Morelos & McGregor

Morelos deserved a yellow card for being an idiot,rolling about like he had been shot. McGregor did what goalkeepers do all the time ,protect themselves. He didn’t move his leg left,right,up nor down,he left it where it was. Could he have moved it out the way? Probably but why should he? It’s one of those if it’s your player no action,if it’s an opponent ,well we’ve all seen what’s happened.
Rolling about after a bad tackle (or kick in the head) does not 'deserve' a booking.

No way did Alfie deserve a ban. That was media instigated.

McGregor can sometimes be a bit naughty when gathering a ball with an oncoming attacker. He used to do it first time round also. Not sure if he’s just protecting himself each time. But I’m on the fence on this one. Jury’s our for me so not surprised he was cited.

Does anyone else think that both deserved to be given the bans ?
My personal view on both was that it wouldn't have surprised me if both got bans because both in certain ways looked dangerous.
The real problem is why some incidents get punished and others get away with it, that's the problem that SFA has created but again both Morelos and McGregor deserved in my honest view to be banned.
No, the real problem to me seems that the mhedia actively scan the footage deliberately looking for anything that may highlight our players in a negative light. Then the authorities invariably listen to them. That ain't the case with other clubs/incidents. And this happens every game.

It worries me slightly if people are saying none of the 2 incidents were worthy of a red, it makes me think some are unable to judge the incident without bias.

Morelos was not a red imo but McGregor's was.

I was hoping in the end Greegsy may get off after Power got away with his incident which was a lot worse but the incident on it's own was reckless and he has had a few silly digs at players a couple of times already this season.

i can see why both have been given bans and neither player helped themselves. The problem is around consistency and its the hatred in scottish football thats fueling that.

There is a compliance officer in England but when do you ever hear about them in the news? When do you hear fans call out on social media etc to have certain incidents looked at? It just doesn't happen.

The SFA and SPFL need to realise that things are different here and come up with a better way of working things otherwise its going to be happening after every game. He who shouts loudest is heard...

Neither were worthy of red cards or bans.

See these folk saying Alfie gave the ref a decision to make? That is literally what the purpose of the referee is. I bet you also say 'Yeah, we won 4-0, but if it wasn't for our keeper we'd have lost'.

Also, re his theatrics- I want our players using every trick in the book to gain an advantage. We're in a fight here where the only side adhering to the rules is us and we're getting shafted for it. Pundits have long used the phrase 'he feels contact so he's entitled to go down'. That's as accepted as the free hit in the first 10 mins rule that exists in Scottish football. Use them. Give the ref a decision to make every single time. Crowd him like Fergie's Man U did. Demand the opponent be booked after a bad challenge. Stop giving these cunts an easy ride, and stop caring what the likes of Michael Stewart might say later. They want to make life difficult for us? Have it back tenfold.

The campaign to get Mcgregor banned started with Andy Walker during the game and continued with the BBC later that night - you knew he was getting a ban after that
Morelos was banned for no other reason than it was him that was involved. Anyone else would have got a yellow at most.
Next one they have their sights on is Defoe

They were both scrappy looking incidents but I don't think Greegsy should have been cited and banned when taking into account other incidents in Scottish football that week.

Even if McGregor left a boot in, there were so many similar and worse tackles that his being cited, and not others, could be considered unfair and the result of 'trial by television' and in the press. No-one is saying he did nothing whatsoever, but consistency would mean either McGregor and others (Power, Brown, Simunovic), or none at all. It just being Greegsy was a bit of a sham.

On Morelos I don't think his scuffle quite merited a red, but he was asking for it leaving a boot in and the ref was eager to send him off. What made it 100% impossible for that card to be rescinded on appeal was that every paper had a backpage image that made it look as if Alfredo was stamping on McKenna's baws.

McGregor - if it was deemed an offence then it should have been done at the time. What I cannot get my head around is Ferguson doing the exact same thing in retibution in the same game and he gets a booking but AM gets a two game ban.

Morelos incident was handbags and both players should have got yellows but then again if Alan McGregor is deemed dangerous play then what was Mckennas kick out deemed as. You have to remember that McGregor was also done for swiping fresh air in the past.

