Morelos - exceptional again

Work-rate was superb tonight, looked a lot hungrier probably in reaction to Sunday.

Gerrard has got our front 3 working their arses off tremendously well off the ball.

I just picture him having figurine heads of all the defenders he’s demolished on his mantlepiece.

Vertonghen joining Pepe et al on that mantlepiece.

Enjoyed his performance tonight, he was up against a very good CB in Vertonghen.

Seems to have mellowed a bit this season, looking at his card count.

The past two games against Benfica have shown he’s still got it, not that I thought he ever lost it.

Hold up play, link up play & his ability to draw fouls were magnificent again. Allowed us to get up the park & break their press.

Vertonghen will be having nightmares.

Keep it up Alfie.
The past two games against Benfica have shown he’s still got it, not that I thought he ever lost it.

Hold up play, link up play & his ability to draw fouls were magnificent again. Allowed us to get up the park & break their press.

Keep it up Alfie.

That was a 2019 performance from Morelos tonight. The ball was sticking, he was holding it up, he was linking well and his movement was excellent. He is getting fitter and stronger by the week.

Absolutely brilliant. Kinda wish he could strike the ball better as well tho . Some of his play deserves cracking goals .

He was excellent yet again as he has been all season. I think some others are beginning to see what he is bringing to the game but we still have those who judge forwards by goals only.

The front 3 work so well together and their back ups aren't too shabby either.

I know the three interchange.

And his hold-up play was excellent.

But Alfie coming in from the right hand side must terrify defenders.

Vertongen is no mug, and he's not done as a footballer.

Alfie owned him.

He’s working so hard for the team. He’s dropping deeper than last year and linking play more than he did last year. His relationship with the players on the left and right of him is fantastic.

I’m loving our current front 3. The movement is brilliant. At stages Morelos was on the left, Roofe was in the middle, and Kent was on the right. %^*& trying to defend against that.

I thought Vertonghen was lucky to stay on the pitch for his yellow on Morelos.

Agreed.
As others have pointed out: a neck-high tackle !!

I also think he was unlucky that it took the ref so long to dish a card out for the attention he was receiving.
Right from the start he was being closely marked, but the amount of times he was being trodden on started rising considerably in the second half.

imo a deliberate strategy to antagonise him.
He deserves a bit of praise for controlling himself so well in the face of that.

Unlucky not to get his goal. Think he’s playing his best football again. He’s pivotal to the system wether he’s scoring or not.

He is our best attacking midfielder... if that is fair. Or is there a better positional name for him?

He drops deep, holds up, links up, passes, shoots.

Motm for me.

Keep it up Alfie.
Mom for me, few people giving him shit after the last match as well despite playing very well recently. A lot of our fans will never be convinced yet he will probably get us our highest ever fee when he goes

Remember this game, the next one that he has a few poor touches you will have folk saying he is poor technically and doesn't fit our system. Our system still relies on him but not to the same extent and in a different way

Remember this game, the next one that he has a few poor touches you will have folk saying he is poor technically and doesn't fit our system. Our system still relies on him but not to the same extent and in a different way
Aye, he might show some technical brilliance on some occasions however (some posters will get it).

Work-rate was superb tonight, looked a lot hungrier probably in reaction to Sunday.

Gerrard has got our front 3 working their arses off tremendously well off the ball.

Our front on their day, are unplayable for the vast majority of teams we will play. The movement and workmate is outstanding. Weve got goals coming from everywhere, and they are all happy to do the dirty work defensively. I know tonight never panned out, but in general im chuffed to bits with how we are playing

Tin hat on. That was one of the best striking performance I've seen in a gers shirt.

His hold up and link up play was superb. I've not seen a forward give vertongan a game like that. Just missing a goal

I've always said it with alfie. We need to appreciate what we have. We will only realise what we had when he goes

Keep it up Alfie.
he was brilliant tonight

Ran his bollocks off like the rest of the team. The team Cannot be faulted for effort tonight, their legs went late and they weren’t helped by poor game management.
Alfie was certainly a contender for motm

Ran his bollocks off like the rest of the team. The team Cannot be faulted for effort tonight, their legs went late and they weren’t helped by poor game management.
Alfie was certainly a contender for motm

That's a strong statement.

Tell me more.

Back