Morelos Finishing Is Not Good Enough

Been thinking about it a lot today and it's a hard one to properly appraise.

Yes, he's been shocking since the Old Firm game, put yourself in his position. He's a young guy from a ridiculously disadvantaged background, given an insane contract that he would never have dreamed of. His priority when starting out was probably to provide food for his family; now he can afford to buy his village. Do you think they were taught about how to manage finances like that at high school in Colombia?

The blame for his falling apart goes on not just the management, but the club. I've written it before, but who honestly thought it was a good idea to give him an extended break - when he was suspended already - to go back home in January? This isn't a charity. Did they honestly think he was going to be eating salads and working out every day when there? There needs to be some responsibility when it comes to looking after the player, not just then, but in general.

It's turned into a mess of a situation and I imagine we'll now be taking a bit of a hit on the fee.

He has been snatching at anything since New Year, seems to be making the wrong runs and ends up in impossible angles to shoot but still has a go anyway just handing the ball back to the opposition.

He hasn't looked the same player since the game at the piggery.

The subsequent sending off, the racist abuse and the all the issues off the field have clearly taken it's toll on him.

It's infuriating but his head has gone imo.

The two goals that he had chopped off would have helped ease him back into confident goalscoring mode had they been properly given.
Today in front of goal he looked like a striker low on confidence.
Yes, a lot of what has befallen him this season is his own fault, but boy Scottish referees have done their best to destroy this player.
Probably they have done enough to tip the balance.

Major lack of composure. That chance at 2-1 if he had just rolled it along the deck it was in with their keeper jumping. Im not surprised that Gerard was raging considering the pressure he is under. Morelos scores and we win the game.

I remember before we even signed him JJ said there were parts of his game needing to be worked on, like taking on shots when he should be passing. Sometimes I think nothing has changed.

Not REMOTELY interested in my opinion. Too desperate to get off the pitch to catch his flight. Terrible performance from him again.
No composure.

He has no finesse to his game whatsoever.

Look at how the St Johnstone player took their first goal, that’s all that he had to do when he was through in goal. But no he fucks it up as usual.

He needs a long spell on the sidelines. Disgrace after winter break.

If you got a goal for everytime you hit the goalies legs, Morelos would be on 100 goals to date.
I know he's scored a few, but if he would calm down and compose himself, i think he would score a lot more.?

When do you ever see him playing the wee dink over the goalie when one on one? He goes for power every time instead of showing a bit of composure & dinking it into the net. Everytime he has a 1 on 1 with the goalie you just don’t expect him to score.

He had practically no service whatsoever the full game. Aye he snatched at a chance and should've scored but he's never been that clinical.

I'm more worried about the others (Kent, Hagi, Tav etc) not providing decent service.

If his goal wasnt wrongly disallowed v Killie then this could be a completely different thread. He just needs a goal imo, but is definitely lacking confidence.

He doesn't get a lot of chances because of the way we play.

The ones he does get he tries too hard to score, sometimes a simple pass by the keeper would do.

His confidence also looks in tatters at the moment, they really got into his head with that doesn't score against Celtic stuff, that penalty miss in the cup final really didn't help.

He'll be back on form once he gets a goal but it's true he does lack composure.

No one is going to take him. No one is going to pay considerable money for a striker who has led the line for a team that's won FA for the past three seasons. I'd have thought the lack of bids - which most people on here thought were coming at Christmas - would help support that idea.

So by your marvelous thought pattern, no one would buy Kane from Spurs! Most of the vastly over valued front men come from clubs that win FA ever.

So by your marvelous thought pattern, no one would buy Kane from Spurs! Most of the vastly over valued front men come from clubs that win FA ever.

A guy whose been top scorer in England and is captain of his international team vs. a guy who's playing for a team who has won sweet FA against one team in Scotland. Hardly comparable.

The most unluckiest player bar none, he's getting the shots but the goalkeepers all seem to play well against him. Add in defenders rushing in from all angles to bloke him, it's frustrating for us never mind him. A wee spell on the bench to take the pressure off,. He's missing Thursday anyway, I would rest him against Hearts too. It would force a wee change in our setup and hopefully Gerrard, plays to a different system, should work as we have the players to score against Hearts in Kamberi and Stewart, not to mention Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Arfield. It needs changed because at the moment we are flatter than a witches tit.

Can't believe how ungrateful some people are. I thought he played really well on Thursday despite not scoring. He's joint top scorer in Europa league, he always puts in a shift for us, his hold up play is brilliant. After all he's done I really don't get how people don't appreciate him.
Bit strong mate

For the first time (since the sending off v Celtic last season) I found myself getting annoyed at him today. There was a part of the game, where he didn’t even bother chasing the ball, which was def reachable, he just let it trickle out. I get sometimes being off form, but to not try a leg.

No one is going to take him. No one is going to pay considerable money for a striker who has led the line for a team that's won FA for the past three seasons. I'd have thought the lack of bids - which most people on here thought were coming at Christmas - would help support that idea.
Barcelona just paid about €20m for a guy whos scoring average is poor

You could see that Gerrard was absolutely fuming when he missed that chance when Kamberi flicked him through on goal. McAllister was even visibly pissed with him. I actually thought it was a difficult chance and didn’t sit right for him. He was subbed a few minutes after for Stewart.

So bizarre what’s happened to him. He really doesn’t look like his head is in it right now.

That miss arguably cost us as much as Katic’s howler.

After a tremendous first half of the season (goals, play and temperament) his penalty miss at Hampden, sending off at Parkhead and off-field pressures seem to have badly affected his play, and his head.