In October 2010 McGregor was given a one match retrospective ban by the SFA for kicking out at Aberdeen player Chris Maguire even though no contact was made.[

Quite surprised to see a few agreeing with McGregor's ban. I was coming on thinking I would be going against the grain by saying I think he did clearly do Ferguson, but I'm obviously not alone.

Morelos at absolute worst was a yellow.

The McGregor one though, anyone who's played the game knows that he's tried to do Ferguson there. Yes he's entitled to protect himself, but he went a bit beyond that. You can plead technically that it's within the laws of the game, but I think he went a wee bit too high and too far with it.

As others have already stated though, it's the lack of continuity and consistency that's the problem.

I believe the worst incident of all those highlighted was Power on Jack, with Simunovic a close second. Both very dangerous to their opponent, and Power I believe the excuse was that there was insufficient evidence? FFS, it was live on tv with various replays. It's fucking brutal.
You could plead he didn't know what was behind him, but in that case FFS you can't just throw a boot around at head height hoping you don't connect with somebody. It's dangerous play, or whatever the correct terminology would be for it.

Has Simunovic actually been mentioned anywhere by anyone in the media?

I can accept that both MAY deserve a ban, although I personally think they were hard done by. My problem with the whole issue is the inequality in the system. Power was just one of a long line of players who tried to hurt a Rangers player and got off Scot free. Anyone in a hooped jersey is given free reign to dive, kick, elbow etc. There were three obvious examples in their recent game with Hivs. IMHO Scottish football as a sport is finished.

Can't believe there are bears defending Morelos's red card. There are plenty of videos from numerous angles showing he had no intent of putting his foot where it ended up. It was dragged there by McKennas foot as he lashed out from the ground. There was some pushing and shoving before the incident with both giving as good as they got and Alfie overdid the rolling around but that was a yellow at worst.

McGregor's was harsh and might have been difficult to argue against had he been sent off at the time. The retrospective shit with Madden claiming he didn't see the incident was ludicrous and exposes the agenda.

What on earth are people looking at to say Morelos deserved his red card?

He literally did absolutely nothing in that incident. Nothing at all.

Anybody who claims he deserves it has been taken in hook like and sinker by the agenda pushed by the media.

To merit a red card for violent conduct then excessive force or brutality must be used. In the footage hes actually doing all he can to stop himself causing injury to McKenna.

Its utterly bizarre any Rangers fan has bought into this shite about him.

MacGregor made a completely normal dive. No case to answer at all.

Morelos’ foot got hooked on the sheep player’s leg that brought it onto his groin. Initial contact was accidental. Certain no stamp. Morelos left it there a bit longer than he had to and gave him a mild toe in the nuts. You can make an argument that he was unbalanced trying to stop himself landing on top of McKenna but I can see it being perceived that he left it dangling on purpose and his reaction kinda backs that up. I can see it being a red. But a soft one. And not in the slightest worthy of further comment. Ferguson’s book in MacGregor’s balls later was far more violent but no one questions it being a yellow.

The "golden rule" for me, on any refereeing decision, is to ask how you would view the incident if it happened in reverse.

In Alfie's case, if one of our centre-halfs is caught up with an Aberdeen forward and kicks out while the Aberdeen striker's foot flicks him in the Kelvins, then I think we'd be raging if the sheep player didn't receive the same punishment as ours. So it is what it is and move on!

The Shagger incident is different because it's dealt with after the event, however I would say that had the Aberdeen goalie caught, say, Defoe like that, I'd be looking for a pen and, at least a yellow, so not too much trouble with that either.

The problem is, and make no mistake it is a problem, the massive inconsistencies in the review process which we invariably seem to come off the worst from. Review the McGregor incident by all means, but then the Ferguson retaliation, the Broonaldo assault, the Simunovic elbow, the Burke dying swan, the Power karate kick, the McGinn elbow etc. all have to go through the same process.

And it's not only the selection of what to review it's the "kangaroo court" that follows.....Candieas sending off allowed to stand?!?, Jack red v the sheep last season allowed to stand?!? And the "flexibility" of the "if the referee took action" rule which seems to only affect certain clubs. A few wee well aimed jibes by the manager at press conference can have a much greater affect than "Club Statements" IMHO.

The "golden rule" for me, on any refereeing decision, is to ask how you would view the incident if it happened in reverse.

