Morelos miss - should have been a pen

Huge bobble when it was only a couple of yards away, really doesn’t have the time
to adjust. He really made an arse of the other chance though where he took an age to get the ball under control.
He had four great opportunities and scored one.

I really like him and he’s got the goal that matters to be fair but I don’t think he is clinical enough. He has too many days where he’s way too loose.

Nobody scores them all but I don’t think the precise way we now play is suited to him. I think we dish out a real hammering tonight with Roofe up top.

I really like him and he’s got the goal that matters to be fair but I don’t think he is clinical enough. He has too many days where he’s way too loose.

Nobody scores them all but I don’t think the precise way we now play is suited to him. I think we dish out a real hammering tonight with Roofe up top.
Get your point about not being clinical enough, I think its in his head half the time although hes not the most natural finisher -but tbf, hes never hid when he's missing chances, he's adapted his game and he's doing so much for the team. Feels inevitable he'll be away in the summer, im just desperate for him to have a couple of months on fire before he goes.

I’ve seen Roofe miss big chances too though, I’ve also seen Roofe go through games more or less invisible. To be honest I think Roofe’s a cracking player but I do think people tend to gloss over missed chances by others and put every and any Morelos chance under the microscope.

Also have to say I’m struggling to remember a 4th clear scoring opportunity Alfie had....

Last edited:
Need to look at it again.
Im always praising Alfie but I was so desperate for a second goal tonight.
It ended up hitting not far below his knee. I said in the match thread he should’ve taken a touch after the bobble but it was a reaction from him.

He was set up to hit it with his left then after the flick and bobble up he instinctively throws his right leg at it.

I’ve seen Roofe miss big chances too though, I’ve also seen Roofe go through games more or less invisible. To be honest I think Roofe’ Sa a cracking player but I do think people tend to gloss over missed changes by others and put every and any Morelos chance under the microscope.

Also have to say I’m struggling to remember a 4th clear scoring opportunity Alfie had....
Defoe hit the post from a yard out with nobody near him this season and nobody batted an eyelid.

Defoe hit the post from a yard out with nobody near him this season and nobody batted an eyelid.

Defoe missed several guilt edged chances last season too, a couple which actually resulted in dropped points, but you won’t hear much said about that either....

I’ve seen Roofe miss big chances too though, I’ve also seen Roofe go through games more or less invisible. To be honest I think Roofe’ Sa a cracking player but I do think people tend to gloss over missed changes by others and put every and any Morelos chance under the microscope.

Agree totally with you.

Fair enough mate but I disagree. I think Roofe has been great in just about every game for us bar the filth game when he was injured. For me he has better movement, is quicker, attacks crosses better and has a better touch to get his shot off in tight situations. He misses them, like every forward, but the stats show he’s more clinical.

That’s not to say Alfie is poor, just that Roofe is superior and suits us better as as our style has developed.

The 4 clear chances were the goal, the sitter from Joe’s flick right after, the delayed one one one from Kent’s through ball and the first half half-hit shot from the left centre of the the box after Kent’s run.

His goal and the one where the ball bubbled up and the one with the ball over the top .
What else ?

Fair enough mate but I disagree. I think Roofe has been great in just about every game for us bar the filth game when he was injured. For me he has better movement, is quicker, attacks crosses better and has a better touch to get his shot off in tight situations. He misses them, like every forward, but the stats show he’s more clinical.

That’s not to say Alfie is poor, just that Roofe is superior and suits us better as as our style has developed.

the 4 chances were the goal, the sitter from Joe’s flick right after, the delayed one one from Kent’s through ball and the first half half-hit shot from the left centre of the the box after Kent’s run.

Im not giving you the first half effort, he got the shot away and it was blocked, he didn’t really do anything wrong there. To me that’s an example of a chance that wouldn’t be described as clear cut or one that should have been converted were it Defoe or Roofe.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion mate, I do think Roofe has attributes that are superior to Alfie’s, tighter control and getting his shots off I agree with, quicker too. But he has had at least 3 or 4 games where you’d have barely known he was on the pitch and he’s given the opposition defence a relatively easy ride. I also don’t doubt he’s far more clinical than Alfie at the moment and that our current system suits him better, but it would be interesting to compare to the Alfie from the first half of last season where it felt like he was bagging nearly every chance that came his way.

