Morelos/Kent contracts?

I’ve kind of convinced myself that Alfie will extend his contract.. never really convinced that Kent will stay beyond his current deal.

Going into the final year you lose the opportunity of a “decent” offer though… someone will come in with a teaser for £5m or so I’m sure… it sure where that would leave us.
Matondo is certainly known for playing out on the left side and I think signing him gave us a great option on the right side but also an insurance policy on Kent leaving.

I don't think either signing is dependant on CL qualification.

My guess is that both deals are all but agreed. However, the players, no doubt on their Agent's advice, don't want to put pen to paper 'just in case' an offer comes in late in the window that appeals to them. Not ideal for Rangers but the player is in control here, as always.

If I'm correct I'd expect both deals to be announced in the build-up to the game at the DhimDome.
First time i've heard it called that. I likes it:))

As above, I think both will sign. However, if they don't, then in order to sell you need two things. A buyer willing to offer a fee you will accept and, probably more importantly, a player willing to be transferred. If the player decides he wants to run down his contract then that is his right, as per Goldson last season. Other than penalising ourselves by then refusing to play them, there is not a lot the Club can do.
As above, I think both will sign. However, if they don't, then in order to sell you need two things. A buyer willing to offer a fee you will accept and, probably more importantly, a player willing to be transferred. If the player decides he wants to run down his contract then that is his right, as per Goldson last season. Other than penalising ourselves by then refusing to play them, there is not a lot the Club can do.
Painful the amount on here who don’t understand this - as if we can force players to extend their deals / transfer somewhere they don’t want to go / not leave under freedom of contract or force clubs to make suitable bids for our players.

Painful the amount on here who don’t understand this - as if we can force players to extend their deals / transfer somewhere they don’t want to go / not leave under freedom of contract or force clubs to make suitable bids for our players.
Those with the the "make them train with the reserves, then they'll do as their told" train of thought.

From the same school as "sign him up on a play-as-you-play" deal.

Thanks for that. Why bother with contracts in football anywhere? I’m amazed there are ever any sales of players. Just scrap transfers and let them all go for free. It’s painful the amount on here who think they’ve cornered the pork bellies market in buying and selling.

If the club can’t sell in the last year of deals due to short contract length, they shouldn’t get themselves into this situation in the first place. First Goldson then Aribo, Alfie and Kent. Not great forward planning with 4 of our top assets. If we can’t sell as no one is interested, we will have to lower the price until they are.

Motivation of players running out deals drops off and it becomes toxic when they sign pre contracts with other clubs. If the crowd turned on Alfie and Kent in February it would be a horrible end.

Ideally they will sign and we learn from it.

Thanks for that. Why bother with contracts in football anywhere? I’m amazed there are ever any sales of players. Just scrap transfers and let them all go for free. It’s painful the amount on here who think they’ve cornered the pork bellies market in buying and selling.

If the club can’t sell in the last year of deals due to short contract length, they shouldn’t get themselves into this situation in the first place. First Goldson then Aribo, Alfie and Kent. Not great forward planning with 4 of our top assets. If we can’t sell as no one is interested, we will have to lower the price until they are.

Motivation of players running out deals drops off and it becomes toxic when they sign pre contracts with other clubs. If the crowd turned on Alfie and Kent in February it would be a horrible end.

Have teams been banging at the door for those 4 players you named? Offering what we would deem to be good value?

You say it’s a terrible strategy and terrible forward planning but goldson has signed back on, we will have at least trebled our money on aribo and the other two are in contract negotiations currently. Hardly the negligence you are suggesting.

We will have approached all of them a year or so ago ‘do you want to talk contracts’.

They will all have said ‘speak to my agent but I just want to concentrate on football’. Agent will want to hold out in case a big bid comes in. If you genuinely think we have only started trying to get these guys signed on now then you will 100% be wrong.

Kent and Alfie I think are signing anyhow. We touted aribo as soon as he obviously said he wouldn’t sign on again. The same has not happened with Kent and Alfie.

Goes without saying we all would love them to sign a long term deal but the longer it goes on does make you think they are still looking for a better deal elsewhere

If either of them do extend, you can guarantee they'll have 'Aribo-esque' release clauses in their new contracts.

I hear Alfie still has his bottom lip out after Gio *nutmegged him at training

Edit from butegged :oops:

Last edited:
Not that I want our stars to leave, but if a PL team doesn’t come in for Kent, feck knows what they’re all about. Kent is made for the PL.

We run a really tight ship these days on player contracts and signing players .
I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if both have resigned and the club are waiting on the opportune moment to announce that.

Just my own personal feeling.
This is what I thought

Win in Holland announce it seem like they signed as we qualified

Or

Lose in Holland and announce them as a pick me up for everyone

Can’t see anyone coming in for Morelos when he can’t keep his weight down.

Kent isn’t producing the numbers for a decent bid.

Why should it? Even if we bump their salaries a bit it shouldn’t have a massive wage bill impact. I suspect they’re not re-signing.
It does when the next lot of contracts are up for renewal and that is the starting point for agents.

In an ideal world, we keep both and they sign long-term extensions.
On their day they are our best 2 players but Kent hasn't performed often enough.

I'd take a big offer for Kent before the window but would keep Morelos.

Tell us how the club avoids getting themselves into this situation? They can’t move the player on if the player doesn’t want to go. They can’t sell him if nobody offers for him? They can’t force them to extend.