In Alfie's case, if one of our centre-halfs is caught up with an Aberdeen forward and kicks out while the Aberdeen striker's foot flicks him in the Kelvins, then I think we'd be raging if the sheep player didn't receive the same punishment as ours. So it is what it is and move on!

The Shagger incident is different because it's dealt with after the event, however I would say that had the Aberdeen goalie caught, say, Defoe like that, I'd be looking for a pen and, at least a yellow, so not too much trouble with that either.

The problem is, and make no mistake it is a problem, the massive inconsistencies in the review process which we invariably seem to come off the worst from. Review the McGregor incident by all means, but then the Ferguson retaliation, the Broonaldo assault, the Simunovic elbow, the Burke dying swan, the Power karate kick, the McGinn elbow etc. all have to go through the same process.

And it's not only the selection of what to review it's the "kangaroo court" that follows.....Candieas sending off allowed to stand?!?, Jack red v the sheep last season allowed to stand?!? And the "flexibility" of the "if the referee took action" rule which seems to only affect certain clubs. A few wee well aimed jibes by the manager at press conference can have a much greater affect than "Club Statements" IMHO.

Morelos DOES NOT kick out though. At any point.

So your theory is flawed straight away!

Morelos DOES NOT kick out though. At any point.

So your theory is flawed straight away!

Are you telling me that had, say, Goldson reacted to a similar clash with Cosgrove in exactly the way that McKenna did with Alfie, you'd have considered it fair that only Goldson got the early bath?? Aye ok then!

Where did I say the Morelos kicked out at anyone? Just asking!

This highlights how difficult a job the referee on the field has. We're what, 2 weeks after the incident and still have differing views on a Rangers forum. I personally don't think the issue is whether 1, both or neither deserved a ban. The issue is the clear inconsistency and unwillingness to cite or ban any of the St Pats players who recently commited as as bad if not worse fouls than what McGregor and Morelos commited.

The morelos incident looked bad until you watched it properly. he did nothing wrong. couldn't do a thing about where is foot went, but if you wanted to see a red, then it could look like he kicked him. and there is a lot of people wanting to see a red

The morelos incident looked bad until you watched it properly. he did nothing wrong. couldn't do a thing about where is foot went, but if you wanted to see a red, then it could look like he kicked him. and there is a lot of people wanting to see a red
Including some bears based on their contributions to this thread.

Morelos was silly and certainly needs to grow up a bit but yellow card at most for me. McGregor I think knew what we was doing and I’d say red card.

I don't think McGregor's was a red but has got away with a few stupid incidents this season and one was bound to catch up with him, ill take the red over them getting a penalty, us down to 9 men and probably the 3 points pissed down a drain

If only Geegs would learn how to be a Kung fu goalie as that seems to be within the rules.
It opens up a whole new ballgame as I now would expect all goalies to be sent off and given an extra game for protecting them selves , no other punishment can now be handed out.
Sporting Integrity Must be upheld by our CO and if she fails then our club should go for her no matter if we are involved or not.

Imo, McGregor done Ferguson.
Let’s not kid on he’s an angel he has previous for this sort of stuff (as most keepers do) I don’t have an issue with the ban in isolation, however when you look at other recent incidents with Ferguson on him, Brown, Simunovic, Power & the forearm smash by a st midden player I think it was then the ban is unjust.
Morelos I think went to stand on him then pulled out of it. So I think his ban is bollocks, at least the length of it.

Sums it up for me

Are you telling me that had, say, Goldson reacted to a similar clash with Cosgrove in exactly the way that McKenna did with Alfie, you'd have considered it fair that only Goldson got the early bath?? Aye ok then!

Where did I say the Morelos kicked out at anyone? Just asking!

Ok apologies read start of your post wrong.

Point still stands though. Morelos did nothing.

Whether I would or wouldn't be shouting for a red for Aberdeen player in same circumstances is irrelevant. I'm not impartial.

The 3 man panel are. Or at least meant to be and it is staggering that they see a red card worthy deliberate action which has to be in their own rules "with excessive force or brutality".

How can you possibly have seen the replay of Morelos from behind the pitch and come to the conclusion that he even deserved punishment at all, let alone a red card?

Utterly baffling!

It's my opinion mate. Just like you have yours

Back