Morelos/Kent & Ross Wilson.

its also a necessity if you want player trading to work. I’m actually surprised people are defending someone who Is sub standard in the role he fills.

I'm suprised you think that mate.

I think the board will be fairly content with his player trading so far, particularly Bassey.

He signed him for practically nothing, was on a fairly modest wage during his early development with us and we sold him for plenty.
Patterson and Aribo too was very good business.

Tom Lawrence was also a very good Bosman signing this season too.
He'd plenty of clubs chasing him.

That's the logic applied for guys like Roofe, Lundstrom, Davies, Souttar, Lawerence, etc. No real resale value due to age. And/or injuries.

With guys like Kent and Morelos they are signed with the view of improving them and selling on for profit. Them walking out the door for nothing, is dreadful from a financial aspect. Replacing Morelos and Kent with no money coming in for them is going to be a massive uphill task.

There are quality players out there but it will be hard to replace 2 of our best players with no money coming in. Add in being on the ffp watchlist and no real sellable assets left outside kamara, when other areas of the squad need strengthened and replaced. We really need to win the league this season and get guaranteed champions league money or outside Ross Wilson having the summer of his life, we could regress big time next summer.
These guys are human beings who pay agents to work for them, they'll be advising the players not just for their benefit, but also their own.

Why are we so different when the likes of chelsea and liverpool can lose out on players and I've no doubt plenty other big clubs.

Maybe fans should stick to the football instead of some thinking they know how to run a football club.

Unfortunately without bids or player agreement then Ross Wilson cant sell or make them sign. Losing them for nothing in the summer would be a blow however, we have had huge value back in return for them considering their performances in europe, last season Kent in particular.

Yeah, maybe we might be able to punt them for a couple of million in Jan but if we are in a tight title race, with 30m going to the winner, maybe it would be biting our nose to spite our face to get rid of them and weaken our challenge.

Time will tell. Hopefully both extend. Not just because of the money, but because they are 2 of the best players in scotland.

Kent - has looked disinterested for a while and looks like he could do with a fresh challenge.
Curious to know what a fresh challenge would look like for Kent. Top 6 in EPL isn’t going to happen for Kent as much as I love what he’s done for us

So what would you have done o have avoided the situation? To stop you being sacked?
I’m a mechanical engineer not a director of football so I wouldn’t have a clue, possibly sold them on the benefits of signing a new contract or tried to invoke some sense of loyalty by asking that if they have no intention of staying would they be open to a move to allow the club to recoup a transfer fee.

How many years have we been hearing now that we're going to get tens of millions for Morelos and Kent?

In the event neither of these players sign new contracts and sit tight until the end of the season we will conservatively be watching 15-20 million of talent walking for nothing. If this comes to pass then surely Ross Wilson should be sacked for gross negligence?

Even if we are forced to sell both in January at vastly reduced fees that would be totally unacceptable. Truth be told it’s unacceptable we find ourselves in this situation at all. If players won’t sign new contracts with 12 months left our model surely makes it a necessity they should be sold.

Who had bid for them?
Who has bid an acceptable amount for them?
Who is to say that they’re not telling the club all the right things and the club believe them?
Who says we didn’t trying and get rid of them?
Who says they’ve knocked back moves after we accepted bids?

Unfortunately like every other club we have to accept some times things will not go our way and we need to make sure we have more Aribo, Patterson & Bassey’s to offset any bad luck.

situation should be pre empted by telling the players we would actively looking for buyers if they don’t extend.
THat response in itself confirms you are clueless, not sure if you've noticed but the 70s was 50 years ago. yiu Don’t tell anyone they are leaving

Did you see him vs braga, red star, dortmund and leipzig? He made Europa team of the season. That is what other clubs will be watching, not how he does against dundee utd etc.
Yes, he's been great in Europe granted, but what team would buy a guy who only bothers to perform in the biggest games?

I’m a mechanical engineer not a director of football so I wouldn’t have a clue, possibly sold them on the benefits of signing a new contract or tried to invoke some sense of loyalty by asking that if they have no intention of staying would they be open to a move to allow the club to recoup a transfer fee.
Well let me know what you design so I don’t buy it.

See if we were knocking back bids left, right and centre for Kent and Morelos whilst their contracts run down then I could understand the anger towards Ross Wilson. Now I am not a particularly big Ross Wilson fan but what exactly is he suppose to do when no one is willing to bid for these players? Tell everyone that we are desperate to sell them and drive down thr price? We as a fan base need to realise that the players have all the power now. Sometimes we will strike rich (Bassey, Patterson etc) and sometimes we will lose good players for nothing. We do not need to go into meltdown mode when this happens.

In the event neither of these players sign new contracts and sit tight until the end of the season we will conservatively be watching 15-20 million of talent walking for nothing. If this comes to pass then surely Ross Wilson should be sacked for gross negligence?

