Morelos Finishing Is Not Good Enough

Was a weird sitution though, Barcelona had permission to sign a player from the Spanish league outside the transfer window due to injuries so they couldn't look abroad. And they probably didn't want to spend a fortune (by their standards) on someone they knew would be a temporary stopgap.

There is no other way Braithwaite would ever have ended up at a top club
True but was making point about average players going for decent amounts.

He's not influencing matches the way he used to. When did he last hold the ball up, use his arse to turn a defender? Either defenders have finally clicked not to get tight to him as he'll turn them, or he's lost interest/bang out of form.

yes Not playing great but just wish he got same service all year used to get. Most goals he has got made it himself. Just watch the games again the service is shocking. . He’s having to chase lost causes at times. The way we are playing not helping his cause. If you are honest surely you can’t disagree with that.

Personally, I thought most of the squad overtrained during the winter break.

Morelos is the exception. I felt he undertrained and came back out-of-condition.

My hope is that he trains hard, gets back into shape, and gets back on form.

Only through hard work can he find a higher level once again.

PS:

I thought he played well against Braga during the week, but today was not his best match.

For a professional football player to return from a self induced break overweight, unfit and head not in the right place is unprofessional. Any scout watching him recently will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

As for the off field stuff, strong characters roll their sleeves up and use the noise to inspire them to greatness... others go on the huff and feel sorry for themselves.

Alfredo has had a lot to put up with and he doesn't look fighting fit he looks slightly overweight and not as sharp as he was, if we get that part right and give him some time to get it right he'll be fine.
The mental side of what he has to endure and the constant harassing must take a toll, and the wife is pregnant too, he won't feel good about it himself as he is one of those players who is passionate about his game.
It is up to our coaches and the manager to help him through this as it is for the benefit of ALL of us.

Morelos form has dipped. In terms of pure football we imo should support him through what is hopefully a temporary dip in form. His discipline is another matter I am no longer able to excuse. Regarding yesterday 2 away goals should be enough to win a game against St Johnstone. Finishing wasn't great but defending was the main issue.

His finishing isnt the issue. It's his mentality that should be questioned.

Morelos looks like a player who knows his time at the club is over. Its moved on from being about the club to being about him. Everything winds him up. His head goes down if things arent going his way.

He'll be gone this summer. Another season would potentially damage his value.
Everything would probably wind you up too if you were constantly getting slated in the media for everything you do. Getting accused of lying about being racially abused. Fans making banners about your mother, referees holding you to a different standard. And to top it all off finding someone under your car trying to tamper with it. So I think its excusable if morelos has had abit of a mentality shift and c
Abt wait to be away from scotland

The alfie we had the first half of the season seems to have gone and in his place is an alfie who couldn't score in a brothel.

The only explanation that seems to make sense is that the off field stuff with him and his family has taken it’s toll.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s already made up his mind that he’s away in the summer to escape the shit he’s had to endure from the scum and their media pals.

He's not influencing matches the way he used to. When did he last hold the ball up, use his arse to turn a defender? Either defenders have finally clicked not to get tight to him as he'll turn them, or he's lost interest/bang out of form.

Or he's getting absolutely no service, which was the case yesterday.

The worrying thing is Defoe is t much better. We need a whole new frontline next season.
They have 46 goals between them in a total of 48 games this season, out of interest how many would you be expecting ?

The only explanation that seems to make sense is that the off field stuff with him and his family has taken it’s toll.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s already made up his mind that he’s away in the summer to escape the shit he’s had to endure from the scum and their media pals.

It's blatantly obvious the whole events of the last few weeks and months has taken it's toll on him.

He will be gone in the summer I reckon.

I’m losing patience and faith in him. I know players are mercenaries for the most part but in respect of his recent pay rise, was that initiated by the club or his agent?

Clearly meeting his terms hasn’t changed his form or attitude but I do get the feeling he is on the way out and he doesn’t really care what happens.

Lackadaisical at times and wasteful in front of goals.

I’m losing patience and faith in him. I know players are mercenaries for the most part but in respect of his recent pay rise, was that initiated by the club or his agent?

