Morelos - exceptional again

He had a very good game this evening, however the OP is way off the mark saying exceptional again. He has been poor in both goal return and performance for months now. If tonight signals a return to form, there are zero complaints from this bear.

He had a very good game this evening, however the OP is way off the mark saying exceptional again. He has been poor in both goal return and performance for months now. If tonight signals a return to form, there are zero complaints from this bear.
I thought he was utterly brilliant in Lisbon, did you not?.

Personally I think he’s been fine majority of the season, but the “again” was in reference to the game in Lisbon mate.

I thought he was utterly brilliant in Lisbon, did you not?.

Personally I think he’s been fine majority of the season, but the “again” was in reference to the game in Lisbon mate.
The OP says exceptional again which is debatable to say the very least. Lisbon?, my recollection is that goal aside his performance was hit and miss. I will reiterate he was very very good tonight, and long may it continue, I am merely questioning the term ''exceptional again''.

If you didn't know Vertonghen was schooled with Ajax, had 400 top flight games in Holland, England and Portugal, Champions League team of the year shortlist in 2019 with 130+ International caps and a 3rd place World Cup medal to boot *and breathe* you'd think Alfie was up against a dummy the way he performed tonight. Exceptional wee man, exceptional!

The OP says exceptional again which is debatable to say the very least. Lisbon?, my recollection is that goal aside his performance was hit and miss. I will reiterate he was very very good tonight, and long may it continue, I am merely questioning the term ''exceptional again''.
The OP refers to him being exceptional again following up from an exceptional performance in Lisbon (from my recollection).

Fair enough though mate, he was great tonight so we can agree on that :)

Our all time top European goalscorer was exceptional against a CL level side against CL level performers. Run with the positives mate, this is our time...we have a long way to go silverware wise but the heights we're reaching with the ability and tools at our disposal. Exceptional!

Brave as hell. He was getting bumped about and fouled all night but he got up and got on with it. Strong as a Buffalo is our Buff. Deserved a goal and a pen.

We have added a new 'layer' to his game and tbh he seems to be concentrating on that and the value it gives the team, at the moment. Once he brings goals back into it he'll be really flying.

He doesnt stop moving and this creates a lot of trouble for the opposition. Against the sheep I felt they concentrated too much of their efforts on Alfredo at times, when you have a player like Roofe that causes problems as well.

Really enjoying watching him in this new role. Gets about and allows for a bit of flair without the pressure of being the only one to score. Making him more of a complete player.

If he plays like that and others continue to move well around him and in-behind getting goals then I'd take that all season. No idea if he will though, given its not the box-office goals he'll want for his move.

He was superb. He’s a good football player and not just a goal scorer, and I think that’s down to our manager, he’s nurturing him and getting the best out of him.
Certainly coaching him to be less selfish and more of a team player.

Really enjoying watching him in this new role. Gets about and allows for a bit of flair without the pressure of being the only one to score. Making him more of a complete player.

If he plays like that and others continue to move well around him and in-behind getting goals then I'd take that all season. No idea if he will though, given its not the box-office goals he'll want for his move.
Totally agree.

Fck me the naming of individual posters in your praise of a player is as petty and as adolescent as some of those posters' comments in the first place. One continuous I-told-you-so-act that, with a player as inconsistent and schizophrenic as Morelos, never quite ends happily for anyone concerned.

Can you explain what’s petty and adolescent about it? Or is it just that you don’t care for it what with falling into that category yourself?

If someone wants to pick on one of our players and criticise them unfairly then there’s nothing wrong with calling them out, particularly when they’re so slow to deliver any feint praise in contrast to the lighting speed at which they provide criticism. Why that would be deemed adolescent on a discussion forum is beyond me. Some of the criticism this particular player has taken from a select group has been ridiculous and given a couple in particular quite clearly revel in it, I say they deserve a little bit of stick.

Glad to see Alfie getting some praise.

As I said in another thread we have Kent, Morelos, and now Roofe. Brilliant.

If they all hit form in the same game that will be some game to watch.

We are a more threatening team with the way the front 3 now interchange. Each of them creates space for the others. I would love to see Morelos go on a scoring run for his own peace of mind. His contribution is huge even without the goals

Fck me the naming of individual posters in your praise of a player is as petty and as adolescent as some of those posters' comments in the first place. One continuous I-told-you-so-act that, with a player as inconsistent and schizophrenic as Morelos, never quite ends happily for anyone concerned.

"Schizophrenic"

Don't know if I would ever call any Rangers player that but I guess some people are just different. As soon as you used that word you kind on lost any right to an opinion. Maybe you should stop letting the Daily Record shape your opinions.