If kent and Morelos are determined to leave under freedom of contract and bag a big signing on fee etc, there’s nothing the club can do about that - the club are not at fault if that’s the payers wish.

Why do we bother with contracts? It’s an agreed term on agreed wages that allow us to hold the registration of that player. If the wish to leave at the end of that contract then they can.

Tell us how the club avoids getting themselves into this situation? They can’t move the player on if the player doesn’t want to go. They can’t sell him if nobody offers for him? They can’t force them to extend.

If kent and Morelos are determined to leave under freedom of contract and bag a big signing on fee etc, there’s nothing the club can do about that - the club are not at fault if that’s the payers wish.

Why do we bother with contracts? It’s an agreed term on agreed wages that allow us to hold the registration of that player. If the wish to leave at the end of that contract then they can.

See my previous. Buying and selling within contract has happened the world over since the start of contracts and is still dominant even after Bosman. You make it sound like the stars need to align to get a player out the door. I’m a fan and don’t know the workings behind the scenes, if anyone has offered for the players or if they want to go. Neither do you so spare me your championship manager patter.

See my previous. Buying and selling within contract has happened the world over since the start of contracts and is still dominant even after Bosman. You make it sound like the stars need to align to get a player out the door. I’m a fan and don’t know the workings behind the scenes, if anyone has offered for the players or if they want to go. Neither do you so spare me your championship manager patter.
Eh I dunno if youve realised but you need a buyer, a seller and a willing player so yeah the stars do need to align.

Championship manager patter? This is football forum where people discuss things like this. I’d just leave it there if I were you.

Eh I dunno if youve realised but you need a buyer, a seller and a willing player so yeah the stars do need to align.

Championship manager patter? This is football forum where people discuss things like this. I’d just leave it there if I were you.

We both want the players to re sign.

If they don’t sign I want the club to try and sell them. You don’t think that’s possible. I do.

That doesn’t mean your right, no matter how many times you mention those three seemingly impossible variables that have been overcome since the start of football.

Thank god I never said to you we should get rid of Matt Polster mid contract or you’d combust.

I’ll leave it there.

We both want the players to re sign.

If they don’t sign I want the club to try and sell them. You don’t think that’s possible. I do.

That doesn’t mean your right, no matter how many times you mention those three seemingly impossible variables that have been overcome since the start of football.

Thank god I never said to you we should get rid of Matt Polster mid contract or you’d combust.

I’ll leave it there.
I agree we both want them to re-sign.

I never said it’s not possible to sell them, not once. I said we need a club willing to buy and the player willing to move. We also need to get near our valuation and decide whether or not they are worth more to us by remaining in the squad. A vast difference.

I think you’ve read my OP and taken it as a dig in response to your post - it wasn’t - it was a general observation that many on here think we can just move players out whenever we wish to do so.

Polster is a completely different debate in that he’s not a first team regular, has minimal value and wasnt missed.

If next Wed goes the wrong way, I’d be looking to sell one if not both this transfer window.

We simply cannot afford to lose both players for nothing next summer.

Reactions: TPP
If next Wed goes the wrong way, I’d be looking to sell one if not both this transfer window.

We simply cannot afford to lose both players for nothing next summer.
If Morelos and kent have a great season to put themselves in the shop window and win us the league and into the UCL then it’s not the worst. I’d rather that than sell them for a low offer in the last days of the window with no time to get suitable replacements in.

Looks quite obvious they are both seeing at least this window out to see if any opportunity comes along.
Explain? Not sure how you can say this. My view is that if GVB thought they weren’t going to sign he’d have moved at least 1 on by now. Both players look happy so I think it’s just a timing issue

Were Aston villa not interested in Alfredo in January transfer window ? or was it mischief story by papers
I was really surprised Gerrard didn't come in for Goldson,given how he convinced him to sign for Rangers,but I just can't see Alfie going to Villa. I think surely if they were going they'd have went by now and not this late in the window. Surely it's down to those two to make sure we get to the CL,okay Alfie hasn't featured but I can see him playing in Wednesday and wouldn't be surprised if he starts as he needs the minutes.

I was really surprised Gerrard didn't come in for Goldson,given how he convinced him to sign for Rangers,but I just can't see Alfie going to Villa. I think surely if they were going they'd have went by now and not this late in the window. Surely it's down to those two to make sure we get to the CL,okay Alfie hasn't featured but I can see him playing in Wednesday and wouldn't be surprised if he starts as he needs the minutes.
Gerrard has big money to spend I think players here will not be of interest to him now, he's shopping at a different level.

Sometimes a player is worth more to you playing his final year than the fee you would get.

A fully fit, sharp and in form Alfie is worth more staying than what we get selling him now.

Sometimes a player is worth more to you playing his final year than the fee you would get.

A fully fit, sharp and in form Alfie is worth more staying than what we get selling him now.
Agreed, if its say 4 million...... think of it this way would you pay that to loan them for a year? Obviously it is very loosely viable given wages ontop

Not exactly the two performances you’d expect from two players keen to stay at the club. Both need their arses booted (amongst some others)

Why does Morelos even put himself in that position, from the little raise of the leg to trip up someone, then swinging his arm and hitting someone in the face, when definitely not needed.

Morelos needs to grow up. Quick.

When Gollum is in the mood to red card our players for yellow card offences and to yellow card Hibs players for red card offences, you dont swing your hand round into their face. You just don't.

Back