Morelos Latest - £8m Bid Rejected

I know what he said, but The board could justify it by saying Cummings replaces him. Herrera and Miller are the other options. In reality since the window opened and now closed the only loss up top we’ve had is Hardie leaving.

Don’t get me wrong I’m desperate for him to stay. Just a thought...

I think you're overthinking it.
If Cummings was the replacement (which he's not) then we could've/would've sold yesterday.

Herrera/Miller...yer havin a laugh!

Massive gamble from the club knocking this back. If the interest from China goes away come the summer there's no way we are getting 8-10m from a club down south or in Europe for him. Not at this stage in his development.

A marker has been set with regards to his price now . And as stated above Preston players are going for £10m .

Massive gamble from the club knocking this back. If the interest from China goes away come the summer there's no way we are getting 8-10m from a club down south or in Europe for him. Not at this stage in his development.
If this team comes in at the end of February with £10m I’d sell despite the fact we haven’t brought in a replacement in January. As you say we aren’t going to get anywhere near that from an EPL/La Liga in the summer, and the money brought in could be used to add some genuine quality to our squad in the next transfer window.

Is Morelos hacked off now though... i noticed his raised eyebrow at County on Sunday when he was being subbed for Cummings. I would be pissed off if we now have an even more surly child on our hands.

Though... wait, i haven't read the full thread, are the Chinese team still interested and is it true their transfer window hasn't shut yet?

There's only been 2 or 3 players in our history who we have sold for more than 8m.

I still can't get my head around it.

When does the Chinese season run? Does it have the same calendar as us or is it a summer league?

It’s changed days mate , we have been in obscurity for last 5/6 years or we would had much more player of that value to sell at the club .

No offence to @MarkWayneHateley but he has been an absolute drama queen in this thread :D

None taken mate , but I feel strongly about our club, it's all about getting the best team on the park for me but also guys with something about them , and for me Morelos is the type who could put the Yahoos to the sword.

Don't get me wrong if we got £12 million or above regretfully I know we would have to accept.

Saw one of the boys on Twitter say the top scorer in the Danish league just went for £16m, it puts it in perspective a bit more.

A marker has been set with regards to his price now . And as stated above Preston players are going for £10m .

It's all about market value. The Preston player is operating at a higher level than up here, that's the way clubs down south look at it anyway.

Moult probably had similar if not better stats than Morelos for Motherwell this season and he only went for 500k. Granted he was in the last 6 months of his deal but you get my point.

Clubs down south think our game is a laughing stock. For Morelos to attract the guts of 10m from down south he'd need to go down there and prove himself first and then it would happen with his next move, or he'd need to be with us for 2-3 years and be banging in 30 a season whilst also scoring goals in Europe for us etc.

People have lost the plot with regards to Morelos over the last few days. A few weeks ago if there was a thread on it people would probably have been saying 5-6m would be unbelievable business for him.

There is still 4 weeks to go, due diligence will be getting done on the bidding club, by Rangers and Morelos agent. Unfortunately this is not over.
Hope he stays, but IMO £10m and he's away.

I think you're overthinking it.
If Cummings was the replacement (which he's not) then we could've/would've sold yesterday.

Herrera/Miller...yer havin a laugh!

Didn’t say they were any good. Just making the point if it’s a numbers game then it would be one in and one out if Morelos went (ignoring Hardie).

I just hope the boy gets his head down and gets on with it,I posted earlier that we should offer this boy a new contract making him one off the highest earner's at the club with a guaranteed future sell on figure letting him know if a club comes in for him we will not stand in his way.
This boy is a rare gem we have found,if we can keep him to the end of season playing the way he can they will be plenty of suitors, but if he downs tools,and we will find out soon,I am afraid we would have to accept the Chinese offer.

Is Morelos hacked off now though... i noticed his raised eyebrow at County on Sunday when he was being subbed for Cummings. I would be pissed off if we now have an even more surly child on our hands.

Though... wait, i haven't read the full thread, are the Chinese team still interested and is it true their transfer window hasn't shut yet?

I have to say, I notice his head has been down a lot more in recent weeks, and his reaction to coming off against Aberdeen was a bit off (one of the guys I know who sits in GF3 said he tried to go straight down the tunnel until JJ grabbed him and told him to sit down?).

