Morelos - lack of protection from the others

Macdonsj

This from last night infuriated me

Alfie was fighting our corner at every turn
Pointing out the feigning injury, the time wasting, the general arsehole behaviour
He often ended up surrounded by Sheep goading him & trying to incite him to lash out

Not one of ours went to his defence, nobody wanted to either drag him away or get inbetween them to protect Alfie
most notably the vice-captain who went up for a free kick and simply ignored it

a telling factor for me
last season we'd have seen the team rally round

This from last night infuriated me

Alfie was fighting our corner at every turn
Pointing out the feigning injury, the time wasting, the general arsehole behaviour
He often ended up surrounded by Sheep goading him & trying to incite him to lash out

Not one of ours went to his defence, nobody wanted to either drag him away or get inbetween them to protect Alfie
most notably the vice-captain who went up for a free kick and simply ignored it

a telling factor for me
last season we'd have seen the team rally round
Said it at the time. Alfie was trying to punch ball out keepers hands and aberdeen pushing him around i thought at that moment someone needed to get Alfie away from the situation as he could get sent off. Nobody from our side battered an eyelid.

The sheep deployed shit house tactics, like most teams at Ibrox this season. The sheep were experts at it.

We need to wise up to this crap and find some more fight.

I noticed this. 5 guys around Morelos and where is everyone to help? A real and sad indictment of where we are

could you imagine that happening with Gough, Ferguson, Weir etc?
they'd be in there right away

the incident i highlighted with Goldson ignoring him - Tav was on the touchline lining up the free kick so the captain gets a pass for that one

I noticed this at the game too and was raging no-one went to help him. That incident in the penalty box was a disgrace.
I am not one to normally have a go at Tav but I was raging last night that he stayed well away from it and didn't support Alfie.
I am sure last season our players got involved as a team in incidents like this, all looking out for each other.
What the hell has happened this season?

Totally agree, this was evident during subs (Arfield) coming on, Alfie was surrounded by Aberdeen players and looked to be getting heated.
I was shouting for someone to get over and help him.

Feel sorry for Alfredo
The onus is on him to keep scoring goals for the team,when we have a shot shy midfield who won't shoot and are contributing zero goals week in week out.
Even an over the hill Lego is scoring goals.
Don't think Gerrard can change it as it's been obvious too long not to.

Arfield went up to Alfie to take him away from them right at the death. Goldson and Tav, our senior players, are not interested in fighting for us.

I noticed this. 5 guys around Morelos and where is everyone to help? A real and sad indictment of where we are
Seen this one in 2nd half, morelos arguing with 5 of their players and rest of our team standing about the half way line showing no interest.

Only players that showed any fight last night were Aribo and Morelos

Said this on another thread, he was targeted by Brown and that big cheating prick Lewis all night. Especially during set pieces. Not once did any of his team mates back him up or pull him away from the situation. The wee man was left high and dry, infuriating to watch.

I wish Morelos would put more effort and thought into his play than his moaning and groaning around the pitch.

despite having problems scoring in certain games, this season his goals have won games vs Hibs & St Mirren and last night his header dragged us back to the game and contributed to a point
+ he scored in the Europa qualifier, netting us a few million in a tie where we looked like we could still be playing and not have scored

Morelos may have form issues but i cannot fault his effort & desire
and if more had that in them, we would be strolling this league

It was so obvious what the sheep were trying to do. Rile alfie up for him to lash out. The lack of support and involvememt from our captain in these moments is poor imo. Alfie needs support and at times protection from himself.

despite having problems scoring in certain games, this season his goals have won games vs Hibs & St Mirren and last night his header dragged us back to the game and contributed to a point
+ he scored in the Europa qualifier, netting us a few million in a tie where we looked like we could still be playing and not have scored

I can fault his effort and desire.

He picks and chooses the games he knocks his pan in

every team we play the opposition captain is in the refs ear from the 1st whistle Tav tends not to do this , Tav may be a great club captain but we need a leader on the pitch

I've mentioned it before but the whole demeanour of our team around this stuff worries me.

We should be hounding the ref for every free-kick, pointing out every instant of time wasting, and the players should be growling to back each other up on the park. None of it is there.

There has been a few times where we've had what looked like very credible penalty claims, and the surrounding players just saunter away leaving the fouled player sitting there holding his hands up alone. Alarming lack of togetherness compared to last season.

He needs dropped. He has a fraction of the mobility of Roofe, and no pace. He seems to saunter around rather than constantly trying to make runs. He can hold it up well against aggressive defenders and link up well. This season his finishing has been poor. He’s off form and for now needs a spell on the bench. Admittedly he’s had poor service in many games. We need a faster front three. I’d go with Wright Roofe and Kent ( when fit).
Not blaming Alfie, it’s mostly a form issue with him and there are others who are undroppable who could be and the management could change tactics to get in teams faces.

How the lego muncher managed to score is beyond me as he spent most of game niggling Alfie and in Beaton's face
The Orc was the best player on the park last night.

He was everywhere winning headers and tackles.

More effort in his performance than most of our team combined.

Embarrassing for us , but a level of effort our players should be showing

The only consolation is that we didn't allow his goal to be the winner

At some fouls I can agree but the incident with the penalty box and being surrounded by Aberdeen players, we had brought on Arfield during the stoppage and the team were clearly talking to him and the coaching staff on either tactics or a switch in plan / focus.

Sort of highlighted Morelos' game last night for me. Had plenty of opportunities to put pressure on Lewis who's prone to a clanger or two and was too busy trying to barge into Brown than put the pressure onto Lewis.

Spent far too much of the game trying to play the man rather than the ball and was a large reason he had a shite game, goal aside for me.

Fitness issues haven’t been helped by Copa America & no proper pre season.

Played his first match 4 days after arriving IIRC ?

Back