Even if we are forced to sell both in January at vastly reduced fees that would be totally unacceptable. Truth be told it’s unacceptable we find ourselves in this situation at all. If players won’t sign new contracts with 12 months left our model surely makes it a necessity they should be sold.
If either player decides to see out his contract, and ignores all or any offers, there is not much Wilson can do.

You haven’t a clue but you want Wilson sacked ?

We can only sell them if we get an offer and even then, we can't force them to go. Both of them may well have been told by their agents to sit tight and hold out for a big signing on fee as a free agent at the end of the season. It happens and when it does, there's nothing we or any other club can do about it. Sometimes we'll win out of it. Sometimes we'll lose. It's the way of the footballing world nowadays.

Sensationalist nonsense.

How do you:

a) force players in to signing contract extensions
b) force other clubs to pay a suitable fee for players who are perfectly entitled to see out their contract

Of course there is c), who says they are not going to stay?

Last edited:
'Relaxed' is how he described his feeling towards Connor Goldson's contract situation.

I believe both Morelos and Kent's contract will be resolved in the same manner.
There was a rumour that there was a clause in Goldson's original contract if he extended his exiting contract we had to pay £1m to Brighton. Not sure however if this applies to Kent or Alfie

Curious to know what a fresh challenge would look like for Kent. Top 6 in EPL isn’t going to happen for Kent as much as I love what he’s done for us
Clubs like Everton, Villa, Leeds etc would take Kent on a free.

No transfer fee and low wages (for them).. its a risk free signing for a guy who's performed well in the latter stages of European football.

It would obvously be down to him whether he'd be interested.. which I suspect he would.

Very simple. Both players should have been sold in the summer if he knew they weren’t going to sign the contracts.
You need three things:

Someone needs to want to sign them.

Said buyer needs to offer an acceptable fee.

The player has to want to join said buyer.

If any one of those doesn't fall into place, then the player cannot/will not be sold. If the player wants to run down his contract because he sees that as his best option, then the player cannot/will not be sold. All the power here lies with the player. The Club/DoF can do little without the player agreeing and, if they don't, then the Club can do little about it. Bench them/drop them? Yeah, cut off your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

We have been talking to both about new contracts for many, many months. I will be honest, I expected Kent to sign. It would seem he wants more than we are prepared to offer though. Morelos I have no idea, but he's never made it a secret he wants to play in a better League. It is the players choice that will determine how this ends, not the Club's.

Rest assured, the Agents of both players will have been hawking them around for the last few months. The Club doesn't need to do anything on that score these days - all Agent driven.

Would say the biggest issue with Alfie especially is how much room is there for us to negotiate a new deal with him given he had 2 new contracts in space of 9 months. He must be or at least close to 1 of the highest earners in the squad already and we clearly have a figure on the wage bill that we won't break.

It's annoying to lose them for free if they go but it wasn't so long ago we knocked back £16m from Lille for Alfie which could of course with hindsight started our players trading model earlier.

Yes, he's been great in Europe granted, but what team would buy a guy who only bothers to perform in the biggest games?
Happens all the time mate. Clubs will be looking to see how he has done against top opposition. They will probably attribute the domestic form now to him becoming disinterested with the spl.

Nobody can make them sign new contracts and you need buyers before any player can be sold. Truth is there has been very very little interest in both players but let’s have another post bashing Wilson it’s great fun and not in the least bit boring.

Nobody can make them sign new contracts and you need buyers before any player can be sold. Truth is there has been very very little interest in both players but let’s have another post bashing Wilson it’s great fun and not in the least bit boring.

Thanks for your input. No need to read it or reply if it’s boring? But you chose to so you could have a crack, now that’s boring, but utterly predictable.

You need three things:

Someone needs to want to sign them.

Said buyer needs to offer an acceptable fee.

The player has to want to join said buyer.

If any one of those doesn't fall into place, then the player cannot/will not be sold. If the player wants to run down his contract because he sees that as his best option, then the player cannot/will not be sold. All the power here lies with the player. The Club/DoF can do little without the player agreeing and, if they don't, then the Club can do little about it. Bench then/drop them? Yeah, cut off your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

We have been talking to both about new contracts for many, many months. I will be honest, I expected Kent to sign. It would seem he wants more than we are prepared to offer though. Morelos I have no idea, but he's never made it a secret he wants to play in a better League. It is the players choice that will determine how this ends, not the Club's.
Good to see a bit of sense on here.

Some folk seem to think it's as easy as saying "we'll take £10m" and that's the player gone.

Our players trading model is going well. We've made profit, got to a European final, signed players who have taken us to the Champions League.

I'd be sad to see Kent and Morelos go for nothing, but they've made us a lot of money by playing to a high standard in Europe. Even the biggest clubs lose players for free. The players have the power.

The same with Morelos we missed the boat on selling them when their stock was high.

Say we had sold them when their stock was high, would we be where we are now ?

Achieved 55, progressed annually in Europe to a name of standing again, getting European football that allows us to attract and retain players ?

Morelos and Kent are this years Goldson, they divide opinion as much as any of our players. Could we be getting more for our money? We’ve certainly had our money’s worth.