I have to confess I'm returning to the view that he can't be relied on and we might be better served by selling and bringing in proven quality (which will cost a good chunk of any Alfie transfer fee)

Sadly there's no room for sentiment- we need to start winning trophies soon and we need 11 reliable men out there to do that

I absolutely detest the way he hits the deck when a defender comes near him.
Big fucking carthorses that used to bounce off him.

Something's not right.

Amount of sitters he misses is unreal. Nearly all in biggish games.

Count in the daft suspensions etc, says a lot about his character tbh

He has no finesse to his game whatsoever.

Look at how the St Johnstone player took their first goal, that’s all that he had to do when he was through in goal. But no he fucks it up as usual.

He needs a long spell on the sidelines. Disgrace after winter break.
I think you’re a wee bit OTT but you have a point. He lacks composure

But no he fucks it up as usual...
Disgrace after winter break.
I'm assuming you're on the windup?
The man has 29 goals in 43 games this season so not sure how you come to the conclusion his usual is to "%^*& it up"

The only disgraceful thing is your post

Alfie's link-up play should have seen him remain on the pitch.
That and the fact that he's not playing on Wednesday, so didn't need rested.

However I think there's some truth in the complaints over his finishing.
His blast-it-and-see recent stuff is no better than how I'd be hitting the ball myself.

I'm unsure as to what coaching our players get.
Does Alfie get put onto a directed programme of varying shots -- low, chip, right corner, left corner, curl, blast, left foot, right foot, etc?
Then again, he's hardly the only player in the squad to need coaching in certain areas.

Do we have an attacking coach that can help improve Alfie and some others in this area ?

One of the reasons I can’t believe he took that penalty in the cup final.

Unfortunately that looks like a big moment in our season. That penalty should have been taken by Tav for two main reasons - one he was experienced in taking pressure penalties (prob has better dead ball technique than Morelos) and two, Morelos was under so much pressure to score against them. Now look at the silly situation we are in with everyone doing a good job to miss one.

Morelos’ form in 2020 has been absolutely woeful. I’m guessing the off field issues have played a big part.

What a huge moment that second yellow was in the OF game. Why he didn’t just take a shot - could have scored! Instead, we got the usual red card, gesture issue (blown up by the victims), suspension, Defoe injury (arguably caused by too many minutes over a short period of time)

I'm a huge Morelos fan but anyone can see he's struggling at the moment. Perhaps the off field nonsense has affected him. He is sulking about the pitch and I'm not seeing the same effort levels we were getting from him pre-Christmas. He looks low in confidence and in all honesty I do not believe he's in the same physical shape that he was in at the start of the season. Looks to be carrying extra weight. Sport scientists need to get on top of him.

You could see that Gerrard was absolutely fuming when he missed that chance when Kamberi flicked him through on goal. McAllister was even visibly pissed with him. I actually thought it was a difficult chance and didn’t sit right for him. He was subbed a few minutes after for Stewart.

It was a decent chance. To be fair, the bounce of the ball did seem to take it away from him.

He carried us the first half of the season and he’s hit some bad form so far this second half - unfortunately strikers can go through spells like this

We have far bigger issues currently than Morelos

I have watched the clips of training and he is lazy, disinterested, moody and fat as %^*&. Why Gerrard and his team dont get him sorted out is beyond me. It a case of 1 player bigger than the club??!

And dont anyone start with the personal problems, racism, media etc pish either. Hes paid to do a job and to keep himself in shape, 2 things he isnt doing at the moment.

Add on the fact he has let us down time n time again with suspensions. Get the guy away asap in summer

think we need to get rid in the summer. i like him but hes a liability some of the bookings he gets for the same shit ie dissent and diving is a joke.

He’s never been the best finisher. He hits the ball as hard as he can a vast majority of the time. I do feel he’s carrying too much weight and I also think he’s struggling with things off the field. Nothing is coming off for him.
Agree with you in that he lacks a wee bit of composure at times and maybe like Kent trying too hard.

People keep saying he needs a goal. Well he has against hamilton in the cup. Still an spl team and competitive game.

I'll still cut him a bit of slack. I remember people wanted him taking penalties earlier in the season. I didnt, as I think he's far more effective when he doesn't have too much time to think about it. We have been depending on him far too much and this was on the cards as there was no way he was going to keep scoring at the rate he was.

Barcelona just paid about €20m for a guy whos scoring average is poor
Was a weird sitution though, Barcelona had permission to sign a player from the Spanish league outside the transfer window due to injuries so they couldn't look abroad. And they probably didn't want to spend a fortune (by their standards) on someone they knew would be a temporary stopgap.

There is no other way Braithwaite would ever have ended up at a top club

I wonder why his confidence and mentality is shot to pieces right now? Erm...Well, I suppose it could be because;

1. The media have had a witch hunt against him since he came here
2. He's been subjected to sectarian and racist verbal abuse more than a few times both on and off the pitch
3. He's had hot drinks and objects thrown at a him by opposing fans and an abusive banner about his mother
4. The media crap about his car and making accusations up about his Mrs plotting against him
5. He and his wife are expecting their first child

In short he has had a load going on and tbh,its no shocker he's in poor form right now BUT, the whole team is poor right now and without Alfie's goals for us this season we wouldnt even be in the place we are right now.

There is a flaw in Alfie’s game. He holds the ball up really well. He competes with defenders but he is what I call a “whizz-bang” striker in that he is very good when shooting or heading at goal when there is no time to think about what to do. How many times does he score when through one-on-one against the goalkeeper? Not many! Last Thursday he had two attempts and shot straight at the keeper. There have been numerous similar occasions in other games with the same outcome. In the LC Final how many times did he shoot straight at Forster. It is always a blast. He never attempts to go past the keeper. When coming in from the right he always shifts the ball a foot to his right before shooting but that narrows his angle making the goalkeeper’s job easy.

Back