Morelos interview in The Record

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Taken from a radio interview in Colombia

Rangers star Alfredo Morelos admits need to fix fiery temper as he opens up on Ibrox future
The 22-year-old is in stunning form but his season has been blighted by suspensions.

Alfredo Morelos has revealed his battle to curb his fiery temper - but insists some of the red cards he has picked up this season were wrong.
The Colombian striker has spoken out on his discipline issues for the first time in a season in which he has been sent off four times, with one of those being rescinded.
Morelos is currently serving a three game ban after lashing out at Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna in a 4-2 win over the Dons.
Rangers have struggled without him and are yet to score in the two games he missed. He returned for the 5-0 win over Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup replay and grabbed four goals.
And he admits that things need to change on the park.

Speaking to Colombian radio station Caracol, he said: “I’m a little bit ill-tempered, especially when I’m on the park. Well, I think that everyone has their own opinion.

"Be it a fan, someone who knows a lot about football or someone who doesn't. Someone who is passionate about the game and someone who isn't but criticises it.
"I've received red cards that I've not deserved and that's why they've been appealed. Others such as my teammates, other players and even managers make mistakes. If it’s time for me to improve temperament on the field, then the best thing for me is that I do so."
The 22-year-old has had an impressive season and has netted 27 goals in 39 games so far.
It has attracted interest from England and abroad with Nice attempting to open talks with him in the January window.

And while Morelos insists he is happy to stay at Ibrox and working with Steven Gerrard, he admits he could leave the club in the summer if bids come in.
He added: “The topic about the offers is quite interesting, knowing that nothing happened now during the winter break there and that they wanted to keep me here at Rangers, and thats what happened. Now there are some good expectations about the summer.
"Like I said i know there’s a lot of teams interested but lets see what happens at the end of the season. I don’t have anything specific, which team(s) made an offer out of all the clubs interested, but I just know that there’s a lot of clubs interested.
“I feel very happy having the chance to be by his (Gerrard's) side and the confidence he gives me every day in training and in the games. I think that a player learn more with what he contributes to every session, what some say with respect to the style of training.
"I feel very happy to share this experience with such a great person, and secondly a great manager who has given me the chance to play and I've responded the best way possible. And I think i’m going to continue doing the same. It’s something that makes me very proud to be at the side of such a great person and such a great player.

(Image: Rangers FC/Press Association Ima)
"He let me know that he wants me to stay here with the team so that what he communicated with the press, that I was going to stay here. I don’t know if he spoke with the sporting director of the club but they didn’t accept any offer.
"I'm happy, he told me they want me to stay here, I had a conversation with him and he told me has was happy that i was here and finish the season with the club.”
The striker earned his first cap for Colombia earlier this season in a friendly with Venezuela but hasn't been called up since. Former Manchester United assistant Carlos Quiroz is the new manager of the side, and Morelos revealed he hasn't spoken to the Portuguese yet but hopes to hear from him soon and earn a call-up.

(Image: JOE SKIPPER/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)
He said: “I think it’s really interesting what’s happening day to day. Thanks to god I’m doing things the best I can do. The characteristics of a striker is to score and thanks to god I’ve had the opportunity to do so.
"Yesterday I scored four goals. I’m opening the door. I need to keep working and keeping doing things well to win my place with the national team.
“I’ve not spoken to the national team staff but there’s still a few days left before they announce the squad for the games. Let’s see what happens.
"I’m going to keep doing things the best I can, with the possible merit of receiving a call from them. It would be very nice for me - there’s nothing better than to play with the national team.”

When did he “ lash out” at Scott McKenna ?

He will be away at the end of the season. We will have a major problem replacing him no matter how much money we get.
He didn't lash out at anyone.
He actually did nothing wrong after being fouled and then was on the receipt of a violent boot in the face from the same guy who had fouled him.
Extraordinary and it led to a miscarriage of justice which was later compounded after a failed appeal.

Last edited:
When did he “ lash out” at Scott McKenna ?

He will be away at the end of the season. We will have a major problem replacing him no matter how much money we get.

Exactly! That became the narrative when he was sent off but the only person who lashed out was the dick on the ground who caught Morelos on the face with both his feet.

Exactly why the f?!ck sell him if we don’t have to and he wants to stay.