He either cuts a huffy figure until the summer or knuckles down and gets his dream EPL move in the summer for megabucks. Choice is his.

My thoughts yesterday:

For me, we have two options:

1) If Morelos wants to go, we should be telling clubs that it’s not a penny less than £10 million right now.
To get £10m – which would be the highest transfer fee we’ve ever received for a player, and one we only signed six months ago for £1m – would be unbelievable business by the club.

Or

2) We play this right – and by that I mean extend his contract, making him one of the highest paid players at the club.
We tell him that we’ll do everything we can to get him a move in the summer or beyond to a far better country than China.
We then get him scoring goals in OF games, cup finals, the EL and then the CL depending on how long he stays.
If we do this, we’ll get £15 - £20 million for this boy one day.

Either option would be incredible when you consider where we are as a club. The second would be the ideal scenario obviously.

I’m delighted that it looks like we’ve gone for option 2.

Alfredo, go and score the winner in the next OF game and win us the Scottish Cup, and we’ll see what your value’s like in the summer...

I’m delighted that it looks like we’ve gone for option 2.

Alfredo, go and score the winner in the next OF game and win us the Scottish Cup, and we’ll see what your value’s like in the summer...

To be honest, it might not even go as far as option two.

Stay here the rest of the season, another 10/15 goals and the exposure from this lets other clubs know that bidding starts at £8m.

Do it early in the summer and spend a bit of time seeking out a proper replacement.

There is still 4 weeks to go, due diligence will be getting done on the bidding club, by Rangers and Morelos agent. Unfortunately this is not over.
Hope he stays, but IMO £10m and he's away.

If 10mil comes in he's gone. Be annoyed if he wasn't. If we were in the midst of a title race then is say no but otherwise sell

I doubt he will sign a new deal however I think he will be away in the summer. When he does go, we must insist on a sell on clause in his contract as he could play a season or two at a middle league English club then on for a ridiculous fee.

Lots of lolz on this.

I think you'll have to accept that Murty himself said there was doubt over the detail of the offer but you are living in your wee internet bubble choosing what to believe or not to believe because it fits your agenda.

I didn't see the game but I think we dropped more than Morelos in a game in less than ideal conditions but again you are twisting things to suit your agenda.

To be honest as well we've dropped lots of points and been poor with Morelos in the team.

I agree he's an important player for us and I agree losing him is not ideal but in your cast iron world we are easily looking at 10M for the player in the summer eh?

I'm choosing to believe the figure reported in every story on the issue. You are choosing not to in order to back up your bizarre fantasy that he's barely worth £3mill.

If you read anything I've posted on this thread you'll see that I have no cast iron view. Personally I think a £10mill offer could come in if he keeps progressing. It's a gamble but it's a reasonable one. Rangers would appear to agree with me.

In your cast iron view, things that have literally just happened didn't happen and you have a better assessment of his worth at around a quarter of the latest bid than Rangers' staff do.

You say you didn't see the game but choose to argue with my comments on what happened in it. It's a perfect summary of your views. "I'll make up something and demand I'm right with no reference at all to events happening in reality."

Last edited:
Morelos had every right to be huffy when he was subbed v the sheep and at Ross County.

It was only 1-0 in each game, so far from over yet Murty was taking him off. I'd have been f.ucked off with Murty too.

If only our board had a few compliant media lackeys on Radio Snyde, BBC Shortbread or in the Gherald, The Rebel or the Hootsman to big up his value.

Sadly I fear we have few on our side, they are all still firmly in the Lawwell Payola.

Surely with our window shutting that should ass some more value to Morelos

We can’t replace so we need extra money to let him go

Morelos had every right to be huffy when he was subbed v the sheep and at Ross County.

It was only 1-0 in each game, so far from over yet Murty was taking him off. I'd have been f.ucked off with Murty too.
Maybe against the sheep you have a point but he was woeful against County. No player should be happy coming off unless it's 4/5 nil. Just because he was huffy doesn't mean he's unhappy at Murty. He should be frustrated with himself for missing a load of chances.

I don't think he likes the competition. He's not used to it even at his age. He's used to being the main man and he has to learn that this will improve him as a player getting pushed every week.

I tend to agree I don't think it was too clever. However the whole thing seems a bit sketchy doesn't it?