Thanks for your input. No need to read it or reply if it’s boring? But you chose to so you could have a crack, now that’s boring, but utterly predictable.
I'd probably disagree with the word boring, but it's certainly jumping on the bandwagon.

If you went back to the day Wilson joined us, what targets would you set in terms of player trading, development of the academy and other footballing aspects of the club?

I'd probably disagree with the word boring, but it's certainly jumping on the bandwagon.

If you went back to the day Wilson joined us, what targets would you set in terms of player trading, development of the academy and other footballing aspects of the club?
As a minimum that he addressed the glaring weaknesses in our squad, Right wing and CM.

Not really they would be taking up a space someone else could fill who wants to be here are play for Rangers.
If they were as good as everyone thought they would have sold easily in this window.
It doesn't work that way though, A player can say I want to leave at the end of the season or as soon as a bid from the EPL comes in but still carry on playing.
Probably the majority of players do that, Arribo did it last season

Say we had sold them when their stock was high, would we be where we are now ?

Achieved 55, progressed annually in Europe to a name of standing again, getting European football that allows us to attract and retain players ?

Morelos and Kent are this years Goldson, they divide opinion as much as any of our players. Could we be getting more for our money? We’ve certainly had our money’s worth.
That we will never know, but keeping them and losing them for nothing we do know is chucking away money.
If our plan was to get money once they progressed as players we have failed.
Both of these players are worth very little now, so much so when both could have picked up cheaply this window no one came in for them.

Sadly I think we could be forced into selling these two in January for about £1m or lower each. Clubs down south and abroad would be willing to offer them way more than Rangers can afford in wages that's for sure.

The January window is pretty vital now we need to be looking at players in the same situation at other clubs and Bosman signings for the future.

Throwing £2m on the final day of the window at another Ramsey type player just isn't on. Serious homework needs to be done over the world cup period when we have the time.
No we won’t mate , better off keeping them than getting £2 million for them both.

£6/7 million & you might be right.

If these two players want to leave on a free but no one wants them, or at least no one that the players are happy with the calibre of teams, terms being offered or league. What happens when they want a new contract from us? Surely we are within our rights to offer them less lucrative contracts as they are only signing because no one wants them.

I realise its an unlikely scenario but personally I want players who want to be at our club.

Alfredo has always made it clear we are a stepping stone and considering the enormous difference we have made to his life his stance annoys the shit out me.

THat response in itself confirms you are clueless, not sure if you've noticed but the 70s was 50 years ago. yiu Don’t tell anyone they are leaving
Clueless? Calm down. And I’m aware when the 70’s was.

Morelos and Kent will both sign new deals as no other team will match what we are offering them,2 players who's form going back nearly 12 month is poor

It doesn't work that way though, A player can say I want to leave at the end of the season or as soon as a bid from the EPL comes in but still carry on playing.
Probably the majority of players do that, Arribo did it last season
I would not use Aribo as a yardstick for a player who kept playing. Players going to their future clubs will not want to pick up injuries so they will not be committed.

He keeps on saying the same thing but the fans aren’t relaxed.

No idea why we haven’t tied them down yet.
I'm against tieing fans down in principle. Ross Wilson needs shot though.

Last edited:
Bumped into Ross Wilson in hospitality section at Tynecastle on Saturday and asked him about above.

He said he’s “relaxed” about the situation and talks are always ongoing.
I think Kent has a club to go to and is going either in January for buttons or free end of the season.
Morelos I’m not so sure he has a club but will be gone I don’t see him signing a new deal I’d be surprised.

You think he’s doing a stellar job I assume?

I have no idea who makes the final decisions on what players we sell, or chose to keep. I would imagine the Manager would have the major say and Wilson has to try and make it work.

However what I do know is players have contracts Clubs must honour, you can’t force a player to sign a new contract no matter how much money you offer them, and even we as a Club have a wage structure that limits how far we can go. How do we know we haven’t offered them new deals they haven’t signed yet, like Goldson.

Wilson’s first job was getting rid of Herrera and Grezda from lengthy expensive contracts. He has been working his way through trimming a bloated squad.

Would you still want to be watching Firth, Hastie, Middleton, Katic, Edmundson, Jones, Barker, Polster, Murphy, Docherty, or have we improved on them ?

I have no idea who makes the final decisions on what players we sell, or chose to keep. I would imagine the Manager would have the major say and Wilson has to try and make it work.

However what I do know is players have contracts Clubs must honour, you can’t force a player to sign a new contract no matter how much money you offer them, and even we as a Club have a wage structure that limits how far we can go. How do we know we haven’t offered them new deals they haven’t signed yet, like Goldson.

Wilson’s first job was getting rid of Herrera and Grezda from lengthy expensive contracts. He has been working his way through trimming a bloated squad.

Would you still want to be watching Firth, Hastie, Middleton, Katic, Edmundson, Jones, Barker, Polster, Murphy, Docherty, or have we improved on them ?

Not denying he’s done some good things. We won’t agree on Wilson so I’m happy to leave it there.

Back