't done himself any favours by his red cards and ending up out of the team for a few games. He had been keeping the head, scoring goals and staying on the pitch his chances would have been much greater.

Red card wouldn’t have helped but they’d have had a look at him when he was in the squad and obviously decided he wasn’t good enough. Missing that sitter wouldn’t have done him much good either.

In saying that here’s hoping there’s maybe still a chance for him if there are injuries or call offs.
what sitter?
the media scum call not connecting with a ball after stretching for it a sitter?

Appreciate his discipline has screwed him but it also says a lot about how Scottish football is viewed outside when a lad that’s scored 29 goals in a season is over looked.

The 4 game suspension with televised games would have been a factor. He wasn't able to showcase his talents. The old firm games were shown all over the world. He didn't star in any of them. Maybe he needs to realise that.

Only himself to blame hopefully he learns from this. Got a feeling his agent will be in his ear telling him it’s Gerrards fault for not playing him the last 6 games

A quick couple of goals against the Porkheid Paedohiders in the next match of the new season will fix him up.

He is petulant and daft at times, but let's not kid on that if it was any other player in Scotland they would've got the same treatment.

His red card against McKenna was overturned then after Celtic and the mhedia kicked up a fuss after the OF game in December, that made sure that his next red card against McKenna was never getting overturned - even though he done bugger all wrong. The one against Brown was beyond stupid, but it was no different to what Simunovic done on Defoe the other day.

Only himself to blame hopefully he learns from this. Got a feeling his agent will be in his ear telling him it’s Gerrards fault for not playing him the last 6 games
I have the same feeling the agent will probably use this against us and Gerrard if Alfie plays on Sunday bet he’s his face will be tripping him

Morels playing regularly and scoring has more chance of a call up than a suspended Morelos. Hopefully a wee wake up call.

He's not good enough for that level yet. Harsh. But true.
He's just beyond an U21 player for that level.
Potential is there .
If we get £12m for him it's a great return.
Every £1 beyond that is a bonus.

Why does his value drop his value last week was not dependant in getting in the Columbian squad so why all of a sudden has it dropped?.

If he is an international his value rises is the rationale- he didn't make a 40 man preliminary squad ergo his "share value" drops- not what we want but I think reasonable assumption to make.

Queiroz said he “needs players he can rely on” Alfie with his disciplinary record here just can’t be. Hopefully he learns how to channel that side of his personality we have seen, and apply it to becoming a complete athlete that we all know is in him.

He has a lot of talent and is still young and if and when he does leave us I will be keeping an eye on his career because I 100% believe he will go to the very top.

Back