As I said right at the start of all this-it was in theory a good news story-exciting emerging talent worth mega-bucks-club strong enough to turn down offer. We just need to be careful it doesn't become a rod for own back.

Correct mate.

This is where top man management skill are required (to get Alfredo’s head back in the game).

However, I don’t think this will be the end of this saga - despite Murty saying we won’t sell unless we had a equally good replacement lined up.

We can no longer bring in a replacement but are in the position that Alfredo could still leave. Which I think might still happen, in my opinion.

I'm choosing to believe the figure reported in every story on the issue. You are choosing not to in order to back up your bizarre fantasy that he's barely worth £3mill.

If you read anything I've posted on this thread you'll see that I have no cast iron view. Personally I think a £10mill offer could come in if he keeps progressing. It's a gamble but it's a reasonable one. Rangers would appear to agree with me.

In your cast iron view, things that have literally just happened didn't happen and you have a better assessment of his worth at around a quarter of the latest bid than Rangers' staff do.

You say you didn't see the game but choose to argue with my comments on what happened in it. It's a perfect summary of your views. "I'll make up something and demand I'm right with no reference at all to events happening in reality."

Of course it's not just me that's of this opinion plenty of clued up posters on pretty much the same page as me but you've obviously got an attraction to me.

And of course I've never mentioned an actual value for Morelos but I'll put it to you another way-if Windass continues to improve/develop by your measurement he would probably be worth 5M by the summer-that's roughly half of Morelos worth. Indeed if the Chinese bid is a genuine marker we could be looking at 20-30M worth of sales out of the club with our better players going. I think you are getting carried away mate, seriously.

I didn't need to see the game to know it was a weakened team in bad conditions-Morelos wasn't the only omission. Keep trying to bend things, it's a laugh but it does make you look ridiculous.

The real cast iron views are those who are suggesting this whole thing can only go one way and a pretty unusual and unverified bid is a real marker for both Morelos value and club selling policy. It's not very well thought out.

Of course it's not just me that's of this opinion plenty of clued up posters on pretty much the same page as me but you've obviously got an attraction to me.

And of course I've never mentioned an actual value for Morelos but I'll put it to you another way-if Windass continues to improve/develop by your measurement he would probably be worth 5M by the summer-that's roughly half of Morelos worth. Indeed if the Chinese bid is a genuine marker we could be looking at 20-30M worth of sales out of the club with our better players going. I think you are getting carried away mate, seriously.

I didn't need to see the game to know it was a weakened team in bad conditions-Morelos wasn't the only omission. Keep trying to bend things, it's a laugh but it does make you look ridiculous.

The real cast iron views are those who are suggesting this whole thing can only go one way and a pretty unusual and unverified bid is a real marker for both Morelos value and club selling policy. It's not very well thought out.

Clued up posters agree with you on what? That we have not rejected a bid of £8mill? That he's not a particularly good striker? Can't say I'm seeing anyone clued up saying that.

You are now extending your little fantasy world to create opinions for me so you can argue with them. It's a bit weird but probably marginally better than arguing with reality as you often do so well done on the progress. You appear to have a rather naive view of players' worth based solely on goals. Morelos' large valuation is not based on his scoring exploits. It is based on the fact that his physique and gamestyle ideally suits the common 1 up formation. The fact that he has this in his locker *and* is a prolific goalscorer adds hugely to his value. Players with these attributes are relatively rare and scarcity creates value. Windass is a much more common type of player and is less good at what he does. He'll go for a fair wad of cash but nothing like Morelos. What do you value Windass at? Given we turned down a £500k offer, are you going for £250k?

We played a weakened team but we also played against a much poorer side. And my comments are based on how we played. We didn't change formation. We played 4,2,3,1 with Cummings as the 1. And, irrespective of the players around him, Cummings was noticeably less capable of holding the ball and bringing midfield into play. Without having watched the game, it's really hard for you to argue with that assessment unless you just assume that you are always right without the need for any evidence.

Nobody is saying that this can only go one way. But you keep saying reality is not real to justify your rigid arguments. It's bizarre.

As for you never having given an assessment of his worth, quote from back at the start of the thread:

I'm also not going to rubbish Morelos as I think he has came on leaps and bounds but I do think a pretty decent/good striker in the 2/3M mark would easily have scored the goals he has-you need to factor in just how many chances he misses."

