Morelos/Kent contracts?

Briggsybear

Getting close to transfer deadline day now. Anyone have news on progress in the talks on contract renewals for both?

Suspect both leave it until the window closes.

EPL clubs could yet go daft in the closing weeks.

As much as folk will get all ragey about it, Alfie is our only real risk of losing I think.

If he’d been fit and scoring, I suspect we’d be in trouble.

So many EPL teams need a striker late in the window.

Brighton & Everton especially - both who could offer him mega money.

Surprised he hasn’t been snapped up tbh. He’d be a vast improvement for both clubs.

We heard weeks ago Tav had resigned yet was only officially announced the other day, few days after rumours of tav resigned rumours appeared that Kent And Alfie had resigned so maybe find out soon

WATP

They are allowed to sign contracts at any point
This would be realistically our last chance of a fee for either. If they don't resign before the window closes then they could walk next season for nothing. I would much rather both stayed but can we really afford to let them go for nothing or a pittance in January?

Or they signed already and will be announced on Thursday if it all goes tits up the night before.

Just about to say similar.

I think staying or going is probably already settled, perhaps even signed off, just waiting for the appropriate announcement time (a fillip after a defeat is certainly possible).

We run a really tight ship these days on player contracts and signing players .
I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if both have resigned and the club are waiting on the opportune moment to announce that.

Just my own personal feeling.

This would be realistically our last chance of a fee for either. If they don't resign before the window closes then they could walk next season for nothing. I would much rather both stayed but can we really afford to let them go for nothing or a pittance in January?
We are either supremely confident they are resigning or happy to take the risk.

What if their current contracts have clauses stating if we qualify for CL their wages go up? Hence why they (and we) are waiting to see what happens. If we Qualify they get a wage rise and we negotiate contracts from that position. If we don’t then we negotiate contracts from their current positions.

If they don’t sign, we have to sell.
We don’t. This idea that we have to sell any player in his last year is nonsense. Some players might run down their contracts - it will happen. Some we get massive fees for, some we don’t. It isn’t really about individual sales, our finances will be balanced by cumulative sales from the squad.

Two of our biggest assets financially if they were on long term contracts.

Would be madness to let them both play out this season without having signed new deals.

As important as they are to the team we cannot afford to let players like that potentially leave for nothing next year.

Two of our biggest assets financially if they were on long term contracts.

Would be madness to let them both play out this season without having signed new deals.

As important as they are to the team we cannot afford to let players like that potentially leave for nothing next year.

Or flip side

Two of best and key players stay and we win league with auto entry to cl group stage next season

Ie, financially and in pursuit of the league we CAN afford to keep both and lose them rather than risk not winning the league

Even if they have desires of leaving I'd give them a wage bump with a reasonable release clause in their contracts probably about £15m for an extension

Being perfectly honest, you can’t expect players of their quality to play St Johnstone 40 times.

Both are available for what the Epl pay for an exciting youngster but no buyers so far or interest.

I think both will renew if not sell them.

Champions league money decides this , if we go through they know they can negotiate much bigger deals , if we don’t are we forced to sell ??

We don’t. This idea that we have to sell any player in his last year is nonsense. Some players might run down their contracts - it will happen. Some we get massive fees for, some we don’t. It isn’t really about individual sales, our finances will be balanced by cumulative sales from the squad.

We do. Cumulative sales will take a while to catch up after watching a 7million signing walk out the door for free.

We do. Cumulative sales will take a while to catch up after watching a 7million signing walk out the door for free.
Not really - we've made a fortune on Bassey and Paterson, that more than offsets not getting a fee for Kent. As I said, some players will make us money, some won't. You also have to factor in the value you get from the player when he is here, not just the transfer fees in and out.

I don't think either signing is dependant on CL qualification.

My guess is that both deals are all but agreed. However, the players, no doubt on their Agent's advice, don't want to put pen to paper 'just in case' an offer comes in late in the window that appeals to them. Not ideal for Rangers but the player is in control here, as always.

If I'm correct I'd expect both deals to be announced in the build-up to the game at the DhimDome.

Not really - we've made a fortune on Bassey and Paterson, that more than offsets not getting a fee for Kent. As I said, some players will make us money, some won't. You also have to factor in the value you get from the player when he is here, not just the transfer fees in and out.

Just have to agree to disagree. The Patterson and Bassey money have come in after years of continued losses and director loans. They’ll be swallowed up already. To get above the watermark we can’t let arguably our two best players walk away for nothing. If they don’t sign, sell.

Just have to agree to disagree. The Patterson and Bassey money have come in after years of continued losses and director loans. They’ll be swallowed up already. To get above the watermark we can’t let arguably our two best players walk away for nothing. If they don’t sign, sell.
As above, I think both will sign. However, if they don't, then in order to sell you need two things. A buyer willing to offer a fee you will accept and, probably more importantly, a player willing to be transferred. If the player decides he wants to run down his contract then that is his right, as per Goldson last season. Other than penalising ourselves by then refusing to play them, there is not a lot the Club can do.

Or flip side

Two of best and key players stay and we win league with auto entry to cl group stage next season

Ie, financially and in pursuit of the league we CAN afford to keep both and lose them rather than risk not winning the league
That was the same argument last season with Goldson and look how that turned out.

I don't think either signing is dependant on CL qualification.

My guess is that both deals are all but agreed. However, the players, no doubt on their Agent's advice, don't want to put pen to paper 'just in case' an offer comes in late in the window that appeals to them. Not ideal for Rangers but the player is in control here, as always.

If I'm correct I'd expect both deals to be announced in the build-up to the game at the DhimDome.
I think this is most likely the case yeah, there's always the chance a club with a poor start to the season makes a crazy money bid for a player in last year of contract so until then we will keep it quiet.

I fully expect both players to sign contracts, there hasn't been a great deal of interest in either player at the top level in past couple of years.

I must have missed all these clubs making bids repeatedly for either of them. If nobody comes in we cannot sell. Also if they don't want to sign an extension then so be it. The players have all the rights anyway.

Back