With regards to consistency Morelos has been excellent for us over the course of his time here. Yeah he dropped his performance level after last January but he had put in a seasons worth of work in the first 6 months. The only problem was his teammates never stepped up in his absence. He was the one who took the pelters but the players playing a 6/10 every week flew under the radar.

We are a more threatening team with the way the front 3 now interchange. Each of them creates space for the others. I would love to see Morelos go on a scoring run for his own peace of mind. His contribution is huge even without the goals
He’s not getting the same scoring chances he used to but as someone else said, as long as we’re winning and guys like Roofe are taking full advantage I’m absolutely fine with it. For a while it didn’t look like he could do the business in a side that contained another striker to full credit to the gaffer for finding a way to make it work.

"Schizophrenic"

Don't know if I would ever call any Rangers player that but I guess some people are just different.
As soon as you used that word you kind on lost any right to an opinion. Maybe you should stop letting the Daily Record shape your opinions.

With regards to consistency Morelos has been excellent for us over the course of his time here. Yeah he dropped his performance level after last January but he had put in a seasons worth of work in the first 6 months. The only problem was his teammates never stepped up in his absence. He was the one who took the pelters but the players playing a 6/10 every week flew under the radar.
It’s just another in a long line of descriptions of Morelos that you’d expect to find on the likes of Kerrydale street as opposed to here.

Looks to be getting back to his best which is good news for us. He kept their defence occupied all game and that trademark strength looks to be back to near full power.

The past two games against Benfica have shown he’s still got it, not that I thought he ever lost it.

Hold up play, link up play & his ability to draw fouls were magnificent again. Allowed us to get up the park & break their press.

Vertonghen will be having nightmares.

Keep it up Alfie.
After the game radio Scotland ( English & Stewart ) saying he is having a poor season & Rangers look like they can’t handle pressure . How these people get paid to give their opinion is laughable ? They don’t even try & hide their bias & hatred.

I was critical of him on Sunday because of his poor touch and lay offs.
I wondered how he could possibly have been a midfielder in a previous team.
None if that last night.
First touch was brilliant for the best part and passing was good as well bar one,
On top of that, his centre forward play was as good as its ever been and his interchanging with Kent and Roofe looked as though it’d been happening for years.
A wee bit unlucky not to score as well.

Yeah and 4 domestic goals in 2020.

Getting bored of this pish now. So after a European game where you came on to moan about his lack of goals. Its now about his domestic production? Your agenda is so transparent its unreal.

Hes scored 7 goals this year which puts him on course for just shy of 30 for the season. Hes playing a far different role than previous seasons. If you cant understand football beyond a primary 2 level "strikers score or they are shite", then I cant help you.

Getting bored of this pish now. So after a European game where you came on to moan about his lack of goals. Its now about his domestic production? Your agenda is so transparent its unreal.

Hes scored 7 goals this year which puts him on course for just shy of 30 for the season. Hes playing a far different role than previous seasons. If you cant understand football beyond a primary 2 level "strikers score or they are shite", then I cant help you.
This time last season he was on summin like 25 goals. No chance is alfie scoring 30 goals this season unless he picks it up massively. He's not playing a different role at all.

He's been good in Europe again this season he was up against a quality operator in Vertonghan and got the better of him I still think he'll be our first big sale and won't be here beyond the summer or if the right money comes in for him in January

Both Alfie and Kent ran their arses off tonight doing shuttle runs between defenders. Really pleased with his performance.
People mentioning the lack of goals maybe don’t realise he is playing a different role, almost Firmino like. So he won’t always be on the penalty spot unfortunately. But it’s clearly working for the team
Completely agree, his role seems to be to pull off to the sides and drop deeper whilst pulling the defenders out of shape, creating the space for others to run behind in.

I'm loving this element to his game and feel he's more suited to it.

This time last season he was on summin like 25 goals. No chance is alfie scoring 30 goals this season unless he picks it up massively. He's not playing a different role at all.
Absolute pish. Last season he played solely as main striker. This season hes playing almost positionless across the front 3. He spends minutes at a time out left or right. Hes dropping far deeper as well. I actually need to question whether you even watch games tbh

Alfie was just fine, working very hard for the team, nearly had a goal, took some knocks off the benfica players. He is solid, built like a tank. He will come good again on the goal front soon. A great team player. He now realises the man beside him is a top player also. Raise the roofe.......

Great performance from Alfredo. He stayed on his feet last night in situations (fouls or otherwise) he'd normally go to ground too easily. And I think it showed in his and our overall performance.

I will call it as I see it. V Aberdeen his link up play was careless but tonight it was exceptional. He did not deserve to not be on a winning side. We are a much better team when Alfie does what he does.

Back