Clearly meeting his terms hasn’t changed his form or attitude but I do get the feeling he is on the way out and he doesn’t really care what happens.

Lackadaisical at times and wasteful in front of goals.
He hasn’t officially signed the new deal as yet

He is off form - even the biggest of Morelos fans won't deny that. He has 29 goals this season other than Defoe he is 20 goals ahead of the entire squad he's literally won us games on his own dragged us through the Europa League. How much would you value him for the one's saying sell ?

He's always been a bit erratic at times. It's just that we are going through a real dip in form that's it's more noticeable.

He is going through a bad spell which doesn't surprise me given everything that has gone on outside of the playing side.He's still a young guy with a lot to learn but he can come good again.Looks very much like his confidence in front of goal is shot and he is making the wrong decisions.

He looks miles off the pace at the minute but the truth is we don't have anyone else.

I've no doubt he will come good again but it needs to be sooner rather than later.

Him and Kent have been poor since the winter break. We can't afford to carry them any longer.

He's overweight

I agree, lost a yard of his pace.

I am 1 of Alfies biggest fans but two years running his petulance has cost us. I am also uneasy his form has dipped when signing talks were suggested. I for one hope we have learned our lesson. No more signing talks until you prove your a season pro.

At this rate he has done us no favours with latest form but for himself he has all but ended any chance of a premiership move. The club wont sell for under £20m and he has done nothing since his value got to this level. His value is regressing which is criminal due to his attitude IMHO.

How a professional footballer can not keep in top condition during a small break is scandalous.

The mhedia circus around him has worked. He is well off the boil.

Now the fans are turning on him as well. It’s a Lawwell Christmas.

do you think he is overweight? if the media circus has caused him to eat more or train less then I agree.

He's out of form, simple as that. When that happens its easy to look at other things which might be wrong and guess - off the field; overweight; in the huff etc - but I do think its just a form thing.

I agree, lost a yard of his pace.

I am 1 of Alfies biggest fans but two years running his petulance has cost us. I am also uneasy his form has dipped when signing talks were suggested. I for one hope we have learned our lesson. No more signing talks until you prove your a season pro.

At this rate he has done us no favours with latest form but for himself he has all but ended any chance of a premiership move. The club wont sell for under £20m and he has done nothing since his value got to this level. His value is regressing which is criminal due to his attitude IMHO.

How a professional footballer can not keep in top condition during a small break is scandalous.

I think if we get offered anything between £12-£15 million we will take it.

I think if we get offered anything between £12-£15 million we will take it.

I dont think so, He is at least worth 20m. Just needs man managed. Fight for his place etc. Kamberi starts for me and Alfie on the bench.

Kamberi and Defoe is worth considering, drop one of the #10s.

obv referring to league games

There is a flaw in Alfie’s game. He holds the ball up really well. He competes with defenders but he is what I call a “whizz-bang” striker in that he is very good when shooting or heading at goal when there is no time to think about what to do. How many times does he score when through one-on-one against the goalkeeper? Not many! Last Thursday he had two attempts and shot straight at the keeper. There have been numerous similar occasions in other games with the same outcome. In the LC Final how many times did he shoot straight at Forster. It is always a blast. He never attempts to go past the keeper. When coming in from the right he always shifts the ball a foot to his right before shooting but that narrows his angle making the goalkeeper’s job easy.
"Whizz-bang" sounds pish. Could you not have made up a better term ?
Tbh I cant think of any myself but maybe instinctive striker or impulsive striker ?

He's out of form, simple as that. When that happens its easy to look at other things which might be wrong and guess - off the field; overweight; in the huff etc - but I do think its just a form thing.

do you think he looks the same build/weight as before the new year?

It’s not when you see that the majority of games Defoe has started is against the bottom half sides at home. If Morelos had started those games he would be on many more goals for the season.

This is not true though he has scored against Aberdeen Hibs Motherwell all in the top half of the table I can't see why posters keep making stuff like this up when it's easily checkable.

It’s not when you see that the majority of games Defoe has started is against the bottom half sides at home. If Morelos had started those games he would be on many more goals for the season.
Morelos has 7 goals vs top 6 opposition and Defoe has 6 goals vs top 6 opposition.

Back