Im not giving you the first half effort, he got the shot away and it was blocked, he didn’t really do anything wrong there. To me that’s an example of a chance that wouldn’t be described as clear cut or one that should have been converted were it Defoe or Roofe.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion mate, I do think Roofe has attributes that are superior to Alfie’s, tighter control and getting his shots off I agree with, quicker too. But he has had at least 3 or 4 games where you’d have barely known he was on the pitch and he’s given the opposition defence a relatively easy ride. I also don’t doubt he’s far more clinical than Alfie at the moment and that our current system suits him better, but it would be interesting to compare to the Alfie from the first half of last season where it felt like he was bagging nearly every chance that came his way.
Honest disagreement then mate. I actually think the affection we have for Alfie coming from the fact he was all we had for a period and because of the way he’s treated on and off the field means he’s forgiven for a chance conversion ratio and moments of ill discipline that others wouldn’t be.

He’s on his right foot inside the box first half but doesn’t strike it cleanly. It’s the worst of the 4 but it’s still a very decent chance.

Anyway, let’s all hope he puts a decent run of goals together before he goes.

Honest disagreement then mate. I actually think the affection we have for Alfie coming from the fact he was all we had for a period and because of the way he’s treated on and off the field means he’s forgiven for a chance conversion ratio and moments of ill discipline that others wouldn’t be.

He’s on his right foot inside the box first half but doesn’t strike it cleanly. It’s the worst of the 4 but it’s still a very decent chance.

Anyway, let’s all hope he puts a decent run of goals together before he goes.
Personally I think hes really unlucky for the "tap in" one. It clearly hits him in the calf after a bad bobble. Maybe he could do more, i doubt it, but i suppose its an opinion. The one I do agree with is the Kent ball over the top. I've no idea why he takes so long. 1 hounce and hit for me. That pitch isn't conducive to trying to be cute. I thought hitting it on the bounce first time was far and away the better option.

At the end of the day though, hes back among the goals and it can only help our cause to have 3 great options like we have. So i agree and disagree with you mate.

Personally I think hes really unlucky for the "tap in" one. It clearly hits him in the calf after a bad bobble. Maybe he could do more, i doubt it, but i suppose its an opinion. The one I do agree with is the Kent ball over the top. I've no idea why he takes so long. 1 hounce and hit for me. That pitch isn't conducive to trying to be cute. I thought hitting it on the bounce first time was far and away the better option.

At the end of the day though, hes back among the goals and it can only help our cause to have 3 great options like we have. So i agree and disagree with you mate.

Won us both games at Pittodrie and Easter Road. Can’t argue with that really!

Morelos slightly adjusts for the deflection, but then it bobbles, it’s just bad luck.
I think that he missed by so much, you’ve got to look at how and why.
Then you see how far up his leg the ball hit him and, again, you ask why.
Then you see the bobble.
Too many people make up their minds without looking at the detail.

I think that he missed by so much, you’ve got to look at how and why.
Then you see how far up his leg the ball hit him and, again, you ask why.
Then you see the bobble.
Too many people make up their minds without looking at the detail.

Too many people don't understand the subtleties mate. Its clearly a bad bounce. In real time it didn't look it, on replay its clear as day. It literally hit his calf. Not sure what more he could do there.

a0GXUyr.png

Fuller image for a bit more context. Looks pretty blatant to me.
Didn't Father Clancy give a penalty to his favourite team against Katic for a similar incident?
Oh yes he did.

Never saw the shirt pull till now, yup penalty for me. IIRC theres barely been a penalty given for a shirt pull in the last 13 months.

As for the miss, huge bobble as it came to him.

Didn't Father Clancy give a penalty to his favourite team against Katic for a similar incident?
Oh yes he did.

Another comparison to be drawn on both games is that he played over and above the allotted injury time added on. A small thing, but sneaky nonetheless.

I did note however, he was quite sharp to blow his whistle for half time as soon as we won a corner.

Interestingly enough it's Porteous again. What a piece of excrement that boy is. If he was our player he would barely finish a match but he gets away with all sorts, particularly against us. I hate the referees in the backwater of a league.

No because it’s not a penalty. Was aribo complaining? Did any our players ask for the penalty? No they didn’t.
Our players don’t have to ask for a penalty and shouldn’t
It’s the referees job, along with the linesmen, to give decisions on foul play
Based on the image in post 16 the linesman has an interrupted view of the incident if if the ref hasn’t seen it

Back