Morelos - exceptional again

He's improving definitely and he was good tonight.
Exceptional no, sensational, no, to the level we know he is capable of, no.

But he's definitely heading that way, finally, because we have put up with exceptionally poor form for a long time.

Well done Buff, keep up the hard work and repay the fans and the Manager who have kept faith in you.

He certainly got about the pitch, he's modified his style to adjust to the way we're playing. He takes some knocks from defenders but keeps going back for more. The goals will come but another mature performance with a good all round contribution.

This time last season he was on summin like 25 goals. No chance is alfie scoring 30 goals this season unless he picks it up massively. He's not playing a different role at all.
He won't score 25-30 goals this season though i don't think he's been asked to. How many goals have been scored this season that Morelos has been involved in? (Not just assist), but link up play or someone got in where there's space that Buff has pulled out of position.

Think they saw we were overly reliant on his goals last season and have countered it with this, so the goals are spread and if Buff was to miss a game it would be easier to bring someone else that could do similar or find a killer pass.

Biggest example apart from last night was the old firm game he had Brown, Ajer and another (cant remember who) all falling over themselves, which was creating the space.

He will score goals this season, they will come but not as much as last season. I think he is playing a different role this time around and that its more playing to his strengths, even though his scoring was fantastic his composure was lacking at times and this will help weed out the weakness'.

This time last season he was on summin like 25 goals. No chance is alfie scoring 30 goals this season unless he picks it up massively. He's not playing a different role at all.
Rubbish, whilst I agree to a degree that he's still a fair bit off his absolute best.
He's improving his all round game and is definitely playing a far different role than previously.
He's on the right track, finally.

Played well tonight and more importantly his attitude and work rate was brilliant. It looks like our coaching team are having a real influence and he’s developing a more all round game.
The goals will come - hopefully in the 2nd half of the season.

He had a very good game last night. Some signs he could be returning to somewhere close to his best. Hopefully he can take some confidence from it and start replicating it in the league games.

I thought Alfie was fantastic last night no longer is he our talisman saving or winning games for us but being part of the team where everyone is pulling in the same direction
Yellow cards almost non existent and much more maturity in the role he has been asked to play
Hopefully he is here for the season as he deserves medals from his time with us
You don't need to be bagging 30 goals a season, top coaches love hard working strikers who pull defenders around to create space for others to exploit

Fck me the naming of individual posters in your praise of a player is as petty and as adolescent as some of those posters' comments in the first place. One continuous I-told-you-so-act that, with a player as inconsistent and schizophrenic as Morelos, never quite ends happily for anyone concerned.
That's fair, fans do get entrenched with doubling down with players they hate or love

You do realise we’ve played significantly less games this season?. Now, his goal tally is always been good but I think 25 goals in 18 games would be a bit mental.

Another 23 league games, 2 cups & at least 4 more europa games to go. I expect him to hit 25 at least. That said, right now couldn’t care if he didn’t score because he’s creating chances for others.

I thought Alfredo had an excellent game last night.
He seems to be getting involved more and not just doing his strikers job.
Well played.

Noticeably more motivated in European games.
I think this is a very good point, he has not put the same level of effort or been "on it" as much in the SPL. That's down to the league and standard but is a concern.

He's doing well in Europe, maybe putting himself back in the shop window.

He was superb, yet again playing the role asked of him brilliantly.

Many on here should be ashamed of previous comments.

I don’t get your final paragraph

So because he had a good game last night, people should feel bad about criticising some of his previous performances which have been below par?

Can you explain what’s petty and adolescent about it? Or is it just that you don’t care for it what with falling into that category yourself?

If someone wants to pick on one of our players and criticise them unfairly then there’s nothing wrong with calling them out, particularly when they’re so slow to deliver any feint praise in contrast to the lighting speed at which they provide criticism. Why that would be deemed adolescent on a discussion forum is beyond me. Some of the criticism this particular player has taken from a select group has been ridiculous and given a couple in particular quite clearly revel in it, I say they deserve a little bit of stick.

Because - and we're talking specifically about Morelos here - his famed inconsistency across the season means this kind of discussion never really strays far from the level of I-told-you-so pettiness. He hits a run of poor games and posters come out to criticise him, counter posters come out to defend him, he hits a good run of games and posters come out to criticise those who criticised him, usually positioning their views with that of a Celtic fan’s (which, rather tiredly, has happened here); repeat ad infinitum.

Ultimately, this discussion centres on the nature of this unfair criticism in the first place but if you’re going to give out a “little bit of stick” then, when Morelos is your hill, expect to receive it back again at some point. And when that happens, and the cycle repeats, we’re at the level of a Snapchat feud between teenage lassies and far from the lofty intentions of a “discussion forum.”

Morelos had a great game tonight. The goals will come I’m sure. I’d play him v Falkirk to try to get him going again.

one long ball out of defence late on, he controlled it and turned defender without effort, tremendous play.

The past two games against Benfica have shown he’s still got it, not that I thought he ever lost it.

Hold up play, link up play & his ability to draw fouls were magnificent again. Allowed us to get up the park & break their press.

Vertonghen will be having nightmares.

Keep it up Alfie.
100% has become a true team player, wonderful.

Our front on their day, are unplayable for the vast majority of teams we will play. The movement and workmate is outstanding. Weve got goals coming from everywhere, and they are all happy to do the dirty work defensively. I know tonight never panned out, but in general im chuffed to bits with how we are playing

I think our clean sheet record domestically is everything to do with how well we defend from the front as much as it is about our defence.

Teams don't get any breathing space to start something in their own half.

It's fantastic.

x7hWTiY.gif

I thought he was utterly brilliant in Lisbon, did you not?.

Personally I think he’s been fine majority of the season, but the “again” was in reference to the game in Lisbon mate.

He was excellent at the piggery and against Galatasaray at Ibrox also and folk were saying he was shite.

Would like to see his name appear on the scoresheet more often but the “selfish” player has became a team player and we look a better attacking unit for it.

Back