Clued up posters agree with you on what? That we have not rejected a bid of £8mill? That he's not a particularly good striker? Can't say I'm seeing anyone clued up saying that.

You are now extending your little fantasy world to create opinions for me so you can argue with them. It's a bit weird but probably marginally better than arguing with reality as you often do so well done on the progress. You appear to have a rather naive view of players' worth based solely on goals. Morelos' large valuation is not based on his scoring exploits. It is based on the fact that his physique and gamestyle ideally suits the common 1 up formation. The fact that he has this in his locker *and* is a prolific goalscorer adds hugely to his value. Players with these attributes are relatively rare and scarcity creates value. Windass is a much more common type of player and is less good at what he does. He'll go for a fair wad of cash but nothing like Morelos. What do you value Windass at? Given we turned down a £500k offer, are you going for £250k?

We played a weakened team but we also played against a much poorer side. And my comments are based on how we played. We didn't change formation. We played 4,2,3,1 with Cummings as the 1. And, irrespective of the players around him, Cummings was noticeably less capable of holding the ball and bringing midfield into play. Without having watched the game, it's really hard for you to argue with that assessment unless you just assume that you are always right without the need for any evidence.

Nobody is saying that this can only go one way. But you keep saying reality is not real to justify your rigid arguments. It's bizarre.

As for you never having given an assessment of his worth, quote from back at the start of the thread:

First thing first I gave a fee for a replacement for Morelos or the money required to replace him at his current level of performance-that striker might be 28 or 30 or whatever-I think accept if you sell a younger player you are selling potential clubs will pay for that.
But to put it another way because you aren't really getting beyond the hype-do you think if we replaced Morelos with 8M invested in another player we wouldn't get a better one?

As for you expert assessment on Morelos I would refer you to the fact that we don't seem to have had a single bid from anyone else-how can all these clubs be missing what you see? My view on it-clubs will be watching him, they will be agreeing with some of your analysis but what you are missing is the flaws in his game and his inconsistency-that's what they are waiting to see especially his misses and lack of spatial awareness (or knows where the goals are) which are frankly well below where they need to be. If Morelos had these already he wouldn't be here-he'd be off already and if he can develop them then he will became a seriously hot property.

I'm not going to argue with you over the detail of a game I never saw but you did present it initially as Morelos pretty much being the reason for it being scrappy-we've played plenty of scrappy games with him in the team.

I've told you before-these are the best types of arguments-we'll get to see the player develop and we will know the final fee he goes for. So maybe you should calm down a bit and see what happens I honestly believe this quoted figure has made people forget Morelos isn't the finished article.

Kheredine from the BBC saying that Beijing Renhe deny making any bid for Morelos, and their foreign player quote is full, which a levy on foreign signinsg over $7 mill

Kheredine from the BBC saying that Beijing Renhe deny making any bid for Morelos, and their foreign player quote is full, which a levy on foreign signinsg over $7 mill

Well either his 'source close to Beijing Renhe' (how the fück does he have that source?) is being economical with the truth or Murty is making stuff up.

I think it's pretty clear which is the truth here.

He simply cannot be sold now with no proper replacement able to come in until the summer now regardless of what may be offered this month before the Chinese transfer window shuts.

Funny thing is that he didn,t report that there wasn,t a 14 000 000 bid for dembele only an equiry..bit strange that.
Well either his 'source close to Beijing Renhe' (how the fück does he have that source?) is being economical with the truth or Murty is making stuff up.

I think it's pretty clear which is the truth here.
Or possibly since their bid didn,t come off they are now trying to say there was no bid

Strange - did the BBC pursue the Dembele linked clubs to see if the bids were true?

Strange - did the BBC pursue the Dembele linked clubs to see if the bids were true?

Jim White was on the Open Goal podcast this week, said he had spoken to the Brighton chairman who had basically said there was no approach whatsoever for Dembele.

Let the haters spout their Shite.

Their arrogance and obsession about all we do will be their undoing.

Agreed.

I hope that every single mentally challenged continues to buy the admin 2 rumours, calls bullshit on the Morelos deal etc.. because before they know it we'll be right there with them & they'll crumble!

The lad's head won't go down. Looked in good spirits last night.

c0f8qxK.jpg

Back