Thing is I understand he has to go at some point. It's our business model. But ideally I'd like him to leave after at least wins something (league) anything to stop them and goes with best wishes. I wouldn't even be angry if we sold him in summer as long as it's for a proper free

I would like to see an interview with Alfredo on RTV before he leaves at the end of the season. Candieas could interpret for him but i think he is such a favorite with us that it would be great to see him speak to the fans.

I know he’ll get offered a deal somewhere that we can’t compete with. But if he stays with us, he could be a legend.

I know we can’t compete financially with a lot of clubs, however let’s not kid ourselves, playing for Rangers can make for a very comfortable life for a good footballer and still get paid a wage we can only dream of.

Thing is I understand he has to go at some point. It's our business model. But ideally I'd like him to leave after at least wins something (league) anything to stop them and goes with best wishes. I wouldn't even be angry if we sold him in summer as long as it's for a proper free
I would hold onto him like grim death. I reckon he is irreplaceable just look at our record when he is not in the team.

One day we sell him but not yet he has a lot of unfinished business to deal with not just for us but also establishing himself in the National Team.

There is only one Alfredo.

He is now a £20m+ player and there is no way we can hang onto him.

We might be able to keep him to get us through the first couple of champions league/ Europa league qualifiers and providing he does the business then his value might rocket even more.

But the great news about this story is that lots of really decent young footballers will look at Rangers under Steve Gerrard as a realistic option of joining the club and becoming a superstar and international.

No idea what his terms are just now, but at the end of the season offer him another extension and make him the highest paid player at the club, he is the best player afterall. See what he makes of that.

Sounds like hes off in the summer.

No it doesn't. Hand him Pena's wages and get another extention. What does he have to lose ?

Stay here,win the league and improve his game under Gerrard and be the best player in the country...it'll only serve him well in the future, he's still in his early twenties FFS.

No it doesn't. Hand him Pena's wages and get another extention. What does he have to lose ?

Stay here,win the league and improve his game under Gerrard and be the best player in the country...it'll only serve him well in the future, he's still in his early twenties FFS.
If he wants to get picked on a regular basis for his country he will need to leave scotland and that is his number one goal.

Praying he sits down and signs a years extension on improved dough with understanding we move him next year. Another year development and crack at title won't hurt him

I’d imagine we said that last summer to him. He will have bigger suitors this summer than last.

Exactly why the f?!ck sell him if we don’t have to and he wants to stay.

Because huge offers will come in that the club can’t refuse, and on top of that Alfie will be offered wages that dwarf anything we can offer him, he’ll get to play a better league with better players and with exposure, he won’t have the Scottish media lying about him and vilifying him.

Obviously wants to play at a higher level and who could blame him as a football career is a short one and with the money on offer it would be hard to refuse, If we get real good money for him it might allow us a replacement and a couple of better quality players,sadly i don't think we would get all the Morelos money to spend.

Because huge offers will come in that the club can’t refuse, and on top of that Alfie will be offered wages that dwarf anything we can offer him, he’ll get to play a better league with better players and with exposure, he won’t have the Scottish media lying about him and vilifying him.
I dare say this will happen in time but it may not be this season.

The Directors have said that they will provide soft loans and convert to equity for another 2 years.

We seem to receive bids for Alfredo in every transfer window but they are apparently for disrespectful amounts. So who knows maybe he stays one more season wins the league and gets us through the qualifying rounds of the CL before leaving as a legend.

If he leaves prematurely the support will be devastated and besides he looks happy enough to me. Why not get him to sign a new contract and give him a couple of million pounds for his trouble.

NS

It doesn't read very well cos it's very literal - Google translate, if you will. Has anyone found the original?

I feel very happy having the chance to be by his (Gerrard's) side and the confidence he gives me every day in training and in the games. I think that a player learn more with what he contributes to every session, what some say with respect to the style of training.
"I feel very happy to share this experience with such a great person, and secondly a great manager who has given me the chance to play and I've responded the best way possible. And I think i’m going to continue doing the same. It’s something that makes me very proud to be at the side of such a great person and such a great player.

This paragraph says to me he's thinking of staying.

IMO he is 100% moving on in the summer.

He will want to and we actually need to cash in on him while we can and reinvest in the team.

Good for all parties, in reality.

I don’t think it’s the certainty some think that he will leave. It all come down to the bids coming in. Every player has their price but I would not accept a penny less than the Dumbelle fee. He is a better player.

Back