Morelos - New Deal?

He’ll definitely be up there as a top earner already but I’d be desperate to give him a new deal

If he doesn't then we need to get as much as possible for him and sell.
Awful prospect.
But he cannot be allowed to go on a free.

Yes I know ultimately he will decide.

I’m torn between keeping our more valuable players who have been here a while and taking as much money in as we can and building the team round Lowry and Bassey.

Honestly I think he’s so important to next season that I’d let him leave on a free. Short sighted, absolutely, but he has more than repaid the £1m we spent for him, and £40m of CL money is at stake in these summer qualifiers.

I think we will sell Aribo, Barisic and Kamara in the summer, possibly Kent too.

In my opinion I would offer Morelos a new deal and make him the highest paid player at the club.

He loves the club, is settled, we have a manager who speaks Spanish and again in my opinion we could build a team around him.
100% if he wants to, get him a fit and able partner and build around them and a solid spine.

We probably won’t sell all our prize assets in one go so some will remain, but I feel this is the end for a good few of them and Alfie is one I think we’ve reached a natural coda with, especially as he only has one year left on his deal.

Will anyone bite though?

All day long I'd try and sign Alfie up to a new deal. If he was playing last night we'd all be sitting pissed just now still celebrating. He'd have kept them worried at the back and created a bit more space for Kent and Tavernier to work their magic. Alfie never seems to look nervous. Last night we looked nervous at the start, he would have helped settle the team with his cockiness.

A few threads on here about how we will do in Europe over the next few seasons. Alfie comes alive under the floodlights when the UEFA flag is on the Bill Struth Stand. He is one of the main reasons we are now a team to be reckoned with in Europe which is great.

100% if he wants to, get him a fit and able partner and build around them and a solid spine.
Therein lies the problem with Morelos.
His style of play is such that he doesn’t have/want/need a partner.
The problem then becomes when he’s unavailable, the drop in class of his replacement is too big, or, we need to change system to accommodate a partnership.
Maybe, if his “partner” wasn’t another striker but a genuine number ten who could support him it’d be easier.
Either way, Morelos is pretty much irreplaceable.
Unless somebody can tell me another player with the same style and qualities.

He’s a massive reason that the part of the season was vital

Of course. But he should never have gone to Colombia carrying a knock, especially when he never even made the bench in January - and moreso given our schedule of huge games.

This is a thread suggesting he should be our highest paid player. These things must be considered.

I’d be delighted if we tied down Alfie.

By far our best player.

Would be happy to see Kent and Aribo go and reinvest in those attacking positions.

Therein lies the problem with Morelos.
His style of play is such that he doesn’t have/want/need a partner.
The problem then becomes when he’s unavailable, the drop in class of his replacement is too big, or, we need to change system to accommodate a partnership.

Maybe, if his “partner” wasn’t another striker but a genuine number ten who could support him it’d be easier.
Either way, Morelos is pretty much irreplaceable.
Unless somebody can tell me another player with the same style and qualities.
Decent point. Never thought about it like that before.

I think we will sell Aribo, Barisic and Kamara in the summer, possibly Kent too.

In my opinion I would offer Morelos a new deal and make him the highest paid player at the club.

He loves the club, is settled, we have a manager who speaks Spanish and again in my opinion we could build a team around him.

I would love Morelos to extend. If he does he has a great chance to be second top, or even top, of the EL Goal Scorer table.

I thought him deciding to walk out to see the fans was really optimistic. I think there’s a real chance he will extend.

The big risk that no one wants to face is big Calvin leaving. Surely there will already be clubs sniffing about ?

I think Calvin & Joe will likely go ?

No chance are we selling half our starting 11 in the summer. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest, but if people seriously think we're going to sell Kent, Aribo, Kamara, Morelos, Bassey and more, all in one window, then you're off your heid.

All day long I'd try and sign Alfie up to a new deal. If he was playing last night we'd all be sitting pissed just now still celebrating. He'd have kept them worried at the back and created a bit more space for Kent and Tavernier to work their magic. Alfie never seems to look nervous. Last night we looked nervous at the start, he would have helped settle the team with his cockiness.

A few threads on here about how we will do in Europe over the next few seasons. Alfie comes alive under the floodlights when the UEFA flag is on the Bill Struth Stand. He is one of the main reasons we are now a team to be reckoned with in Europe which is great.

Ryan Jack himself touched on your point at the end of the Dortmund away match.

He said we could see that The Buff was in the mood & that inspired the others.

Yes,give alfie an extension,but it's time to offload mc gregor,goldson,davis and potentially roofe & jack (purely on their injury records).....time to really blood the young team in now and stand up and be counted,can't keep them on a leash forever.

Realistically we could get robbed of most of the team in the summer,.money talks and most have been outstanding this season.

This year is where we really see the boards resolve and intentions for the club going forward -all based on who goes, how much they go for and who we bring in.

Likely he’s one of our best paid players of all time

Id be astonished if he is still a Rangers player next season - as much as id love it

I’m the opposite. With his injury and lack of international minutes his stock is not going to be very high this summer. Doubt that he’s getting the move he wants at the moment.

Makes sense for both parties to extend and I’m certain he will.

If he signs an extension on same terms then great, but I don’t think he will.
Fact of the matter is we need 2 strikers in the door if he goes. 3 if we punt Itten

Playing for your country is still a huge sense of pride to many and no matter what player we buy if he is top drawer you are going to have the same issues.

FIFA need to sort out the. SFA and not allow matches to be played during breaks.Maybe turn things like the November/February/June international break into 3 week Association shut downs and play 4 Internationals in that time so can take away a couple of international dates and that way club football always shut too allow this. And to add we should scrap the League Cup to allow for less fixtures in a season

Honestly I think he’s so important to next season that I’d let him leave on a free. Short sighted, absolutely, but he has more than repaid the £1m we spent for him, and £40m of CL money is at stake in these summer qualifiers.
This could be an option for us, say we sell Aribo, Kent, Kamara, if we lost Morelos too then our attack next season will be completely different, it may be worth it just to keep some continuity, would greatly increase our chances of winning the league next season - but it would be a bit of a gamble

It will come down to what system Gio wants to play and how many of our players fit into his ideas. If he wants a Morelos up front then that is fine but if he wants to play two strikers then Alfie doesn't fit as he likes being the lone guy up front. So, we sell him and use the money for two lesser strikers. Assuming we get at least 10 million for him that gives us 5 for each new striker. or 9 for 1 and 1 for the other.

Of course I am predicating this on our Board giving Gio enough money which has yet to be seen.

Back